Catch All Covid-19 Thread

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Not exactly a 9-5. Really freeform. Some jobs can't start until 5pm or later, for example, and some some weeks I may only pull 15 hours, while others I may pull 90. Plus, I'm on call 24-7. 

We take the good with the bad I suppose. Glad you like it. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/1/2020 at 9:12 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Go ahead and express your concerns and frustrations here. What are you doing during your quarantine? Drinking. Cooking up some delicious treats? Drinking. Are you essential? Drinking  

Lets leave the politics out of it. 

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Great thread!

On 4/1/2020 at 10:17 PM, AUDub said:

I'ma vent. 

Get up at 4 to go do a temporary DI install at EAMC to increase dialysis capacity during this pandemic. Get there around 7. Yeah! I'll be out of here in 4 hours and home by early afternoon. 

"Where's my supply?

Dude points at sink.

"Enough pressure?"

"60psi."

"Flow?"

Dude shrugs.

Well, I've had worse. Glad I brought a boost pump.

Get my tank banks, filter cart and divert cart set up. Dude asks me to do a disinfect of the new loop while I'm at it. OK, cool. Glad I brought Minncare too.

Get the disinfect started, let it dwell, start to rinse. I shocked the new loop I just built pretty hard, but this is taking way longer than it should. Finally rinses clear, now to wait for the resistance of the water to rise. 

Two hours later and I'm now pissed. Resistance isn't rising and I'm at a loss as to why. Figure it's the probe. Pull and clean. Numbers get better but still not where their supposed to be. Closest replacement is in my warehouse in Birmingham. ****. Resign myself to a s*** ton of driving.

Hit 280, and a stroke of luck. Tech from Fresenius in Lafayette calls me, 20 minutes up the road. They're done with my other temp DI setup they were using while renovating. "Do not leave. I am coming right now, you glorious a**hole."

Get there, break down my setup like greased lighting. 30 minutes and my literal and figurative ton of equipment is on my truck, including my known to work divert cart. Tear back to EAMC.

Door is locked. Call security. 

"You need to come to the front entrance to get screened again. No access on that door after 7. 

Dub is now pissed.

"This is an emergency install of a temporary dialysis water supply due to increased patient load, and I absolutely must get to my truck for parts and tools."

"Sorry, I can't grant you access."

Argh, but some kind soul observes my plight and opens the door for me. Success! 

Swap the divert cart, same problem. Head hits wall. 

Damn it. Proceed to disinfect again. Oh wait. Forget to prime the pump. Kill pump. Close valves. Open port. Face full of Minncare infused water.

Which smells like vinegar on steroids and burns like a ************.

Oh, and my eyes were open.

aaaaaaahhhhhh

Forgot to bleed pressure like a dumbass in a hurry.

Blink like holy hell to get that s*** out. Wash my face. Prime the pump, proceed with disinfect. 

Notice something while clearing the loop. The water is cloudy. It's not supposed to be cloudy. My pump is cavitating. Go look at pressure coming out of tap. My glorious static pressure of 60psi is now 0psi. There is no flow. Problem found. Dinky little sink can't meet demand. Call EAMC tech.

"I need a better supply."

"Don't have one."

"Welp, I did the best I could. Rinse the hell out of it and don't demand too much water from this system. Call me when you find another supply."

Driving back up 280 soaked, burning and stinking of sterilant. I need a beer. Bet I'll be going back tomorrow.

But damned if I dont love this job. 

You guys/gals are heroes. Thank you for your service!

One of the more frustrating things is that I can't take this truck through drive-thrus. 

Taco Bell's approach is good though. Order through the app, call to check-in and they'll bring it out to you. 

20 minutes ago, AUDub said:

One of the more frustrating things is that I can't take this truck through drive-thrus. 

Taco Bell's approach is good though. Order through the app, call to check-in and they'll bring it out to you. 

Been meaning to check in to see what they're doing at the Border. I've mostly done Chipotle and a Chinese drive thru in Savannah that is surprisingly good and unsurprisingly cheap. I try hard to bring my own lunch though.

Archived