3 Permanent Opponents and 9 game conf schedule

ValleyTiger

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To us older fans It's not a true rivalry. At least not like Bama & UGA is. Almost every power in the conference would have to give up their 3rd biggest rivals to playing them in 2 of 4 years for the sake of competitive balance in this format.

And even now it’s nowhere near what it was during the Tubs era. :(

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

@ValleyTiger I'm definitely  a no division 3-6 guy but How so? Put a major rivalry in each of the 4 pods & the pods should be fairly balanced

AU, Bama, Vols, Vandy
UF, UGA, UK, SC
Texas, OU, Mizzou, Arky
A&M, LSU, Rebs, & MSU.

I don't see a super easy pod in there.

No, but you're giving up the TDSOR annually (among others) which we know isn't good for the league or TV deals.

He didn't propose it. That idea has been on the interwebs for at least 5 years. Was a 3-5 model before we added Texas & OU.

Ok, but he's been the most vocal out of the Auburn-sphere that I've heard against the pods and/or divisions. What's your point?

SIAS but couldn't rotate the 6/6 every year because of home & road imbalances a 9 game con sched causes you have to play the same 6 2 years in a row & the other 6 in years 3 & 4. It would be playing every team in 2 of 4 years but not every other year.

You can literally do it either way 1st set of rotating 6 in year 1 and 2 or year 1 and year 3. Really doesn't matter bc in a 9 game conf schedule every team is playing same number of home conf games in a 4 year period.

Edited by ValleyTiger

9 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

No, but you're giving up the TDSOR annually (among others) which we know isn't good for the league or TV deals.

I agree which i why I think if we do go to pods 1 out of pod permanent rival will be kept yearly.

What's your point?

What I said in my OP. He didn't propose it. He is piggybacking of an old idea.

Just doing my anal facts thing. Pay it no mind.

You can literally do it either way 1st set of rotating 6 in year 1 and 2 or year 1 and year 3

You're right. I think I had it stuck in my head from the old 3-5 model with both being odd numbers making it to where rotations would have to be don 2 years at a time instead of every other year for the non permanents..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I agree which i why I think if we do go to pods 1 out of pod permanent rival will be kept yearly.

That messes up the 6/6 rotation of opponents outside of each pod tho which is why pods simply isn't the best choice IMHO.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:04 AM, ellitor said:

To us older fans It's not a true rivalry. At least not like Bama & UGA is. Almost every power in the conference would have to give up their 3rd biggest rivals to playing them in 2 of 4 years for the sake of competitive balance in this format.

Of course it isn’t like bammer & Georgia. But LSU has provided the closest games of any opponent. 

On 7/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, autiger88 said:

Why Mississippi State for us I would rather have LSU 🤷

MSU is a long time rival. LSU only became a rival when divisions were created. AU used to only occasionally play LSU and Ole Miss, but have always played MSU. 

Edited by johnjacob
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, johnjacob said:

MSU is a long time rival. LSU only became a rival when divisions were created. AU used to only occasionally play LSU and Ole Miss, but have always played MSU. 

I answered this in my earlier post 😎

16 hours ago, johnjacob said:

Just because we play them a lot doesn't make them a rival.  As a wise man once told me:

"A hammer and a nail is not a rivalry."

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

That messes up the 6/6 rotation of opponents outside of each pod tho which is why pods simply isn't the best choice IMHO.

Agree but this is the SEC & that means they don't always make the best scheduling decisions. For example, pods is supposedly the way they are leaning now.

16 hours ago, Viper said:

Of course it isn’t like bammer & Georgia. But LSU has provided the closest games of any opponent. 

So. It will be fine playing them every other year if we go to a 3-6 model with or without pods. If we stick with divisions we likely see them only once in 4 years.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Just because we play them a lot doesn't make them a rival.  As a wise man once told me:

"A hammer and a nail is not a rivalry."

See Texas A&M to Texas. #AggieBurn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

So. It will be fine playing them every other year if we go to a 3-6 model with or without pods. If we stick with divisions we likely see them only once in 4 years.

Not a fan of losing LSU every year. Not just the ultra-competitive games, but it lessens our chances of ever winning in BR again. 

18 hours ago, johnjacob said:

LSU only became a rival when divisions were created.

Not true entirely. 1988 and 1989 were both ultra-competitive games. Those two games ignited another instant rival, which basically took the place of Florida and FSU on a rivalry level.

Edited by Viper

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Not a fan of losing LSU every year. Not just the ultra-competitive games, but it lessens our chances of ever winning in BR again. 

@Viper There's likely no scenario where we keep LSU every year. It's likely 1 in every 2 years or 1 in ever 4. The Iron Bowl will be protected yearly 1st. If there is a 2nd protected yearly it will be UGA. There likely won't be a 3rd rival protected yearly.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Viper There's likely no scenario where we keep LSU every year. It's likely 1 in every 2 years or 1 in ever 4. The Iron Bowl will be protected yearly 1st. If there is a 2nd protected yearly it will be UGA. There likely won't be a 3rd rival protected yearly.

You might be right, but I’ll reserve my stance that somehow someway we keep LSU annually. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

You might be right, but I’ll reserve my stance that somehow someway we keep LSU annually. 

We don’t recruit much in Louisiana, we gotta in in Georgia!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Viper said:

Guess we better do it this year lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

We don’t recruit much in Louisiana, we gotta in in Georgia!!

Of course most of our recruiting comes from Georgia and we’ll keep that series. I hope we keep the LSU series too. 

On 7/29/2021 at 9:50 PM, ValleyTiger said:

Florida: Georgia, LSU, Tennessee

Georgia: Florida, Auburn, South Carolina

Kentucky: South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State

South Carolina: Georgia, Missouri, Kentucky

Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU

Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi State

Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Alabama, Florida

Vanderbilt: Kentucky, Tennessee, Ole Miss

LSU: Florida, Alabama, Ole Miss

Mississippi State: Ole Miss, Auburn, Kentucky

Ole Miss: Vanderbilt, Mississippi State. LSU