2021 New Staff (Complete... again)

Zeek

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Long term, yes. Right now, he should focus on what he knows (LBs) b/c it'll help him be more successful short term. Biggest thing for him is spreading his wings and developing coaching relationships at other stops. 

The more you learn from others the more marketable a coach becomes.

22 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

By wanting a reason to say no to the NFL. Think about it

If he wanted a reason, I think the fact he just made a 2/3 year commitment to his alma mater would be reason enough if he wanted to stay at AU. I am not hating on him I get both sides of the coin. I just don't think honoring his contract was anything he remotely close to what he did. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

You got to be kidding

It was just Dallas news, had him  in the top 10 replacements. I didn’t do any further research other than that. Don’t know if smu even has a board lol

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If he wanted a reason, I think the fact he just made a 2/3 year commitment to his alma mater would be reason enough if he wanted to stay at AU. I am not hating on him I get both sides of the coin. I just don't think honoring his contract was anything he remotely close to what he did. 

Either your word and handshake means something or they don't.    Harsin didn't offer and then say, "Hey, oh yeah I need at least 2-3  yrs.".  

Harsin interviewed one assistant for 5 hrs...details and expectations are pretty clear. 

I lost a lot of respect for Rocker.  It's not like Philly called and offered him the HC job or GM job...

Quick story: when Lou Holtz signed on at Minnesota he put in his contract he would only interview with only one specific team if they asked and would not interview with anyone else until after his contract was over.   Only one team - IF they called him.   I consider that integrity.  I am not against a coach moving on after contributing, but Rocker broke his word after he committed to Harsin, he did not "move on. "   

I expect more from an Auburn man. 

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Either your word and handshake means something or they don't.    Harsin didn't offer and then say, "Hey, oh yeah I need at least 2-3  yrs.".  

Harsin interviewed one assistant for 5 hrs...details and expectations are pretty clear. 

I lost a lot of respect for Rocker.  It's not like Philly called and offered him the HC job or GM job...

Quick story: when Lou Holtz signed on at Minnesota he put in his contract he would only interview with only one specific team if they asked and would not interview with anyone else until after his contract was over.   Only one team - IF they called him.   I consider that integrity.  I am not against a coach moving on after contributing, but Rocker broke his word after he committed to Harsin, he did not "move on. "   

Rocker broke his word to Shane Beamer as did Mike Bono and Will Friend.  It’s not unique to AU and Harsin to have someone reneg on a promise.  Shame but it’s the way it is these days.  Word used to mean something but not for many any more.

3 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Rocker broke his word to Shane Beamer as did Mike Bono and Will Friend.  It’s not unique to AU and Harsin to have someone reneg on a promise.  Shame but it’s the way it is these days.  Word used to mean something but not for many any more.

I get your point, but I expect a little more from Rocker.  

And did he commit to Beamer yet?  Not sure if they had really met and outlined a direction together.   Probably so, but I don't know.    

As I said, I expected a little more from Rocker.

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I didn’t say he did honor his contract?

My guess is the reason you see moves like this is because the final contract had not been signed. There was probably only an MOU. The idea we would have paid USCe a buyout to hire Rocker, but not had him under contract with its own buyout, is unlikely.

The truth is we are better off without Rocker he obviously don’t like recruiting and left for the NFL so he doesn’t have to. We really don’t want someone who doesn’t want to do the job.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, Potatooooooes!! said:

Exactly. If he really did that then he made every effort to stay at his alma mater and honor his contract. It seems to me his heart is in two places. Can’t blame a guy for that at all

3 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I didn’t say he did honor his contract?

Right. You said if he went to CBH and leveraged the NFL deal for more money, very Gus Malzahnish style, he would have made every effort to honor his contract.  I disagreed.

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

Well, you might need to lower your expectations my friend or you will find yourself disappointed quite often in this business.

4 hours ago, dilligas said:

See, the thing is, it’s totally ok for folks to break their promise to someone else to come here, but to break their promise to us to go elsewhere, that’s completely unacceptable.  😂

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well, you might need to lower your expectations my friend or you will find yourself disappointed quite often in this business.

ready to move on from the Rocker situation. Someone that is computer literate needs to “beam” into Harsin’s Zoom program and get some rumors  of who the next guy is.

Just now, AUpreacherman22 said:

See, the thing is, it’s totally ok for folks to break their promise to someone else to come here, but to break their promise to us to go elsewhere, that’s completely unacceptable.  😂

Good one!

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Amen I said Amen. The hypocrisy is loud in here!!!

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Right. You said if he went to CBH and leveraged the NFL deal for more money, very Gus Malzahnish style, he would have made every effort to honor his contract.  I disagreed.

Every effort beyond just saying no. How often do you hear of a college assistant getting an offer for the NFL and then seeing if the college would match it? You don’t do that unless you want to stay, but anyone with common sense would know they can’t pass up a better opportunity if it comes along. Leveraging the NFL for more money, as you put it, is your cynical way of looking at it without being open to the possibility that this decision might have been more difficult than you think. To me, it shows he wanted to be here, but needed a reason to say no to the better job. It’s kind of a dead horse at this point. If he was asked for a three year commitment then he shouldn’t have agreed if he wasn’t going to honor it. But in coaching nothing is guaranteed. You really have to just look out for yourself. So I see both sides and don’t blame him one bit. In the end it sounds like he’s gone and we gotta find someone else

20 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Someone that is computer literate needs to “beam” into Harsin’s Zoom program and get some rumors  of who the next guy is.

I did but he hasn’t made a decision yet. I’ll go back in tonight to see what I can find out. 

20 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Every effort beyond just saying no. How often do you hear of a college assistant getting an offer for the NFL and then seeing if the college would match it? You don’t do that unless you want to stay, but anyone with common sense would know they can’t pass up a better opportunity if it comes along. Leveraging the NFL for more money, as you put it, is your cynical way of looking at it without being open to the possibility that this decision might have been more difficult than you think. To me, it shows he wanted to be here, but needed a reason to say no to the better job. It’s kind of a dead horse at this point. If he was asked for a three year commitment then he shouldn’t have agreed if he wasn’t going to honor it. But in coaching nothing is guaranteed. You really have to just look out for yourself. So I see both sides and don’t blame him one bit. In the end it sounds like he’s gone and we gotta find someone else

My cynical way huh? LMAO. Maybe it was a tough decision for him. I am sure it took a lot of thought. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that he leveraged the offer for more money after he made an agreement. Look, I am not hating on the man. That is the way it is in the coaching world. I see both sides of the coin, but you continue to say things like "He might have wanted to stay at AU and he asked for more money hoping AU would match it so he could then turn down the NFL" Are you kidding? That logic is severely flawed. If he wanted to be at AU more than the NFL ....do not take the call. I have turned down better paying jobs before to continue working somewhere I loved or doing something I loved. The argument that you are posing like he was just trying so desperately to find a way to stay at AU is absurd and does not flow with the phrase "honor his contract". He didn't honor his contract, period. It is what it is. Wish him all the best.

14 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

My cynical way huh? LMAO. Maybe it was a tough decision for him. I am sure it took a lot of thought. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that he leveraged the offer for more money after he made an agreement. Look, I am not hating on the man. That is the way it is in the coaching world. I see both sides of the coin, but you continue to say things like "He might have wanted to stay at AU and he asked for more money hoping AU would match it so he could then turn down the NFL" Are you kidding? That logic is severely flawed. If he wanted to be at AU more than the NFL ....do not take the call. I have turned down better paying jobs before to continue working somewhere I loved or doing something I loved. The argument that you are posing like he was just trying so desperately to find a way to stay at AU is absurd and does not flow with the phrase "honor his contract". He didn't honor his contract, period. It is what it is. Wish him all the best.

It’s neither absurd nor flawed, it’s common sense, which clearly isn’t as common as it used to be. It’s all good though. I don’t care to go back and forth on this because as I said it’s been beat to death. You see what happened in a completely negative light and refuse to concede there might be more to it, even though you don’t know the man or the situation at all. Your job is different, so you comparing it to coaching football is absurd and flawed (unless...you coach football?) We both agree on the obvious point he didn’t honor the contract. At this point we should give each other a War Eagle and move on

22 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

It’s neither absurd nor flawed, it’s common sense, which clearly isn’t as common as it used to be. It’s all good though. I don’t care to go back and forth on this because as I said it’s been beat to death. You see what happened in a completely negative light and refuse to concede there might be more to it, even though you don’t know the man or the situation at all. Your job is different, so you comparing it to coaching football is absurd and flawed (unless...you coach football?) We both agree on the obvious point he didn’t honor the contract. At this point we should give each other a War Eagle and move on

I would have just agreed to say War Eagle and move on, but you felt a need to throw a childish jab in the debate so now I am compelled to respond. I have no tolerance for people like you. Anytime someone disagrees you have to try and throw insults around with your little jabs. That's why we as a people are so divided now. People cannot stand to let other folks have a different view point without bashing them, calling them names, or throwing a little jab in there. I have been nothing but respectful to you and I expect the same. I might have said your argument was absurd, or your logic of the argument, but never a direct insult about you or whatever level of intelligence you have.

You want to bring up common sense...well let's just review your response. You say I see it in a completely negative light. I have not given you any indication of seeing it negative. I see it for what it is. He took a job that he feels is better suited for him after agreeing to contract with AU. He also used that job to try and get more money than originally negotiated from AU. That is neither negative nor positive, my friend. That is fact.

You then said I refuse to see that there may have been more to it. I believe I conceded that it probably wasn't an easy decision and I am sure he put a lot of thought into it. End result, he still broke his contract. 

You say I compared my job to coaching football which is completely false. I took your argument that if he was "looking for a reason to stay."..all he had to do is say no to the NFL. He didn't have to ask AU to match. If you want to be a place...you do not have take a phone call. If you do take the call as a courtesy, you can turn it down. Whether a burger flipper at the local Whataburger or an Football coach....he did as he wanted. IF he wanted to stay at AU we wouldn't be having this conversation. That is the argument of yours I said is absurd and flawed. He decided he wanted to be at Philly more than he does AU. Whether it was the money, the city, the prestige that comes with an NFL coaching job, etc, he chose to go rather than honor his commitment. I understand that this is a more common practice in the coaching world as we have poached a couple guys to come here from other schools, that is why I am said multiple times....I am not hating on him. (that means I do not hold it against him for those with little to no common sense). I also have stated multiple times that he did not honor his commitment, nor his contract. That is fact. Whether you deem it positive or negative. 

Good day to you. War Eagle.

Rocker clearly getting towards the end of his career.

Rocker takes USC-E job.

Auburn calls and the opportunity to return and maybe finish his career here is great.

The NFL comes calling, something he did not see happening again, this is his one last shot, perhaps, at being an NFL coach and getting a Super Bowl Ring, something every football player from a kid up dreams of achieving.  One last shot to live out his childhood dream

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I do concur.  100%   And I am disappointed in people, a lot.  I am not surprised, but disappointed.  Honestly, people are quite overrated.  But less I digress.

I also don't view the Creed as a nice wall ornament.   If it were, other schools would have prettier or more decorated thingies.    That's kinda where I am coming from.  Handshakes, giving your word, oaths of office - these things used to mean more....  

Archived