So why have we not written a check yet??

twilli13

Alabama: Jimmy Rane

• Est. net worth: $900 million

• Resides: Abbeville

Lumber magnate Jimmy Rane, who advertises his company Great Southern Wood Preserving by posing as his alter ego Yella Fella, is Alabama's wealthiest person. Rane, whose net worth is estimated at $900 million, continues to live in his small hometown of Abbeville and has made it his personal mission to revitalize the town.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to love these post asking rich people to spend their money.   You don't get to be worth close to a billion dollars by frivolously spending your money.   I want Gus gone as much as the next guy, but that buyout is very large and we are stuck.  Yeah, it's only 21 million to the guy worth 900 million, but there are other factors to consider.   We hit him up for that amount for the buyout, and that's a well we won't be able to go to for a good bit.   Then you have to add on the fact there are other money cost associated with the firing of the coach.   What kind of severance packages to all the other coaches have in place.  What kind of signing bonuses will there need to be for hiring a brand new staff?  I don't even know if those are things, but I can be sure that the cost of firing a head coach is more than his buyout alone.

Everyone likes to talk a big game about spending other people money.   If we really want him gone, we need to figure out a iron clad way of true fan donation.   Like go fund me but better.   

20 minutes ago, shuebru said:

You have to love these post asking rich people to spend their money.   You don't get to be worth close to a billion dollars by frivolously spending your money.   I want Gus gone as much as the next guy, but that buyout is very large and we are stuck.  Yeah, it's only 21 million to the guy worth 900 million, but there are other factors to consider.   We hit him up for that amount for the buyout, and that's a well we won't be able to go to for a good bit.   Then you have to add on the fact there are other money cost associated with the firing of the coach.   What kind of severance packages to all the other coaches have in place.  What kind of signing bonuses will there need to be for hiring a brand new staff?  I don't even know if those are things, but I can be sure that the cost of firing a head coach is more than his buyout alone.

Everyone likes to talk a big game about spending other people money.   If we really want him gone, we need to figure out a iron clad way of true fan donation.   Like go fund me but better.   

IMO it'll cost Auburn around $30MM to buyout this staff + a few million to buyout a new HC + more $$ to buy his staff.  At the end of the day, it could be upwards of $45Mm to change out the regime.  

People (insiders) on this board have consistently told us that the money is there to can his crew and bring in a new staff.  That money is not an issue and it's taken care of.  So why should we doubt those people now when the time is upon AU to make the move? 

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

IMO it'll cost Auburn around $30MM to buyout this staff + a few million to buyout a new HC + more $$ to buy his staff.  At the end of the day, it could be upwards of $45Mm to change out the regime.  

People (insiders) on this board have consistently told us that the money is there to can his crew and bring in a new staff.  That money is not an issue and it's taken care of.  So why should we doubt those people now when the time is upon AU to make the move? 

If the money really is there, I'm all for it.   If there are people who are already down to pay for a coaching change.   My post was more along the line of avoiding something like the following:   "Hey rich Auburn fan, you have money, please buyout Malzahn"   If Rich Auburn fan wants to of their own accord, I'm all for it.  

1 hour ago, shuebru said:

I would put $1500 in the pot today

Couple of things...

You need a replacement ready to go and you have to work out the details of the buyout.  He’s owed a lot more now than he is in December.  Of course, Gus may want to resign now, take a reduced buyout, and avoid the stain of a 2-8 record.

I don’t believe the money isn’t the issue. If he wasn’t, why not make the change last year. Or after the Birmingham bowl year. If it isn’t the money, then it’s got to be, they can’t get anyone else to come in that they are confident will do better. 

Well first of all Net Worth has nothing to do with liquid assets. That $900M could all be in stocks for all we know (Yes, it's actually much more complicated than that). Would Mr. Yella Fella want to sell off a portion of his stock holdings just to pitch into Gus' buyout? He'd probably rather hang onto those investments and you really couldn't blame the guy.

But ultimately if I'm reading between the lines from what JBoy reported... The athletics admin (because of the buyout and the economic situations) is being patient, probably more patient than would call for under normal circumstances. But Gus has been put on notice and a line has been drawn.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Couple of things...

You need a replacement ready to go and you have to work out the details of the buyout.  He’s owed a lot more now than he is in December.  Of course, Gus may want to resign now, take a reduced buyout, and avoid the stain of a 2-8 record.

To anyone with a working football brain he already has a stain. The guy is an mid major, AAC, or bottom tier ACC/Big 12 caliber coach. 

Tennessee has fired their D-line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh per al.com so if folks were wondering whether or not college coaches are safe this year i guess that answers the question sad thing is Jacob would probably have Brumbaugh lined up as Gus replacement if he were still here

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Well first of all Net Worth has nothing to do with liquid assets. That $900M could all be in stocks for all we know (Yes, it's actually much more complicated than that). Would Mr. Yella Fella want to sell off a portion of his stock holdings just to pitch into Gus' buyout? He'd probably rather hang onto those investments and you really couldn't blame the guy.

But ultimately if I'm reading between the lines from what JBoy reported... The athletics admin (because of the buyout and the economic situations) is being patient, probably more patient than would call for under normal circumstances. But Gus has been put on notice and a line has been drawn.

When was he put on notice, the end of the horrible '15/'16 seasons or the '18 season or yesterday after the usc loss?

I'm just curious to know at what point the Administration chose to draw the line? What was the straw that broke the Tiger's back and caused them to make a move?

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Well first of all Net Worth has nothing to do with liquid assets. That $900M could all be in stocks for all we know (Yes, it's actually much more complicated than that).

Bingo.  A lot of his assets are no longer in his estate for estate tax purposes.  Can't get into much more detail than that.

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Alabama: Jimmy Rane

• Est. net worth: $900 million

• Resides: Abbeville

Lumber magnate Jimmy Rane, who advertises his company Great Southern Wood Preserving by posing as his alter ego Yella Fella, is Alabama's wealthiest person. Rane, whose net worth is estimated at $900 million, continues to live in his small hometown of Abbeville and has made it his personal mission to revitalize the town.

Have you donated to Auburn before?  Not tuition for you or your children, but a 501(c)(3) donation to the school?  Donations required to obtain season tickets no longer count either.  If not, why are you upset with others for not donating the way you want them to?  It is a little unfair to criticize and specifically call out people for not using their own money the way they see fit.  These questions can be rhetorical if you wish to not reply to respect your privacy.

The money is there, but at this point I'd bet we wait until December to pull the plug. The ash kicking that Alabama will give us is going to get the majority of the general fanbase on board, plus will save us a few bucks. 

I want him gone yesterday, but if this season is lost already, we will probably let it roll until after the a&m game. 

Just to make people aware, the money was there.  If it is still there to absorb to buyout after the election remains to be seen.  A lot is in a holding pattern.  The results on the election will have an impact across the country as far as big boosters for all universities are concerned.

3 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

The money is there, but at this point I'd bet we wait until December to pull the plug. The ash kicking that Alabama will give us is going to get the majority of the general fanbase on board, plus will save us a few bucks. 

I want him gone yesterday, but if this season is lost already, we will probably let it roll until after the a&m game. 

image.gif

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t believe the money isn’t the issue. If he wasn’t, why not make the change last year. Or after the Birmingham bowl year. If it isn’t the money, then it’s got to be, they can’t get anyone else to come in that they are confident will do better. 

It's not in Auburn's DNA to fire a football coach after they've won an Iron Bowl. That's like a Get Out of Jail free card. 

After the '17 collapse after beating UGA and UAT and then them playing each other for the NC while we watched as enough for most of us to say bye. Gus always can find a rabbit to pull out of his hat (or somewhere else) but has ridiculous losses sprinkled in that erase any goodwill he ever generates. 

Perhaps we should start a go fund me account in our AD's name for the sole purpose of funding the buy out.  Or, better yet, maybe all of us that are so disappointed and embarrassed by our football product should send a dollar bill to the AD as our "vote" to remove Gus -- now.  Allen Greene, Auburn Athletic's Department, Auburn Athletics Complex, 392 S Donahue Drive, Auburn, AL 36849.

7 minutes ago, Birdfan said:

Perhaps we should start a go fund me account in our AD's name for the sole purpose of funding the buy out.  Or, better yet, maybe all of us that are so disappointed and embarrassed by our football product should send a dollar bill to the AD as our "vote" to remove Gus -- now.  Allen Greene, Auburn Athletic's Department, Auburn Athletics Complex, 392 S Donahue Drive, Auburn, AL 36849.

I have to ask why did you choose the name birdfan? If its what I think...........we may have to talk

2 hours ago, shuebru said:

I get what you're saying....I do....and I agree to an extent,  but folks like Rane are exactly why we've been in the messes with coaches before. I'd venture to guess they should share the majority of the fault with how folks with money strive for power and influence within institutions like Auburn. They get no sympathy from me.

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I get what you're saying....I do....and I agree to an extent,  but folks like Rane are exactly why we've been in the messes with coaches before. I'd venture to guess they should share the majority of the fault with how folks with money strive for power and influence within institutions like Auburn. They get no sympathy from me.

This is from personal experience not only at Auburn but at other schools where clients of mine are donors.  The biggest donors and wealthiest clients of mine are the ones who do not want power or even to be recognized.  One example is I have a client in the oil industry.  You know what kind of car he drives?  A 2004 Suburban.  He doesn't want people to know who he is.  A lot of my clients donate to Auburn through trusts or donor advised funds so people never ever know their names.  It is the smaller donors who want to feel like they are the biggest donors and want power.  Of course there are exceptions.

It is the same thing on this forum which is a little funny.  Those that have never donated $1 to Auburn are most likely the biggest critics of our donors, who give up their wealth to their school that they love so much.  It just irks me a little and a sore spot.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

This is from personal experience not only at Auburn but at other schools where clients of mine are donors.  The biggest donors and wealthiest clients of mine are the ones who do not want power or even to be recognized.  One example is I have a client in the oil industry.  You know what kind of car he drives?  A 2004 Suburban.  He doesn't want people to know who he is.  A lot of my clients donate to Auburn through trusts or donor advised funds so people never ever know their names.  It is the smaller donors who want to feel like they are the biggest donors and want power.  Of course there are exceptions.

It is the same thing on this forum which is a little funny.  Those that have never donated $1 to Auburn are most likely the biggest critics of our donors, who give up their wealth to their school that they love so much.  It just irks me a little and a sore spot.

Dude...I'm not talking about the average inconspicuous donor. I'm talking specifically about people like RANE, LOWDER, HARBERT etc. I'm sure there are some I'm missing. And please don't try to pretend you know people's motives and intentions because you manage some financial accounts of SOME donors. 

11 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Dude...I'm not talking about the average inconspicuous donor. I'm talking specifically about people like RANE, LOWDER, HARBERT etc. I'm sure there are some I'm missing. And please don't try to pretend you know people's motives and intentions because you manage some financial accounts of SOME donors. 

Tim Cook from Apple. Don't forget about him. 

Archived