Kliff Kingsbury

CR

Yahoo Sports reporting he will get interviewed for Jets and Cardinals HC job. Turned down the Houston Cougars job already. I can't remember a coach being fired from a pretty mediocre program like Texas Tech and suddenly being the hot candidate at bigger and better jobs. Did Texas Tech make a huge mistake or is he being overvalued by other teams?

9 minutes ago, CR said:

Yahoo Sports reporting he will get interviewed for Jets and Cardinals HC job. Turned down the Houston Cougars job already. I can't remember a coach being fired from a pretty mediocre program like Texas Tech and suddenly being the hot candidate at bigger and better jobs. Did Texas Tech make a huge mistake or is he being overvalued by other teams?

Houston being interested in him made sense, but NFL programs eyeing him for HC vacancies is a little confusing.  It would be hard to argue that Texas Tech made a mistake in firing him, as he was there for 6 years and had a losing Big 12 record in every one of them.  I do not necessarily think he is a bad coach, but I do think he may have bitten off more than he could chew by jumping to head coach so quickly.

Update. Lynn Swann the USC AD, denied NFL teams the opportunity to interview Kingsbury. According to Pro Football Talk he may simply resign from USC and seek employment elsewhere. Seems a really shortsighted move on Swann's part.

2 hours ago, eibua12 said:

That would be a huge gamble on KK part. 

Maybe, but an NFL OC position seems to be almost a worst case scenario for him at this point. If anything, I bet he wishes he hadn't taken the USC OC job. And I think Swann refusing to let him interview for a HC job will hurt USC going forward. I can't remember an assistant coach being denied the opportunity to interview for a HC position elsewhere. Just really seems counterproductive.

Archived