Fight for the Soul of Seattle - Documentary

caleb1633

https://youtu.be/WijoL3Hy_Bw

Eye opening documentary about the current state of affairs in Seattle. Such a shame. I was there just a little over three years ago and it was a beautiful city. The rapid decline shown here should be something that concerns all of us, regardless of political ideals.

I've always loved Seattle - great Thai food - as well as the Olympic peninsula.  I took my parents there in the 90's as the starting and ending point of a week long tour which included the cascades, Mt. St. Helens, the Oregon coast, the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver.

Mental illness, addiction and homelessness is a intertwined "witches brew" of a social problem. 

But as the documentary clearly illustrates, you cannot deal with the mental illness/addiction/homelessness aspects without first controlling the associated criminal behavior.  The city government - or at least the controlling aspects of that government - clearly don't understand that.  Those people obviously need to be replaced.

I have faith they will ultimately figure it out.  They aren't the only place in the country dealing with these issues.

37 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I've always loved Seattle - great Thai food - as well as the Olympic peninsula.  I took my parents there in the 90's as the starting and ending point of a week long tour which included the cascades, Mt. St. Helens, the Oregon coast, the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver.

Mental illness, addiction and homelessness is a intertwined "witches brew" of a social problem. 

But as the documentary clearly illustrates, you cannot deal with the mental illness/addiction/homelessness aspects without first controlling the associated criminal behavior.  The city government - or at least the controlling aspects of that government - clearly don't understand that.  Those people obviously need to be replaced.

I have faith they will ultimately figure it that out.  They aren't the only place in the country dealing with these issues.

As I try to understand why they continue to perpetuate these issues, I have to think that they deeply care about those dealing with all these issues, but caring alone isn't enough. I once heard someone say something to the extent of, “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results." It's usually a bad idea to throw a bone to an ear-marked portion of the population at the expense of the population as a whole. A potential positive is that it's occurring on a small scale and mostly isolated to several cities on the West Coast. It can potentially be positive if other cities don't follow their example. ICHY might be upset if they don't though lol.

Archived