superbooster may pursue Bob Stoops

aubiefifty

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KnightTiger said:

considering that SportsbyBrooks was  one of the first guys to tweet this today I wouldn't put much stock in it

I was just about to send Rane a letter calling him a “Crapulous Mass” but Phillip Marshall has written that this rumor is completely bogus and that there is nothing to it.

ous

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Jay G Tate

I've had several people ask me about Malzahn after my appearance with

@SportsbyBrooks

earlier. I do not believe anyone credible associated with AU is actively (or passively) working to get Malzahn fired. In fact, I see unanimity of purpose at this point — winning with Malzahn.

Reposting this!

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

The one thing with Heupel I can't seem to get past is that Oklahoma ran him off when he was oc there. They absolutely despised him as oc. It is hard for me to get past that and forget it.

He took the fall for the failing defense that was Brother Stoops. Think Turner was another fall guy at that time. Hell, only reason Venables (I can't spell today) ended up at Clemson was cause Bob brought his brother back. There version of the BBQ gang.

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

How can anyone lose to this guy? Just step on his toes. Flair was one of the dirtiest wrestlers ever and he couldn't do that? Who's writing that script anyway. :dunno:

Well the Von Erich's were from Texas, home base was in Dallas at Texas Stadium and Reunion Arena for the league, aired on the local Dallas tv station, and they would enter the ring to ZZ Top's La Grange.......so I'm pretty sure noone from Texas was involved in the scripting. I'm thinking Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka!

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

Whether it's true or not it's embarrassing that this comes out at this point of the season. 

I think this is the WHOLE point of this bs is to screw up the team and recruiting. Just seems like when we are doing good, something like this comes out and it's too much to be coincidence.

Ain't happening, story is garbage. Big game Bob, as we fondly deride him in Texas (and a surprising number in Norman as well) would be a disaster anyway.  Now I'm on the gus bus, and I'm hoping for a season to remember and him keeping his job. But if it all goes south, I'm all in for Mike Leach.  If he can turn Washington State around, it's time for a big school to give him a shot. It's doubtful he can outrecruit LSU, Georgia, and Satan, but at least it'll be entertaining as **** to watch, pardon my french.

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Ain't happening, story is garbage. Big game Bob, as we fondly deride him in Texas (and a surprising number in Norman as well) would be a disaster anyway.  Now I'm on the gus bus, and I'm hoping for a season to remember and him keeping his job. But if it all goes south, I'm all in for Mike Leach.  If he can turn Washington State around, it's time for a big school to give him a shot. It's doubtful he can outrecruit LSU, Georgia, and Satan, but at least it'll be entertaining as **** to watch, pardon my french.

I’ll pass on Leach but agreed about the entertainment lol. If Auburn adopted a true Air Raid someone would have a stroke.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’ll pass on Leach but agreed about the entertainment lol. If Auburn adopted a true Air Raid someone would have a stroke.

Yes. Me! Lol. From Happiness. I am so sick of Auburn being run first. I can do without it for another 30 years.

9 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

And Hupel is 15-1 as a head coach with his lone loss being to LSU in a NY6 Bowl without his starting QB. 

UCF beat the crap out of Stanford this weekend, 45-27 with at true freshman QB. Frost built UCF, nobody is arguing that. Stoops built OU too. Hupel is doing some special things in Orlando, just like Riley is doing in Norman. 

True.......and Frost is doing something special at Nebraska............to be honest I hope Nebraska gives Frost a chance to build something.........always hate seeing former players take HC positions at their former school.........never ends well in most cases.

19 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

True.......and Frost is doing something special at Nebraska............to be honest I hope Nebraska gives Frost a chance to build something.........always hate seeing former players take HC positions at their former school.........never ends well in most cases.

Time will tell on Frost, but he has that special swag/charisma factor that is rare. He seems like the kind of guy that will be highly successful regardless of where he goes or what industry he’s in. Ultra-competitive winner.  Like you, I would love to see him rebuild Big Red in Lincoln. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes. Me! Lol. From Happiness. I am so sick of Auburn being run first. I can do without it for another 30 years.

I wanted Leach years ago but age and seasoning has made me reconsider. His defenses are generally not good, which you need to win in SEC. Though he is a great passing game coordinator, his teams are finesse and that usually costs them a game or so a year. I'll pass. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Haha we don't have to be run first but dear God we don't have to be pass 99%!!!

I do think an Oklahoma like passing attack with this group of receivers and Bo's talent would be fun as hell.

air raid.gif

16 hours ago, keesler said:

Where did he come from with his info, and why would a "source" go to him of all people to spread the Stoops news?  The same as Jay Tate and P Marshall reporting of ever move within the AD like they were sitting outside Leath/Harbert's door like a courtroom reporter.  I just don't believe cats like Josh Moon or Clay Travis or Brooks Melichior (sp).

I don't know why. But that's kind of a flimsy reason to me to just dismiss it offhand. 

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The one thing with Heupel I can't seem to get past is that Oklahoma ran him off when he was oc there. They absolutely despised him as oc. It is hard for me to get past that and forget it.

If I remember correctly, it was because of the offensive performance in 2014, specifically with the passing game. It was Trevor Knight's first year as a starter, and he threw for 2300 yds, 14 tds, and 12 ints with a 56.6 completion percentage. OU went 8-5 that year with losses to TCU, Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Clemson. Bob needed to make a change, and rather than fire his brother Mike as DC, he decided to change the offensive scheme and adopt the air raid. Note that OU's defense gave up 25.9 PPG that year and 38.8 PPG in their losses. Both co-OC's (Heupel and Jay Norvell) were fired after a 40-6 loss to Clemson in the Russell Athletic Bowl. This is a pretty good recap article: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-sp-ucf-josh-heupel-oklahoma-fired-bob-stoops-20181011-story.html

Hupel's offenses as an OC/HC:

• Oklahoma 2011 - 39.5 PPG (10th)
  • Oklahoma 2012 -  38.2 PPG (15th)
  • Oklahoma 2013 - 32.8 PPG (40th)
  • Oklahoma 2014 - 36.4 PPG (21st)
  • Utah State 2015 - 29.0 PPG (64th)
  • Mizzou 2016 - 31.4 PPG (48th)
  • Mizzou 2017 - 37.5 PPG (14th)
  • UCF 2018 - 43.2 PPG (6th)
  • UCF 2019 - 51.7 PPG (6th)

His QB stats since leaving OU:

• Utah State, 2015 - Kent Meyers - 121/199 (60.8%), 1593 yds, 16 TDs, 3 INTs. 85 rushes, 354 yds, 3 TDs.
  • Mizzou, 2016 - Drew Lock - 237/434 (54.6%), 3399 yds, 23 TDs, 10 INTs. 52 rushes, 123 yds, 1 TD.
  • Mizzou, 2017 - Drew Lock - 242/419 (57.8%), 3964 yds, 44 TDs, 13 INTs. 43 rushes, 111 yds, 1 TD. 
  • UCF, 2018 - McKenzie Milton - 171/289 (59.2%), 2663 yds, 25 TDs, 6 INTs. 79 rushes, 307 yds, 9 TDs.
    • Week 3 game against UNC cancelled due to hurricane
    • Milton hurt in 2nd to last game of the year
  • UCF, 2019 - Dillon Gabriel - 38/62 (61.3%), 719 yds, 9 TDs, 0 INTs. 7 rushes, 28 yds, 1 TD.
    • Milton still recovering, starting QB Darriel Mack broke his ankle in the offseason, ND transfer Brandon Wimbush has been sidelined with an injury as well
    • Gabriel is a true freshman

10 hours ago, Auskip said:

I was just about to send Rane a letter calling him a “Crapulous Mass” but Phillip Marshall has written that this rumor is completely bogus and that there is nothing to it.

ous

Thanks.….I don't put much faith in PM but sure hope his right.   No matter what the Gus situation is, the last thing the school needs is a "lone ranger' vigilante going off on his own. 

16 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

On most things I usually agree with you but on this one not so much. It's nice to think it would happen like that, until it doesn't. As soon as Coach X has a mediocre season it's wait and see time. That is exactly the reason we don't already have the facilities. Long term capital improvements require a long term vision/commitment and are independent of who the coach may be in 5 years. 

I can very easily see a scenario last year where people with money would have felt like a big donation would have been perceived as an endorsement of the current coach.

Landing a highly sought-after coach would have signified a commitment to excellence that the PTB have previously not shown and would have encouraged more investment. 

IMO

16 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

While I will give credit to Stoops for hiring Riley, you cannot deny that it was Riley who had the bigger impact on their offensive performance, not Stoops.

What's the difference in the end?

If Gus would hire the next Lincoln Riley and let him do his job, we'd be Clemson. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks.….I don't put much faith in PM but sure hope his right.   No matter what the Gus situation is, the last thing the school needs is a "lone ranger' vigilante going off on his own. 

This we can agree on my friend. 

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Even if it’s true , this guy is an idiot. If he loses to Alabama he is going after Stoops? What a qualifier for a HC! 

14 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

All the bammers on the various message boards claim they love Gus and want him to stay forever.

EXACTLY!  Why would bama try to sabotage or discredit Gus?  They love the man and hope he stays here in to his golden years.

14 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yea but this could have a negative impact on recruiting. Every year it seems like. 

And yet Auburn is bringing in the best classes in the program's history.  Even though AU has a hard time getting ranked in the top 10 at the end of a season, they still sign top 10 classes.

13 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

considering that SportsbyBrooks was  one of the first guys to tweet this today I wouldn't put much stock in it

Is SportsbyBrooks auburn4ever in disguise?

Archived