Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Any idea how they came up with the pods?

@steeleaglecan't speak for the SECN but those are the most logical pods based  on protecting at least 1 major rivalry in each pod & geographic symetry in most cases.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Why would they put Auburn and Alabama with Vanderbilt and Tenn?

Protects the AU-Bama rivalry & Vandy's only rival in UTk. And the 4 schools are in neighboring states.

That means we don't play GA every year?

Not necessarily. It's very possible that playing 1 rival from another pod every year is very much on the table.

Why wouldn't Texas be in the same pod with A&M

Because as much as A&M fans want to think otherwise the rivalry is not as competitive as the UTx-OU rivalry. That combined with OU having a much better football resume historically makes that rivalry bigger.

Texas is 76-37 vs A&M & 62-49 vs OU.

• Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to Texas & OU to join SEC

2 hours ago, DAG said:

So what is the point for both of these schools to stay in the big 12 the next four years? I bet both end up paying the 80 million to dip put early

It will be negotiated down and I believe it will only be two years or maybe even one year before they come to the SEC. The other 8 schools aren't going to sit on their rear. It will be a everybody for themselves to move somewhere weather trying to get certain teams from AAC or going Big 10/PAC 12 jmo

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Because as much as A&M fans want to think otherwise the rivalry is not as competitive as the UTx-OU rivalry. That combined with OU having a much better football resume historically makes that rivalry bigger.

I honestly believe the major reason they are doing  this is to appease A&M. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I honestly believe the major reason they are doing  this is to appease A&M. 

Maybe but if pods were done this way I would think it would be more to give OU a competitive rival in their pod. If Texas is in a different pod then OU would not have a preexisting competitive rival. LSU is competitive but not a preexisting rival Mizzou is a preexisting rival but not as competitive.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe but if pods were done this way I would think it would be more to give OU a competitive rival in their pod. If Texas is in a different pod then OU would not have a preexisting competitive rival. LSU is competitive but not a preexisting rival Mizzou is a preexisting rival but not as competitive.

In reality there is no reason why Texas and A&M shouldn’t be in a pod. I am not even thinking about OU in regards to that  

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am not even thinking about OU

Right but very possible the SEC is & may want a major rivalry in each pod. Also I don't think the SECN came up with that pod format on their own. I'd be willing to bet the SEC told the network the pods system & format was a very real possibility.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 1:54 PM, augolf1716 said:

I've actually heard by the time they vote A&M will be the only no vote. Yes Arky and Mizzou don't want UT but they will bend to the pressure of Sankey and the other league members who want UT....

I don't see it being a good thing for Auburn at all.  There are a good many that would like to see us in the East, playing our traditional schedule of Florida & Tennessee every year and I get that.  I am just extremely skeptical when it comes to Texas.  They will demand a larger piece of the pie.  That cannot happen.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:59 AM, gr82be said:

Not that we have it currently but playing Georgia every year in the Pod alignment would cancel out the potential of playing all SEC teams within a two year timeframe.  I am wondering if they try to make that happen. 

Sorry if this has been posted but rather than pods, I like this proposed divisional split. Play the seven teams in your division, two cross divisional games that rotate, one OOC 'big game' (e.g., AU v Penn St), two cupcakes. This way, it's easier to preserve the SECCG because there will not be any dispute over the two teams playing in Atlanta. 

b7d49399-7c1f-47c8-b0cc-4f0a79677cee.jpg

Edited by CT Tiger
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

It will be negotiated down and I believe it will only be two years or maybe even one year before they come to the SEC. The other 8 schools aren't going to sit on their rear. It will be a everybody for themselves to move somewhere weather trying to get certain teams from AAC or going Big 10/PAC 12 jmo

Baylor and A&M are pushing a bill in the Texas legislature to prevent this from happening as well.  This could be interesting in the coming months.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

I don't see it being a good thing for Auburn at all.  There are a good many that would like to see us in the East, playing our traditional schedule of Florida & Tennessee every year and I get that.  I am just extremely skeptical when it comes to Texas.  They will demand a larger piece of the pie.  That cannot happen.

I don't think they will be able to push around the likes of us, Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Texas A&M. This ain't the BIG 12, ya know?

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

It’s more about Texas and Oklahoma willing to play the long game there should the big 12 survive. Pretty sure if they come to the SEC sooner it will be because the big 12 imploded or because a better financial arrangement was made for Texas and Oklahoma to leave given all the power the big 12 would be losing.

I doubt the conference last 2 years.  Most of the other schools have to be scrambling for another destination.  Big 10 and Pac 12 know they need to expand so they will consume some.  The others will essentially move down a level.  When a majority are leaving it is easy to get the votes needed to decrease the penalties.  

• Like 3

Just now, CT Tiger said:

I don't think they will be able to push around the likes of us, Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Texas A&M. This ain't the BIG 12, ya know?

I agree, but they will try.  They will also be forced to merge the Longhorn Network into the SECNetwork somehow/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@steeleaglecan't speak for the SECN but those are the most logical pods based  on protecting at least 1 major rivalry in each pod & geographic symetry in most cases.

Protects the AU-Bama rivalry & Vandy's only rival in UTk. And the 4 schools are in neighboring states.

Not necessarily. It's very possible that playing 1 rival from another pod every year is very much on the table.

That would be a red line for Auburn.  We have to play the uga game every year or we vote No.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

Baylor and A&M are pushing a bill in the Texas legislature to prevent this from happening as well.  This could be interesting in the coming months.

I don't think it will in that regard. The A&M Pres said today or yesterday they ain't leaving the SEC & bring Texas on in. And the A&M AD said today they have moved on from the initial shock & frustration & are ready to play ball against Texas. Also Abbott is a Texas alum & was reported today he knew about Texas reaching out to the SEC a long time ago & is on board with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

I doubt the conference last 2 years.  Most of the other schools have to be scrambling for another destination.  Big 10 and Pac 12 know they need to expand so they will consume some.  The others will essentially move down a level.  When a majority are leaving it is easy to get the votes needed to decrease the penalties.  

Exactly.

8 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I agree, but they will try.  They will also be forced to merge the Longhorn Network into the SECNetwork somehow/

Or with the conference becoming so big the LHN can be reformatted into a 2nd true SEC Network platform.

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That would be a red line for Auburn.  We have to play the uga game every year or we vote No.

As long as We have the Iron Bowl every year, I wouldn't mind giving up the yearly UGA game. with the 9 conf. game/4 team pod proposal we'd still play UGA every other year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That's why I think 1 permanent nonpod rival is on the table. Nearly all of the big 9 in the conference will have a 2nd rival they will want to protect.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I remember reading an article last week mentioning that Texas has accepted losing TLN because it hasn't been as successful as they (or ESPN) hoped anyway. It also said ESPN would likely just merge TLN with the SECNetwork like you said. Maybe SECN 2?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

with the 9 conf. game/4 team pod proposal we'd still play UGA every other year. 

@CoffeeTiger It would actually be 2 in every 4 years with playing 2 years in a row & not playing 2 years in a row due to home-away imbalances a 9 game con sched would cause if teams were alternated every other year.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ellitor said:

@CoffeeTiger It would actually be 2 in every 4 years with playing 2 years in a row & not playing 2 years in a row due to home-away imbalances a 9 game con sched would cause if teams were alternated every other year.

Any idea the % likelihood of pods vs division realignment? 

Just now, CT Tiger said:

Any idea the % likelihood of pods vs division realignment? 

I don't put %s on stuff like thatbut it seems more likely it will be pods instead of divisions at this point.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

As long as We have the Iron Bowl every year, I wouldn't mind giving up the yearly UGA game. with the 9 conf. game/4 team pod proposal we'd still play UGA every other year. 

The SEC, uga and majority of the AU fan base wouldn't give up that game. It has been played much more than the Iron Bowl

21 hours ago, AUwent said:

This would still be the best proposal (if hopefully it's just Texas and Oklahoma joining):

E651yM2WYAcwI5W.jpeg

@DAG Here's another thought on pods C & D being the way the SECN listed them. All 4 teams in each pod have a history with each other. If you put OU in Pod C they don't have a history with the Mississippis or LSU. If Texas is moved to Poc C they don't have a history with the Mississippis.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

It has been played much more than the Iron Bowl

True DSOR has been played much longer but the IB is bigger. If one has to more to a 2 in every 4 years game then it would be the DSOR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1