One of America’s Greatest Songwriters, Dead at 73

RIP John Prine, singer, song writer

As a songwriter, Prine was admired by Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, and others, known for his ability to mine seemingly ordinary experiences  — he wrote many of his classics as a mailman in Maywood, Illinois — for revelatory songs that covered the full spectrum of the human experience. There’s “Hello in There,” about the devastating loneliness of an elderly couple; “Sam Stone,” a portrait of a drug-addicted Vietnam soldier suffering from PTSD; and “Paradise,” an ode to his parents’ strip-mined hometown of Paradise, Kentucky, which became an environmental anthem. Prine tackled these subjects with empathy and humor, with an eye for “the in-between spaces,” the moments people don’t talk about, he told Rolling Stone in 2017.  “Prine’s stuff is pure Proustian existentialism,” Dylan said in 2009. “Midwestern mind-trips to the nth degree.”

Rolling Stone

"A freakin' legend"  (as his son said about him)

Inside the Life of John Prine, the Mark Twain of American Songwriting

How a veteran artist took the folk scene by storm, wowed his hero Bob Dylan and beat cancer – all while inspiring today’s country stars.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/inside-the-life-of-john-prine-the-mark-twain-of-american-songwriting?utm_source=pocket-newtab

My favorite Prine Album - and I have 'em all - is "Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings". 

It's my constant 'pool-side music' every summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived