Men get New Mexico State as 5 seed

AU64

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If CPB is on his game, he will have the players running up and down the aisle in the aircraft on the way to Salt Lake.  The altitude in the cabin at 35000ft is around 7000ft.  If he doesn’t, it will be a missed opportunity. 

You're hired.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

For the people complaining about the seeding a few weeks ago we were worried if we would even get into the tournament

Auburn has been projected in the tournament for months now. Some were wondering but not all. Ken Pom, BPI, and Sagarin all continued to say Auburn was pretty safe. Winning the last 8 helped with seeding. 

13 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Sucks we are a 5. I hate being a 5. Almost every tourney a 5 loses to a 12. 

It's horrible the brackets were filled out last night. That fact alone should get the sec to move the championship game to Saturday. If they want their championship game to mean ANYTHING that is...

Also, Marcello didn't say anything negative about Auburn. Jeez you guys always find something to complain about when it comes to him. You all (who constantly kick on him) won't be happy until he leaves and covers someone else. He stated a fact. The fact is they haven't lost since a couple days after New Year's Day. That's what he stated. Was it filled with Auburn fluff? No. He stated a fact. Not everything has to be tinted orange and blue.

Agreed.  I find Marcello  to be pretty objective.  If you think he’s anti-Auburn, listen to this podcast.  He seems pretty high on them to me. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-auburn-undercover-podcast/id1275945112?mt=2&i=1000432157857

11 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Watching the highlights from their Kansas game and GCU game for conference title, NMSt. can shoot the 3 and move the ball pretty well. They can probably hang with us in the matching 3s game unless we are lights out.  They average about 10 a game I believe.  I doubt they have played a defense the way we have played lately. Again these were only highlights, so not sure how well if a down low presence they have etc. This will probably be a good, close first half.  I suspect we will have a run in the 2nd half to win by 10-15. Don't let this team close in the final 3 minutes or we could be in trouble.  

Exactly why i stated NMS concerns me more than Kansas. It's often about match ups in the tournament. Not many teams can match us shooting 3s if we're on. NMSt is capable. Now i don't expect us to repeat the shooting we had against Tenn....but at the same time it's clear we're capable of doing it. We had several games like that last year where we just went off in the 2nd half with 3s. It was good to see us return to that form against Tenn. Ball movement and team defense has been so much better the last couple of weeks. 

16 hours ago, cptau said:

AU deserved at least a 4 seed. A 5th seed in Utah???   The NCAA is picking seeds based on fan base size and trying to improve TV ratings for the networks. 

Made the picks before we played UT I think and figured we would lose....and looks like they did not change either team afterward.  I don't know how we ranked among the other 5 seeds....but you have to beat who you play and looking at the W-L records all the way to the top seeds....just about everyone has lost games to some lesser teams.....so that means that everyone is beatable under the right conditions.   As a 5 we should be able to beat 12 and have a fighting chance in any game we play...right to the top. ...

We got a fair seed. Our quad 1 record is the worst of all 5 seeds, record against the field as well I think. Not upset with the seed. 

Everybody plays hard games if the make the sweet sixteen so no sense in complaining about that part of the draw. As for NMSU they are not a big concern at first glance and Kansas is much better in name than merit. 

Im ok with it.  It great draw, but could be worse. 

4 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

We got a fair seed. Our quad 1 record is the worst of all 5 seeds, record against the field as well I think. Not upset with the seed. 

Everybody plays hard games if the make the sweet sixteen so no sense in complaining about that part of the draw. As for NMSU they are not a big concern at first glance and Kansas is much better in name than merit. 

Im ok with it.  It great draw, but could be worse. 

agree.... Salt Lake City is my only gripe...but that's life....do the best you can with what you have.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

agree.... Salt Lake City is my only gripe...but that's life....do the best you can with what you have.

NMSU is going to be accustom to the altitude so I also have some concerns over that on short rest as well. 

FWIW KenPom has us getting knocked out in the elite 8 by UK. 

New Mexico State has a pretty legitimate program from what my understanding. SOS is not good but they've made the tournament 7 times since 2010 and have reached the 2nd round a 4 times. This is going to be a fight.

If we are lucky enough to get past NMSU does anyone know what time the 2nd round game would be in Salt Lake City? I'm going to be traveling and want to plan accordingly

I talked briefly to Okeke at the Toomer's Corner celebration last night. The players are excited about going to SLC and seeing the snow and ski resorts which most have never seen.

37 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

NMSU is going to be accustom to the altitude so I also have some concerns over that on short rest as well. 

There are lots of studies of the effects of altitude on athletic performance but looks like SLC is marginal compared to Denver, etc.    Nobody is gonna make a physiological adjustment in just a few days but they will know what it feels like shooting in lighter air.    I used to travel to Mexico City regularly and one thing I learned, was to pace myself walking up two or three flights of stairs....hardly any of my customers had elevators.      As noted by you and others, our depth will help and expect BP will rotate guys as much as game conditions allow....should not affect the outcome of the game....just gotta hit those 3s. ..  

1 hour ago, wareagle7298 said:

We lost to Richmond in the first round Barkley's last year I believe.

😡   yep saw that one in Charlotte.....painful and unexpected loss....Person was supposed to be scorer......did not help CB much. 

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Been looking for the outstanding short clip from the game of BP "interviewing" Dunbar after he was knocked to the floor and laying their looking kind of stunned.....someone must have that.....short segment as Bruce checked to see if MD was OK. 

6 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I talked briefly to Okeke at the Toomer's Corner celebration last night. The players are excited about going to SLC and seeing the snow and ski resorts which most have never seen.

Then I'm good with it. They have earned this trip and if they are excited I'm excited for them too.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Then I'm good with it. They have earned this trip and if they are excited I'm excited for them too.

Me too. Somehow the player's interest got lost in this long thread.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Take it from one who knows, you can get distracted there. I heard that the great club located in Salt Lake City, "The Dead Goat", burned a few years ago. BB King and other notables played there in the past. I don't know if The Goat has rebuilt or whatever, there will be ample distractions available for those seeking to be distracted. :)

Allot of blondes, I mean allot of blondes.

NMS plays at altitude. Auburn doesn't. They also go 13 deep.

I don't like the matchup, but am hopeful.

28 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

NMS plays at altitude. Auburn doesn't. They also go 13 deep.

I don't like the matchup, but am hopeful.

You must have missed the last 7 or so games. I don’t think attitude is a problem with this AU team. 

They are deep and playing close to home though. Much tougher matchup then last year for sure

40 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Allot of blondes, I mean allot of blondes.

Lived in SLC for a minute. Altitude can be a blessing or a curse. Driver wedge to most holes a blessing. Added time to a 5k or a climb up Snowbird a curse.

I hope the guys get acclimation time.

BTW, blonde distractions were a blessing. ;D

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

You must have missed the last 7 or so games. I don’t think attitude is a problem with this AU team. 

They are deep and playing close to home though. Much tougher matchup then last year for sure

Hope you are correct.

19 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Altitude, as in the city is several 1000 ft. above sea level, or maybe you are joking!

Archived