superbooster may pursue Bob Stoops

aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It would be so Auburn to go after Bob Stoops when there is a clearly better coach available who is younger than Stoops!!! AND YES SOMEHOW SOMEWAY if we by some miracle hired Stoops I STILL would find a way to complain!!!!! lol. IT IS WHAT I DO!!!!!!! haha.

As much as we bitch about the $7 million coach, imagine how much we'd bitch about the $12 million guy!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLoofus said:

As much as we bitch about the $7 million coach, imagine how much we'd bitch about the $12 million guy!

" It's always bitching in Auburn" New Show coming to FX this fall! lol

2 hours ago, JJB74 said:

this is Garbage.......no one has heard from this guy in 10 years and now he has the scoop......BS

isn't funny that ever year Auburn Football starts the year off strong and they have some momentum going an article like this comes out.........mmmmmmm

we all know where this BS story came from........

my problem is the Auburn beat writers that publish this BS......I would fire every one of them.................

I wish I had kept a record of how many “ controversial” articles come out about Auburn the week before a big game if we are doing well. It is all part of the bammer media machine!

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

This appears to be nothing but a rumor.  Personally I wouldn't have posted this, just because remember how dumb we all looked freaking out over Josh Moon's tweets?  It is just setting us up for that.  And also isn't the timing of these Twitter posts odd to anyone else?  Whenever Auburn has momentum these start to come out of the woodwork.  I would just delete this entirely.

Love ya ABW!

Brooks is a twit and a head case, serious mental issues.  He comes out of the woodwork after a decade and digs some old crap from 9 months ago that Josh Moon was spouting off...Moon is another twit that came out of the woodwork to spew this same crap about AU boosters and Stoops back in December.  Notice how we've haven't heard a peep from Moon since last year?

Why Auburn fans let scum like Brooks/Moon bait them into even entertaining these rumors is baffling to me.  

Now folks are bashing Jimmy Rane, and saying our fans are our worst enemies and the griping on this board is what feeds this chaotic frenzy with rumors swirling.  In reality this is a bunch of nothing.

28 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Exactly, he's already doing so lol. You know my point though, if he wanted to be at a major college program he would be there already.

Eh, not necessarily. The only job he'd want in the Big 12 is the one he retired from. He might not be interested in coaching on the West Coast, where it's harder to recruit. LSU and uga hired their guys right before he retired. The ACC schools in Florida are dumpster fires. 

Florida's probably the most attractive job that has come open since he retired, and its possible that he wasn't ready to come back before they hired Mullen. Or maybe he would have taken the gig but they could get Mullen- which was a slam dunk hire given his history there and his success with QBs at MSU- a lot cheaper. 

We are a *damned* attractive job right now. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Love ya ABW!

Brooks is a twit and a head case, serious mental issues.  He comes out of the woodwork after a decade and digs some old crap from 9 months ago that Josh Moon was spouting off...Moon is another twit that came out of the woodwork to spew this same crap about AU boosters and Stoops back in December.  Notice how we've haven't heard a peep from Moon since last year?

Why Auburn fans let scum like Brooks/Moon bait them into even entertaining these rumors is baffling to me.  

Now folks are bashing Jimmy Rane, and saying our fans are our worst enemies and the griping on this board is what feeds this chaotic frenzy with rumors swirling.  In reality this is a bunch of nothing.

Why would Moon have said anything else? He's not even on a sports beat. Not sure why y'all assume he was wrong. 

52 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ron Zook was a great coach? Well damn! I have been looking at him wrong all these years! lol. 

No.......but he was in pretty damn good shape physically.....if based on looks alone then he looked like a good coach😂

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

This appears to be nothing but a rumor.  Personally I wouldn't have posted this, just because remember how dumb we all looked freaking out over Josh Moon's tweets?  It is just setting us up for that.  And also isn't the timing of these Twitter posts odd to anyone else?  Whenever Auburn has momentum these start to come out of the woodwork.  I would just delete this entirely.

That thread was classic because quite a few just knew and also Gus is going to take a pay cut to stay! Good times. 

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol. He is my favorite football coach all time. I love watching his teams play. They are always fun. He has a swagger and confidence about him that I YEARN for any of our football coaches to have. OF COURSE when HE leaves programs are not going to be that great. He is a great football coach and whoever is the next coach is a huge downgrade. I mean what did you expect to happen?! For teams to continue being natty contenders? lmao.  He is 187-32 all time and is 11-3 in bowl games. It takes way more than just always having great QB play as you say to be ELITE like that. LOL that Jim Tressel had built up?! You mean he took over a program that Jim Tressel had made it where they got hit with heavy probation and reduction of scholarships for the terrelle pryor scandal.

I agree, how can you not like a coach named 'Urban'! 

He's had 15 9+ seasons out of 17 years. 

I'll take him in a heartbeat. And he's only 55. 

To not look at his total career, and throw out stuff about who he follows is so narrow minded. If you don't like him, fine, but look at his consistent success. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why would Moon have said anything else? He's not even on a sports beat. Not sure why y'all assume he was wrong. 

Where did he come from with his info, and why would a "source" go to him of all people to spread the Stoops news?  The same as Jay Tate and P Marshall reporting of ever move within the AD like they were sitting outside Leath/Harbert's door like a courtroom reporter.  I just don't believe cats like Josh Moon or Clay Travis or Brooks Melichior (sp).

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1. Look at everything bama has done to upgrade their facilities *after* they hired saban.

2. If they land Stoops, they have most definitely graduated from being amateur coaching recruiters to pros.

3. If they meddle and Stoops comes here, then them meddling is the reason that the biggest name DID come here.

4. Back to 1. If they do the heavy lifting to get Stoops, then everyone else's pocketbook immediately opens very, very wide and any project you want starts happening immediately. JJ was possibly the biggest thing holding back facilities, but there is the problem that a lot of big dollars don't want to chase a mediocre coach. Hire Stoops and there is no wait and see. 

I'm not saying there are legs to this story anymore. (LOL at anyone assuming that there weren't 9 months ago.) But if there is a number that gets Stoops and the big boys want to get together and hit it, then we as fans should send them all a thank you card and maybe a $5 spot to help ease the burden. 

Oh, another thing. If we get Stoops, that means the meddling is over. He would not come here without assurances that he'd be running his own program as he sees fit. Believe it or not, Gus has already achieved this, although that might be more of them giving him a nice length of rope. 

On most things I usually agree with you but on this one not so much. It's nice to think it would happen like that, until it doesn't. As soon as Coach X has a mediocre season it's wait and see time. That is exactly the reason we don't already have the facilities. Long term capital improvements require a long term vision/commitment and are independent of who the coach may be in 5 years. 

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree, how can you not like a coach named 'Urban'! 

He's had 15 9+ seasons out of 17 years. 

I'll take him in a heartbeat. And he's only 55. 

To not look at his total career, and throw out stuff about who he follows is so narrow minded. If you don't like him, fine, but look at his consistent success. 

Lol I know he's good but man I can't stand him.

Anyways, he's not coming here.

If the recent college football slate has taught me anything, it's that in order to be dominant in this league you must be elite in two aspects:

1. Recruiting.

2. Adapting to changes in the game.

Look at the teams that have dominated the past couple of years- 

• Alabama changed from an under center, single back offense to a pro-style spread offense with west coast influences. 
  • Georgia made a similar transition, moving to a shotgun based pro-style with heavy focus on run game
  • Oklahoma shifted from a pro-style offense to a spread, then eventually to an air-raid that's designed to be quarterback-friendly
  • Ohio State transitioned from a read-option offense with JT Barrett to a pro-style spread with Dwayne Haskins w/ heavy 5-wide sets, then to a more balanced spread w/ Fields
  • Clemson has used varying amounts of RPO/Read Option depending who is running at QB (Deshaun/Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence). Recently, they've been increasing the number of Shanahan inspired crossing routes on play action boots to get their athletes into space.
  • LSU transitioned form the "toss-power" Miles offense to a pro-style spread that relies heavily on data and analytics in playcalling

The same teams are the one who dominate the recruiting rankings. From 247's "Team Talent Composite":

• Alabama - #1
  • Ohio State - #2
  • Georgia - #3
  • LSU - #5
  • Oklahoma - #8
  • Clemson - #9

That is what we need to be looking for. Someone who can recruit at a high level and who is ready and willing to innovate and adapt. That's what it takes to be an elite football team.

I'll be honest- I don't want Bob Stoops to come to Auburn. And for those saying "he won in the past!"- so did Chip Kelly, but look at UCLA. So did Mark Richt, yet he couldn't win at Miami. So did Jim Harbaugh, who has yet to beat Ohio State. Bielema won a ton at Wisconsin, how did Arkansas work out? Lovie Smith won a Super Bowl, but how is Illinois doing? What about our own Tommy Tuberville- how did he work out for Cincinatti or Texas Tech? 

Oklahoma Offensive PPG by Year:

• 2011: 39.5
  • 2012: 38.2
  • 2013: 32.8
  • 2014: 36.4
  • 2015: 43.5 <-- Lincoln Riley hired as OC
  • 2016: 43.9
  • 2017: 45.1 <-- Riley's first season as HC, Baker Heisman
  • 2018: 48.4 <-- Murray Heisman
  • 2019: 55.7 (in-progress)

While I will give credit to Stoops for hiring Riley, you cannot deny that it was Riley who had the bigger impact on their offensive performance, not Stoops.

Now let's look at someone like UCF: 

• 2014: 28.1 
  • 2015: 13.9 <-- UCF went 0-12, fired O'Leary, hired Frost
  • 2016: 28.8
  • 2017: 48.2 <-- Undefeated, Frost to Nebraska, hired Hupel, beat AU in Sugar Bowl
  • 2018: 43.2* <-- Undefeated regular season, lost to LSU in Fiesta Bowl
  • 2019: 51.7

*Starting QB and Heisman hopeful Mckenzie Milton had a devastating knee injury against USF in the final regular season game. UCF still won the AAC. Milton is out for the entire 2019 season.

Lets also look at their recruiting rankings:

• 2014: 68th, avg rating 0.8313
  • 2015: 71, 0.8355
  • 2016: 65, 0.8262
  • 2017: 55, 0.8336
  • 2018: 62, 0.8364
  • 2019: 59, 0.8424
  • 2020: 57, 0.8343

UCF's revival was definitely engineered by Frost, but Hupel hasn't just ridden on that wave, if anything their offense is more explosive now than it was before. 

I'm not saying we should run out and hire Hupel (though he is definitely on my watch list, as is Mike Norvell at Memphis), but what I am saying is that we need to look deeper than just the W/L record, because that's how we become Tennessee hiring Butch Jones, or UCLA hiring Chip Kelly, or USC hiring Steve Sarkesian. 

4 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

If the recent college football slate has taught me anything, it's that in order to be dominant in this league you must be elite in two aspects:

1. Recruiting.

2. Adapting to changes in the game.

Look at the teams that have dominated the past couple of years- 

• Alabama changed from an under center, single back offense to a pro-style spread offense with west coast influences. 
  • Georgia made a similar transition, moving to a shotgun based pro-style with heavy focus on run game
  • Oklahoma shifted from a pro-style offense to a spread, then eventually to an air-raid that's designed to be quarterback-friendly
  • Ohio State transitioned from a read-option offense with JT Barrett to a pro-style spread with Dwayne Haskins w/ heavy 5-wide sets, then to a more balanced spread w/ Fields
  • Clemson has used varying amounts of RPO/Read Option depending who is running at QB (Deshaun/Kelly Bryant vs Trevor Lawrence). Recently, they've been increasing the number of Shanahan inspired crossing routes on play action boots to get their athletes into space.
  • LSU transitioned form the "toss-power" Miles offense to a pro-style spread that relies heavily on data and analytics in playcalling

The same teams are the one who dominate the recruiting rankings. From 247's "Team Talent Composite":

• Alabama - #1
  • Ohio State - #2
  • Georgia - #3
  • LSU - #5
  • Oklahoma - #8
  • Clemson - #9

That is what we need to be looking for. Someone who can recruit at a high level and who is ready and willing to innovate and adapt. That's what it takes to be an elite football team.

I'll be honest- I don't want Bob Stoops to come to Auburn. And for those saying "he won in the past!"- so did Chip Kelly, but look at UCLA. So did Mark Richt, yet he couldn't win at Miami. So did Jim Harbaugh, who has yet to beat Ohio State. Bielema won a ton at Wisconsin, how did Arkansas work out? Lovie Smith won a Super Bowl, but how is Illinois doing? What about our own Tommy Tuberville- how did he work out for Cincinatti or Texas Tech? 

Oklahoma Offensive PPG by Year:

• 2011: 39.5
  • 2012: 38.2
  • 2013: 32.8
  • 2014: 36.4
  • 2015: 43.5 <-- Lincoln Riley hired as OC
  • 2016: 43.9
  • 2017: 45.1 <-- Riley's first season as HC, Baker Heisman
  • 2018: 48.4 <-- Murray Heisman
  • 2019: 55.7 (in-progress)

While I will give credit to Stoops for hiring Riley, you cannot deny that it was Riley who had the bigger impact on their offensive performance, not Stoops.

Now let's look at someone like UCF: 

• 2014: 28.1 
  • 2015: 13.9 <-- UCF went 0-12, fired O'Leary, hired Frost
  • 2016: 28.8
  • 2017: 48.2 <-- Undefeated, Frost to Nebraska, hired Hupel, beat AU in Sugar Bowl
  • 2018: 43.2* <-- Undefeated regular season, lost to LSU in Fiesta Bowl
  • 2019: 51.7

*Starting QB and Heisman hopeful Mckenzie Milton had a devastating knee injury against USF in the final regular season game. UCF still won the AAC. Milton is out for the entire 2019 season.

Lets also look at their recruiting rankings:

• 2014: 68th, avg rating 0.8313
  • 2015: 71, 0.8355
  • 2016: 65, 0.8262
  • 2017: 55, 0.8336
  • 2018: 62, 0.8364
  • 2019: 59, 0.8424
  • 2020: 57, 0.8343

UCF's revival was definitely engineered by Frost, but Hupel hasn't just ridden on that wave, if anything their offense is more explosive now than it was before. 

I'm not saying we should run out and hire Hupel (though he is definitely on my watch list, as is Mike Norvell at Memphis), but what I am saying is that we need to look deeper than just the W/L record, because that's how we become Tennessee hiring Butch Jones, or UCLA hiring Chip Kelly, or USC hiring Steve Sarkesian. 

As a UCF grad I absolutely love Heupel and Frost. Both are tremendous with quarterbacks and developing talent from virtually nothing but 3* athletes.

25 minutes ago, wde21 said:

I wish I had kept a record of how many “ controversial” articles come out about Auburn the week before a big game if we are doing well. It is all part of the bammer media machine!

"You're so right, Carl..."

Great reminder! #timingtimingtiming

:jossun:

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Exactly, he's already doing so lol. You know my point though, if he wanted to be at a major college program he would be there already.

Freeze was hired as an AAFL(or whatever that disaster was) coach and dropped it like a bad habit to go to Liberty. Stoops would do the same. Wouldn’t be surprised if Freeze got a call if Gus fails this year. 

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Freeze was hired as an AAFL(or whatever that disaster was) coach and dropped it like a bad habit to go to Liberty. Stoops would do the same. Wouldn’t be surprised if Freeze got a call if Gus fails this year. 

Will he coach full time from his hospital bed?

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Uhhh… we did this horse and pony show last time with some posters acting like it was a done deal and that Gus was out. Then, Gus had a new contract instead and everything was proven to pretty much be a "nothing burger". Believe what you want but Bob Stoops isn't the answer here and he's not likely to come out to Auburn. If the guy wanted to be coaching somewhere he would already be doing so.

Josh Heupel, Bill Clark, Mike Norvell, or some young coordinator are more likely options IF something happens. Honestly, it's looking like we might finish (9-3) and that would all but guarantee Gus another season. Now, the 2020-21 season might be the melt down season with all 5 OL graduating and a slew of defensive talent going pro or graduating.

No booster is getting Gus out of here while we're (3-0) and sitting in the top 10 nationally.

9-3 seems a stretch. Just saying.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I think 1.71X as much but I could be wrong

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Meh, it's par for the course with his situation. Everyone in the world knows Gus is on a hot plate of a seat. I see it as (8-4) Gus is likely the absolute floor of what is acceptable and (9-3) all but guarantees he stays; considering those three losses will be to top 10 teams and we have a true fresh qb.

He has to win at least two of these games: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU.

Going out on a limb here, and don't enjoy this but, I'll take 0-5 for $500. Please prove me wrong Gus!!!

22 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If Kevin Steele can coach from the sidelines, I bet Stoops could as well. 

LOL NOOOOO bro. I was talking about Freeze.

erwerw.jpg

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

It would be so Auburn to go after Bob Stoops when there is a clearly better coach available who is younger than Stoops!!! AND YES SOMEHOW SOMEWAY if we by some miracle hired Stoops I STILL would find a way to complain!!!!! lol. IT IS WHAT I DO!!!!!!! haha.

It's what a Flair guy does... complain. Saw him complain and get beat down by the Von Erichs in Texas Stadium multiple times as a kid lol.

claw.jpg

Archived