Why are we so divided?

tbone4jc

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Fam, Just remember every day you wake up is a day that Bruce Allan Pearl is our Head Men's basketball coach. That always brings a smile to my face..... Until I realize in my lifetime the only football coaches we have had is Terry Bowden, Tubs, Eugene Chizik and Arthur Gustav malzahn the third!!!!! Lmao. But then I go well only 2 months till Auburn Basketball starts back!!! We can get through this pain and misery together Brodie!!! Lol

I’m telling you it’s all fun and roses on the Gus Bus “muh man “ , so I’m gonna crack the door and you stick a toe in! I won’t tell anyone, pssst, come on do it. 😝 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fam, Just remember every day you wake up is a day that Bruce Allan Pearl is our Head Men's basketball coach. That always brings a smile to my face..... Until I realize in my lifetime the only football coaches we have had is Terry Bowden, Tubs, Eugene Chizik and Arthur Gustav malzahn the third!!!!! Lmao. But then I go well only 2 months till Auburn Basketball starts back!!! We can get through this pain and misery together Brodie!!! Lol

Two of those coaches played for a NC and one won it. The other two brought us an undefeated season and we're both robbed of a NC. I say this because you aren't old enough to know anything about the misery of the Barfield years. He'd have made you look forward to tiddlywinks. 

One thing that I will say, in terms of hope, even through periods of potentially questionable HC hires by AU, is that since Gene Stallings was finished at UA in 1996, bammer went through Mike Du(m)bose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price (pardon me a moment... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! *GASP* BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!) & Mike Shula before landing l'il general. 

Whether Gus remains as Auburn's HC for a couple more years until the buyout is palatable or he pulls a "Dabo" and figures it out, there's hope that Auburn will have a home-run HC before I am called Home.

I believe this because becoming Tennessee is inconceivable! 

3 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Jeez this thread is still going?

Long division :dunno:

49 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Two of those coaches played for a NC and one won it. The other two brought us an undefeated season and we're both robbed of a NC. I say this because you aren't old enough to know anything about the misery of the Barfield years. He'd have made you look forward to tiddlywinks. 

I wasn't alive for that. But in my 30 years this is pure torture and hell when it comes to sports. We have a super talented team and are stuck in mediocre purgatory. Also that right there what you said gives me so much hope if we ever make a good football hire. All those average coaches had at least one magical year. If we actually get a good coach we will become a powerhouse Juggernaut.

57 minutes ago, toddc said:

I’m telling you it’s all fun and roses on the Gus Bus “muh man “ , so I’m gonna crack the door and you stick a toe in! I won’t tell anyone, pssst, come on do it. 😝 

@GwillMac6  be careful, I think an old container of Nitrous from 2013(when the Bus use to go fast) might be leaking.  Todd pop your head out the window for some fresh air!!

😆

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

@GwillMac6  be careful, I think an old container of Nitrous from 2013(when the Bus use to go fast) might be leaking.  Todd pop your head out the window for some fresh air!!

😆

Next thing you will see is he will be clamoring for Mike McCarthy to be our next head coach!!!! Lol that is another sympton! Haha

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Sometimes it looks like those of us who were here for the Barfield years are a bit more hesitant to dump Gus because we were here for those years. It was brutal🥴

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

Sometimes it looks like those of us who were here for the Barfield years are a bit more hesitant to dump Gus because we were here for those years. It was brutal🥴

Scared money don't make money. I rather keep swinging the bat then be just content at not swinging on strike 3. You cannot not fire a coach because of the thought process of well it could be worse. We could go back to the Barfield years.

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

It's not really that I'm hesitant to make a change but the buyout is just too ridiculous an amount of money that I just feel like he has to be given one more year at a minimum. The thing Auburn MUST do when they decide to make a change is be willing to pay up front and get the guy who is going to make a difference. It will do no good to go bargain shopping. We won't be better off and could be worse off. I really think we'll have to get this buyout down to a reasonable amount and then pull the proverbial trigger. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Scared money don't make money. I rather keep swinging the bat then be just content at not swinging on strike 3. You cannot not fire a coach because of the thought process of well it could be worse. We could go back to the Barfield years.

I'm with you on most of this but the money, man it's a killer. Put it this way, if you want a Corvette you don't trade in the the Camaro you're making payments on have until you get enough equity to make the deal make sense. Otherwise you just leave the dealership with another Camaro while making Corvette payments. We need a new car but I think we have to drive the Camaro another year or two. Let's get the FOF built and then we'll even have a nicer garage for the new car. 

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

I'm with you on most of this but the money, man it's a killer. Put it this way, if you want a Corvette you don't trade in the the Camaro you're making payments on have until you get enough equity to make the deal make sense. Otherwise you just leave the dealership with another Camaro while making Corvette payments. We need a new car but I think we have to drive the Camaro another year or two. Let's get the FOF built and then we'll even have a nicer garage for the new car. 

Don't know why I'm here because I still have faith Gus is going to get it done. BUT I'm thinking AU is not struggling with payments and they have deep enough pockets to trade whenever they want or need. I understand why the amounts of money being talked about sounds like this incredible, staggering and insurmountable, program changing loss of cash. And for mere mortals it would be.  But I dont think AU would have to even blink at spending money to stay out of the SEC cellar. The money would come from numerous sources too. 

Big Money

24 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Don't know why I'm here because I still have faith Gus is going to get it done. BUT I'm thinking AU is not struggling with payments and they have deep enough pockets to trade whenever they want or need. I understand why the amounts of money being talked about sounds like this incredible, staggering and insurmountable, program changing loss of cash. And for mere mortals it would be.  But I dont think AU would have to even blink at spending money to stay out of the SEC cellar. The money would come from numerous sources too. 

Big Money

Hey, if Auburn has the money then I'm all for it. I just happen to be one of the ones who wonder where all the money is going to come from to pay one staff to leave, buy out a big-time coach from another school unless of course that coach is currently not under contract anywhere. Then pay the new staff which will cost you more money than the old one if your doing what you set out to do which is getting a program changer. You have to make the hire count and to do it will cost us. But if Auburn can pull all that off without a blink then I'm all for it. 

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I don’t know if you are not reading the comments on here, or is it possibly a reading and comprehension problem?

Either way, best of luck to you in the future.

giphy-1.gif

12 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Question, because I really don’t know, are the same posters on here, who are soooo critical of our football team, just as critical of our basketball team, baseball team, etc. when they had down years? I mean, I know this is the football forum, so that’s why they are critical here, but if I went to the basketball or baseball forum in past years, would they be in meltdown mode there?🤷‍♀️

Did baseball and basketball suddenly become the big money sport for the university? Didn't think so.

Also as garbage as the two coaches were before BRUUUUUUUCE, they weren't paid top 5 money. 

So...we have sports that aren't as important to the everyday Auburn fan, we have sports that aren't as important to the universities (or Athletic department) revenue stream, and coaches who (while terrible) were not paid top 5 money. 

Why would you even try to compare the three? You are trying to compare star fruit and tomatoes. Sure they are both fruits but no where on par with the other. 

1 hour ago, AUBourne said:

Big Money

I have my doubts whether there is that much money just laying back in the coffers.  The AD recently made an across the board 10% budget cut for every AU sports team, and the much needed facilities upgrade for the FOF is still in the infant stages.  That buyout is astronomical  + buying the cost for the rest of the current staff + the buyout AU will pay to bring in a replacement + his staffs salaries.  This monstrosity doesn't become affordable for 4 more yrs. 

2019   $6.8mm salary   $26.6mm buyout

2020  $6.9mm salary    $21.4mm buyout

2021   $7.0mm salary    $16.2mm buyout

2022   $7.1mm salary    $10.8mm buyout

2023   $7.2mm salary    $5.5mm buyout

2024   $7.3mm salary

Also I'm no Gus fan, but I am not a Gus hater, I will give him credit where it's due. However to those who want to replace him.... deep pockets or not, lets look at what it would cost to replace Gus after this season. 

Ok first let's start with Chizik. Do you all remember when Chizik was fired? His buyout was 7.5 million and over 11 million once you bought out the assistants. There was an uproar over how much the buyout was. 

Now let's look at the highest buyout EVER paid. The highest buyout EVER paid was when Notre Dame paid Charlie Weiss to go away. That buyout (for the coach alone) was just over 19 million dollars. 

For Auburn to fire Gus after this season, the buyout for Gus alone is around 28 million dollars. Almost 10 million dollars more than the highest buyout EVER paid. That doesn't even touch the assistants...and our DC makes more than some head coaches of smaller universities. We would probably be looking at around 35 million dollars in total to buyout the current staff. Then when you also consider the buyout of the next coach and assistants, that number could likely double. 

Possibly 70 million dollars to replace coaching staffs. This at a time when ALL Auburn sports are cutting their budgets by 10%... 

This would also most likely halt the football only facility the day Gus is let go. 

Replacing Gus just isn't a smart move right now. Because things could absolutely be worse than winning 8 and maintaining top 10 recruiting classes.  Don't get me wrong, I will be happy the day he is no longer the coach, but this year just isn't the time. 

I don't think Auburn wants to set the new record buyout at close to 30 million dollars to pay Gus to go away.

14 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I’m trying to tone it down. I just get riled when someone intimates that you’re either a bad Auburn fan or stupid if you’re not happy with Gus. I see the other side’s arguments, just don’t lecture me on Auburn. I’ve cheered, cried, yelled, sobbed and rolled trees for this program my whole life. I want better things for it thats all.

Don't tone it down. Your posts are completely appropriate and you seem to understand all of this for what it is. Have fun and keep doing you. 

17 hours ago, AUFriction said:

1. When I say a year or two, I mean he has a history of attempting fixes between seasons. Some have worked, and some haven't. I thought we should have cut Rhett loose a year earlier. Gus probably thought, he could take a more active role in helping Rhett and that would fix it. Unfortunately he was wrong. 

Gotcha. Rhett should've never been hired IMO. But this goes back to me saying underqualified and you saying bright minded guys who will be successful in the future. Agree to disagree. 

2. I think there's the illusion that the problems have been the same, but I don't think it is a reality. OL has been the only semi-consistent issue. We are on year 3. I'm still trying to figure out if Hand was just that bad or if Grimes is just also a bust. Most of the other issues he's changed. For instance, you mention over-reliance on runs up the middle. Go back and check the play calling. We didn't run up the middle all that much in the first half. The one time where I saw several runs up the middle in a row, it actually did work (until Whitlow fumbled after actually getting the first down). Substitution give aways? I disagree a bit there. There were a couple of times where it was a problem in the Tulane game (e.g., the wheel route play to Joiner that we ran two weeks in a row from the same formation), but I think that was more of an attempt to keep things vanilla.  For the most part, we didn't do as much substituting as we did last year. Shenkar, Wilson, and Nigh all played, and they all were in as both pass catchers and run blockers usually for several play (or often drive) long stretches. 

IMO OL has been a mess for Stidham's 2 years and this year. It's been a wreck in recruiting for long before that when you compare us to our peers in the conference. IDK if we can say we attempted to keep things vanilla by having Joiner literally run 1 thing because that's been a pattern in the past. Devan Barrett and that damn swing pass for example. Subsitutions seem to be a tad better this year and I hope it continues that way. But the fact that this has even been an issue for years and in year 7 is finally maybe looking like it's changing is ridiculous.

3. I don't think Mississippi State is an appropriate comparison. During Gus's tenure at Auburn, we've played in 2 SEC Championships and won 1. We've played for a national championship. We've beat Alabama and Georgia. 2 of the losses to Mississippi State involved very suspect officiating (2014 and last year). Also, both of these years were odd years. In 2014 Mississippi State had the only good team they've had in years. In 2018, our defense played uncharacteristically and surprisingly terrible. If our defense had stepped up and we hadn't been called for a BS fumble, we would have won that game, and probably soundly. The only downright nasty loss was in 2015. So, I'd in no way compare us to them. Our success has been much better than theirs, and 2/3 of the times they've beat us in Gus's tenure, its been under weird circumstances. 

2018 the O scored 9 points. If a D holds a team to 23 a team led by an offensive genius paired with an NFL QB we should probably win that one. Especially against a team of 3 stars and a coach in his first year. Defense didn't play great but kept the game in reach by keeping it at 23. 2014 I will 100% agree officials absolutely shafted us. I'll say 2014 taking a loss to them is understandable. They were a good team with an NFL QB. Otherwise they've been Miss State as we know them and every 6 year cycle we should be 5-1 against them. They are over matched talent wise on an annual basis against us. They are freaking Miss State for crying out loud. 

Archived