Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

4 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

SIAP https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburn-down-to-3-candidates-for-offensive-coordinator-opening-per-report/

Zak Hill, Kittley and D. Craig

Seems like Craig or Hill could have been announced already. Kittley just played last night.

There are like 3 or 4 of those top 3 lists will all different candidates. The only candidate that is on all of them is Hill.

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, TheDob06 said:

SIAP https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburn-down-to-3-candidates-for-offensive-coordinator-opening-per-report/

Zak Hill, Kittley and D. Craig

Seems like Craig or Hill could have been announced already. Kittley just played last night.

An interesting note on Kittley:

He's been Co-OC at WKU.  His counterpart Byron Ellis just left for Georgia Southern. 

Does that increase or decrease his odds of leaving for Auburn?  Or do you find this info irrelevant?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

He's been Co-OC at WKU.  His counterpart Byron Ellis just left for Georgia Southern. 

Does that increase or decrease his odds of leaving for Auburn?  Or do you find this info irrelevant?  

I find it quite interesting.  He was a Co-OC?  Didn't know that.  I am still a bit ambivalent regarding him.  I don't really see him as a serious candidate.  But that's just me.

• Like 3

Guest MustardSeed
11 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Yeah he was “co” OC. And with the same guys that were there last year running the O when they ranked 114th and got demoted when he came in and suddenly they’re #2. Co in title only I’m sure

15 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I find it quite interesting.  He was a Co-OC?  Didn't know that.  I am still a bit ambivalent regarding him.  I don't really see him as a serious candidate.  But that's just me.

I still think we're getting Hill, but for the sake of argument, if we want Kittley, the price probably just went up. 

He might be offered sole OC duties and more $$$ to stay. 

Perhaps Clay Helton wanted Kittley, but was forced to settle for Ellis, either because Kittley didn't want to leave or because he is waiting breathlessly by the phone for a call From CBH.  (Most likely scenario!) 

Maybe he's going elsewhere like TT or to GT who really needs help.

Probably a just a typical Auburn fanbase fever dream that we'll all laugh at tomorrow.  

P.S.  I'm beating the rush laughing now    😀

Edited by AURealist

I have noticed over the years that there are a few AU sites that have a way of propping up coaches that they know the fans want only to find that they were not truly on the list at all. It creates a feeding frenzy for content and in the end it just makes the fans mad at the university when it does not happen. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I have noticed over the years that there are a few AU sites that have a way of propping up coaches that they know the fans want only to find that they were not truly on the list at all. It creates a feeding frenzy for content and in the end it just makes the fans mad at the university when it does not happen. 

There's really no reason to believe anything we are hearing right now. It is all just rumor. Sure, they may get it right, but they do not have any inside info, just guessing for clicks. We will find out who is really being considered when the PTB want us to, not because some media hack is floating names.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Given the history of “insider” information not being remotely accurate since Harsin took over… especially since Coach Corn was dismissed… I would not be surprised if the coach hired was not on any of the lists.

I have no clue who it will be. It MAY be someone on the lists.

Everything is pure speculation.

I do think if it was not a good hire, Bo probably wouldn’t have stuck around.

• Like 3

Guest MustardSeed
40 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I still think we're getting Hill, but for the sake of argument, if we want Kittley, the price probably just went up. 

He might be offered sole OC duties and more $$$ to stay. 

Perhaps Clay Helton wanted Kittley, but was forced to settle for Ellis, either because Kittley didn't want to leave or because he is waiting breathlessly by the phone for a call From CBH.  (Most likely scenario!) 

Maybe he's going elsewhere like TT or to GT who really needs help.

Probably a just a typical Auburn fanbase fever dream that we'll all laugh at tomorrow.  

P.S.  I'm beating the rush laughing now    😀

Probably all true. Here’s my main issue/concern (as if it matters 😂)

Hill has literally only personally recruited one 4 star his entire career and his offense isn’t eye catching in any way. You either need to be an ace recruiter or have an offense that excites recruits. He’s had enough time now to have a resume that shows neither. I would put him at an F in recruiting and a D- in exciting scheme.
Of course we know nothing about Kittleys recruiting except that he personally picked out his current QB who had no offers and called him and got him to come to HBU. But his scheme is making headlines and recruits can look at the results and excited. So I give him a D- in recruiting (would be an F without his assessment of his current qb) but an A+ in exciting scheme. 

Then there’s Grimes. His scheme is not that exciting either but he’s an ace recruiter.  He’d get an A in recruiting and a C exciting scheme. 
Ludwig has a LOOOONG resume to pull from. His scheme has never been greatly exciting and he’s only finished top 20 in PPG once in over 20 years. He averages recruiting (1) 4 star every other year and the rest 3 star and under. He’d get a D in recruiting and C in exciting scheme. 
So if I average those out I get

Grimes— B

Kittley— B- to C+

Ludwig— C-

Hill— D- to F

Won’t factor in Craig and Dell as they only have recruiting numbers

The choices seem pretty simple to me 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I do agree.

I do not fault them at all for trying to make money, but it does seem like they are catering to the masses a little too much rather than putting out useful content.

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Then there’s Grimes. His scheme is not that exciting either but he’s an ace recruiter.  He’d get an A in recruiting and a C exciting scheme. 

I would say the biggest selling point to Grimes in terms of scheme is that it is basically the same scheme a lot of NFL teams that have pretty effective offenses run.

THAT would attract recruits.

Plus, he has been effective in implementing it in multiple places.

Guest MustardSeed
13 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

I would say the biggest selling point to Grimes in terms of scheme is that it is basically the same scheme a lot of NFL teams that have pretty effective offenses run.

THAT would attract recruits.

Plus, he has been effective in implementing it in multiple places.

Agreed. He’s also the best recruiter of those named and it’s not even remotely close. 2 have proven to be terrible recruiters and 1 has never even attempted recruiting at this level so getting players to come for him as OC will be a lot easier regardless

Has anyone mentioned OC Andy Ludwig at Utah? Watching Utah's offense this year they look potent. Especially since he uses a lot of 3 tight end sets. He also was a quarterbacks coach during Harsin's playing career at Boise State. He's well traveled but seems to have been able to develop quarterbacks at every school he has coached. 

https://utahutes.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/andy-ludwig/3554

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Probably all true. Here’s my main issue/concern (as if it matters 😂)

Hill has literally only personally recruited one 4 star his entire career and his offense isn’t eye catching in any way. You either need to be an ace recruiter or have an offense that excites recruits. He’s had enough time now to have a resume that shows neither. I would put him at an F in recruiting and a D- in exciting scheme.
Of course we know nothing about Kittleys recruiting except that he personally picked out his current QB who had no offers and called him and got him to come to HBU. But his scheme is making headlines and recruits can look at the results and excited. So I give him a D- in recruiting (would be an F without his assessment of his current qb) but an A+ in exciting scheme. 

Ludwig has a LOOOONG resume to pull from. His scheme has never been greatly exciting and he’s only finished top 20 in PPG once in over 20 years. He averages recruiting (1) 4 star every other year and the rest 3 star and under. He’d get a D in recruiting and C in exciting scheme. 
So if I average those out I get

Grimes— B

Kittley— B- to C+

Ludwig— C-

Hill— D- to F

Won’t factor in Craig and Dell as they only have recruiting numbers

The choices seem pretty simple to me 🤷‍♂️

Yeah.  Should probably go with Grimes.  Without an immediate recruiting upswing, Harsin won't be here long enough to accomplish anything.  

I don’t believe you can be successful consistently throwing the ball 59 times and running 10 in the SEC.  I’m out on Kittley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, JR Marcus said:

Has anyone mentioned OC Andy Ludwig at Utah? Watching Utah's offense this year they look potent. Especially since he uses a lot of 3 tight end sets. He also was a quarterbacks coach during Harsin's playing career at Boise State. He's well traveled but seems to have been able to develop quarterbacks at every school he has coached. 

https://utahutes.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/andy-ludwig/3554

Have you uh…read any of this thread?

• Haha 1

Just now, Potatooooooes!! said:

Have you uh…read any of this thread?

Briefly but didn't really see much about him. Can you provide a run down of what was said about him? It's just too many pages to go through...lol!

10 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t believe you can be successful consistently throwing the ball 59 times and running 10 in the SEC.  I’m out on Kittley.

This was my biggest issue with the game plans.  We took out the running game ourselves a majority of the time.  Reminds me of the Colts this year, especially against the Bucs recently.  They saw TB lined up in a run stopping set and got away from the hottest player in the NFL on their own in Jonathon Taylor.  They didn't even run him when up 10 in 2nd half, deciding to keep passing. Bucs came back, took lead. Then Colts run Taylor next drive, getting 5+yards a carry all the way down the field for the tie. When they run, they win, period.   Same can be said with the way we didn't use Tank this year.  Especially without an Alpha receiver, we should run the ball more than pass. I know O line has a big say in that result, but Bobo wanted to pass way too much this year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JR Marcus said:

Briefly but didn't really see much about him. Can you provide a run down of what was said about him? It's just too many pages to go through...lol!

Some for

Some against

Vandy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did I hear correctly that Baylor is playing with their 2nd string QB?  And dominating OSU?  Wow

24 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Yeah.  Should probably go with Grimes.  Without an immediate recruiting upswing, Harsin won't be here long enough to accomplish anything.  

Not sure why he would leave Baylor.   He is in a better position to be a head coach somewhere by staying there than coming to Auburn.  He is in a better position to be looking for employment after 1 year at Auburn.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fishepa said:

Did I hear correctly that Baylor is playing with their 2nd string QB?  And dominating OSU?  Wow

2nd and goal from the 21 and they score.  I feel like Grimes would be so awesome that it’ll never happen.

• Like 1

Just now, AUDevil said:

2nd and goal from the 21 and they score.  I feel like Grimes would be so awesome that it’ll never happen.

Judging by their performance so far, yes, Grimes would be the best choice. Which means we won’t be able to get him. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

This.  Leave the air-raiding to the pirate in Mississippi.