Death Threats on the airwaves

Piglet

From the May 17 broadcast of The Glenn Beck Program:

Glenn Beck:

Hang on, let me just tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, "Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore," and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, "Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death." And you know, well, I'm not sure.

Granted, it's kinda fun to imagine doing something slow and painful to a guy like Michael Moore. But I bet if Moore or Al Franken or someone went saying the same thing about President Bush or Bill O'Reilly or someone conservative like that on the air, people would be singin' a different tune. Since when is it even legal, much less acceptable manners, to go threatening the life of people whose opinions you don't like, on the air?

I don't even know who Glenn Beck is

I've heard of Michael Savage, but haven't listened to him

I know Rush Limbaugh, but don't like him.

What's Glen Beck's ratings? Is he a national syndicated talk show host?

It was obviously a joke...

but since someone WROTE AND PUBLISHED a book on how to kill our current president, id say you really dont have a leg to stand on.

since i saw TSHIRTS advocating the death of our president, id say you REALLY dont have a leg to stand on.

From the May 17 broadcast of The Glenn Beck Program:

Glenn Beck: 

Hang on, let me just tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, "Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore," and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, "Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death." And you know, well, I'm not sure.

Granted, it's kinda fun to imagine doing something slow and painful to a guy like Michael Moore. But I bet if Moore or Al Franken or someone went saying the same thing about President Bush or Bill O'Reilly or someone conservative like that on the air, people would be singin' a different tune. Since when is it even legal, much less acceptable manners, to go threatening the life of people whose opinions you don't like, on the air?

160356[/snapback]

I listen to the Glenn Beck Program and I heard this show.

He was talking about Dave Chappell and his $50M contract and he asked, "What would you do for $50M?"

He was serious at first and said, "Nothing that wouldn't build my family up." Then he went on to talk about an assortment of things and asked those on the show and callers what they would do.

Then, humor kicked in and the Michael Moore comments started up. The remarks were with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

He ended the segment with (chuckling) "This is really wrong, man."

This outrage comes from a Soros funded source that has never (to my knowledge) had an issue with anything discussed on "Air America."

If ever there was something taken out of context, or in this case "presented out of context," this would be it.

I would give you a link to the audio archive, but it is a three hour show and I don't know where in the broadcast it is. If someone would like to hear it though, I will be more than happy to assist you.

I don't even know who Glenn Beck is

I've heard of Michael Savage, but haven't listened to him

I know Rush Limbaugh, but don't like him.

What's Glen Beck's ratings? Is he a national syndicated talk show host?

160357[/snapback]

Glenn Beck is sydicated out of Philly. About 6 million listeners and 160 stations across the country. He can be found at Ch. 166 on XM. He is a conservative, rails on Dems, but is not afraid to call call out Republicans. He is not as rabid as Laura Ingraham or Rush.

He has really gotten away from most of the politics recently. He hasn't totally abandoned it, just gotten away from all the garbage.

He has a book out (2003) "The Real America, Messages from the Heart and Heartland" that I really liked.

Barnes and Noble has a synopsis here (LINK) along with critics opinions.

If you try out his show, give it a week or so. Most people hate him at first. But once you catch on to his sense of humor and his style, most tend to really like him. Not everyone...but I think most do. The extremes of both sides of the political spectrum will not like him. Most Dems won't.

It was obviously a joke...

but since someone WROTE AND PUBLISHED a book on how to kill our current president, id say you really dont have a leg to stand on.

since i saw TSHIRTS advocating the death of our president, id say you REALLY dont have a leg to stand on.

160362[/snapback]

No, I'd say the people writing books, printing T-Shirts and threatening peoples' lives on the radio are the ones without a leg to stand on. They ALL need a trip to the woodshed, every last one of them.

Maybe you thought I was suggesting this threat business was just a conservative Republican thing. I was not. This stuff crosses the line no matter who does it, and I've said so on other threads about bonehead "kill Bush" students.

I'm not one of those people who thinks wrong is only wrong when the political party I vote against does it.

Glenn Beck's show was dropped here in ATL just over a month ago. From what I've heard of his show, that's pretty unusual for him. Hearing it, I bet it wasn't all that hate filled or anything, just some odd tangent he was on.

Piglet, I see what youre saying...but given the context of the show, and the fact that it was Glenn Beck, I know it was taken out of context. He's a pretty stand up guy...but if you dont give context to a lot of the stuff he says, you can make him look worse than hitler.

Archived