Dedicated practices for redshirts/scout team

Barnacle

32 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Was reading about this on another board, but apparently Harsin hosts a practice on Sunday afternoons for redshirts and scout team only (basically anyone who doesn't dress to play on Saturdays), allowing dedicated time for those players to receive coaching. I'm not sure if other programs do this, but I think its brilliant from a player development standpoint. SIAP, but thought I'd pass it along. 

You're right -- it is brilliant.  What better way to keep those guys engaged & a valued part of the team?  I also thought Harsin's plan for the 1st scrimmage was equally brilliant:  run a little over 100 plays & divide them equally among 1st/2nd/3rd strings.  Everyone gets a shot at showing out & being evaluated.  This reinforces the team concept & expectations that everyone should know their job.    

• Like 4

Thank you for the info. That is outstanding for a variety of reasons, not least of which is just honoring those guys for their dedication to the university and not just leaving it to somebody else 'til they're worthy of his glorious gaze.' Relationships matter. "I never got to play on that scout team, son, but I loved it and you as a five star are sure as hell going to my Auburn."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Coach Jordan used to do this every Sunday for the players who didn't get into Saturday's game. Shug's was a scrimmage. It was called "The Toilet Bowl" by those haughty souls who had played Saturday and thus were privileged to stand on the sideline and watch.

Love that story. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Harsin gets it. We may not win big for a year or two, but he's laying the foundation for us to be consistently disciplined and hard working. All that's left to add is some solid recruiting classes and we flirt with being elite year in and year out. I love it. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, DAG said:

HAHAHA this guy ceases to amaze me. I love it.

I think it's going to be awhile before we- or I, at least- stop getting "surprised" by things that real, experienced, complete program runners do.

Like... I know that there are a lot of things we haven't been doing. The biggest one that has stood out to me is seeking input from the best in the business and even gleaning interdisciplinary bits of wisdom. The one that sticks with me the most is saban having his players take an improv class to improve communication. (The foundation of improv comedy is being able to really listen to what the other actors are saying.) That's innovation. That's how the best keep getting better and keep showing up prepared week after week, year after year. The results in their camp and ours both spoke for themselves. I just don't know what other things the really successful programs have been doing and it's exciting to find out as Harsin keeps building. 

If you think about it, the last time we had true stability and a complete program running on all cylinders was during Tuberville's mid-aughts heyday. The sport has changed a LOT in the 15 years since. 2010 and 2013 were glorious, but it's clear that they were born of chaos and good fortune more than attention to detail and structural integrity. So hell yes, we should be enjoying this. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@DAG @McLoofus

Here's one I heard on a talk show yesterday. Why did we have a white out against Akron (something we never do), and for a game that wasn't even nationally televised? Fun for the fans? Or, was it to try and simulate PSU and what that atmosphere will look/feel like? 

We really need the "wow" reaction. Because, while that is certainly an optimistic take, it's not even remotely crazy to suggest. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We really need the "wow" reaction. Because, while that is certainly an optimistic take, it's not even remotely crazy to suggest. 

Thought the exact same thing, looking for that reaction icon.

For that matter, we also need a WTF?! icon that would come in handy in an increasing number of threads :) 

Edited by AUx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AUx said:

Thought the exact same thing, looking for that reaction icon.

For that matter, we also need a WTF?! icon that would come in handy in an increasing number of threads :) 

I want that in a real life thought bubble that appears above my head. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@DAG @McLoofus

Here's one I heard on a talk show yesterday. Why did we have a white out against Akron (something we never do), and for a game that wasn't even nationally televised? Fun for the fans? Or, was it to try and simulate PSU and what that atmosphere will look/feel like? 

This did not even cross my mind but Wow at the attention to detail if there is truth to it!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

charles barkley chuck GIF by NBA on TNT

let us not be disiin sir charles. also i think allen greene did a hell of a job hiring out new coach. i did not truly realize how down i was with auburn football until coach started showing me the way back up with just common sense little things. i believe he honestly cares about his players and i think they realize that. there is hardly a day goes by i do not read or hear something that makes me go wow! and now giving the lesser among the team in the pecking order of things is getting extra coaching to help them succeed. that is just outstanding. but i come back to greene with him hiring harsin and bruce he might have just signed two of the greatest coaches ever at auburn. i know it is early for harsin but he sure is headed in the right direction. plus we might not have to ever see that prairie dog look on offense any more. i hated to see our kids line up and then just stop and look at the side lines like someone broke gas or something.

i hope he was playing with sir charles. i would hate to think he is being made fun of.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I think it's going to be awhile before we- or I, at least- stop getting "surprised" by things that real, experienced, complete program runners do.

Like... I know that there are a lot of things we haven't been doing. The biggest one that has stood out to me is seeking input from the best in the business and even gleaning interdisciplinary bits of wisdom. The one that sticks with me the most is saban having his players take an improv class to improve communication. (The foundation of improv comedy is being able to really listen to what the other actors are saying.) That's innovation. That's how the best keep getting better and keep showing up prepared week after week, year after year. The results in their camp and ours both spoke for themselves. I just don't know what other things the really successful programs have been doing and it's exciting to find out as Harsin keeps building. 

If you think about it, the last time we had true stability and a complete program running on all cylinders was during Tuberville's mid-aughts heyday. The sport has changed a LOT in the 15 years since. 2010 and 2013 were glorious, but it's clear that they were born of chaos and good fortune more than attention to detail and structural integrity. So hell yes, we should be enjoying this. 

Good reference using Saban.

I remember his first few years, and all the info coming out about his disciplined style of coaching, his 'process'(that many made jokes about), and the different ways he found to prepare his players and be disciplined, focused and tough.

Many thought Saban was going to burn out his players with that tough approach in all things. Well, we now know it works very well.

Whether as you said, Harsin is successful in the long run remains to be seen, we all really like what he has brought so far in teaching, discipline, and any way it takes to develop a winning program.

And  I was pleasantly surprised to see the players sharply dressed up during Tiger Walk, and very happy not to see fire drill substitutions on the field Saturday night. :)

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Coach Jordan used to do this every Sunday for the players who didn't get into Saturday's game. Shug's was a scrimmage. It was called "The Toilet Bowl" by those haughty souls who had played Saturday and thus were privileged to stand on the sideline and watch.

This only proves that Harsin is *old school* in ways that will improve the Auburn’s football program.  It is great to be an Auburn Tiger with a new forward facing, old school coach.

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Or, was it to try and simulate PSU and what that atmosphere will look/feel like? 

This crossed my mind.  

7 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Harsin gets it. We may not win big for a year or two, but he's laying the foundation for us to be consistently disciplined and hard working. All that's left to add is some solid recruiting classes and we flirt with being elite year in and year out. I love it. 

This right here.. all of it. 👍🏻

This is the kind of idea that is so perfect, you can't believe everyone is not doing it. Just a win all around, for everyone involved. Especially in the age of the transfer portal, where it's important to keep everyone engaged. 

Harsin, you have charmed me. 

11 hours ago, Barnacle said:

@DAG @McLoofus

For what it is worth, we have had a white out before.  We had one in 2019.