Chayil Garnett enters transfer portal

Tony4AU

Yup, it'll be interesting if we take a transfer to add depth. I wouldn't be against giving Sawyer Pate (walk-on) a scholly.

I know he was a long shot but i actually liked this kid. I thought he at least had a chance to push for backup if we really wanted to redshirt DD. And seeing A-Day and our supposed backup....didn't change my mind about that. Hopefully Bo stays healthy and DD progresses quickly b/c we're in a ton of trouble if any of the other QBs have to play.

Meh.  Kinda of sucks wrt depth but he didn't have a spot here.

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I know he was a long shot but i actually liked this kid. I thought he at least had a chance to push for backup if we really wanted to redshirt DD. And seeing A-Day and our supposed backup....didn't change my mind about that. Hopefully Bo stays healthy and DD progresses quickly b/c we're in a ton of trouble if any of the other QBs have to play.

I think it makes it clear Dee passed him on the depth chart. Would rather have kept him and let Loy take an early retirement.

Anyways, I really do like Sawyer Pate. He's 6'1" 205 lbs and here's his bio on the AU site:

As a senior, passed for 3,100 yards, 41 TD (plus 5 rush TD) for Coach Mark Freeman at Thompson High, winning the Class 7A state championship … 75% completion percentage … Class 7A Back of the Year … Shelby County male athlete of year and Birmingham player of the year … Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game … also a baseball letterman … member of National Honor Society, Beta Club, Mu Alpha Theta mathematics honor society

The right move for his career. I think Garnett was behind walkons on depth chart. It's unusual that the QB has the lowest composite rating in a class. Wish him well. Seemed like a really good kid with a great attitude.

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I wouldn't be against giving Sawyer Pate (walk-on) a scholly.

We'd have to carry it for 3 more years unless we want to kick him off scholly.  We're probably no where near 85 with all the transfers and I'm not sure we can get there in that time, but it's something to think about.  He's 4th string right now.  Probably even further back once some others get on campus.

2 minutes ago, autan said:

The right move for his career. I think Garnett was behind walkons on depth chart. It's unusual that the QB has the lowest composite rating in a class. Wish him well. Seemed like a really good kid with a great attitude.

Agreed, I think if he picks the right fit he could do really well at a smaller school. Would love to see him at Troy/UAB/SouthAlabama type school.

Guessing he was told best he could be this season was QB4 if he could beat out Pate and Lindsey.

Bo - QB1

Davis or Loy - QB2

Pate or Lindsey QB4

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We'd have to carry it for 3 more years unless we want to kick him off scholly.  We're probably no where near 85 with all the transfers and I'm not sure we can get there in that time, but it's something to think about.  He's 4th string right now.  Probably even further back once some others get on campus.

Actually did the math on this the other day and we're roughly at 82ish scholarship players (the roster is sometimes unclear). 

Unrelated, I'm sure Caylin Newton could have some absolute emergency value at the position as well.

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Actually did the math on this the other day and we're roughly at 82ish scholarship players (the roster is sometimes unclear). 

Unrelated, I'm sure Caylin Newton could have some absolute emergency value at the position as well.

I'm shocked we're that close.

Just now, W.E.D said:

I'm shocked we're that close.

We got a handful of guys using their extra COVID year and we have a MASSIVE senior class.

We'll be a lot lower after this year.

15 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Guessing he was told best he could be this season was QB4 if he could beat out Pate and Lindsey.

Bo - QB1

Davis or Loy - QB2

Pate or Lindsey QB4

He must be really bad if he can't pass Loy. I'm sorry but nothing i saw says Loy is a backup. I know with Harsin we'll be moving to more of a pro style QB but over the next couple of years guys like DD and Garnett being mobile is a nice plus considering our OL is thin and does not pass block well. Until our OL gets much better we're going to need QBs that can move around. Garnett can be similar to Malik IMO so i hope he lands somewhere where he's given the chance to play. 

12 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He must be really bad if he can't pass Loy. I'm sorry but nothing i saw says Loy is a backup. I know with Harsin we'll be moving to more of a pro style QB but over the next couple of years guys like DD and Garnett being mobile is a nice plus considering our OL is thin and does not pass block well. Until our OL gets much better we're going to need QBs that can move around. Garnett can be similar to Malik IMO so i hope he lands somewhere where he's given the chance to play. 

Loy did look horrendous during A-day there's no doubt. I'm sure most assume he's QB2 based on his experience.

Just now, Zeek said:

Loy did look horrendous during A-day there's no doubt. I'm sure most assume he's QB2 based on his experience.

Yep and that scares me. That's why i'm hoping Bo can stay healthy. 

Disappointing. When we signed him, I saw a potential underdog story. Seemed like a hard worker and very bright. Just was very unpolished as a passer. I was kind of hoping he’d come from behind to be a starter in a few years. Oh well. Best of luck to him.

5 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I liked what little I saw of him during QB drills.  Shame he and Davis didn't get more reps during A-day.  Maybe the thought was to keep Loy happy until Fall camp or him missing so much practice time, they needed to see him at A-day to figure it out.  Regardless, this is an understandable decision by Garnett.  Hope he finds great success at his next stop.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:20 PM, USATiger said:

I liked what little I saw of him during QB drills.  Shame he and Davis didn't get more reps during A-day.  Maybe the thought was to keep Loy happy until Fall camp or him missing so much practice time, they needed to see him at A-day to figure it out.  Regardless, this is an understandable decision by Garnett.  Hope he finds great success at his next stop.

There’s no way they aren’t babying Loy to keep him on roster. I would imagine they thought they could do so while maintaining the QB room. Hindsight would dictate you cut that dude loose and just take a risk with your QBs that have a semblance of talent, but it’s a really hard thing to balance in the moment 

Archived