Leadership, vision hard to find in stormy times

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, Beenjammin said:

AMEN!

Outsiders are giving AU fans a stigma of being spoiled, but its not just this year's losses, or even last year's. It stems from the day Tubberville left. $27,000,000 for 6 years of the same exact offense whether is be (Nick, Marshall, J.J, Sean White, Jarrett Stidham, and now the Bo Nix)...  Nothing changes, its the same thing on a different day.... And now we see Jeremy Pruitt calling plays before they even happen. We are THAT obvious. I promise its not just Pruitt that can read us like a coloring book.

Again,  2013.  Everybody knew what was coming but could not stop it.   It is execution, not Gus just being hard headed.   Watch Gus grab his head in frustration.  Right call, but OL.Receivers, etc not getting it done.    Yes changes need to be made, but Gus ain't lost it....   He is not Saban, but he can beat Saban

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, lost said:

Actually it is the opposite.  Who else got us to the point of competing for these?  Gus Malzhan is connected to it all.  Ignore it, but it is true.   That is why you just don't have hissy fits because every year he does not do it like Saban.  There is only one Saban

Dude nobody gives a damn about Saban. He's the least of our worries. He only accounts for ONE game on our schedule each year. Gus is hitting 4 or 5 losses per season. Saban is only accounting for one of them a year.

Gus ran the same play over and over in 2013 who knew he'd be such an idiot to keep that strategy even when the offense can only move the chains once in 8 drives?

6 hours ago, lost said:

It is not his fault the QB cannot execute the throw, or the receiver drops the ball or the OL fails to block.

Then the HC should find coaches that don't allow for those execution errors to be prominent issues. Especially if they have been recurring issues for years

Leadership and vision start and end with the Athletic Director.  It is HIS job to have a vision for every sport and to place a coach in that sport that can achieve the vision and goals he sets for them.

Phillip Marshall can get on the horn with any BOT member (current or former) or an former AU coach or any big money booster and he will get "their" opinion.  But those people are not tasked with having a vision and providing leadership and accountability for the damn football coach or basketball or any other sport.

I bet pretty heavily that Allen Greene (if he makes a statement at all) will explain that he is well aware of the expectations of the Auburn people and the staff will be evaluated at the end of the season. When it's all said and done, AU is a top 15 ranked team right now with a very high probability of finishing this season with 9-10 wins.  Which is a hell of a lot better situation than Greene found himself in this time last year.  

Who would Auburn look like fools to? People who only pay attention during the really good or  really bad times? Most CFB writers and analyst act like they have amnesia when discussing the possibility of letting Malzahn go like they haven't been ripping him since 2015. 

2 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Who would Auburn look like fools to? People who only pay attention during the really good or  really bad times? Most CFB writers and analyst act like they have amnesia when discussing the possibility of letting Malzahn go like they haven't been ripping him since 2015. 

Those same people that ripped LSU and UGA for firing their HCs are applauding their teams now. If we make any decisions based on if somebody will write an article slamming us because they have to meet a monthly quota of clicks then we are truly operating this whole thing backwards.

My point is and always has been.  To continue on we have to deal with where we are RIGHT NOW.  Mistakes were made before this day, November 20, 2019 that brings AU University in a position where we are dealing with past contracts and money, plus Gus's contract, plus being behind in the facilities war!  We are though still competing with Gus Malzhan, as my posts were showing.  So to me it is more sensible to deal with Gus and work with him a couple more years as long as we are still recruiting at a high level and still competing.   We can work on the facilities part and be planning our next move, instead of the immediate gratification whining of most

14 minutes ago, lost said:

Actually it is the opposite.  Who else got us to the point of competing for these?  Gus Malzhan is connected to it all.  Ignore it, but it is true.   That is why you just don't have hissy fits because every year he does not do it like Saban.  There is only one Saban

Who cares about Saban? He's one game on our schedule and that old fart isn't going to be around more than another 3 years max. Gus Malzahn is also connected to 6-15 against our rivals and 5 losses every year. You remember losing to Tennessee last year right? 

13 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

The 30,000 ft view of the auburn program is great. No discipline issues, solid recruiting, nice guy, team fights hard, etc.  It's only when you watch the games or pay close attention do you see the real program. Stagnation, poor player development, poor player utilization, poor roster management, little evolution, inability to adapt or adjust, etc  Media and fan bases from outside if the conference take the 30,000 ft view. They are too involved with their program of choice to look closely. However, media, coaches, and fan bases within the conference know exactly what we are and what we will be with Gus at the helm. Our rival fan bases love that Gus is our coach.

If he is removed, nationally people will question and say we are just reacting to the bama effect. Regionally, however, everyone will know exactly why we are moving on.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Stagnation, poor player development, poor player utilization, poor roster management, little evolution, inability to adapt or adjust, etc

Absolutely

12 minutes ago, lost said:

We are though still competing with Gus Malzhan

We are competing for 3rd-5th in the West 72% of his tenure

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The 30,000 ft view of the auburn program is great. No discipline issues, solid recruiting, nice guy, team fights hard, etc.  It's only when you watch the games or pay close attention do you see the real program. Stagnation, poor player development, poor player utilization, poor roster management, little evolution, inability to adapt or adjust, etc  Media and fan bases from outside if the conference take the 30,000 ft view. They are too involved with their program of choice to look closely. However, media, coaches, and fan bases within the conference know exactly what we are and what we will be with Gus at the helm. Our rival fan bases love that Gus is our coach.

If he is removed, nationally people will question and say we are just reacting to the bama effect. Regionally, however, everyone will know exactly why we are moving on.

There's a lot of truth in that.

That's why I've called it purgatory for years now.  What do you do when it's obvious a change needs to be made and CGM needs to go?  But the team is ranked 15th with a high probability of beating our biggest rival in two weeks and on to a bowl win will land CGM with +9 wins in a season with a brutal schedule and a new QB?

19 minutes ago, lost said:

My point is and always has been.  To continue on we have to deal with where we are RIGHT NOW.  Mistakes were made before this day, November 20, 2019 that brings AU University in a position where we are dealing with past contracts and money, plus Gus's contract, plus being behind in the facilities war!  We are though still competing with Gus Malzhan, as my posts were showing.  So to me it is more sensible to deal with Gus and work with him a couple more years as long as we are still recruiting at a high level and still competing.   We can work on the facilities part and be planning our next move, instead of the immediate gratification whining of most

We aren’t competing we are losing majority of our games to our rivals. I don’t consider that competing . 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Interesting, some want him to leave, some want him gone today, some want him to stay because it is too expensive.........

Apparently nobody wants him to stay base on his performance.

I think there is also a very large crowd that likes Gus as a person, and really want to see him do well and succeed. I, admittedly, am in this category, but my support is running on low.

I hope Gus sticks around to go undefeated next season and win the CFP because I really like the guy, and think the program is in very good standing under him. Just not sure how much better it will get, and the elusive dream of dominance is what drives us towards wanting to part ways with Malzahn. Going to be hard to get a coach that competes against every team he plays on our schedule like Malzahn has done this season. It's certainly frustrating to see the team be so close to being elite and just not quite having what it takes to get over the hill. 

In a dream world, Malzahn sticks for one more year and goes undefeated and wins the SEC and a natty. My belief that he is capable of doing that, however, is dwindling.

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I think there is also a very large crowd that likes Gus as a person, and really want to see him do well and succeed. I, admittedly, am in this category, but my support is running on low.

I hope Gus sticks around to go undefeated next season and win the CFP because I really like the guy, and think the program is in very good standing under him. Just not sure how much better it will get, and the elusive dream of dominance is what drives us towards wanting to part ways with Malzahn. Going to be hard to get a coach that competes against every team he plays on our schedule like Malzahn has done this season. It's certainly frustrating to see the team be so close to being elite and just not quite having what it takes to get over the hill. 

In a dream world, Malzahn sticks for one more year and goes undefeated and wins the SEC and a natty. My belief that he is capable of doing that, however, is dwindling.

What do you consider competing ? You are the second person who has said that so I need to hear some definitions. Competing to me is what Miss state has done to us under Gus Malzahn . 

this is the absolute perfect song to describe gus.........

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

We aren’t competing we are losing majority of our games to our rivals. I don’t consider that competing . 

I DON'T understand your definition of competing.   We faced the hardest schedule in the nation with a freshman qb,.  We so far are the only team to really give LSU a complete game.  We could have, and maybe should be undefeated.  If that is not competitive tell me Sir what is?

I am not saying keep Gus....  I am saying stop the panic attacks.   Do it on our terms.   Too much is at stake

1 hour ago, lost said:

I DON'T understand your definition of competing.   We faced the hardest schedule in the nation with a freshman qb,.  We so far are the only team to really give LSU a complete game.  We could have, and maybe should be undefeated.  If that is not competitive tell me Sir what is?

Not going 2-5 against LSU, 2-4 against Bama  and 2-6 against UGA.

4-3 against Mississippi State (this is competing)

Oh, I got it , you thought I was one of those guys who look at 1 season to come up with an opinion.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It's almost like saying that things look great on the outside, but the tree rot is layers in and spreading out. 

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

5 out of 7 years we have finished between 3rd and 5th in the SECw.  Competing?

Easy definition for me.  When the calendar turns to November, do we have a legit shot a division title.

2013 - Yes

2014 - Actually yes.  We imploded in November.

2015 - LOL No

2016 - LOL No

2017 - Yes

2018 - No

2019 - No

So four of the last five years, largely with rosters he fully recruited, Gus has fallen short of that.

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

5 out of 7 years we have finished between 3rd and 5th in the SECw.  Competing?

There you go again Bird.  Answer this . Where have all the others finished?  Leave bama out of the equation.  Who else plays a 10 plus win Georgia every year? Les Miles averaged 10 wins a year, but Ogeron hasn't.  Mullen went 9-4 in 2010 and was 5th.   So NO-- GUS HAS NOT BEEN CONSISTENTLY at a high level , but about every other year he is in the race for the sec title--even with bama and lsu and ga being at the highest level they have been

1 hour ago, lost said:

I am not saying keep Gus....  I am saying stop the panic attacks.   Do it on our terms.   Too much is at stake

I think I am lost. I missed the panic. But I think where pseudo-panic is emerging is because wheels appear to be turning. 

All of a sudden, for both some status-quo supporters and some non, the possibilities of certain individuals even being mentioned for possible positions has unleashed an emotional...and small (POSSIBLY) logical frenzy (but only in a interpolational way). We're possibly moving from hypothetical to reality. That in itself is game changing. 

Friends. Romans. Countrymen/women. Shall we not just wait and see? Can we agree that we measure success differently, view risk at various levels of security, note patterns at different rates of speed, and choose details over big picture preferentially? And vv?

That's why there are 16 different Myers-Briggs personality prototypes. Imagine us all agreeing on a candidate. But if one can't take the drama that comes with shifting sands..."All Things Considered"...isn't it up to you to figure out how to deal with it?

Archived