Question for Democrats

Tigermike

On the whole in general, liberals and Democrats have completely lost faith in majority rule. Why is that?

On the whole in general, liberals and Democrats have completely lost faith in majority rule.  Why is that?

158895[/snapback]

In their totalitarian zeal, Republicans wish to trash the system of checks and balances established to reign in unfettered power. Why is that?

On the whole in general, liberals and Democrats have completely lost faith in majority rule.  Why is that?

158895[/snapback]

In their totalitarian zeal, Republicans wish to trash the system of checks and balances established to reign in unfettered power. Why is that?

158899[/snapback]

So other than to blame everything on Republicans, you have no real answer? Why does that not surprise me.

What the majority wants:

"As you may know, the filibuster is a Senate procedure which has been used to prevent the Senate from passing controversial legislation or confirming controversial appointments by the president, even if a majority of senators support that action. A vote of at least 60 senators out of 100 is needed to end a filibuster. Do you favor or oppose the use of the filibuster in the U.S. Senate?"

Favor Oppose Unsure

4/29 - 5/1/05      52%  40%    8%

What the Majority sees:

"Just your best guess, do you think the Republicans are or are not trying to abuse their majority power?"

Are  Are Not  Unsure

4/29 - 5/1/05              53%  42 %    5%

http://www.pollingreport.com/congress.htm#Misc

Speaking just for me, I haven't exactly "lost faith" in majority rule, as it applies to American government. If majorities in various states want to vote in the people they do, it's their privilege.

The thing is, American government has never been based entirely on "majority rule", nor was it the founders' intent that the government be run by the mob. See the Federalist Papers for info on how the Senate was intended to curb the excesses of the majority, as it is now doing.

What is the dems plan to attempt to fix the looming crisis in SS?

What is the dems plan to fight the WAR ON TERROR?

What is the dems. plan to lower gas prices or lessen dependance of foreign oil?

What is the dems. plan to control the flow of illegals in this country?

I know the answer for most of the dems...... we must stop and attack bush at every turn.

158925[/snapback]

What was that about hijacking the thread, Auburn? :rolleyes:

Speaking just for me, I haven't exactly "lost faith" in majority rule, as it applies to American government. If majorities in various states want to vote in the people they do, it's their privilege.

The thing is, American government has never been based entirely on "majority rule", nor was it the founders' intent that the government be run by the mob. See the Federalist Papers for info on how the Senate was intended to curb the excesses of the majority, as it is now doing.

158917[/snapback]

I'm not a Dem. But, what he said.

We never have, and hopefully never will have a 'majority rule' government. That paves the way to the majority stomping on the rights of the minority.

Looking back in history, what the majority thought was right then is often viewed as wrong now.

We have a republic, and not a pure democracy for that reason.

158925[/snapback]

What was that about hijacking the thread, Auburn? :rolleyes:

158948[/snapback]

The title of the thread is "qusetion to democrats" I decided to ask more than 1

Archived