2021 Player Addition and Player Attrition

Zeek

5 minutes ago, AUMicBK said:

now there's an unexpected blast from the past

Is that more than a semi-educated guess? I'd like the hire but I don't see it happening.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I love T-Rock for his time as a player, and his couple of years coaching at AU - he hasn't had much of a pass rushing line since returning to the college game.  Not my favorite choice of the names mentioned, for sure.  

In his first season with the Razorbacks, UA's 2003 defensive line helped the Hogs finish fifth in the SEC in total defense, allowing 344.0 yards per game. In 2004, Rocker coached first-team All-SEC end Jeb Huckeba, who produced 56 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. Huckeba was as selected in the fifth round of the NFL Draft. Rocker's 2005 unit tied for second in the SEC with 29 sacks and was fourth in rushing defense behind Jackson, who earned second-team All-SEC honors after finishing fourth on the team with 74 tackles. 

Under Rocker's guidance, Jamaal Anderson was the premier pass rusher in the SEC in 2006 with 14 sacks for 100 yards and 20.5 tackles for loss. The honorable mention All-American ranked third nationally in sacks per game with 1.0, while his 20.5 TFL ranked 12th. Anderson also notched 65 tackles and a team-best 26 quarterback hurries. Anderson was selected as the eighth pick of the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft, while fellow Razorback defensive lineman Keith Jackson was taken in the seventh round. 

In 2010, Rocker coached 2010 Lombardi Awardwinner, AP All-American defensive lineman, and AP SEC defensive player of the year  Nick Fairley, as well as AP second-team All-SEC defensive lineman Antoine Carter. Fairley led the SEC with 21 tackles for loss and was second in the SEC with 10.5 sacks.  

Rocker was a member of the Auburn staff which won the 2011 BCS National Championship Game.

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I mentioned this elsewhere but he is a very good coach and a bad recruiter. If this is who we choose so be it. 

I never understood if Rocker was a bad recruiter or simply hated recruiting. He brought in some good prospects while at AU, but it is well known that he does not like recruiting. The scene with Rocker dancing in the AU office when his recruit, Corey Lemonier, chose Auburn on ESPN TV's signing day show kind of sticks out.

I like the mix of outsiders and Auburn men that CBH is putting together, and I believe it’ll work well.

32 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Bruce Feldman and Football Scoop reporting Tracy Rocker for DL Coach

Good coach but I heard he’s not interested in recruiting

7 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Good coach but I heard he’s not interested in recruiting

He's a very good recruiter but hates recruiting. Normally people aren't good at things they hate doing, but it seems Rocker is. Check out some of the D-line guys he brought into AU. He got good ones, and his recruits seemed to be impressed with him. Several said: "Coach Rock tells it like is".

16 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Not sure how this is preferable to RG.  

DL wasn't very good last year and we haven't had a threat from the edge since Jeff Holland left. Rodney's pulled in some talent but his unit hasn't been producing at the level we need.

Rock will likely get more out of his guys than Garner was getting out of his. But we'll need Mason & Co. to help him with the recruiting.

59 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I mentioned this elsewhere but he is a very good coach and a bad recruiter. If this is who we choose so be it. 

He's not a "bad" recruiter but not the best. He is a tremendous closer however

If we don't hire TWill, do we have proven elite recruiter on the defensive side of the ball?

Offensive side we have Friend & Bobo.  Carnell has been pretty good and could get another additional bump if McClendon is the WR Coach.

Defensive side I feel like we have really good coaches, just no one is a true "beast" recruiter.  I like Ethridge, Rocker, Mason from a true coaching stand point.  All unproven recruiters.  ILB Coach is unproven.  Doesn't mean they will not recruit or can't.  

Offensive side of the ball seems more recruiter heavy than the defensive side.  I know coaches cross over positions or focus on regions...

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If we don't hire TWill, do we have proven elite recruiter on the defensive side of the ball?

Offensive side we have Friend & Bobo.  Carnell has been pretty good and could get another additional bump if McClendon is the WR Coach.

Defensive side I feel like we have really good coaches, just no one is a true "beast" recruiter.  I like Ethridge, Rocker, Mason from a true coaching stand point.  All unproven recruiters.  ILB Coach is unproven.  Doesn't mean they will not recruit or can't.  

Offensive side of the ball seems more recruiter heavy than the defensive side.  I know coaches cross over positions or focus on regions...

Mason is a great recruiter

Here's who should be AU's remaining hires.

Travis Williams - OLB coach.

Bryan McClendon - WR coach.

Wonder who will coach Special Teams.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No is the answer to your question. We don't have any proven star recruiters on the defensive side of the ball. But i would argue that Rockers recruiting problems are a bit over blown. He is probably the most proven recruiter of the bunch. But that does not mean much because Mason has been at Vandy for past 8 years and Ethridge is still pretty green 

But i personally really like the potential recruiting power of Mason, Ethridge, and Rocker. If we can get Twill to come back then i will like it even better!!

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Mason is a great recruiter

I think players love him.  I still think he's a bit unproven.  Unless there's something that I'm not seeing, he wasn't seen as a beast recruiter at Stanford and wasn't anything above average at Vandy.  I'm not sure he's a proven elite DC type recruiter like Will Muschamp.  Not saying he isn't going to be a great recruiter, just don't think he's a proven commodity.

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

No is the answer to your question. We don't have any proven star recruiters on the defensive side of the ball. But i would argue that Rockers recruiting problems are a bit over blown. He is probably the most proven recruiter of the bunch. But that does not mean much because Mason has been at Vandy for past 8 years and Ethridge is still pretty green 

But i personally really like the potential recruiting power of Mason, Ethridge, and Rocker. If we can get Twill to come back then i will like it even better!!

I agree with this. I think there is potential with Ethridge.  I really like him.  I do think Mason has a chance to show that he can be an elite recruiter.  Lots of ppl here have confidence in him.

This is his first stop at a school that isn't is football focused vs academic & has the opportunity to bring in elite talent vs smart kids that are athletic.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:07 PM, Zeek said:

Orange = Signee

Blue = transferring to Auburn

Coaching Staff (Previous--->New)

HC | Gus Malzahn --->  Bryan Harsin

OC | Chad Morris --->  Mike Bobo

QB | Chad Morris ---> Mike Bobo

RB | Carnell Williams ---> STAYING

WR | Kodi Burns --->

TE-HB | Larry Porter ---> Brad Bedell (Co-OL)

OL | Jack Bicknell Jr. ---> Will Friend

-------------------------------

DC | Kevin Steele --->  Derek Mason

DL | Rodney Garner ---> Tracy Rocker

LB | Travis Williams ---> Jeff Schmedding (ILB & Run-D Coordinator)  

DB | Wesley McGriff ---> Zac Etheridge (CB coach)

D Analyst | Al Pogue --->

ST | Larry Porter --->

SC | Ryan Russell --->  Jeff Pitman

***Brad Larrondo (Associate AD & Football Administration & Chief of Staff)

Players

Quarterbacks (5->4)

Bo Nix

Grant Loy

Chayil Garnett

Dematrius Davis

Sawyer Pate (Walk-On might receive a scholly)

Running Backs (5->2)

Tank Bigsby

Shaun Shivers

Wide Receivers (11->10)

Kobe Hudson

Ja'Varrius Johnson

Shedrick Jackson

Malcolm Johnson Jr

Elijah Canion 

Caylin Newton

Ze'vian Capers

JJ Evans

Hal Presley

Tight Ends & HBacks (5->6)

JJ Pegues

Brandon Frazier

Luke Deal

Tyler Fromm

John Samuel Shenker

Landen King

Offensive Linemen (15->16)

Jalil Irvin

Nick Brahms

Tate Johnson

Brenden Coffey

Tashawn Manning

Avery Jernigan

Keiondre Jones

Brodarious Hamm

Kameron Stutts 

Alec Jackson

Austin Troxell

Brandon Council

Prince Micheal Sammons

Kilian Zierer 

Kamaar Bell

Garner Langlo

--------------------------------------------

Defensive Linemen & Buck (15->17)

Colby Wooden

Derick Hall

Romello Height

TD Moultry

Zykeivous Walker

Jay Hardy

Caleb Johnson

Daniel Foster-Allen

Jaren Handy

Dre Butler

Jeremiah Wright

Marquis Burks

Tyrone Truesdell

Lee Hunter

Marquis Robinson

Tobechi Okoli

Ian Matthews

Linebackers (10->7)

Owen Pappoe

Zakoby McClain

Desmond Tisdol 

Chandler Wooten

Wesley Steiner

Cam Riley

Kameron Brown

Defensive Backs (15->14)

Roger McCreary

Chris Thompson Jr

Devan Barrett

Ladarius Tennison 

Nehemiah Pritchett

Malcolm Askew 

Marco Domio 

Smoke Monday

Eric Reed Jr

Zion Puckett

Jaylin Simpson

Ahmari Harvey

Kamal Hadden

Armani Diamond

Kicker

Anders Carlson

Punter

Ian Marshall

Oscar Chapman

Transferring Out:

Mark-Antony Richards --->

Cord Sandberg --->

Matthew Hill ---> USF

Harold Joiner ---> Michigan State

Coynis Miller ---> Jackson State (Deion Sanders' school)

DJ Williams ---> FSU

Big Kat Bryant --->

Daquan Newkirk --->

Christian Tutt --->

Graduating or Entering NFL Draft:

KJ Britt

Anthony Schwartz

Seth Williams

Eli Stove

Jordyn Peters

Jamien Sherwood

Added Tracy Rocker

Sherwood is expected to declare

TD Moultry expected to return but in a different position

18 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Added Tracy Rocker

Thanks for your efforts here Zeek.  Keep up all the great work!

47 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

IMO we absolutely need someone like TWill on the defensive side. Has Harsin appointed a recruiting coordinator? Needs to be a TWill type. 

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

IMO we absolutely need someone like TWill on the defensive side. Has Harsin appointed a recruiting coordinator? Needs to be a TWill type. 

Don't think I've seen any recruiting coordinator designations.

• Zeek changed the title to 2021 Player Addition and Player Attrition

Separated this thread from coaching news. Will keep this one for Player Addition & Attrition.

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

He's a good recruiter when he's at a good program. Not a bad recruiter by any stretch. Just not a great one nor does he enjoy it. The gabe wright all nighter where he had to talk to him up until 4 am to make sure he was still on board broke him and he went to the NFL a few weeks after that signing day.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Added Tracy Rocker

You mean his natural position from high school that he should of been playing all along!? Lol. He was the number 1 ILB in the country in 247's personal rankings I believe as a recruit.

Archived