DC

TigerPAC

I'm ready to part ways with Mason.

Failure to switch from a defense or offense that's clearly not working and to make necessary adjustments is grounds for dismissal.

• Like 2

I have a theory he can't (won't) adjust the 2nd half if the 1st half goes right like TAMU and State. They've made some killer adjustments this year but always when they're getting killed early.

6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

His whole D is predicated on the other team making a mistake.  Rogers made very few in the 2nd half, and when he did the refs bailed him out 4 or 5 Xs.  Mason has to go…saves important blitzes for too late in the drive/game.

That blitz on the 5-yard line when he gave up the score was a thing of beauty. Played 3-man rush the entire drive but for that useless call.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No reason to limit this thread to Mason.

Bobo should be getting s*** on repeatedly too

Not saying Bobo is all-world but he did spot Mason a 25-point lead. 

Guest MustardSeed
20 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Not saying Bobo is all-world but he did spot Mason a 25-point lead. 

Yeah, it’s quite silly to put equal blame on the offense for “only” putting up 34 points and nearly 500 yards. They didn’t have a great second half but they did enough to win the game. Period. This loss is solely on Mason. As long as he stays many many more will come.  I tried to warn folks. The guy literally hired Ted Roof just last year as the guy he thought best to help save his job after taking over the best Vandy team in decades and turning it into one of the worst. Should really be all you need fo know. The man hasn’t coached a decent defense in nearly a decade, and that defense was a hand me down. He has literally zero proof of success he can point to in his entire career he can claim was due to him.  I tried to back off and gave the man props for a solid 2nd half 2 weeks ago and a solid 1st half last week, but that’s 10 billion percent over. 
We literally just gave up 40 points to Mississippi State in just over a half…gave up a TD on SIX STRAIGHT DRIVES (not including the 3 play one before the half running out of time) and a short missed fg on the 7th. 
There is no excuse anywhere in any book for what just happened. You have to look at signs of growth or lack of for the future and this wasn’t just a sign, it was a nuclear bomb. I’m not sure he’s good enough to be a position coach in D1

I just can't take Mason's philosophy. Two years ago our defense could go toe to toe against Burrow. Mason is a smart guy but needs to get way more aggressive. This isn't Vandy where you have to play super conservative. I'm much more on the fence with Bobo. I think he's competent and much better than people on here say. I won't be too upset if he leaves, but it will need to be a clear upgrade who meshes with Harsin such as Jeff Grimes, who could also rebuild the line. Special teams coordinator must change. Watts either needs to go or do EDGE full time. 

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

I just can't take Mason's philosophy. Two years ago our defense could go toe to toe against Burrow. Mason is a smart guy but needs to get way more aggressive. This isn't Vandy where you have to play super conservative. I'm much more on the fence with Bobo. I think he's competent and much better than people on here say. I won't be too upset if he leaves, but it will need to be a clear upgrade who meshes with Harsin such as Jeff Grimes, who could also rebuild the line. Special teams coordinator must change. Watts either needs to go or do EDGE full time. 

What exactly is Mason’ philosophy?  What were we trying to do today? Wreaks of stubbornness...Lord knows we’ve had enough of that 

27 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

What exactly is Mason’ philosophy?  What were we trying to do today? Wreaks of stubbornness...Lord knows we’ve had enough of that 

The only thing I can think of was that he was bending like they have done all year and thought he could hold them to field goals.   By the time it got to 28-23 and the offense didn’t match their scoring, the game was going to be lost.  What is really concerning is that with 8 guys covering four or five and they are inside the 5, how do receivers get wide open in  only 12 yards of space?

How many QBs had their best game against us this year? All of them???? Seriously. I am going to look it up but I think Ga st, penn st, LSU, Tam, and Miss St QBs had their best games of the season all again AU. 

38 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Wreaks of stubbornness...Lord knows we’ve had enough of that 

No kidding. We could’ve just kept the last coaching staff in lived with 8-4 or or 7-5 seasons for the next decade. We all wanted something different. This might be worse. God help us if we turn into Tennessee or Florida state or Nebraska.

Guest MustardSeed
31 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

It’s the same one he had at Vandy. Take a decent defense and utterly destroy it. Not sure if that’s a philosophy but it’s sure the result. Again.  All anyone has to do is go look at Vandys defensive stats and how they progressed over his 8 or so years there and anyone who does may just realize he never had a clue how to coach defense in the SEC and should have never been hired based off his own resume.  If there is one main thing I fault Harsin for when he came in it is hiring Mason. It’s literally downright impossible to look at his defensive record at Vandy and how it progressively got horrendously worse year over year and ever justify making him a DC. Now Harsin has to man up again and make another change. If he doesn’t make this change he might not be here in 2 years. I honestly believe that to be the case and believe it’s that important to make the move before spring. This team cannot possibly afford the recovery process Vandy is currently going through. 

31 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

No kidding. We could’ve just kept the last coaching staff in lived with 8-4 or or 7-5 seasons for the next decade. We all wanted something different. This might be worse. God help us if we turn into Tennessee or Florida state or Nebraska.

That is absolute loser thinking. That is also why we kept Gus for way longer than we should of. Who cares if you are 8-4 or 7-5 instead of 4-8 or 5-7 both are not where we want to be. You don't not make a move because you are scared of what will happen when you shake things up and make a change. You ALWAYS shoot your shot. If a change needs to be made you do it. Scared money don't make no money.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

I'd love to bring Boom back at DC and then McGee as OC (or better yet, Matt Luke--that might turn around our OC rating), but I know the chances of that happening are low. : /

WTF are you hell bent on hiring 2 dudes who have never called a play in their life at the major college football level. Please explain this absolute asinine idea. You hire those 2 dudes as recruiters. Not to call plays.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, clwn said:

Where did you get that from what I said? If you know Bobo's offenses from his years at UGA you know it has a lot of under center and play action. Well, when we do run those it usually works quite well. Even some toss sweeps out of the I work well. Now you see us in 5 wide and other shotgun formations being pass happy, that's Harsin's Boise St. pass happy approach. We don't have Kellen Moore as QB. We do have 3 great Running Backs though that for some reason go away after we show we're running the ball well. Look at the first half of this meltdown game. 

As for as Defense your guess is as good as mine. Their QB had time to fix a lunch and run some errands before finding a wide open receiver. It still falls on Harsin's shoulders. He's got the headset on and knows what's being called on every play of the game. He can either override it or go with it. 

If last weeks performance and decision making didn't open your eyes then this 25 point blown lead at home epic failure of a game should. Look at that 2pt conversion call. You kick the extra point every time in that spot to keep the game within one score so you don't have to rely on a possible onside kick to get 2 scores. The odds are never in your favor when relying on onside kicks.

Ummmm we absolutely should of thrown the ball more this game. We are still running and doing a lot of a traditional Bobo offense that he did at Georgia. GUESS WHAT?!?! It is really hard to run the ball when you have one of the worst OL in the power 5 and there are no running lanes consistently all game. We tried to establish the run in the second half much to our detriment because Bo was on fire and we were absolutely annihilating them and gashing them through the air.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is absolute loser thinking. That is also why we kept Gus for way longer than we should of. Who cares if you are 8-4 or 7-5 instead of 4-8 or 5-7 both are not where we want to be. You don't not make a move because you are scared of what will happen when you shake things up and make a change. You ALWAYS shoot your shot. If a change needs to be made you do it.

Not only that , this same guy is above average at UCF yet there is still this logic. I keep repeating this but these are the same guys who settle for the average girl because they got burnt a couple of times. With that being said , this coaching staff needs to take a long hard look at themselves because that was flat out embarrassing 

Edited by DAG
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WTF are you hell bent on hiring 2 dudes who have never called a play in their life at the major college football level. Please explain this absolute asinine idea. You hire those 2 dudes as recruiters. Not to call plays.

Because they could...I don't know, recruit? Something we desperately need?

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Because they could...I don't know, recruit? Something we desperately need?

And them having no play calling experience does not trouble you whatsoever? Auburn is not a place where a coach cuts his teeth learning to be a play caller for the first time. We have the luxury of getting experienced coordinator's. If 1 experienced coordinator does not work we will just go find another. I would love either of them as a position coach not as the actual play caller.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

And them having no play calling experience does not trouble you whatsoever? Auburn is not a place where a coach cuts his teeth learning to be a play caller for the first time. We have the luxury of getting experienced coordinator's. If 1 experienced coordinator does not work we will just go find another. I would love either of them as a position coach not as the actual play caller.

Fair. I'm just so desperate for some actual good recruiting.

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Fair. I'm just so desperate for some actual good recruiting.

ImpoliteAdventurousBedbug-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ummmm we absolutely should of thrown the ball more this game. We are still running and doing a lot of a traditional Bobo offense that he did at Georgia. GUESS WHAT?!?! It is really hard to run the ball when you have one of the worst OL in the power 5 and there are no running lanes consistently all game. We tried to establish the run in the second half much to our detriment because Bo was on fire and we were absolutely annihilating them and gashing them through the air.

When you're up 25 points at home and playing a team who passes the ball like 90% of the time. You have the game basically in your hand. You run the ball, which we were doing fine in first half. And yes, Bo Nix was on fire first half but you could see they were finally putting pressure on him and he was throwing off target more plus receivers started dropping passes again. Makes establishing the run even more critical. Clock management. Even if you don't come away with points, you just aim for long drives to kill the clock and keep their offense off the field. Easy win it should have been when we got up 25 points.

Of course they are going to adjust 2nd half, but that doesn't mean you don't try more or switch it up. You saw we kept calling the same 3 running plays, we got more than that in the playbook.

How could you want more passing? Miss. St. threw it 55x and we threw it 41x. We only ran it 27x and guess what, Miss. St. ran it 19x. This game was lost on Coaching as usual.

Y'all need to put a filter on this stupidity. Just like you are willing to give CBH time the same should be afforded CDM. 

I've said this a couple of times but WE HIT THE TRANSFER PORTAL FOR DB'S AND D LINEMEN? Why do you think that was? SMH at knee jerk reactors...

6 hours ago, au302 said:

We out-played LSU two years ago. SEC officials just were not gonna let us win that game. We also beat Saban just two years ago. Now we suddenly have no players, no talent etc. etc. etc.

On a side-note: Kiffin beat Texas A&M today with at least some second and third stringers and walk on’s. Would never want Kiffin on the plains but that guy can coach!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clwn said:

When you're up 25 points at home and playing a team who passes the ball like 90% of the time. You have the game basically in your hand. You run the ball, which we were doing fine in first half. And yes, Bo Nix was on fire first half but you could see they were finally putting pressure on him and he was throwing off target more plus receivers started dropping passes again. Makes establishing the run even more critical. Clock management. Even if you don't come away with points, you just aim for long drives to kill the clock and keep their offense off the field. Easy win it should have been when we got up 25 points.

Of course they are going to adjust 2nd half, but that doesn't mean you don't try more or switch it up. You saw we kept calling the same 3 running plays, we got more than that in the playbook.

How could you want more passing? Miss. St. threw it 55x and we threw it 41x. We only ran it 27x and guess what, Miss. St. ran it 19x. This game was lost on Coaching as usual.

Not 100% sure but I think Mississippi State scored on six straight possessions. Six straight scores with almost 0 defense adjustments.