Man Climbs Crane to Escape Murder Charges

aufan175

ATLANTA — A man wanted in Florida in the death of his ex-girlfriend climbed an 18-story crane Wednesday at a construction site and remained perched there Thursday afternoon as authorities tried to talk him down.

The man got onto the crane around 5 p.m. Wednesday and indicated he was contemplating suicide, Atlanta police spokesman Sgt. John Quigley.

The man was identified as Carl Edward Roland, 41, who is wanted by the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's department in the slaying of his former girlfriend. The badly beaten body of Jennifer L. Gonzalez, 36, was found Tuesday in a pond behind the apartment complex where she lived.

Florida detectives believe she died of upper body trauma but would not disclose how the woman was killed or if a weapon was found at the scene, said Mac McMullen, spokesman for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Officer.

"We will be sending detectives up shortly and will be waiting for the resolution of the incident in Atlanta," McMullen said.

The intersection where the construction site is located remained closed, snarling traffic in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood.

Quigley wasn't sure how the man got onto the crane, saying it was possible the construction crew had left for the day.

Police on Thursday were hoping to find one of Roland's relatives, who is believed to live in the Atlanta area, to assist in their effort to talk the man down. Roland is talking to negotiators but has refused food and water, Pennington said.

As a native of Atlanta, I wish someone would find out why this city seems to be so jinxed. From Ray Lewis, mass murderers, runaway brides and now this. Why the hell did this nut case chose ATLANTA to find a giant crane to climb up on? Why not Tampa ? Birmingham? Hell, why not Flagstaff, AZ??? What IS IT about this city?

:blink:

As a native of Atlanta, I wish someone would find out why this city seems to be so jinxed. From Ray Lewis, mass murderers, runaway brides and now this. Why the hell did this nut case chose ATLANTA to find a giant crane to climb up on? Why not Tampa ? Birmingham? Hell, why not Flagstaff, AZ??? What IS IT about this city?

161218[/snapback]

Atlanta's growing faster. No doubt it's mostly people moving there from up north who cause the trouble.

Bet a police sniper, or maybe one of the dead girl's relatives, could get him down.

Reminds me of when I lived up there and this huge building under renovation caught fire and a guy was stranded on a crane above the inferno. Had to crawl out on his load to survive. Rescued by a helicopter. Spine tingling stuff.

I feel for you AURAPTOR,. I don't think that I'd want to live there. Atlanta is a dangerous place with a even softer judicial system.

Hint the DA of Atlanta.

Those cranes aren't cheap to operate. First thing in the morning, get the operator to fire up the crane and lower the boom. If the suspect doesn't jump, then you have him close enough to the ground to capture him safely. If he jumps while the boom is lowering ... .... Oh well, at least they didn't have to pay the operator overtime. :D

Some 40 hrs, and this guy is still up there. I don't know what is more amazing.....this guy's determination or the police dept's incompetence in not getting this resolved. A construction site is closed down for a 2nd day, and businesses are taking a bath because Peachtree St is closed down for an entire block in either direction.

Some 40 hrs, and this guy is still up there. I don't know what is more amazing.....this guy's determination or the police dept's incompetence in not getting this resolved. A construction site is closed down for a 2nd day, and businesses are taking a bath because Peachtree St is closed down for an entire block in either direction.

161287[/snapback]

If this clown is still up there by the end of the day, the A.P.D. is going to have HELL to pay.

161287[/snapback]

If this clown is still up there by the end of the day, the A.P.D. is going to have HELL to pay.

161332[/snapback]

well, they bette punish him for his crimes and make him pay for the overtime of the officers

I drove by the crane at around 7pm. Didn't see anyone up there, but the road was till blocked off and small groups of folks were camped out and just looking up. One guy was taking photos w/ a fair sized lens on a tripod.

2 days of missed work for an entire construction site, and dozens of businesses taking a beating because no one has the guts to deal w/ 1 a-hole who murdered his ex in Florida ?

And we're suppose to feel SORRY for him?

I wanna get off this ride.

4_23_052605_crane_atlanta2.jpg

Didn't know it was a tower crane (no lowering of the boom.) He's got to sleep sometime. Maybe they can taser his a$$ when he lies down on the platform?

no race card yet ? well at least not so far

161433[/snapback]

??? None to play. He's a suspected murderer running from the law -- and doing absolutley nothing to dissuade the police from considering him the prime suspect.

As a native of Atlanta, I wish someone would find out why this city seems to be so jinxed. From Ray Lewis, mass murderers, runaway brides and now this.

161218[/snapback]

And what about AU Raptor? :big:

Says who?

Say a few pin heads here around town when ever anyone suggests a sniper end this bullsh*t once and for all. It's clear this guy WANTS to committ suicide by cop, because he's too chickensh*t to take a gainer off that crane and do us all a favor.

161218[/snapback]

Atlanta, the LA or San Fransisco of the South.... :big:

So it finally ended. 56 hrs and all this guy was able to accomplish is block a major street, shut down a construction site for over 2 days and who knows how bany bars, restauraunts, etc were affected by this scumbag.

So, what genius plan was devised by the Atlanta Police in order to bring this whole thing to an end ?

"Apparently, he was thirsty," a police officer told AP news agency.

:huh:

Yep, your tax $$ at work. Never mind the fact that the fugitive had refused offers ( by the Atlanta Police! ) of food/ water during this ordeal.

UnfrigginBelievable.

ATLANTA — A 56-hour standoff with a homicide suspect perched on a construction crane ended peacefully early Saturday when police shocked him with a stun gun as he reached for a cup of water, authorities said.

"Apparently, he was thirsty," police spokesman Sgt. John Quigley said.

Carl Edward Roland, 41, got onto the 18-story crane around 5 p.m. Wednesday and told police he was thinking of killing himself by jumping, authorities said.

The standoff unfolded above Atlanta's busy Buckhead neighborhood, an area filled with clubs and restaurants. Lunch and dinner crowds, taking advantage of summer-like weather, have packed restaurant patios with clear views of the standoff.

Roland was wanted by the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's department in the death of ex-girlfriend Jennifer L. Gonzalez, 36, whose body was found Tuesday. An arrest warrant affidavit accuses Roland of strangling Gonzalez and dumping her body in a pond behind the apartment complex where she lived.

Two days earlier, Roland told acquaintances he believed Gonzalez was cheating on him and asked them if they could get him a firearm so he could kill her, according to the affidavit.

During the standoff negotiations, Roland accepted a jacket from police, which he used to beat back the chill at night and the sun during the day, but he refused offers of food and water.

But early Saturday, Roland stepped toward an officer to get some water, and the officer used a Taser on him, said Alan Dreher, Atlanta's assistant police chief.

Roland showed mixed emotions during the negotiations, Dreher said.

"At times he was calm. At times he was cordial. At times he was irate. At times he was argumentative. It just depended on the situation," he said.

Roland was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital and police expected to charge him with crimes in Atlanta and Florida. Hospital officials said he was in good condition.

Since March, the Clearwater, Fla., man had quit his job as a software salesman and filed for bankruptcy. Roland said he owed $10,500 in federal taxes and more than $13,000 on credit cards, court records show.

A lot of people on the Dawgvent were laughing about how a few could see the guy from where they worked

161600[/snapback]

I was unaware that the carwash employed so many folks!

A lot of people on the Dawgvent were laughing about how a few could see the guy from where they worked

161600[/snapback]

I was unaware that the carwash employed so many folks!

161619[/snapback]

Come on...is that really the best you could come up with?

Come on...is that really the best you could come up with?

It's been a rough weekend. Cut me some slack.

Archived