Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

On 7/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, toddc said:

Texas state lawmakers have voiced concerns to Gov. Greg Abbott about the Texas Longhorns leaving the Big 12, and drafted a bill requiring legislative approval of conference realignment.

Now they’ve gone and gotten the government involved, oh boy!

Abbott is a Texas Grad. He won't stop Texas going to the SEC.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, KnightTiger said:

A little surprised they haven't tried to make Oklahoma drag them along

Both are tied together thru legislature

@KnightTiger No they aren't. That was a popular opinion when expansion happened 10 years ago but it's been reported many times by many reporters last week that OU & OSU are not tied legislatively.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:32 PM, dilligas said:

My guess is if they keep east and west divisions

Word is unlikely at this point.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Can we say no to UTx and yes to UCF

I see what you're doing..................just stop it.

Hate to say it but ucf may come out a big winner down the road some other conference is going to wan to get into FL

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tony4AU said:

Sorry if someone asked and someone answered already.  

If they did four pods.  How would Championship game work??

@Tony4AU Word as of now is the 2 pod champs with the best records. No semis leading to the SECCG.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DAG said:

Bjork said on Saturday that A&M was aware of the potential for expansion in the conference, but that "we were all surprised about the speed and acceleration piece of this. We knew about realignment potential and the future of the Big 12 in particular and what those dynamics were."

Looks like how fast things were going surprised they ags not necessarily the addition of Texas and OU.

Not sure anything he says at this point is believeable.

30 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

We will need to rename the SEC if we get all of these northern conferences.

@abw0004 No we don't. Just change what the letters mean...The Super Elite Conference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just can't wait to see how the basketball season plays out...that's what really has me excited 

Does anyone know how soon they'd be added if they were to get voted in or w/e has to happen? The Texas basketball team this year is freaking nasty, and with how good UK, AU, Alabama and Tenn are...it'd be amazing to get them in the fold 

The vote is tomorrow I hear.   I guess I need to make a couple of calls this evening to fix this mess. 

To all of you - I want to say thanks for your input on these matters.   Your voice is important. 

My final decision is OU will be allowed to enter, Texas is not coming and yes we are going to a pod system.  Auburn will play bama annually, but we will no longer get stuck with the hardest path to Atlanta.  

Oh and we are gonna add UCF so that coach down there can see what Auburn-strong looks like playing FAST.  

"That is all."

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

The vote is tomorrow I hear.   I guess I need to make a couple of calls this evening to fix this mess. 

To all of you - I want to say thanks for your input on these matters.   Your voice is important. 

My final decision is OU will be allowed to enter, Texas is not coming and yes we are going to a pod system.  Auburn will play bama annually, but we will no longer get stuck with the hardest path to Atlanta.  

Oh and we are gonna add UCF so that coach down there can see what Auburn-strong looks like playing FAST.  

"That is all."

Hope he don’t beat us ( even on accident). Maybe Harsin will get the chance to accept a penalty on the opposing coaching staff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Tony4AU Word as of now is the 2 pod champs with the best records. No semis leading to the SECCG

Not fair. Tide has been doing the pod thing for a while now. I call foul. 

Screenshot_20210726-075748~2.png

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just can't wait to see how the basketball season plays out...that's what really has me excited 

Does anyone know how soon they'd be added if t 

I read something a few days ago saying merger in 2025, but I don't remember if it was a reliable source or just a random guy's twitter.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I read something a few days ago saying merger in 2025, but I don't remember if it was a reliable source or just a random guy's twitter.

I think that’s when Texas and Okie contract ends but they’re willing to put about 70 million to get out now if I’m not mistaken.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, DAG said:

what’s up North Carolina State

The SEC is playing hardball right now. If we raided North Carolina it would be for UNC or maybe Duke. Don’t think the SEC is interested in adding what in wrestling is called a mid card teams right now.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, toddc said:

I think that’s when Texas and Okie contract ends but they’re willing to put about 70 million to get out now if I’m not mistaken.

It’s more about Texas and Oklahoma willing to play the long game there should the big 12 survive. Pretty sure if they come to the SEC sooner it will be because the big 12 imploded or because a better financial arrangement was made for Texas and Oklahoma to leave given all the power the big 12 would be losing.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The SEC is playing hardball right now. If we raided North Carolina it would be for UNC or maybe Duke. Don’t think the SEC is interested in adding what in wrestling is called a mid card teams right now.

Yep, we’re looking for Ric Flairs not Buff Bagwells

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

UT and Okie have officially announced they are withdrawing from B12

I don't guess those discussions about how to make life better for OU/TX  in Big 12 will continue like the commissioner said they would on Sunday.  

Oohh i wonder where they will go ... lol. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Beaker said:

"That is all."

Sorry man, I just rolled your call to VM. Ima haff to vote to let the 'Horns in. No hard feelins now, right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, AUwent said:

This would still be the best proposal (if hopefully it's just Texas and Oklahoma joining):

E651yM2WYAcwI5W.jpeg

Any idea how they came up with the pods?

Why would they put Auburn and Alabama with Vanderbilt and Tenn? That means we don't play GA every year? I somehow don't see Au and GA going along with that. We're like distant cousins.

I would love to only play Vandy and Tenn every year. That would be a relief not to play GA and LSU every year.

Why wouldn't Texas be in the same pod with A&M? It would be an instate rivalry...

So what is the point for both of these schools to stay in the big 12 the next four years? I bet both end up paying the 80 million to dip put early

17 hours ago, AUwent said:

This would still be the best proposal (if hopefully it's just Texas and Oklahoma joining):

E651yM2WYAcwI5W.jpeg

I just hope we keep Georgia on the schedule. Wouldn’t be surprised if we lot them though. Modern SEC suits and AD’s/presidents could care less about tradition (and the fans for that matter). 

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Any idea how they came up with the pods?

Why would they put Auburn and Alabama with Vanderbilt and Tenn? That means we don't play GA every year? I somehow don't see Au and GA going along with that. We're like distant cousins.

I would love to only play Vandy and Tenn every year. That would be a relief not to play GA and LSU every year.

Why wouldn't Texas be in the same pod with A&M? It would be an instate rivalry...

I bet the idea was to take the 4 strongest  groups of rivals and place them in separate pods. Then try to balance regionally from there.  OU and Texas together and TAMU mixed with LSU as an SEC rival.  

2 possibilities with rivals like AU/GA in this current setup. Likely scenario is the realization that you will still play every other year, which is not that bad really in continuing a rival.  Or 1 possible scenario is give everyone a permanent crossover as well, which could be tricky to line up for some, and would push hosting everyone to 6 years instead of 4, but can still play everyone in 3 years.