Please say it ain't so.

homersapien

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

if you give me a yes i will applaud your honesty. the words had the same intention using differing vocabulary styles. and homes grumps attacked you in a different thrad you dram queen.........lol

Yes one could use bleach as a slang term for disinfectant.

Now here is a question for you:

Should the media be using slang and saying bleach in their reporting when if you look at the totality of what he was saying he was referring to UV as a form of disinfectant process? Yes or no?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Should the media be using slang and saying bleach in their reporting when if you look at the totality of what he was saying he was referring to UV as a form of disinfectant process? Yes or no?

i probably would. that is a fair question. some would not. ask brad who was a journalist before he became what ever he is now. i have no idea. but thank you for your honesty. that goes a long way with me. hell come to bama and we will smoke one and laugh about it...........

9 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I'll answer: 

The media should have said "disinfectant" instead of "bleach".  "Disinfectant" is the exact word Trump used.

And it would have conveyed the exact same information, while keeping you from going crazy. ;D

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'll answer: 

The media should have said "disinfectant" instead of "bleach".  And "disinfectant" is the exact word Trump used.

And it would have conveyed the exact same information while keeping you from going crazy. ;D

he admits trump is basically an idiot when it comes to his mouth so i am good with him. we got two or three righties that will admit that now? salty. sometimes grumps. even 78. and he never got terribly rude. i think he is ok. hell we all will fight for ourselves. hell i like tejas folks except for the one cat i cannot understand what he is saying. he thinks i am being mean but i swear he loses me.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i probably would. that is a fair question. some would not. ask brad who was a journalist before he became what ever he is now. i have no idea. but thank you for your honesty. that goes a long way with me. hell come to bama and we will smoke one and laugh about it...........

Out of all this mess that is the one thing that I was trying to point out is the media (in my opinion) should not be using the word bleach. I see it as false and misleading and for the uniformed could make this worse. I also happen to think of disinfectants in a variety of terms. That is where they should have clarified it with him (they tried to  the following day and he went into some explanation of it being sarcasm and I was like WTF.) That was his chance to set it straight. 

That's why I say report it as it is (without slang). That's enough to make him look bad as it is. LOL 

I could use a smoke right now!!! All this s*** (Covid-19) has my anxiety all messed up. 

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'll answer: 

The media should have said "disinfectant" instead of "bleach".  "Disinfectant" is the exact word Trump used.

And it would have conveyed the exact same information, while keeping you from going crazy. ;D

Exactly!!! LOL 

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

he admits trump is basically an idiot when it comes to his mouth so i am good with him. we got two or three righties that will admit that now? salty. sometimes grumps. even 78. and he never got terribly rude. i think he is ok. hell we all will fight for ourselves. hell i like tejas folks except for the one cat i cannot understand what he is saying. he thinks i am being mean but i swear he loses me.

Who's the one you can't understand? I think I know who you are talking about, but it has been a while since I had been around on here. Partly because two days after Christmas I had a widow-maker heart attack aka 100% of the LAD artery (I'm only 40 and not over-weight and don't smoke, etc.) But family genes almost got me. 

I'm still recovering. UGH!! LOL 

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Should have said "UV disinfectant". 

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Righties? Come on man, I voted Obama and not Trump, now I'm a righty? No, I just hate media and their puppets spewing lies. Nothing more. 

5 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Who's the one you can't understand? I think I know who you are talking about, but it has been a while since I had been around on here. Partly because two days after Christmas I had a widow-maker heart attack aka 100% of the LAD artery (I'm only 40 and not over-weight and don't smoke, etc.) But family genes almost got me. 

Best wishes brother.

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Righties? Come on man, I voted Obama and not Trump, now I'm a righty? No, I just hate media and their puppets spewing lies. Nothing more. 

Exactly!! It’s near impossible to decipher what is real and what is spin. Hey, gotta get those ratings!! lol 

No, he shouldn't have said "UV disinfectant", because that's not what he meant. When given the opportunity to clarify, dude said he was being sarcastic. Which is not only a lie, but a really bad one. He could have said that he meant something remotely intelligent, but he didn't. That you people are still trying to make up other excuses and explanations is beyond comprehension. 

Your issue isn't with the media. Quit pretending to be on that white horse and quit shooting the messenger. If you're tired of them reporting dumbass, dangerous comments, then take it up with the person who keeps making dumbass, dangerous comments.

19 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Take care of yourself dude. You have been working too hard the last few days.

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

wdefromtx has masterfully schooled you on "why?" No need to rehash Brother Homer.

Are you serious?  Really?  Have you read the thread?

Bryan used the word "injection" in his presentation on disinfecting surfaces, so Trump was justified in using it for "disinfectants and UV light.

I have never seen someone as confused about the essential facts on a given issue as wdefromtx is on this one, regardless of his opinion of Trump.

You're smarter than that Salty.  At least I thought so.  Are you confused also?

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

Take care of yourself dude. You have been working too hard the last few days.

I don’t let stuff like this get me too worked up even though I may go back and forth with folks. It’s a good distraction from other things. Honestly I’m more worried about the fact that oil is so cheap right now. I’m in oil and gas and lots of companies have already let a bunch go. I’m happy I still have a job and I’m getting to work from home at the moment. I just don’t want to get that call where they ask me to come by the office and bring the company laptop. Lol As long as they don’t do that I’m good for now!! 

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Are you serious?  Really?  Have you read the thread?

Bryan used the word "injection" in his presentation on disinfecting surfaces, so Trump was justified in using it for "disinfectants and UV light.

I have never seen someone as confused about the essential facts on a given issue as wdefromtx is on this one, regardless of his opinion of Trump.

You're smarter than that Salty.  At least I thought so.  Are you confused also?

You bob and weave like a politician or a lawyer....lmao. Regardless, for the record it’s a lot harder to explain things via text like this. I’m not confused about anything, it’s A lot harder to convey purpose via message board. 

You did say they should not have said bleach and that’s what is important. Because that’s my point. I conceded that they shouldn’t have said UV disinfectant on the basis that they shouldn’t have said bleach as well. Otherwise in each situation they were making an assumption, but I still stand that the logical assumption when you look at everything he said (or technically meaning to say) was UV disinfectant and not bleach. 

But he chose to blame it on sarcasm because he still looked dumb. I think he saw smart people talking about stuff and got excited and tried to sound smart too. LOL 

20 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I guess you should say the uproar from the people that don't like him. What I am talking about is when media outlets started mentioning bleach in their stories when he never said it. You keep trying to go off topic from that fact. 

That is not the crux of the story.  It's a meaningless detail.

One more time:

He SAID "disinfectant" - I will grant you he didn't say Lysol, he didn't say Clorox (bleach) and he didn't specifically mention any other of the various chemicals than can be used as chemical disinfectants .  He said disinfectant and UV light, which is not a chemical disinfectant so doesn't play a role in this discussion.  (Although you never responded to my hypothetical question of how one would inject UV light, which you apparently think both Bryan and Trump suggested.)

ANY "disinfectant" would have similar deleterious effects if injected.  Every single one of them. 

This is why implying he said "bleach" - or any other specific disinfectant - essentially inconsequential, since he did say "disinfectant"

Now if you really want to quibble, then quibble about the fact that some of these reports presumably implied Trump also mentioned taking the disinfectant enterally (drinking it), which he did not do

Many of his defenders are guilty of perpetuating this technical error - including you - by talking about people drinking bleach  - or at least not acknowledging the difference between drinking it and injecting it. Implying  enteral (drinking) disinfectant was part of Trump's statement is wrong.  He said nothing about that, yet the "drinking bleach" notion has been used by you and others in discussing this.

But just as with injecting it, ingesting a disinfectant - any of them - is harmful.  Maybe not quite as harmful as injecting it, but harmful nonetheless. (This is why manufactures warn against it on the label.)

IMO, implying Trump mentioned enteral usage is a more important error than substituting the word bleach for disinfectant. 

I doubt this will help since you have yet to acknowledge the gross error you made by thinking Bryan was using the word "injection" in the same way Trump did. 

31 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

You bob and weave like a politician or a lawyer....lmao. Regardless, for the record it’s a lot harder to explain things via text like this. I’m not confused about anything, it’s A lot harder to convey purpose via message board. 

I am not "bobbing and weaving like a lawyer".  In fact, just the opposite. My discussion of this has been rather lawyerly.  I am focusing on the words stated and their precise meaning in the context they were used.

You on the other hand, are focused on the media's use of the word "bleach".  I agree they should have reported disinfectant instead of the more specific bleach, but have also gone to great length to explain why it not of much consequence.

And I disagree about writing being better a lot harder to explain things.  In fact, it's just the opposite.  (This is just one reason the law values documents over testimony.) Granted I have a lot of career experience in both technical writing and contract writing. I appreciate the value of getting it precisely correct in both cases. 

And just in case you misunderstand my point, good writing does not go naturally result from intelligence or talent.  One can be smart as hell - way smarter than I am - and still be lousy writer.  It must be learned and it takes work. 

Until you can respond specifically and logically to the points I have made, I can only assume  you are confused.  To me, a lack of response presumes you didn't understand my point, either technically or rhetorically (i.e.: confusion).

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

One more time:

He SAID "disinfectant" - I will grant you he didn't say Lysol, he didn't say Clorox (bleach) and he didn't specifically mention any other of the various chemicals than can be used as chemical disinfectants .  He said disinfectant and UV light, which is not a chemical disinfectant so doesn't play a role in this discussion.  (Although you never responded to my hypothetical question of how one would inject UV light, which you apparently think both Bryan and Trump suggested.)

ANY "disinfectant" would have similar deleterious effects if injected.  Every single one of them. 

This is why implying he said "bleach" - or any other specific disinfectant - essentially inconsequential, since he did say "disinfectant"

Now if you really want to quibble, then quibble about the fact that some of these reports presumably implied Trump also mentioned taking the disinfectant enterally (drinking it), which he did not do

Many of his defenders are guilty of perpetuating this technical error - including you - by talking about people drinking bleach  - or at least not acknowledging the difference between drinking it and injecting it. Implying  enteral (drinking) disinfectant was part of Trump's statement is wrong.  He said nothing about that, yet the "drinking bleach" notion has been used by you and others in discussing this.

But just as with injecting it, ingesting a disinfectant - any of them - is harmful.  Maybe not quite as harmful as injecting it, but harmful nonetheless. (This is why manufactures warn against it on the label.)

IMO, implying Trump mentioned enteral usage is a more important error than substituting the word bleach for disinfectant. 

I doubt this will help since you have yet to acknowledge the gross error you made by thinking Bryan was using the word "injection" in the same way Trump did. 

Really?

From Merriam-Webster.com: 

Definition of disinfectant

: an agent that frees from infection

Definition of antibiotic

: a substance able to inhibit or kill microorganisms

According to Merriam-Webster that means that Penicillin, an agent that frees from infection, and is frequently injected into a person's veins, is a disinfectant. Penicillin is also an antibiotic, don't you agree?

It was still not very smart of Trump to ask the physicians to look into using disinfectants to kill the virus, but if you are going to be nit-picking then go full-bore picky, right?

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

One more time:

That is false, it not being a chemical is irrelevant. 

And to the injection usage, I was trying to point out that trump was trying to use it in the same way. But what I am trying to say is easier to say in person. But all of that is irrelevant to the fact that he wasn't talking about a chemical. And if you go back Ironman70 supplied you with several links and information of how one can "inject" or insert UV light into the body. Via tube or via laparoscopic insertion somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I am not "bobbing and weaving like a lawyer".  In fact, just the opposite. My discussion of this has been rather lawyerly.  I am focusing on the words stated and their precise meaning in the context they were used.

You on the other hand, are focused on the media's use of the word "bleach".  I agree they should have reported disinfectant instead of the more specific bleach, but have also gone to great length to explain why it not of much consequence.

And I disagree about writing being better a lot harder to explain things.  In fact, it's just the opposite.  (This is just one reason the law values documents over testimony.) Granted I have a lot of career experience in both technical writing and contract writing. I appreciate the value of getting it precisely correct in both cases. 

And just in case you misunderstand my point, good writing does not go naturally result from intelligence or talent.  One can be smart as hell - way smarter than I am - and still be lousy writer.  It must be learned and it takes work. 

Until you can respond specifically and logically to the points I have made, I can only assume  you are confused.  To me, a lack of response presumes you didn't understand my point, either technically or rhetorically (i.e.: confusion).

My whole point is they shouldn't have said bleach. I don't care if you don't think it is important, in my opinion it is an important......false reporting. That is why I go to that word. What is so hard for you to understand? The guy was trying to talk about UV light as a disinfectant and may outlets reported he was trying to talk about bleach......which you seem to think isn't important. 

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

My whole point is they shouldn't have said bleach. I don't care if you don't think it is important, in my opinion it is an important......false reporting. That is why I go to that word. What is so hard for you to understand? The guy was trying to talk about UV light as a disinfectant and may outlets reported he was trying to talk about bleach......which you seem to think isn't important. 

It seems so simple doesn't it? Trump said something seemingly stupid to the physicians at the briefing. The media then drastically embellished what Trump said. Trump should quit saying stupid stuff and the media should quit making stuff up. There!

Archived