Grade each hire so far

AUwent

I really don't know enough (been really busy lately) to form an opinion so I'll just have y'all sort it out, lol. Self-explanatory, what grade would you give each staff hire (including HC) so far? We need a general consensus.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harsin B+

Bobo C

Friend B+

CWill C

Caddy B+

Beddell C+

Mason A+

Rocker B

Schmeddinhg C+

Etheridge C+

Pittman D+

Lorrando B+

A lot of these grades can skyrocket. Etheridge at Auburn might be a phenomenal recruiter.

Rocker can develop and identify talent but he won't wow us as a primary recruiter.

Bobo can recruit really well but can he have a better offense than what South Carolina had? Will we see the offense more like Boise we were all excited to see?

Friend and Bedell as a combo grade for me is actually an A. Friend can recruit really well and Bedell should very much help on the development side of things.

CWill seems like a young developer. If he recruits well I'm here for it. Just feels underwhelming compared to the Tee Martin, McClendon, Moorehead names we were hearing. Obviously impressed Harsin to win out.

Mason in my opinion was literally the best possible hire with the options out there.

Love Caddy. Looks like they're pursuing bigger backs. Hopefully their pass protection improves.

Schmedding seems like a bright guy. How he'll recruit and what impact he has will be intriguing. Gives Harsin at least one guy on the defensive side who knows how he likes things.

I just don't like Pitman. Sue me but I'd rather be moving towards the future and emulating the rivals trouncing us instead of back in time. Probably the only hire I really just didn't like. 

Lorrando (chief of staff) I think will be awesome in helping free up the coaches to coach instead of dealing with extra bs. 

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Harsin B+

Bobo C

Friend B+

CWill C

Caddy B+

Beddell C+

Mason A+

Rocker B

Schmeddinhg C+

Etheridge C+

Pittman D+

Lorrando B+

A lot of these grades can skyrocket. Etheridge at Auburn might be a phenomenal recruiter.

Rocker can develop and identify talent but he won't wow us as a primary recruiter.

Bobo can recruit really well but can he have a better offense than what South Carolina had? Will we see the offense more like Boise we were all excited to see?

Friend and Bedell as a combo grade for me is actually an A. Friend can recruit really well and Bedell should very much help on the development side of things.

CWill seems like a young developer. If he recruits well I'm here for it. Just feels underwhelming compared to the Tee Martin, McClendon, Moorehead names we were hearing. Obviously impressed Harsin to win out.

Mason in my opinion was literally the best possible hire with the options out there.

Love Caddy. Looks like they're pursuing bigger backs. Hopefully their pass protection improves.

Schmedding seems like a bright guy. How he'll recruit and what impact he has will be intriguing. Gives Harsin at least one guy on the defensive side who knows how he likes things.

I just don't like Pitman. Sue me but I'd rather be moving towards the future and emulating the rivals trouncing us instead of back in time. Probably the only hire I really just didn't like. 

Lorrando (chief of staff) I think will be awesome in helping free up the coaches to coach instead of dealing with extra bs. 

I think this is probably where I'm at. I don't think we made a single home run hire. Maybe Mason. We didn't make any terrible hires. 

Hopefully the staff is a sum of its parts and better as a whole. 

A lot of guys that that will probably leave here with a better reputation than Whne they came in 

Harsin A

Bobo B

Friend A

CWill B-

Caddy B-

Beddell A-

Mason A+

Rocker B

Schmeddinhg B+

Etheridge C

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Harsin A

Bobo B

Friend A

CWill B-

Caddy B-

Beddell A-

Mason A+

Rocker B

Schmeddinhg B+

Etheridge C

I'll take that grading scale all day long.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Harsin A

Bobo B

Friend A

CWill B-

Caddy B-

Beddell A-

Mason A+

Rocker B

Schmeddinhg B+

Etheridge C

That Etheridge grade is surprising compared to the others

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why?

It's the only one you're lower on than I am lol 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

It's the only one you're lower on than I am lol 

Just not a whole lot to go on with him. Some I know have worked with him and say he's good, but we just don't know...yet.

Williams isn't a "splash" hire but he's very good, know a guy who coached with him and I know a guy who started for troy when he was there and I hear nothing but good things. I've been told he can really relate to players, I imagine it will translate well with recruiting

18 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Mason A?, I’m just not seeing it, maybe so.

What would Steeles grade be? Even though he flopped this year.

I don't see the beast recruiting that everyone else does with Mason, but I think back with better athletes and focusing just on Defense I'm hoping he can be a very good DC. 

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Williams isn't a "splash" hire but he's very good, know a guy who coached with him and I know a guy who started for troy when he was there and I hear nothing but good things. I've been told he can really relate to players, I imagine it will translate well with recruiting

Wve seen that with the younger coaches here. TWILL, Carnell, and even Kodi have been aboto recruit well. Those guys probably have more name value than C-Will

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Wve seen that with the younger coaches here. TWILL, Carnell, and even Kodi have been aboto recruit well. Those guys probably have more name value than C-Will

You don't have any type of info or logic to base that on. It's literally you just talking

51 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You don't have any type of info or logic to base that on. It's literally you just talking

I'm agreeing with you, spaz. And yeah we've seen plenty of recruits talk about connecting with younger coaches 

DC- Derek Mason- A+  absolutely crushed this hire. I think he will kill it on the recruiting trail and we all know how good of an x and o coach he is. 

OC- Mike Bobo- A The reason I give this hire an A is not because I think he is some wizard of a play-caller or runs some hot new scheme, but because he is exactly what we need right now. He is a proven QB developer first and foremost. Secondly he is a stud recruiter. 3rd- He is a good fit with Harsin as far as Style and Scheme and they should compliment each other well. Is he the splashiest? No. Does he check the boxes of what we need right now as well as any other coach OC in the country? Yes IMO.

OL- Will Friend- B+ Again, is he the best OL coach in the world? No, but he is a proven recruiter. IMO the thing we need most right now on the OL is someone who can get quality bodies on the roster. I also believe he is a good coach as well. 

RB- Cadillac William- B+, I like the hire. I think in his brief career he has done a good job recruiting and developing. Without Gus holding him back, I believe his coaching game will soar. Only person I probably would have chosen over Caddy is Dell.

WR- C-Will (Cornwill) C, I think he has done a good job of coaching what he had to work with at Troy. I love that he has SE ties for recruiting. There are a few guys I would have loved to see hire here, but overall I think a good hire.

DL- Tracy Rocker- B, I love the way he coaches. I just hope he can turn it on as a recruiter. 

ILB- Jeff Schmeddling- B-, I think this is a guy Harsin trust and that is enough for me. 

DB- Zac Etheridge- C, This one was one of the ones I was underwhelmed with.  Mainly just because he isn't really a proven commodity. I honestly would have given a D, but with Ted Roof being so high on him that bumped him up. He has all the opportunity in the world to turn himself into an A.

TE- Beddell- B+, Just an all around solid hire. 

Overall, I give the Offensive staff so far an A. I give the Defensive staff overall a B+. Team overall A-. I think Harsin has really knocked it out of the park for what we need right now to build this thing right. What do we have left 2 spots? If he retains T-will that will bump Defense up to an A for me. 

I will give the Harsin hire an A, and stop there with the other’s grades. This much I’m confident in; he used a much more strategic and through hiring process than our previous HC. He factored in experience, relationships, player evaluation, philosophies, and alignment with his vision. Look at his blend:

Mason and Bobo: extensive SEC experience, and huge winning seasons in their past as coordinators. And HC experience. Stellar recruiters.

Rocker and Caddy: AU and SEC legends as players. They earned SEC titles as players and know what it takes to beat Bama and UGA.

Friend: Former SEC player, great HC mentors in the past, and relentless recruiter in the South and developer.

Bedell: 6 years NFL playing experience. West coast and Texas recruiting experience. Extensive knowledge of Harsin’s offense

Schmedding: Player developer with significant recruiting connections on the West Coast. Knows Harsin’s culture and can bring it to the defensive side of the ball. 

Ethridge: National Championship ring at AU. Him and Caddy both know what it takes for AU to be a champion. Tireless worker. Texas recruiting ties.

Corn Williams: super hungry, has won championships with lesser talent, and extensive recruiting experience in Al, Ga, and Fla. Strong connections to Birmingham high schools. 

Great diversity of experiences and backgrounds, all recruiting bases covered, and all men of character. Let’s GO!

War Eagle 🦅 

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

Pittman D+

I am curious as to why you do not feel Pitman is any good, this is the second or third post you have implied he doesn’t know crap.  Please explain.  I would love to here how you would Program for a college football weight program. I have read countless college weight program manuals, I have never read anything from or by Pittman, but it seems you know, I would like to hear why he sucks.

I have a copy of the famous Alabama Fourth Quarter Program laying here on my desk, I can send that to him if you think it will help. 

11 minutes ago, AUFAN1972 said:

I am curious as to why you do not feel Pitman is any good, this is the second or third post you have implied he doesn’t know crap.  Please explain.  I would love to here how you would Program for a college football weight program. I have read countless college weight program manuals, I have never read anything from or by Pittman, but it seems you know, I would like to hear why he sucks.

I have a copy of the famous Alabama Fourth Quarter Program laying here on my desk, I can send that to him if you think it will help. 

Every single comment about him is how old-school he is. He's a Boise lifer. There's a reason at his age he's gone practically nowhere else. He's older, that's a negative in my mind. He's out of shape, another negative in my mind.

Meanwhile the Turds to the north of us have a literal doctor on staff creating player-centric workout plans based off analytics and muscle composition. 

My point is simply, as I said, why go "old-school" when you can embrace the future?

I'm sure he'll do just fine but I don't think it's criminal to want someone with a more impressive resume. Really don't care anymore I've moved on but this thread made it to where I had to rehash my point.

Like others, I would give very high grades to several of the coaches.   Overall, CBH has put together a staff that I believe can recruit, develop, and lead AU to be a winner!   The lowest grades I would give would be CZE and CCW and the only reason is because they’re young and inexperienced.  I absolutely love ZE the AU player!  One of my favorites!!!  With his enthusiasm and work ethic combined with having CDM as a mentor at AU, a place he loves, I expect his grade to skyrocket!!!

Pitman is a ? for me.  I just don’t know what we’re getting there.  He may adapt with some new tech and resources at his disposal.  IDK.  Being CBH’s very first hire, clearly it was easy for him to see Pitman fitting with what he wants to accomplish here.  

The observations of Pittman being older, being out of shape, being whatever it is that people see from their couch through their computer screen, as being a reason he's a bad S&C coach, are all incredibly ill-informed opinion. 

We're better than that, give the man a chance. He has 100% of my support. War Eagle.

gabo

Archived