Question that I haven’t seen mentioned

aubaseball

How can a team attempt 55 passes and the other team drop 8 into coverage almost every play and not get one interception?   I sat and watch a defense with two spies most of the game and neither could react in time to pick off a pass.    There was one should have been a pick and drop by Smoke.   Other than that, I don’t recall being anywhere close to an interception. 

I saw several plays inside the 10 when AU only rushed 3 and only had to defend 15 yards of field with 8 and guys were still running free.  

13 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

How can a team attempt 55 passes and the other team drop 8 into coverage almost every play and not get one interception?   I sat and watch a defense with two spies most of the game and neither could react in time to pick off a pass.    There was one should have been a pick and drop by Smoke.   Other than that, I don’t recall being anywhere close to an interception. 

I saw several plays inside the 10 when AU only rushed 3 and only had to defend 15 yards of field with 8 and guys were still running free.  

I got no excuses for our defenders other than their QB did a great job of scanning the field, going thru his checks and putting the ball where it needed to be.  I know they showed a replay where it looked like he checked through 4 or 5 different receivers while pivoting in one spot and delivered a pass on point.... and of course there was zero pressure the entire time.  It was horrifying and impressive to watch at the same time.

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 4

Just a numbers game. When you spend the entire day rushing 3, you can consistently leave only 5 blockers, meaning 6 receivers for 8 guys...but those 8 guys are playing zone. Zone defense always has gaps, and with more players out there, more people to exploit those gaps. Not to mention the D plays so off (I was raging during an early drive on 3rd and 10 when the WR ran to the sticks and stood there and our DB was 4 yards away - if the WR knows where the down and distance is, so should the DB) that what was happening was these gaps in zone were always 8-12 yards down the field. MSST had a total of 4 third downs during the second half, and that's why. We were giving up way too much cushion, and then when things went sideways we played as undisciplined a game as I can remember an AU secondary playing, playing hero ball vs tightening up.

There was absolutely no disguising what was going on, either, so the QB never had to rethink about whether he wanted to leave a RB in for extra blocking.

Air Raid is specifically designed to counteract pass rush, but that doesn't mean that you keep trying what isn't working.

• Like 4

We’re just not very good. Despite what many say on this board, Gus didn’t leave much to work with. It’s gonna take a few years to clean up his mess. I hope they give Harsin enough time to do it

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

you can consistently leave only 5 blockers, meaning 6 receivers for 8 guys

Someone has to throw the ball, it's 8 covering 5.

Idk how terrible we must be at zone when we've got 3 or 4 extra defenders and constantly have guys open

It's pretty simple, pass rushers. The numbers could possibly make it more difficult if you are making a guy throw before he wants to. If you aren't doing that numbers doesn't matter. 

That goes for d line as well. Doesn't matter if you rush 4 as opposed to 3 when you don't have a guy that's good at rushing. If you don't have a guy that can win a one on one battle.....you are in trouble. We don't have the size, talent or the depth on d line

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's pretty simple, pass rushers. The numbers could possibly make it more difficult if you are making a guy throw before he wants to. If you aren't doing that numbers doesn't matter. 

That goes for d line as well. Doesn't matter if you rush 4 as opposed to 3 when you don't have a guy that's good at rushing. If you don't have a guy that can win a one on one battle.....you are in trouble. We don't have the size, talent or the depth on d line

It has been a hot minute since we had a legit pass rusher. It is really sad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep.  Sensei Mud was the last solid one.  Wish he would've stayed at Auburn for his senior season.  He was so fun to watch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I got no excuses for our defenders other than their QB did a great job of scanning the field, going thru his checks and putting the ball where it needed to be.  I know they showed a replay where it looked like he checked through 4 or 5 different receivers while pivoting in one spot and delivered a pass on point.... and of course there was zero pressure the entire time.  It was horrifying and impressive to watch at the same time.

Their QB played great for sure.

The Qb was not going through progressions and hitting routes as much as the routes were ended and the receivers just running around playing backyard ball. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

The Qb was not going through progressions and hitting routes as much as the routes were ended and the receivers just running around playing backyard ball. 

I bet they were doing exactly as they have been coached or QB wouldn’t know where to find them.

Coach Harsin fired a coach earlier this season for his area of responsibility not being coached well. Now it is time to fire our Defensive Coordinator for the same sin!

4 minutes ago, warhogone said:

Coach Harsin fired a coach earlier this season for his area of responsibility not being coached well. Now it is time to fire our Defensive Coordinator for the same sin!

I am about to correct myself, The DC is guilty of not making second half adjustments which is a MAJOR NO-NO!!!!

Edited by warhogone
Typo

3 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

With almost zero threat of a pass rush, we make every opposing QB look like a Heisman contender. Bryce Young may throw 7 TD's against us. 

Oh, so you're thinking he'll have an off day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This entire year mason is basically coaching around not having a pass rush

• Like 4

6 hours ago, aubaseball said:

In my opinion, Mason brought a leaky defensive scheme w him from Vandy. We have some talent on D, but I truly think it’s a scheme issue at this point, but coupled along with an inept 3 and out O, disaster was bound to happen. I’ll be the first to say, I blamed GM a lot, but if we don’t turn recruiting around, this is going to be disastrous. Just a thought. 

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Dropping 8 into coverage doesn't matter. Drop 18 if you want. Unless there's a pass rush the QB will take all the time he needs until someone eventually comes open.

I understand it when you are driving the field but inside the 5 is mind blowing.   There is no space to get open unless you are just bad in football instincts.   I get the frustration with mason but holy hell, someone make a play when it’s inside the 5 and they are running crossing routes in the back of the end zone.   Wide open!!!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I understand it when you are driving the field but inside the 5 is mind blowing.   There is no space to get open unless you are just bad in football instincts.   I get the frustration with mason but holy hell, someone make a play when it’s inside the 5 and they are running crossing routes in the back of the end zone.   Wide open!!!!!

The play in the redzone we blitzed and he threw the td right where the guy that blitzed was before he blitzed. This play we had 4 d linemen

• Like 2