superbooster may pursue Bob Stoops

aubiefifty

James Franklin has coached in the SEC before. He did a really good job while at Vandy. He coached there for 2 to 3 years and made them winners for the first time in many years. He also knows how to recruit awesome players in the south and elsewhere.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s good that we are discussing this early. That way, when the season ends, after the Bama game, the powers that be will have plenty of aufamily material to go off of when they decide on a coach.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:50 PM, Cardin Drake said:

Ain't happening, story is garbage. Big game Bob, as we fondly deride him in Texas (and a surprising number in Norman as well) would be a disaster anyway.  Now I'm on the gus bus, and I'm hoping for a season to remember and him keeping his job. But if it all goes south, I'm all in for Mike Leach.  If he can turn Washington State around, it's time for a big school to give him a shot. It's doubtful he can outrecruit LSU, Georgia, and Satan, but at least it'll be entertaining as **** to watch, pardon my french.

A lot of folks might not see it on the surface, but he might actually be a really good fit at Auburn.  Good or bad, AU has a type of coach we accept into the fold.  So how well would the California-born funnyman coach react to life in Auburn?

Well, he's at least familiar with similar people.  Most of his career has been in the Southeast or Midwest, overwhelmingly at smallish, middle-of-nowhere schools.  There's a check.  I don't know if he's personally religious, but he has degrees from BYU and Pepperdine, and coached at Iowa Wesleyan, all three private religious schools, so he probably understands.....how to put this delicately.....the existential behavioral expectations of such a community.  Another check.  

The HC at Auburn has tremendous media obligations and challenges.  Clearly he has some media acumen, but I do wonder how well his dry wit will go over in certain circles.  He can't exactly speak in yellow font.  What impact would his shtick have on media obligations?  I'm probably not alone in this, but I might actually pay attention to a presser, something I haven't done in nearly a decade due to how boring and 'uninformational' they have been.  (But they do make for a good drinking game.  Shot of beer for every "no question," shot of whiskey for every "one of the best in the country.")

I do have reservations about Leach professionally, some of them about his lack of experience on heavyweight staffs.  His current job at WSU is by far the most prominent job he's had.  Could he identify the appropriate assistants, and then manage them effectively for the duration of his term?  What about the associated W-L expectations?  

My dark horse is Mel Tucker, current HC at Colorado.  I predict he'll be the HC at a big time school in a year or two, depending on when the right HC spot opens up.  His resume as a college and NFL assistant is pretty impressive, just needs some HC experience, which he's getting now.  Off to a pretty good start in his first season at Colorado.  They're 2-1 with wins over rivals (CSU and Nebraska) in consecutive weeks, but lost to Air Force in OT.  He spent the previous four years at UGA and uat (his third stint under dink).  Also coached under Jim Tressel and Mark Dantonio at OSU.

Worth noting:  I have no desire for Gus to leave.  I don't think he should have been hired either time by Auburn, but that's another issue entirely.  CGM's done some great things, and a lot of truly infuriating things.  I guess I'm saying, for me, until the proverbial BDM shows genuine interest in the Auburn job, I'll continue to find pretty much all suggestions (even my own) uninspiring.

WDE!

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

James Franklin has coached in the SEC before. He did a really good job while at Vandy. He coached there for 2 to 3 years and made them winners for the first time in many years. He also knows how to recruit awesome players in the south and elsewhere.

James Franklin is Gus in the Big 10. His teams have a tendency to play down to bad teams and he's had some losses where they were way up and then threw hard. Remember when he called a run play on 4th & 6 with the game on the line against Ohio State? I'm curious how he does this year... his 11 win seasons weren't much more than "Get Saquon Barkley the ball as much as possible."

Boosters or Super Boosters should not be doing this especially before we even know if we will have a good season or not. I have no problem with the Athletic department putting together a list of requirements and then a list of coaches who fit that requirement. They probably already have a well run organization should always have a contingency plan. For me personally this reminds me of things that I have seen at Auburn before that did not go well. 

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

If this is true, this is AU to a T.   It can’t get out of its own way.   This is not a new phenomenon.   Happens practically in every sport

Why I don't think firing Gus for 8 win seasons is the answer. Will just be a bigger burden on the ticket buyers and the fee's tossed into tuition for the regular student. That money will have to come from somewhere, and despite a profitable year they only netted about 9 million.

Unfortunately coaches know about Auburn with it's expectations and boosters. Why with this type of stuff, the constant rumors, coaches the fans want (at all levels) are not going to leave their current positions and head off to a hot seat coach with Auburn's schedule and the beast that is Alabama at the moment. If Rayne is trying to contact Stoops, dumb move. If someone is just tossing it out there to hurt our chances of bringing in quality coaches then well played on taking advantage of our dumb asses.

Now if we had aTm type boosters, that came out in the news and said when we fire him we will pay for it all, nothing will come out of the academic side of the university  that is a different story. That is what they did with Sumlin.

Archived