Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if AG kills it and totally screws up their plan to oust him.  I believe in him, if he's given a true shot to fix it. 

If this all ends in Greene leading the search, hitting a 360 tomahawk dunk to land Cristobal, and he fights for Cristobal to have autonomy I'll name my first son Allen.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

But does being in charge of the SEARCH mean he can offer autonomy? That's the 5,000,000 dollar question.

Being in charge of the search doesn’t mean you make the decision. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Good summary in the bio below. I might have to back off of "QB development at an elite level"- looks like he *recruited* Tajh Boyd but did not coach him, and while he's been very successful as a QB coach, "elite" might not be earned quite yet. 

https://ragincajuns.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/billy-napier/1008

I knew a little bit about him, mainly what I've read on here and his wiki.  Not that it matters now.  Thanks anyway.

WDE!

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

At this point, for the trustees to be involved in any capacity is pure and utter selfishness.

They have been directly turned down by the head coach or UL-Lafayette. It's reported they have now been turned down by the coach at UAB. 

That's an ugly mirror no one could turn away from. In no way, shape, or form could they be doing a worse job and they know it.

To not get out of the way is blatantly saying "I don't care how bad I do, I just care about staying in control. Even if it means controlling a sh*tty program." 

I don't mean to be trite, but I'm trying to piece together the logic, too. Your point holds unless, the overriding, bullying, controlling power-holders are continuing to reach their desired outcome: Steele is already currently employed and (presumably) ready and willing to be HC full-time. We assume the point of the committee is to do what will bring excellence to Auburn. Their motives may be (certainly appear to be) different. "They" need to be excused to the kids table while the adults finish AU's business.

But honestly, this is what we do.  Auburn is great at screwing up things that are important to us.  It’s in our dna.  Part of our allure.  

Take one of Chan Park’s classes and try to tell me we have things together as a University 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If this all ends in Greene leading the search, hitting a 360 tomahawk dunk to land Cristobal, and he fights for Cristobal to have autonomy I'll name my first son Allen.

If you’re serious, commit to naming your first daughter Allen.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

If you’re serious, commit to naming your first daughter Allen.

Lol look, I'd go with an Aly or something similar but we're going with the name my late mother helped choose. If the next one is a girl too I'm all in.

2 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

It will be Lane in the end .. 

at this point I’d be happy with that. 

5 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Might be time to burn the whole program down. Sad. 

No. It is time to fix this program. What's that they say about the definition of insanity?

1 minute ago, Butthead said:

Might be time to burn the whole program down. Sad. 

I have a bad feeling that's what's going to happen.  If some powerful people who know secrets (everybody has them, right?) get their panties in a wad, who knows what can get exposed.  I'm nobody, and I don't know anything.  But I've been an AU fan long enough to know that our sins don't get the same forgiveness that others get. 

Since no one else seems to want the job and the PTB want to keep the assistants,  need to think outside the box like Memphis in basketball. Just give the HC position to Caddy and give him some time to figure it out. When the current assistant contracts expire, he can hire some NFL buddies to help. #HireCaddy  😀

26 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Just so y’all don’t think I’m making it up lol 7E7CDEC4-E2C3-4A24-B8B3-8A02E6841260.jpeg

The fact that it is news at Auburn when the AD is actually “allowed” to lead the hiring of a FB coach is astounding to me. Isn’t that the case from the start at most schools?  Wow!

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

The fact that it is news at Auburn when the AD is actually “allowed” to lead the hiring of a FB coach is astounding to me. Isn’t that the case from the start at most schools?  Wow!

I sure hope he’s in charge now... because he may actually hire the right guy!! 

36 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Just thinking out loud...what is the frickin infatuation that the boosters have with Steele and Garner? You would think they are irreplaceable or something. I mean at some point, long before now, it should have been sorry, we tried but it's not gonna work. It's gone way beyond strange in insisting these guys stay on. I mean wtf. By the same token, wtf is wrong with Steele and Garner that they think this is gonna work out well for them? The dislike is growing to hatred pretty much. I swear 10 year olds could handle themselves better.

I just don't see a path forward for Steele and Garner at this point.  At least not in any sort of tenable situation.  Any type Steele HC announcement is going to be met with a worse reaction than Schiano got at Tennessee.  It seems as though Clark would be the same and I have to agree with earlier comments that if you acquiesce to Clark's demand for hiring his own staff, which he should demand, then why didn't you do that for the guys you'd rather have?  There is no good answer to that other than "we burned those bridges and Clark is the only one who gave us a shot to reconsider".  That answer isn't good enough for me and it shouldn't be for Auburn.

Auburn fans can stop being afraid of Saban, Coach O, Fisher, Smart, Mullen or any other SEC coach. The people AU fans needs to be afraid are power brokers who's been calling the shots for many many years. Until somethings to force their hands, Auburn will always be treated like the little kid who gets pushed around and kicked around around and he's never able to get up and stand on his own two feet again cause he keeps getting knocked down every time.

3 minutes ago, VicTree said:

I have a bad feeling that's what's going to happen.  If some powerful people who know secrets (everybody has them, right?) get their panties in a wad, who knows what can get exposed.  I'm nobody, and I don't know anything.  But I've been an AU fan long enough to know that our sins don't get the same forgiveness that others get. 

Wouldn't be fun to go through it but if that's the fallout of getting this program to the point it should be then so be it. 

Archived