Leadership, vision hard to find in stormy times

aubiefifty

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lost said:

Phillip MARSHALL says Gus is staying barring a blowout loss to Bama and even then still probably. Buyout too big of a hurdle

I’ve never considered starting a GoFundMe page until now. 

47 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

What would your opinion be if Auburn's D held Bama and all those 5* players to 21 pts or less and Auburn's O mustered 14 pts or less to a team that LSU just dropped 46 pts on and realistically could have scored 50+?

I remind myself that I have a LSU MBA and I go full Orgeron, even though it probably isn't safe to go full Orgeron ever

fullorgeron.gif

47 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree on all fronts of this post. I have no inclination of this game being an AU win unless we play our best game. The thing that makes Bama's Offense so good in my opinion is more about the people catching #13s passes. They got speed and dynamic players at every spot. It will be a challenge on our Defense, and on Offense...well we all know that story. I would love for AU to knock Bama out of playoff contention.. That would be the only thing this season to celebrate other than watching the best Defense to hit the plains in recent memory and one of the very best DLineman to ever play in AU or any college uniform IMPO. War Damn Derrick Brown. Eat you a big MAC against the turds. 

And that line he stands behind. That line will make many a qb look good. We have that line we are probably at 10 wins right now.

My take on Phillip Marshall's input.  

Image result for phillip marshall van gorder gif

11 hours ago, lost said:

It's how you lose?   I thought a loss was a loss?  Saban plays his qb up 35-7 and gets him knocked out for the year and he is given a free get out of jail card,

NS wears about six get-out-of-jail cards on his fingers.

22 hours ago, rophle said:

Easy now, you’re treading in dangerous territory with that kind of common sense approach. 

LOL Just like the people yelling we need more "Common Sense" laws!!!.....the issue with saying that is it implies that anyone that disagrees lacks common sense. I think there are what would be labeled by and those that use the terminology, common sense approaches to this from all sides. 

You were correct in warning them of the danger though lol....playing with fire.

14 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

What would your opinion be if Auburn's D held Bama and all those 5* players to 21 pts or less and Auburn's O mustered 14 pts or less to a team that LSU just dropped 46 pts on and realistically could have scored 50+?

Most of those bama 5* are on defense.      Have not seen the "spread" but I expect bama will be favored....without Tua ….. and probably all they have to do is win over AU by any amount.   The AU defense is very well respected and it did not hurt UGa ranking to get only 21 points and less than 300 yards against AU.

Looking forward, I figure on LSU eliminating the dawgs....and bama will be in...with a win over AU..     If they lose to AU, they are out and nobody is gonna give them a pass because of Tua......JMO

As for LSU vs bama…..or anyone....Burrow is a special QB I look forward to seeing what he can do with UGA. 

51 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

LOL Just like the people yelling we need more "Common Sense" laws!!!.....the issue with saying that is it implies that anyone that disagrees lacks common sense. I think there are what would be labeled by and those that use the terminology, common sense approaches to this from all sides. 

You were correct in warning them of the danger though lol....playing with fire.

I’m not implying that the either side lacks common sense. I just think some people (not everyone!) want to make emotional judgements.

We’re all upset that we’ve lost some games this year but, firing a coach that could still potentially beat Bama, win 10 games, and have to pay him 27 mil to go away isn’t common sense in my opinion. 

The players may like him personally but I'm fairly certain they know the deficiencies. Stidham's family was tweeting that Gus was the worst coach in America. Literally those words. His fiancee/wife liked the tweet. We have a player's own mother here who criticizes the use of our RBs. We've had players transfer mid-season over the past 2 years because of player utilization and a few others that were reportedly mulling transferring themselves.. These people are all very close to the situation and voicing their displeasure in a variety of ways. I mean Gus couldn't even figure out the redshirt rule with Asa Martin. The players see it, the families see it. And there are people who actually defend Gus. The people with real skin in the game are seeing his mismanagement up close and aren't happy about it but we have some fans who claim to want the best for AU saying things are fine and he needs to stick around longer. Lol it's funny honestly. This thing goes beyond W/L numbers. We have 8 wins baked into our schedule each year. Hovering at that number is actually a failure, not some reason to keep him around.

Marlon Davidson gave a "no comment" when asked if it was the defense that let LSU off the hook. These players know exactly whats happening.

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The players may like him personally but I'm fairly certain they know the deficiencies. Stidham's family was tweeting that Gus was the worst coach in America. Literally those words. His fiancee/wife liked the tweet. We have a player's own mother here who criticizes the use of our RBs. We've had players transfer mid-season over the past 2 years because of player utilization and a few others that were reportedly mulling transferring themselves.. These people are all very close to the situation and voicing their displeasure in a variety of ways. I mean Gus couldn't even figure out the redshirt rule with Asa Martin. The players see it, the families see it. And there are people who actually defend Gus. The people with real skin in the game are seeing his mismanagement up close and aren't happy about it but we have some fans who claim to want the best for AU saying things are fine and he needs to stick around longer. Lol it's funny honestly. This thing goes beyond W/L numbers. We have 8 wins baked into our schedule each year. Hovering at that number is actually a failure, not some reason to keep him around.

Marlon Davidson gave a "no comment" when asked if it was the defense that let LSU off the hook. These players know exactly whats happening.

And if by chance the players had any doubt about what's happening, they saw it with their own eyes during and after that Ole Miss game that went down to the wire in JHS.

After playing away from home for a month they saw the OM game - after 2 weeks to prepare and game plan they saw the UGA offense.  

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You forgot to mention all the players transferring and complaining are from the offensive side of the ball.  It kind of narrows it down.  I was one that hoped we did not land Kelly Bryant so it would strip yet another excuse for Gus’ lack of player development.

21 hours ago, lost said:

Not calling you a liar but i don't believe that.  I believe Gus still is the head coach, not Steele

Gus is the head coach in the sense that he oversees the whole program, but he doesn't "coach" Steele.  If either of them is "coaching" the other (i.e. picking the other's brain, soliciting/listening to input from a guy on the other side of the ball), it's Steele coaching Gus.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:21 AM, lost said:

Again,  2013.  Everybody knew what was coming but could not stop it.   It is execution, not Gus just being hard headed.   Watch Gus grab his head in frustration.  Right call, but OL.Receivers, etc not getting it done.    Yes changes need to be made, but Gus ain't lost it....   He is not Saban, but he can beat Saban

I admit in 2013 Marshall and mason would fake out even the cameramen they were so good. But that duo was a specific skill set. . Plus the offensive line could obviously open holes to make it work. They also gave Marshall a little more  time to throw longer if need be (UGA game 2013 for example). It was sick in 2013 but without a mason-like rb it wont work. I think we have potential and Bo is quick on his feet but the oline May be preventing it from flowing like 2013. Still when something doesn’t work, you got to try another way. Id like to see an LSU-style short pass game with Schwartz 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Most of those bama 5* are on defense. 

By my count, using 24/7's composite rankings, there are four players rated as 5-stars on offense (Tua would have been the 5th, but he's obviously out for this game):

Najee Harris (RB)
Jerry Jeudy (WR)
Alex Leatherwood (OL)
Jaylen Waddle (WR)

There are two 5-stars in the lineup on defense (Dylan Moses would have been another, but he's out for the season):

LaBryan Ray (DE)
Patrick Surtain II (CB)

3 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

Id like to see an LSU-style short pass game with Schwartz 

I would settle for creating mismatches in the pass game. Florida did this to us when Mullen got their fastest WR matched up with KJ Britt. That's no disrespect to Britt he's a hell of a LB but he's going to lose that battle in coverage every time. Yet we can't seem to figure out how to get a LB matched up with Schwartz. That would be so problematic for defenses but evidently there isn't enough room in the "system" to do these kinds of things.

I mean it took Gus 6 effing weeks to figure out maybe it would be a good idea to put his 2 best WRs on the field at the same time. WTF? You really can't excuse this type of dumbassery

23 hours ago, lost said:

The reality of the situation is whiny Auburn fans who want instant gratification.

Having seen enough after 7 seasons is not "instant" anything.  

53 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

I admit in 2013 Marshall and mason would fake out even the cameramen they were so good. But that duo was a specific skill set. . Plus the offensive line could obviously open holes to make it work. They also gave Marshall a little more  time to throw longer if need be (UGA game 2013 for example). It was sick in 2013 but without a mason-like rb it wont work. I think we have potential and Bo is quick on his feet but the oline May be preventing it from flowing like 2013. Still when something doesn’t work, you got to try another way. Id like to see an LSU-style short pass game with Schwartz 

Marshall and Mason were both legitimate big play and/or touchdown threats any time a football was in their hands, and they happened to be the best fake handoff duo that I think I have ever seen.  There was a wildcat QB taking every snap, he was trusted to throw the ball as well, and he had a Heisman finalist back there with him.  If the defense bit on the wrong ball carrier, either one of them was fast enough to be in the secondary before they realized it.  If Marshall had the ball, the only way the defense ever knew he was not subject to throw the ball to a receiver they forgot about was once he crossed the line of scrimmage.  That was what everyone lining up to defend against them knew.

Marshall was a CB playing QB.  He was conditioned to run a lot, and was quite good at it.  He was excellent at keeping the play going long enough for an opportunity to present itself, or simply create one himself.  I doubt he ever takes snaps at QB for a major P5 program that is not coached by Gus Malzahn or Rich Rodriguez, but at Auburn he was good enough to complete a pass to himself for a big play.  You simply cannot coach the instincts that man had.  The rest of the offensive players were important too.  Blocking was great.  Corey Grant was a wildcard.  The passing offense was threatening enough that you could never commit the whole defense to containing Marshall and Mason, or Marshall might find Sammie Coates out there wide open.  2013 does not get recreated without a clone of Marshall and Mason, but I think it also does not get recreated without a clone of the roster.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Having seen enough after 7 seasons is not "instant" anything.  

lol...   Love how you guys just sweep aside the NC game in 2013, the 2017 defeat of 2#1 teams, the fact since 2013 no team in America has faced more ranked teams than Gus and Auburn and none are close when you compare top 10 teams( not counting bowl or playoff).  The whole picture is a YES one of inconsistency----!!! but Gus has won a lot of big games.  Even this year - because of the way it is playing out- many are acting like this coach is way below average.  Well he is not.  But i understand there is that 49million thingy and another loss to lsu and ga....  But instant, meaning--- regardless of having an above average coach-- you are willing to go ( what i figure adding the buyout and the next staff also) at least 50 million more deeper in the kitty---- when WE ARE BEHIND ALMOST EVERY PROGRAM IN THE SEC NOW IN FACILITIES AND STADIUM

Does Gus Malzahn Have the Toughest Job in the Country?

A Closer Look at the Road from 2013-Present

https://apple.news/Aq6pM1gBmRjWFxbG9VcswBw

Great article on AU’s schedule the last 7 years. What coach would want to come into this situation?

1 hour ago, lost said:

lol...   Love how you guys just sweep aside the NC game in 2013

Didn't sweep it aside.  But there's been 6 seasons since then, all of which ended with 4 or 5 losses and the current one still has that potential.

1 hour ago, lost said:

, the 2017 defeat of 2#1 teams,

A season that also included two ridiculous losses due to Gus being stupid on offense, and his lack of RB recruitment and roster management costing us an SEC title and CFP berth because we had nothing after Kerryon went down.

1 hour ago, lost said:

the fact since 2013 no team in America has faced more ranked teams than Gus and Auburn and none are close when you compare top 10 teams( not counting bowl or playoff).  The whole picture is a YES one of inconsistency----!!! but Gus has won a lot of big games.  Even this year - because of the way it is playing out- many are acting like this coach is way below average.  Well he is not.  But i understand there is that 49million thingy and another loss to lsu and ga....  But instant, meaning--- regardless of having an above average coach-- you are willing to go ( what i figure adding the buyout and the next staff also) at least 50 million more deeper in the kitty---- when WE ARE BEHIND ALMOST EVERY PROGRAM IN THE SEC NOW IN FACILITIES AND STADIUM

He's won some big games, almost exclusively confined to 2 of his 7 seasons here.  But the fact remains he's 2-5 against LSU, 2-6 against Georgia, 2-4 against Bama (so far).  And LSU wasn't a world beater program for much of that stretch.  The bottom line is, what he's done isn't good enough.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Didn't sweep it aside.  But there's been 6 seasons since then, all of which ended with 4 or 5 losses and the current one still has that potential.

A season that also included two ridiculous losses due to Gus being stupid on offense, and his lack of RB recruitment and roster management costing us an SEC title and CFP berth because we had nothing after Kerryon went down.

He's won some big games, almost exclusively confined to 2 of his 7 seasons here.  But the fact remains he's 2-5 against LSU, 2-6 against Georgia, 2-4 against Bama (so far).  And LSU wasn't a world beater program for much of that stretch.  The bottom line is, what he's done isn't good enough.

You know what I like about you Titan? You just state facts. And those who argue with you can “ahem” Whine all they want but facts is facts...

7-14 vs top 10, 18-20 vs. top 25, 6-15 vs. rivals. These numbers don't lie. When you year in and year out get top 10 recruiting classes you should at least be .500 against other top 10 teams, not 33%. You should also easily be better than 47% vs top 25 teams. Closer to like 60% at least. And going 29% against your rivals is pitiful. Paying a top 6 salary and getting top 10 recruiting classes should not show results like this. 

Archived