Coach Harsin's First Presser (3:30 CT)

Zeek

18 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

We gave Barfield 5 years and Malzahn 8 years. Auburn fans are the opposite of impatient. It's not about the record at first, it's about how they play and seeing consistent improvement in all phases. If that happens, the record will come.

Harsin will inherit a lot of talent. Gus and Barfield did not. I’m not saying we’ll win the SEC but it won’t be a complete rebuild 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orange jerseys, face masks, or blue pants. Doesn’t matter to me. If we don’t want folks telling CBH who to hire, why should we tell him what uniforms to wear? These are 18-22 year old young men, they are busting their tail day in and day out, let’em wear something different from time to time, if that excites them, I think it can. Getting away from the old Auburn, very well may mean more than just in the board room. I think we’ve hired a football coach, gotta let him do his job, and all that it involves. 

4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Harsin will inherit a lot of talent. Gus and Barfield did not. I’m not saying we’ll win the SEC but it won’t be a complete rebuild 

You think that Gus didn't inherit talent? How exactly did they play for a national title in his first year? That Chizik staff recruited well and particularly left a lot of OL talent (which Gus was never able to replicate). You don't play for a title your first season with the last guy's roster without talent.

21 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

We gave Barfield 5 years and Malzahn 8 years. Auburn fans are the opposite of impatient. It's not about the record at first, it's about how they play and seeing consistent improvement in all phases. If that happens, the record will come.

Good point.  esp Barfield.  I don't remember how long it took the fan base to start complaining about Barfield.   I do not remember if fans were upset before Barfield's last year.    Gus got extra patience because his first year success.  I still think there are a lot of AU fans (or any teams fans) that have a "win now or I will b1tch and moan" attitude.    The average fan doesn't understand it can take time.  They think their team should win immediately.  Gus' first year success  directly effected how gus was perceived by those that thought he was a genius for the next 7 years.. 

13 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Talent that does not fit the coaches style means very little.  esp on OL

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Good point.  esp Barfield.  I don't remember how long it took the fan base to start complaining about Barfield.   I do not remember if fans were upset before Barfield's last year.    Gus got extra patience because his first year success.  I still think there are a lot of AU fans (or any teams fans) that have a "win now or I will b1tch and moan" attitude.    The average fan doesn't understand it can take time.  They think their team should win immediately.  Gus' first year success  directly effected how gus was perceived by those that thought he was a genius for the next 7 years.. 

Gus’ success in 2017 bought him 3 more years and a hefty going away present.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Gus’ success in 2017 bought him 3 more years and a hefty going away present.

His best year with is own players and system built in.   we made it to the SECCG  just to get embarrassed by UGA.  Then lost to UCF in the bowl game.   The season was worth a million dollar incentive,  but not worth the extension and buyout clause.  But someone still thought Gus was a genius, and screwed Auburn  with a new contract.

23 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Harsin inherits talent at a lot of skill positions.  Where we are deficient on talent is the OL specifically.  And I don't care if Bo is lining up back there if you can't block.

There's been a massive amount of roster mismanagement when it comes to the lines of scrimmage.  Going to take a few cycles to rebuild that.  Just hope we can coach up some of the guys we do have to be at least adequate and then scheme around it.

9 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Talent that does not fit the coaches style means very little.  esp on OL

Yeah the OL is a problem but the thing about BH is he’s a great at making adjustments to work around it. I repeat, this is not a rebuild  

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Harsin inherits talent at a lot of skill positions.  Where we are deficient on talent is the OL specifically.  And I don't care if Bo is lining up back there if you can't block.

There's been a massive amount of roster mismanagement when it comes to the lines of scrimmage.  Going to take a few cycles to rebuild that.  Just hope we can coach up some of the guys we do have to be at least adequate and then scheme around it.

I agree with that part 

20 minutes ago, SIR ISAAC said:

Someone needs to let Bama know just how important those uniforms are to getting their players motivated to play. 

I think it’s the dodge chargers that keep them motivated to play.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Yep! We’ve got some of the best uni’s in CFB. But switching it up some would be nice and the players would love it

No doubt. There's always some little things we can do to give it a fresh look without losing the tradition or changing the uniform... For example, the logo on the helmet could be the A with Eagle.  Or the old school Orange A. Add War Eagle to the front instead of Auburn in the same font. Change up the stripes. Or do a color rush. 

I would hope we go more retro or minimal rather than "loud." Whatever the case the fact that this discussion came up shows there's new blood. I think it will be up to the players.

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Yeah the OL is a problem but the thing about BH is he’s a great at making adjustments to work around it. I repeat, this is not a rebuild  

I hope you are right.   It is difficult to use light and fast linemen when your style football demands beefy powerful linemen.    My opinion is that it  is similar to a complete rebuild because the general philosophy and dynamics of coaching strategies are so different between Gus and CBH. Eventually CBH will bring in his own style players.  until then it will be a hodge-podge of style and talent.   

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

The portal will help, but it's gonna take at least 3 to recover from the roster mismanagement we've, well most, have seen and complained about

This is very true . We need the transfer market to be good to us . Gus and Co did such a poor job managing recruiting when it came to positions of need 

31 minutes ago, SIR ISAAC said:

Someone needs to let Bama know just how important those uniforms are to getting their players motivated to play. 

Ignorance must be nice. Nobody said it was required to play well but if it gets the players excited then why not? Those Bama players have better EVERYTHING than ours, including their Nike uniforms and gear.

10 minutes ago, chimes said:

Ignorance must be nice. Nobody said it was required to play well but if it gets the players excited then why not? Those Bama players have better EVERYTHING than ours, including their Nike uniforms and gear.

I don't like Nike.

26 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I agree with this. There is talent up and down this roster. The only part is lacking was oline recruiting. However, there was improvement until the injury bug hit. This team never quit and gave their all even though they may not have been put in the ideal situation. The biggest issue for Auburn was gameday execution and the inability to make adjustments. If Harsin is truly an X's and O's guy we should see some differences next year. 

“Do something better today than you did yesterday”.

-Bo Jackson

I love how Harsin talked about developing his players every day. That these young men have given everything they’ve got to be here and the coaches owe it to them to develop them EVERY SINGLE DAY.

40 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

It’s a substantial renovation.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

This is the narrative we need to be pushing ( because it is true)

The average fan does not understand this.  Fans are impatient. 

We have talent,  it is just depleted.   it will take time For the current players to learn the new system and style (which is quite different than Gus'.)   It will take time to bring in the players that fit Harsin's style.  It will take time for Harsin to get all the logistics and office work in order.  His style is so different than Gus, Harsin is basically starting from scratch.

2021 has the potential to be a vary bad year for us.

I just want to see improvement from 2021 to 2022 to 2023.  Not necessarily more wins, but playing better ball  becoming more competitive until this gets straightened out.  As long as I see progression  I don't care if we start off 3-9.     Well,  I'll care a little bit, but will not hold  it against Harsin.

If we start off 3-9 that will mean we lost every SEC game and Penn St. That will be a huge disappointment and coaching malpractice.

9 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If we start off 3-9 that will mean we lost every SEC game and Penn St. That will be a huge disappointment and coaching malpractice.

If Gus can win 6 games a year I know Bryan can. We won’t go 3-9. Ever

I’m starting to revise my first impression of this hire. I think I was wrong. I am thinking now that this might be what we need. Hopefully he will get a great staff. 

Archived