Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

12 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The SEC, uga and majority of the AU fan base wouldn't give up that game. It has been played much more than the Iron Bowl

You're probably right. I'm likely in a small minority.  

I'm a "younger" fan and I've seen Auburn go  5-15  against UGA in the last 20 years (with 9 of those 15 losses not even being competitive), and so it kind of feels less like an intense rivalry and more of a "lets watch AU get their teeth kicked in again" game.  

I wouldn't mind seeing AU get a bit of a break on having one of the hardest schedules in the nation every single year. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm a "younger" fan and I've seen Auburn go  5-15  against UGA in the last 20 years (with 9 of those 15 losses not even being competitive), and so it kind of feels less like an intense rivalry and more of a "lets watch AU get their teeth kicked in again" game.  

I wouldn't mind seeing AU get a bit of a break on having one of the hardest schedules in the nation every single year. 

Yeah, but it goes back to 1892 and the legend of the war eagle is tied to it. Yeah, it makes our schedule that much more brutal each year, but I can't support sacrificing such a longstanding and meaningful rivalry. I could get on board sacrificing our budding rivalry with LSU and no longer play them each year though. We haven't won in Baton Rouge this friggin millennium. 😐 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

They will demand a larger piece of the pie.

That is not going to happen.......I'll bet you any amount of money you want. UT will be equal to Auburn UF or LSU same with OU

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

I doubt the conference last 2 years.  Most of the other schools have to be scrambling for another destination.  Big 10 and Pac 12 know they need to expand so they will consume some.  The others will essentially move down a level.  When a majority are leaving it is easy to get the votes needed to decrease the penalties.  

Yep already happening

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@DAG Here's another thought on pods C & D being the way the SECN listed them. All 4 teams in each pod have a history with each other. If you put OU in Pod C they don't have a history with the Mississippis or LSU. If Texas is moved to Poc C they don't have a history with the Mississippis.

This looks like the most competitive of the bunch 

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Baylor and A&M are pushing a bill in the Texas legislature to prevent this from happening as well.  This could be interesting in the coming months.

Its going to happen may as well get ready for it.

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

It would definitely be odd not to play Georgia every year, but I could like with every other year. The competitive disadvantage of the current schedule is real.

The Iron Bowl is the only thing to me that absolutely cannot change and there's no way it will. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

48 minutes ago, cbo said:

It would definitely be odd not to play Georgia every year, but I could like with every other year. The competitive disadvantage of the current schedule is real.

The Iron Bowl is the only thing to me that absolutely cannot change and there's no way it will. 

The series was already ruined by 1) our lack of competitiveness in it and 2) the rotation pattern being flipped.

Alternating between "the Cocktail Twins" would be nice.

Edited by AUwent

No way we would lose UGA or Bama. I know I would hate to lose the annual UGA game and I imagine they feel the same 

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

No way we would lose UGA or Bama. I know I would hate to lose the annual UGA game and I imagine they feel the same 

I wouldn't. Playing them half the time and the jorts the other half would be juuuuuuuust fine.

I'd be accepting of us and UAT in the east, mind you--because at least then we wouldn't have such a uniquely tough schedule each year (unless, god forbid, UAT pouts about keeping the LSU rivalry and they end up assigning us the Land Thieves).

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, cbo said:

It would definitely be odd not to play Georgia every year, but I could like with every other year. The competitive disadvantage of the current schedule is real

Every other year is not an option unless we are in the same division or pod with Georgia for it to be every year or if we are in different divisions or pods then to play them every other year the conference schedule will have to be an even number at eight or 10. The home and road balances don’t work out with a non-game schedule to pay them every other year if we are not in the same division or pods.

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I wouldn't. Playing them half the time and the jorts the other half would be juuuuuuuust fine.

I'd be accepting of us and UAT in the east, mind you--because at least then we wouldn't have such a uniquely tough schedule each year (unless, god forbid, UAT pouts about keeping the LSU rivalry and they end up assigning us the Land Thieves).

Well I know you wouldn’t for a couple of reasons. But I enjoy the traditional of the rivalry and I think most do. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I know you wouldn’t for a couple of reasons. But I enjoy the traditional of the rivalry and I think most do. 

Could we just wave the white flag and agree to travel to Athens this year so we can get the series moved back how it should be?

Edited by AUwent

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Could we just wave the white flag and agree to travel to Athens this year so we can get the series moved back how it should be?

well we are at risk of it not consistently happening so you may get your wish. I, for one, think that would be a huge mistake. What people need to get is talent and winning happens in waves. The moment we lose the annual game and UGA becomes inconsistent then people will be all up in arms because we ended the longest southern rivalry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

well we are at risk of it not consistently happening so you may get your wish. I, for one, think that would be a huge mistake. What people need to get is talent and winning happens in waves. The moment we lose the annual game and UGA becomes inconsistent then people will be all up in arms because we ended the longest southern rivalry.

I get that, but it wouldn't be like right now where we only play UF twice every fourteen years. It'd be closer to '02-11 when we played them twice every five--a little better, actually. But if we somehow keep playing them every year, we NEED to get it back in JHS on even years (not getting either of our biggest rivals at home on even has messed up tradition enough). And in that case, two divisions would be better. We're not really that close with anyone in the would-be west anymore like we were with LSU in the aughts (and I miss those games very badly), so only seeing them and the Misses twice in eight years would be more forgivable.

Edited by AUwent

It’s not like we’re gonna replace Georgia with someone easy. We’d either play UT, who’s gonna at least have a good bit of talent between NIL money, SEC money, and Sark or OU out that pod OR

Florida 

they’re not gonna replace Georgia with some bum 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Baylor and A&M are pushing a bill in the Texas legislature to prevent this from happening as well.  This could be interesting in the coming months.

I explained above why this won't work this time around. Texas state government under Ann Richards (Baylor) with a TTU grad at speaker of the house blocked UT from leaving without Baylor and TTU from the SWC when it imploded. That's how we got the current B12. That stuck in Texas' craw, especially when ATM was able to bolt for the SEC a few years later after Richards was gone. Now with the Dems in the Texas legislature off fundraising and super-spreading COVID in DC, there is no opportunity to pass anything. Governor, Lt Governor, and Speaker of the House will all favor the move. The legislature will just rattle sabres, and that's it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Its going to happen may as well get ready for it.

Nope, it's not. Texas had the wisdom way back when to make their legislature part-time. Less time for them to meddle in the citizens' affairs that way. The current session will be extended until the COVID carriers come back from DC and vote on the voting bill, then it will end very quickly and the legislature will not be in session again until well after this is a done deal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Nope, it's not. Texas had the wisdom way back when to make their legislature part-time. Less time for them to meddle in the citizens' affairs that way. The current session will be extended until the COVID carriers come back from DC and vote on the voting bill, then it will end very quickly and the legislature will not be in session again until well after this is a done deal. 

Uh that's what I was saying its going to happen UT/OU to the SEC guaranteed sorry not to express it correctly

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

@TigerHorn does any of that stuff even matter with governor Abbet being a Texas alarm and now reportedly supposedly knowing about Texas and OU going to the SEC About joining our conference most of the time in the process and being on board with it?

My concern is when we let Texas into the tent they will have an agenda to bring in more high budget/ media friendly schools (FSU Clemson OSU PSU M USC and Oregon) to form a super conference of their design.

When they accomplish that step they will orchestrate to push Vandy MSU OM and USCe out  and force the SEC to change its name to the something akin to "The Longhorn Network".

Look at the history of college football since the SIAC devolved into the Southern Conference which devolved into the SEC which evolved into a super conference that is willing to chunk 100 year old rivalry games.  It has always been about the money.

When the status quo changes (gate receipts, radio revenue, bowl revenue, TV revenue now NIL revenue) the conferences change with the big eating the small.

You know it’s not just football to look at:

UT Men’s sports:

Track and Field got 1st at B12 indoor & Outdoor and 6th at NCAA outdoor Championship

Baseball 50-17 went to semifinals in Omaha

Basketball 19-8 won the B12 basketball tournament but lost 1st round of NCAA tournament 

Golf 3rd in B12 & 25th at NCAA

Swimming and diving 1st in B12 and 1st at NCAA Championships 

Tennis 24-6 had a few make it NCAA tournament 

UT Women’s Sports:

Volleyball 27-2 record lost in National Championship to Kentucky.

Track & Field got 1st at B12 indoor & Outdoor and tied for 6th at NCAA outdoor championship

Tennis team record of 31-1 winning B12 title and having players advance to NCAA title match in singles and doubles.

Swimming & Diving won the B12 and finished 3rd at NCAA National Championships

Softball 43-14 and went to a Super regional

Basketball 21-10 and won 3 games in March Madness before getting mud stomped by S. Carolina in game 4 of the elite 8.

OU Mens Sports: 

Baseball 27-28 (Beat us 4-3)

Basketball 16-11 made it to 2nd round of NCAA tournament and ran into Gonzaga

Golf 2nd in B12 and 2nd at NCAA tournament 

Tennis 11-15

OU Women’s Sports:

Softball 56-4 B12 champion and schools 5th National Championship 

Gymnastics 2nd in B12 and 2nd at NCAA tournament 

Basketball 12-12

Golf 4th in B12 and 7Th at NCAA National Championships

Tennis 15-7 made it to NCAA tournament but exit in the first day

Volleyball 4-14

Soccer 1-12-1

7 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

As long as We have the Iron Bowl every year, I wouldn't mind giving up the yearly UGA game. with the 9 conf. game/4 team pod proposal we'd still play UGA every other year. 

This

On 7/24/2021 at 4:11 PM, TigerHorn said:

You mean like the time that Gov Ann Richards blocked Texas from going to the B12 without Baylor and TTU? Oh wait, she was a Democrat......not to mention Texas' worst & most unpopular governor of modern times. 

It happened before, and there is a real chance it will happen again this time. What are the chances?

This time, the Speaker of the House is a Texas Ex. Lt Gov Dan Patrick, the most powerful member of the state gov, is a U of Maryland alum and also a sports aficionado (owned sports bars and was a sportscaster at one point). He will understand the business side of it I suspect. Governor Abbot is a Texas Ex and Vandy law school alum, so I suspect he favors this regardless of what he might say in public with reelection looming.

So, in summary, I don't see the will at the state level to stop this, unlike the previous realignment, where Ann Richards (Baylor) and the Speaker of the House (TTU) were both grads of schools that would have been left out. 

Believe it or not, we are all Americans.  Imagine that.