2019/20 Season Long Men's Rankings & NET Thread

toddc

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t think getting killed in 2 of ur 3 quadrant 1 games is a good look. 

It's definitely not but we can't assume it looks worse to the committee than pollsters. We aren't in the committee room to have that knowledge.

Well...see we dropped to #16 in one poll which is probably still a bit high but good place to hold until we see what happens the next couple of games.   

The polls don't mean much I guess but then again, we were all pretty happy to be a top 5 team....even if only for a few weeks. 

Starting to look like the old days when we played poorly on the road...not just lost, but lost badly.   BUT.. we have  LSU and UK at home and a chance to bounce back. Folks can say the polls don't mean anything...and maybe that's true....but nobody is happy when our rivals are ranked higher.

The rankings where there is voting involved are the ones that don't matter. Those are saturated in agenda and name-brand is emphasized. The NET and KenPom are the ones we should pay attention to.

1 hour ago, Butthead said:

we won both games this week, and dropped a spot.  only auburn!

No. It's happened to other teams before also.

2 hours ago, Butthead said:

we won both games this week, and dropped a spot.  only auburn!

Its the way we won. Almost giving games away in last 5 minutes after having double digit leads against teams we were clearly better than.

Despite the two wins, those two beat-downs on the road were really ugly and that sticks in the memory of voters. And despite the overall W-L total, Auburn still has not played a ranked team. So I guess it's not really surprising to drop another spot. The guys have an opportunity this week against Kentucky, which is not a powerhouse this season, but is at least ranked.

Auburn is back to 11 in the AP. Really surprised they didn't get top 10 but Villanova only dropped 2 spots despite losing to an unranked team. I blame it on Jesse Newell for still not having Auburn ranked in the top 25 despite having Kentucky at 25, Ohio State at 12, Michigan State at 7, and Arizona at 10. One of the worst pollsters this week.

2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Auburn is back to 11 in the AP. Really surprised they didn't get top 10 but Villanova only dropped 2 spots despite losing to an unranked team. I blame it on Jesse Newell for still not having Auburn ranked in the top 25 despite having Kentucky at 25, Ohio State at 12, Michigan State at 7, and Arizona at 10. One of the worst pollsters this week.

Both of our losses are to unranked teams as well so can't hold losing to unranked teams against someone.

JMO

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

Both of our losses are to unranked teams as well so can't hold losing to unranked teams against someone.

JMO

I can when Villanova has 2 more losses than we do, Ohio State has 5 more, Arizona has 4 more, and Michigan State has 4 more. Sorry, but with our record we should be ranked on everyone's ballot and definitely not below Ohio State and Arizona.

28 minutes ago, cheap seats said:

AP #11

Coaches #10

Up 6 spots in both.

Very nice.....everyone was waiting on our first "hang you hat" type win and we delivered. Have a chance for 2 more impressive wins this week with Arky on the road and LSU at home. I'll be in attendance for the LSU game. Hope we bring it at home like we have all year! 

I did notice on the AP voter list that most of them put us between 9-12. I did see two voters that had us at 17 though. There were so many pages I wasn’t going to look through it all. Lol

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We have some ugly losses, but OSU is the king of recent ugly losses

Losing 6 of their last 9 ... yeah, shouldn't be anywhere near the top 25.

6 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

@tgrogan21 we were lucky to even get to 11. We got that high only because Seton Hall WVU, Oregon, & Sparty all lost last week. Had they not lost we would be 14 or 15 now.

6 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I can when Villanova has 2 more losses than we do

They've also played 5 more Quad 1 games than we have with a slightly better record. And no Q2, 3, or 4 losses just like us so they are perfectly justified being ranked ahead of us.

TBH it's not worth putting all this energy worrying about where any one person in a poll has us ranked or even the entire polls themselves because they don't matter. The only rankings that matter are the ones the NCAA Selection committee uses foe seeding & selection. Those are the NET & to a lesser extent the BPI, KenPom, Sagarin, & KP rankings.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

TBH it's not worth putting all this energy worrying about where any one person in a poll has us ranked or even the entire polls themselves because they don't matter. The only rankings that matter are the ones the NCAA Selection committee uses foe seeding & selection. Those are the NET & to a lesser extent the BPI, KenPom, Sagarin, & KP rankings.

Eh, that's where I disagree with you. It might not matter in terms of seeding for the selection committee but it sure as heck matters in terms of national perspective. That's the number that goes in front of the team while playing on tv, it's the number that all of the journalists and analysts talk about, when people think of rankings that's the first one most people will look at and talk about. So, yeah, I get a bit annoyed when pollsters don't rank a 19-2 team who just beat Kentucky.

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Eh, that's where I disagree with you. It might not matter in terms of seeding for the selection committee but it sure as heck matters in terms of national perspective. That's the number that goes in front of the team while playing on tv, it's the number that all of the journalists and analysts talk about, when people think of rankings that's the first one most people will look at and talk about. So, yeah, I get a bit annoyed when pollsters don't rank a 19-2 team who just beat Kentucky.

Again, who gives a flip? Having the number by the name is nice & as long as you have pretty much any number by your name you are getting the exposure. But in the end Do Auburn & Be Auburn. Take care of ourselves & everything else will take care of itself. Just enjoy the damn ride we are on regardless of where we are or not ranked or who has or has not ranked us.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Again, who gives a flip? Having the number by the name is nice & as long as you have pretty much any number by your name you are getting the exposure. But in the end Do Auburn & Be Auburn. Take care of ourselves & everything else will take care of itself. Just enjoy the damn ride we are on regardless of where we are or not ranked or who has or has not ranked us.

I give a flip! It's not like I'm losing sleep over it or anything and it also doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the "damn ride" but this is an Auburn Basketball forum. I come on here to discuss things that are happening to Auburn Basketball. Some idiot not putting Auburn in their top 25 is worthy enough for me to want to talk about it. Maybe you don't think it should be talked about but I do. Have a good day and War Eagle.

7 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I give a flip! It's not like I'm losing sleep over it or anything and it also doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the "damn ride" but this is an Auburn Basketball forum. I come on here to discuss things that are happening to Auburn Basketball. Some idiot not putting Auburn in their top 25 is worthy enough for me to want to talk about it. Maybe you don't think it should be talked about but I do. Have a good day and War Eagle.

Relax man. There was no ill will in my post. I'm sorry it came across that way.

His reasoning was stupid, especially since the AP tells the voters to vote based on actual results, not predictive results such as KenPom.

I hope you can get past this snafu we have because I value as a quality poster @tgrogan21

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Relax man. There was no ill will in my post. I'm sorry it came across that way.

His reasoning was stupid, especially since the AP tells the voters to vote based on actual results, not predictive results such as KenPom.

I hope you can get past this snafu we have because I value as a quality poster @tgrogan21

You're all good. Maybe it came off bad since I read it at 5 am this morning before work. :P Maybe I should wait until I've had some caffeine before I comment on anything. I apologize if my comment came off as snippy, didn't mean it to be that way either.

Newell replied to someone on twitter mentioning Kenpom and Torvik having Auburn both in the mid to high 30's. But he still ranked Kentucky at 25 despite both of those metrics having Kentucky in the mid to high 30's. I'm not a huge fan of Kenpom, despite everyone else loving it. Would rather see rankings based on what you've done so far because you never know what's gonna happen between now and next week. Injuries, suspensions, illnesses, etc.

Up to 17 net following the win at Arkansas. 

Archived