playoff committee considering Expansion

DAG

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think that would have to be the case for this to go through if I truly understand the six highest ranked conference champion getting bids.

Yeah, so Costal Carolina & Cincy get in & I Think one of them would be a 4 seed.  Pac12 wouldn't had gotten in last year

I'd be better with the Auto-Bids, but I really hate the auto rankings 1-4

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, so Costal Carolina & Cincy get in & I Think one of them would be a 4 seed.  Pac12 wouldn't had gotten in last year

I'd be better with the Auto-Bids, but I really hate the auto rankings 1-4

Would they ? I need to see a graphic here lol 

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Keep going I'm almost there....

So if ND goes 11-0, they still wouldn't get a bye, even though they more than likely are going to be the top 4 in any poll.

If they have clout, this won't do, unless this really forces them to join a conference. But I don't see how, since they would then have to share their media, and all other revenue thru the conference...

But I do like the 4 top seeds being those that won championships.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Would they ? I need to see a graphic here lol 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/16/year/2020/seasontype/2

Final Week

1-4 Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Iowa State  (I was originally looking at end of year rankings)

Cincy & Costal get auto bids b/s they are 5th & 6th highest ranked teams

Notre Dame, Aggies, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Indiana

No Pac12

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So if ND goes 11-0, they still wouldn't get a bye, even though they more than likely are going to be the top 4 in any poll.

If they have clout, this won't do, unless this really forces them to join a conference. But I don't see how, since they would then have to share their media, and all other revenue thru the conference...

Correct.  Join a conference or never get a bye. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Yes! We get in twice

Double our odds of winning 

What last season's College Football Playoff field would have looked like under proposed 12-team bracket  (USA Today)

The first part of the new proposal sees the top six conference champions in the committee rankings included in the field, with the first four receiving first-round byes:

No. 1 Alabama (SEC champions)

No. 2 Clemson (ACC champions)

No. 3 Ohio State (Big Ten champions)

No. 6 Oklahoma (Big 12 champions)

No. 8 Cincinnati (American Athletic champions)

No. 12 Coastal Carolina (Sun Belt champions)

Six at-large selections would have gone to the next six teams in the committee's order:

No. 4 Notre Dame (ACC at-large)

No. 5 Texas A&M (SEC at-large)

No. 7 Florida (SEC at-large)

No. 9 Georgia (SEC at-large)

No. 10 Iowa State (Big 12 at-large)

No. 11 Indiana (Big Ten at-large)

Edited by EastAl_Tiger

4 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Interesting.... PAC-12 wouldve been left out, Notre Dame can only hope to be #5 seed at best

Probably not in a full season. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

The first part of the new proposal sees the top six conference champions in the committee rankings included in the field, with the first four receiving first-round byes:

No. 1 Alabama (SEC champions)

No. 2 Clemson (ACC champions)

No. 3 Ohio State (Big Ten champions)

No. 6 Oklahoma (Big 12 champions)

No. 8 Cincinnati (American Athletic champions)

No. 12 Coastal Carolina (Sun Belt champions)

Six at-large selections would have gone to the next six teams in the committee's order:

No. 4 Notre Dame (ACC at-large)

No. 5 Texas A&M (SEC at-large)

No. 7 Florida (SEC at-large)

No. 9 Georgia (SEC at-large)

No. 10 Iowa State (Big 12 at-large)

No. 11 Indiana (Big Ten at-large)

So ND vs CC

texas A&M vs IU

Florida vs Iowa 

Georgia Vs Cincy

BYE: Bama, Clemson , tOSU and OU. 

The possibility of playing Georgia three times in a season is pretty wild to think about. 

nvm, read it wrong

Edited by W.E.D

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

ND was allowed to compete for ACC Champ last year, could definitely see them allowing it again as negotiations between the 2 parties. 

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

ND was allowed to compete for ACC Champ last year, could definitely see them allowing it again as negotiations between the 2 parties. 

Think that was done just because schools were desperate to get enough games. I believe the ACC would ask for full membership for that otherwise it would only benefit ND in that regard to bypass the technicality 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

So ND vs CC

texas A&M vs IU

Florida vs Iowa 

Georgia Vs Cincy

BYE: Bama, Clemson , tOSU and OU. 

Actually:

¹Bama vs ⁸TAMU/ ⁹FLA

⁴Oklahoma vs ⁵Cincy/ ¹²Indiana

³Ohio State vs ⁶Coastal/ ¹¹Iowa St

²Clemson vs ⁷Notre Dame/ ¹⁰UGA

Previous rankings just seed the teams.

Edited by AUBwins
  • Thanks 2

Make it 8 and that's it. I would've loved to have seen BYU and Cinncy in the playoffs. Yes, they'd likely lose but I'd rather see those teams play a Bama or Clemson vs. playing a middle tier Power 5 team in a bowl game. Of course it would mean more money but i think it would help more programs with recruiting if coaches are able to say to recruits that you're going to have a chance to make the playoffs even if you're at schools like UCF, BYU, Cinncy, Boise St. outside of the power 5. As well as provide lesser known/seen players a stage against better teams which can help their NFL stock.

The only thing i wouldn't like about 8 teams as an Auburn fan is that if we're in contention for the playoffs, there's a highly likely chance that Bama and/or UGA will be in as well. That means the possibility of playing them twice. Not that i don't we couldn't beat them twice but I don't know if my health could take 2 Iron Bowls in one year. 

• Like 1

And Notre Dame needs to join a conference! It's simply not fair they get to jump around and play who they want to and waltz their way into the playoffs overhyped. 

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Make it 8 and that's it. I would've loved to have seen BYU and Cinncy in the playoffs. Yes, they'd likely lose but I'd rather see those teams play a Bama or Clemson vs. playing a middle tier Power 5 team in a bowl game. Of course it would mean more money but i think it would help more programs with recruiting if coaches are able to say to recruits that you're going to have a chance to make the playoffs even if you're at schools like UCF, BYU, Cinncy, Boise St. outside of the power 5. As well as provide lesser known/seen players a stage against better teams which can help their NFL stock.

The only thing i wouldn't like about 8 teams as an Auburn fan is that if we're in contention for the playoffs, there's a highly likely chance that Bama and/or UGA will be in as well. That means the possibility of playing them twice. Not that i don't we couldn't beat them twice but I don't know if my health could take 2 Iron Bowls in one year. 

I think it is a pretty foregone conclusion it will be 12 . They are trying to maximize as much viewers as possible and having homefield minimally rivals the pros.

27 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

And Notre Dame needs to join a conference! It's simply not fair they get to jump around and play who they want to and waltz their way into the playoffs overhyped. 

Isn't their schedule usually better than whoever the Pac-12 would send out there? 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think it is a pretty foregone conclusion it will be 12 . They are trying to maximize as much viewers as possible and having homefield minimally rivals the pros.

Yeah. 12 is likely. I'd rather it be 8. I think they're trying to deter opt outs as well. Additionaly, week to week there will be more games that having meaning.

My issue with 12 is the number of games teams will have to play. Will a 12 playoff team mean teams will be doing away with 1 or 2 of their out of conference games? I'm sure the top 4 teams will get a bye but no sure i like the increase of games that will be played.

19 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Isn't their schedule usually better than whoever the Pac-12 would send out there? 

Agree to a certain extent. Regular season schedule...yes they do. However, they don't have the same risk as other teams when it comes to playing in a conference championship game that could impact the playoffs. They continuously get the benefit of the doubt on name and history alone. They can't just be seen as an ACC school but avoid the risk of losing in the ACC championship game and getting a bid. Join the Pac 12 if they want to. Every team needs to be in a conference if they want to play in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Not a big fan of the byes set-up.  If one is concerned about broadening the playoff to include more teams than the usual 4 suspects then why would you make it easier for the top-4 teams to win it all by having them play 1 less game then the others?  You've pretty much ensured the bye teams will remain rested & at the top.  Two ways to combat this:  (1) expand to 16 teams so all teams will have to win 3 rounds to be champion; (2) keep the number at 12 & hold a drawing for the four 1st-round byes, AND the 1st-round match-ups.  Wouldn't that make for an interesting playoff(!?)        

• Like 1