superbooster may pursue Bob Stoops

aubiefifty

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DAG said:

James Franklin . I will keep repeating . This is your future for those hoping for change .

you think he is that good dag?

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you think he is that good dag?

Nope but I am basing this on Total Auburn Moves lol. I also don’t think Stoops would be worth max money, but that is a much different conversation. My priority would be finding someone who has built nothing from something and able to maintain it. Obviously everyone knows I like coach Bill. I didn’t know much about Josh out of UFC but based on what I’ve been reading I do like the idea of him. LSU defense has been shaky this year but I think their DC would be a good prospect . Of course Coach Brent at Clemson too. 

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

James Franklin . I will keep repeating . This is your future for those hoping for change .

Why would he leave Penn State?  He was born and grew up in PA.  Blue Blood school that doesn't have to compete for instate kids.  Plus gets to hand pick talent from NJ and NY as well.

5 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Why would he leave Penn State?  He was born and grew up in PA.  Blue Blood school that doesn't have to compete for instate kids.  Plus gets to hand pick talent from NJ and NY as well.

Maybe I should’ve added the yellow font 

5 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Penn St is not a blue blood school. I would argue we are a better program all time than them.

10 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

If I remember correctly, it was because of the offensive performance in 2014, specifically with the passing game. It was Trevor Knight's first year as a starter, and he threw for 2300 yds, 14 tds, and 12 ints with a 56.6 completion percentage. OU went 8-5 that year with losses to TCU, Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Clemson. Bob needed to make a change, and rather than fire his brother Mike as DC, he decided to change the offensive scheme and adopt the air raid. Note that OU's defense gave up 25.9 PPG that year and 38.8 PPG in their losses. Both co-OC's (Heupel and Jay Norvell) were fired after a 40-6 loss to Clemson in the Russell Athletic Bowl. This is a pretty good recap article: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-sp-ucf-josh-heupel-oklahoma-fired-bob-stoops-20181011-story.html

Hupel's offenses as an OC/HC:

• Oklahoma 2011 - 39.5 PPG (10th)
  • Oklahoma 2012 -  38.2 PPG (15th)
  • Oklahoma 2013 - 32.8 PPG (40th)
  • Oklahoma 2014 - 36.4 PPG (21st)
  • Utah State 2015 - 29.0 PPG (64th)
  • Mizzou 2016 - 31.4 PPG (48th)
  • Mizzou 2017 - 37.5 PPG (14th)
  • UCF 2018 - 43.2 PPG (6th)
  • UCF 2019 - 51.7 PPG (6th)

His QB stats since leaving OU:

• Utah State, 2015 - Kent Meyers - 121/199 (60.8%), 1593 yds, 16 TDs, 3 INTs. 85 rushes, 354 yds, 3 TDs.
  • Mizzou, 2016 - Drew Lock - 237/434 (54.6%), 3399 yds, 23 TDs, 10 INTs. 52 rushes, 123 yds, 1 TD.
  • Mizzou, 2017 - Drew Lock - 242/419 (57.8%), 3964 yds, 44 TDs, 13 INTs. 43 rushes, 111 yds, 1 TD. 
  • UCF, 2018 - McKenzie Milton - 171/289 (59.2%), 2663 yds, 25 TDs, 6 INTs. 79 rushes, 307 yds, 9 TDs.
    • Week 3 game against UNC cancelled due to hurricane
    • Milton hurt in 2nd to last game of the year
  • UCF, 2019 - Dillon Gabriel - 38/62 (61.3%), 719 yds, 9 TDs, 0 INTs. 7 rushes, 28 yds, 1 TD.
    • Milton still recovering, starting QB Darriel Mack broke his ankle in the offseason, ND transfer Brandon Wimbush has been sidelined with an injury as well
    • Gabriel is a true freshman

If you look at those games you see TCU quickly jumped out 14-0 and the game finished 37-33. They were up by 14 on Ok State with 5 minutes left and lost that in OT. Baylor just annihilated them 48-14 or something. The K State game was a 31-30 loss with multiple FG shanks. Offense wasn't perfect, but it wasn't the whole reason they lost that many games.

Even Oklahoma papers called Huepal and Norvell sacrificial lambs and the hindsight writers are questions if titles were left on the table by not getting rid of Stoop's earlier.

5 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Is it too early to call for Wade Christopher as HC?

Winning games 200-0 would get boring fast. We need a little competitive balance. But a blindedfolded WC would be better. 77-0 would still be fun.

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I bet Heupel was the Malzahn to Frost’s Chizik. 

I think Heupel at UCF is like Spurrier at Duke. I'd take our own Spurrier.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think Heupel at UCF is like Spurrier at Duke. I'd take our own Spurrier.

I don’t even know why we are fantasizing about this. Riley is going to leave Ok for a NFL job and Heupel will be there. The rich just get richer in this business. If Bama lands Dabo when Saban leaves, I think I may just take up watching Equestrian.

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t even know why we are fantasizing about this. Riley is going to leave Ok for a NFL job and Heupel will be there. The rich just get richer in this business. If Bama lands Dabo when Saban leaves, I think I may just take up watching Equestrian.

Wouldn't bet on that. Stoops still is pretty heavy involved in OU football in regards to boosters etc. I don't think Heupel and Stoops are even on speaking terms. I know there weren't last year. While appreciative, Heupel might not prefer to return to OU. Plus if he is getting OU asking him he will have plenty of top notch offers.

“It’s ridiculous … I would never, ever speak with anybody that had an existing head coach … there’s nothing to talk about with me,” Stoops said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Now we can close this book.  Why this got to 8 pages is beyond me.  

58 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I will watch equestrian with you.  It's not said much, but I don't think the spiritual climate (actual or theoretical) would be compatible with who Dabo is now as a coach and person.  If there is anything REC to be believed, I can't see Dabo having any part of it.  

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

“It’s ridiculous … I would never, ever speak with anybody that had an existing head coach … there’s nothing to talk about with me,” Stoops said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Deny, Deny, Deny!

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I will not be the head coach at Alabama, ...

They’ll have to carry me out of here in a pine box...

I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family...

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Probably because we’ve played two non-power 5 teams in a row so the board is kind of slow and anxious to talk about things.

Cant speak for everyone but I feel as if we’ll know a tremendous amount more after this weekend. This game might just show us if we’re contenders or pretenders. 

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Cant speak for everyone but I feel as if we’ll know a tremendous amount more after this weekend. This game might just show us if we’re contenders or pretenders. 

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

“It’s ridiculous … I would never, ever speak with anybody that had an existing head coach … there’s nothing to talk about with me. I have an agent who handles such things.”

FTFY

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I was thinking more like the Foo Fighters “Pretender” but this works lol

Just now, Zeek said:

I was thinking more like the Foo Fighters “Pretender” but this works lol

I'm not ready to say we're pretenders but the Talk of the Town did seem to fit the to thread. 

Archived