superbooster may pursue Bob Stoops

aubiefifty

Jay G Tate

I've had several people ask me about Malzahn after my appearance with

@SportsbyBrooks

earlier. I do not believe anyone credible associated with AU is actively (or passively) working to get Malzahn fired. In fact, I see unanimity of purpose at this point — winning with Malzahn.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Tate now and I believed him last year when he reported there was an effort by some to replace Gus. I dont think AU will be satisfied with another 7-5 season. Hopefully for everyone involved that doesnt happen.

50 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

It's what a Flair guy does... complain. Saw him complain and get beat down by the Von Erichs in Texas Stadium multiple times as a kid lol.

claw.jpg

How can anyone lose to this guy? Just step on his toes. Flair was one of the dirtiest wrestlers ever and he couldn't do that? Who's writing that script anyway. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

How can anyone lose to this guy? Just step on his toes. Flair was one of the dirtiest wrestlers ever and he couldn't do that? Whose writing that script anyway. :dunno:

20190918_172844.png

5 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This. I saw this late last night and refused to post anything about it. Also, I think we can do better than Bob Stoops. I think he is a good coach but I don't think he would light it up in the SEC. I don't know who I would want...because as of now WE HAVE A COACH AND WE ARE 3-0. I honestly think people from Bama are paying for this crap to come out. 

All the bammers on the various message boards claim they love Gus and want him to stay forever.

5 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

All the bammers on the various message boards claim they love Gus and want him to stay forever.

Yea but this could have a negative impact on recruiting. Every year it seems like. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if Rane is working behind the scenes to find a replacement for Gus. That kinda thing goes on all the time in college athletics. But if he’s after Bob Stoops he’s wasting his time. I’m as disappointed in Gus as anyone but lets see how this plays out.

4 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Rane is working behind the scenes to find a replacement for Gus. That kinda thing goes on all the time in college athletics. But if he’s after Bob Stoops he’s wasting his time. I’m as disappointed in Gus as anyone but lets see how this plays out.

He can do whatever he likes at the end of the day it’s not like he is calling the shots. That is somebody you want to keep away 

11 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

At this point,  that's all we can do regardless of whether we complain or not in this board. I'm with ya, if Gus does great and turns it around it's great for the kids, for the school and the fans. If he doesn't, things will work out like they should. I really like Gus as a man and hope he can rally this team to a special season. There shouldn't be any hot seat talk at this point in the season anyway. 

6 hours ago, doverstutts said:

embarrassing?....more like encouraging!

This is horse crap.  If this so called superbooster is going to do this then do it and shut up about it.  Stop letting stuff get to the press.  It hurts recruiting more than anything and it only hurts players morale if they pay any attention to it (even if it is from their families).  We've seen this goat rope before.  Let's play the season and see how it plays out and then if said booster wants to do something, have at it. 

We might have got Bob two years ago but not anymore. Can you even imagine how many colleges and NFL wheels have tried to throw more money than we have at Bobs feet. Bob ain’t coming back to coach college ever. The only ones who might be successful somewhere down the line would be the NFL. Anyway let’s just stick with hoping Gus can turn it around. I know the players and a lot of the fans are waiting to see how this goes . If we do real well then Gus will stay and so should he. We have a kid at QB that could be the next Tom Brady. He is not there yet but I like the look in his eye. Remember when JS screwed up then would be I. The sideline laughing ? Well I watch Bo come off the field and he is mad at himself. That’s good. Then he goes. Back out there and makes it right the next time. This kid, in my humble opinion will leave school with a couple of rings. Might be SEC then again it might be CFPs as well. So let’s give it a whirl. If and when Gus looses 3 games then we can discuss possibilities. But be assured Bob won’t be in that list.

31 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

This is horse crap.  If this so called superbooster is going to do this then do it and shut up about it.  Stop letting stuff get to the press.  It hurts recruiting more than anything and it only hurts players morale if they pay any attention to it (even if it is from their families).  We've seen this goat rope before.  Let's play the season and see how it plays out and then if said booster wants to do something, have at it. 

I can promise you right now every booster and AG are rooting for Gus and this team. Unlike some folks they believe this team has the makings of a champion. It will take somethings falling our way but the talent is there. Like I said if we lose three before Bama then the heat will warm up . But they are not coach shopping at this moment.

4 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

If the recent college football slate has taught me anything, it's that in order to be dominant in this league you must be elite in two aspects:

1. Recruiting.

2. Adapting to changes in the game.

Look at the teams that have dominated the past couple of years- 

• Alabama changed from an under center, single back offense to a pro-style spread offense with west coast influences. 
  • Georgia made a similar transition, moving to a shotgun based pro-style with heavy focus on run game
  • Oklahoma shifted from a pro-style offense to a spread, then eventually to an air-raid that's designed to be quarterback-friendly
  • Ohio State transitioned from a read-option offense with JT Barrett to a pro-style spread with Dwayne Haskins w/ heavy 5-wide sets, then to a more balanced spread w/ Fields
  • Clemson has used varying amounts of RPO/Read Option depending who is running at QB (Deshaun/Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence). Recently, they've been increasing the number of Shanahan inspired crossing routes on play action boots to get their athletes into space.
  • LSU transitioned form the "toss-power" Miles offense to a pro-style spread that relies heavily on data and analytics in playcalling

The same teams are the one who dominate the recruiting rankings. From 247's "Team Talent Composite":

• Alabama - #1
  • Ohio State - #2
  • Georgia - #3
  • LSU - #5
  • Oklahoma - #8
  • Clemson - #9

That is what we need to be looking for. Someone who can recruit at a high level and who is ready and willing to innovate and adapt. That's what it takes to be an elite football team.

I'll be honest- I don't want Bob Stoops to come to Auburn. And for those saying "he won in the past!"- so did Chip Kelly, but look at UCLA. So did Mark Richt, yet he couldn't win at Miami. So did Jim Harbaugh, who has yet to beat Ohio State. Bielema won a ton at Wisconsin, how did Arkansas work out? Lovie Smith won a Super Bowl, but how is Illinois doing? What about our own Tommy Tuberville- how did he work out for Cincinatti or Texas Tech? 

Oklahoma Offensive PPG by Year:

• 2011: 39.5
  • 2012: 38.2
  • 2013: 32.8
  • 2014: 36.4
  • 2015: 43.5 <-- Lincoln Riley hired as OC
  • 2016: 43.9
  • 2017: 45.1 <-- Riley's first season as HC, Baker Heisman
  • 2018: 48.4 <-- Murray Heisman
  • 2019: 55.7 (in-progress)

While I will give credit to Stoops for hiring Riley, you cannot deny that it was Riley who had the bigger impact on their offensive performance, not Stoops.

Now let's look at someone like UCF: 

• 2014: 28.1 
  • 2015: 13.9 <-- UCF went 0-12, fired O'Leary, hired Frost
  • 2016: 28.8
  • 2017: 48.2 <-- Undefeated, Frost to Nebraska, hired Hupel, beat AU in Sugar Bowl
  • 2018: 43.2* <-- Undefeated regular season, lost to LSU in Fiesta Bowl
  • 2019: 51.7

*Starting QB and Heisman hopeful Mckenzie Milton had a devastating knee injury against USF in the final regular season game. UCF still won the AAC. Milton is out for the entire 2019 season.

Lets also look at their recruiting rankings:

• 2014: 68th, avg rating 0.8313
  • 2015: 71, 0.8355
  • 2016: 65, 0.8262
  • 2017: 55, 0.8336
  • 2018: 62, 0.8364
  • 2019: 59, 0.8424
  • 2020: 57, 0.8343

UCF's revival was definitely engineered by Frost, but Hupel hasn't just ridden on that wave, if anything their offense is more explosive now than it was before. 

I'm not saying we should run out and hire Hupel (though he is definitely on my watch list, as is Mike Norvell at Memphis), but what I am saying is that we need to look deeper than just the W/L record, because that's how we become Tennessee hiring Butch Jones, or UCLA hiring Chip Kelly, or USC hiring Steve Sarkesian. 

Frost is definitley responsible for Nebraska 's revival

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Did I miss something? Is Rane the new AD?

1 minute ago, creed said:

I wasn’t trying to imply Rane would be the one who makes the change. But its naive to think boosters don’t do things like this. It would also be naive to think the big money guys don’t have influence. They always have at Auburn and at most big time programs.

4 minutes ago, creed said:

You did if you think the AD picks the football coach without "help".

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

Meyer just follows great coaches, burns their program down while riding the previous guys success, and leaves them with a terrible culture a scandal or two and pretending to have some condition.

That's not even a little bit true.

4 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

If the recent college football slate has taught me anything, it's that in order to be dominant in this league you must be elite in two aspects:

1. Recruiting.

2. Adapting to changes in the game.

Look at the teams that have dominated the past couple of years- 

• Alabama changed from an under center, single back offense to a pro-style spread offense with west coast influences. 
  • Georgia made a similar transition, moving to a shotgun based pro-style with heavy focus on run game
  • Oklahoma shifted from a pro-style offense to a spread, then eventually to an air-raid that's designed to be quarterback-friendly
  • Ohio State transitioned from a read-option offense with JT Barrett to a pro-style spread with Dwayne Haskins w/ heavy 5-wide sets, then to a more balanced spread w/ Fields
  • Clemson has used varying amounts of RPO/Read Option depending who is running at QB (Deshaun/Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence). Recently, they've been increasing the number of Shanahan inspired crossing routes on play action boots to get their athletes into space.
  • LSU transitioned form the "toss-power" Miles offense to a pro-style spread that relies heavily on data and analytics in playcalling

The same teams are the one who dominate the recruiting rankings. From 247's "Team Talent Composite":

• Alabama - #1
  • Ohio State - #2
  • Georgia - #3
  • LSU - #5
  • Oklahoma - #8
  • Clemson - #9

That is what we need to be looking for. Someone who can recruit at a high level and who is ready and willing to innovate and adapt. That's what it takes to be an elite football team.

I'll be honest- I don't want Bob Stoops to come to Auburn. And for those saying "he won in the past!"- so did Chip Kelly, but look at UCLA. So did Mark Richt, yet he couldn't win at Miami. So did Jim Harbaugh, who has yet to beat Ohio State. Bielema won a ton at Wisconsin, how did Arkansas work out? Lovie Smith won a Super Bowl, but how is Illinois doing? What about our own Tommy Tuberville- how did he work out for Cincinatti or Texas Tech? 

Oklahoma Offensive PPG by Year:

• 2011: 39.5
  • 2012: 38.2
  • 2013: 32.8
  • 2014: 36.4
  • 2015: 43.5 <-- Lincoln Riley hired as OC
  • 2016: 43.9
  • 2017: 45.1 <-- Riley's first season as HC, Baker Heisman
  • 2018: 48.4 <-- Murray Heisman
  • 2019: 55.7 (in-progress)

While I will give credit to Stoops for hiring Riley, you cannot deny that it was Riley who had the bigger impact on their offensive performance, not Stoops.

Now let's look at someone like UCF: 

• 2014: 28.1 
  • 2015: 13.9 <-- UCF went 0-12, fired O'Leary, hired Frost
  • 2016: 28.8
  • 2017: 48.2 <-- Undefeated, Frost to Nebraska, hired Hupel, beat AU in Sugar Bowl
  • 2018: 43.2* <-- Undefeated regular season, lost to LSU in Fiesta Bowl
  • 2019: 51.7

*Starting QB and Heisman hopeful Mckenzie Milton had a devastating knee injury against USF in the final regular season game. UCF still won the AAC. Milton is out for the entire 2019 season.

Lets also look at their recruiting rankings:

• 2014: 68th, avg rating 0.8313
  • 2015: 71, 0.8355
  • 2016: 65, 0.8262
  • 2017: 55, 0.8336
  • 2018: 62, 0.8364
  • 2019: 59, 0.8424
  • 2020: 57, 0.8343

UCF's revival was definitely engineered by Frost, but Hupel hasn't just ridden on that wave, if anything their offense is more explosive now than it was before. 

I'm not saying we should run out and hire Hupel (though he is definitely on my watch list, as is Mike Norvell at Memphis), but what I am saying is that we need to look deeper than just the W/L record, because that's how we become Tennessee hiring Butch Jones, or UCLA hiring Chip Kelly, or USC hiring Steve Sarkesian. 

I was curious where you read LSU uses a pro style offense with play calling  based heavily off analytics. Always wondered what role it plays in modern day college football....can you provide more detail?

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

We might have got Bob two years ago but not anymore. Can you even imagine how many colleges and NFL wheels have tried to throw more money than we have at Bobs feet. Bob ain’t coming back to coach college ever. The only ones who might be successful somewhere down the line would be the NFL. Anyway let’s just stick with hoping Gus can turn it around. I know the players and a lot of the fans are waiting to see how this goes . If we do real well then Gus will stay and so should he. We have a kid at QB that could be the next Tom Brady. He is not there yet but I like the look in his eye. Remember when JS screwed up then would be I. The sideline laughing ? Well I watch Bo come off the field and he is mad at himself. That’s good. Then he goes. Back out there and makes it right the next time. This kid, in my humble opinion will leave school with a couple of rings. Might be SEC then again it might be CFPs as well. So let’s give it a whirl. If and when Gus looses 3 games then we can discuss possibilities. But be assured Bob won’t be in that list.

Agreed but I think Gus is on a thin rope for a while. We know he can turn in the occasional 9+ win season but his average is still a (8-4) range. Let’s say he finishes with 9 or more wins this year. With that scenario I would wager he’s all but guaranteed to return. However, if he then turns around and has another 4-5 loss season we’re back to the same issue where some will say “give him another year.” That’s a roller coaster we could theoretically never escape.

Frankly, I think he has to post back-to-back 9+ win seasons to stay. I know the current landscape is harsh but Jimbo, Smart, Orgeron, and even Saban aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. If he can’t  win at least one of the big 3 (LSU, Bama, Georgia) consistently then he’s not meeting the minimum standard we should have here.

Pulling that off with next year’s OL is all but unthinkable. He needs to replace a number of position coaches and learn to adapt his offense better. My concern is the overall lack of change regarding his bad tendencies.

47 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Frost is definitley responsible for Nebraska 's revival

And Hupel is 15-1 as a head coach with his lone loss being to LSU in a NY6 Bowl without his starting QB. 

UCF beat the crap out of Stanford this weekend, 45-27 with at true freshman QB. Frost built UCF, nobody is arguing that. Stoops built OU too. Hupel is doing some special things in Orlando, just like Riley is doing in Norman. 

3 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

And Hupel is 15-1 as a head coach with his lone loss being to LSU in a NY6 Bowl without his starting QB. 

UCF beat the crap out of Stanford this weekend, 45-27 with at true freshman QB. Frost built UCF, nobody is arguing that. Stoops built OU too. Hupel is doing some special things in Orlando, just like Riley is doing in Norman. 

The one thing with Heupel I can't seem to get past is that Oklahoma ran him off when he was oc there. They absolutely despised him as oc. It is hard for me to get past that and forget it.

Archived