Gatewood and Morrow

LPTiger

This isn't intended to be a bash Gus topic.   But, what was Gus thinking when he signed a QB that didn't start at his high school and a running back that didn't start at his high school.  How many coaches at a high level D1 school would waste 1 (here 2) of 20 plus precious scholarships on a kid that can't even earn the starting position at his high school?  Did Gus sign them for very specific roles -- Gatewood (Wildcat) and Joiner (wheel route) or did he think he could coach them up from non-high school starter to high level Div 1 impact player?

What happened with Joiner is he insisted on being recruited as strictly a running back. Even Gus didn't want to give him that offer at first. Joiner and Auburn parted ways and Joiner came back around after he realized he wasn't going to get any big time offers at RB. So Gus said, sure, we'll take this 6'3 235 freak athlete and see if we can't find a role for him. And he used Joiner for about the only thing he was good for. And he was good for that! But the whole thing was, yes, emblematic of everything that was wrong with Gus's offense. 

• Like 2

Gatewood was good when he played in h.s. but warmed the bench behind an excellent starting QB. Think Fullwood in Bo's shadow.

Edited by aucanucktiger

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gatewood should have always been a TE.

It’s like some people don’t have self awareness.   If I saw that I wasn’t as good as the other guys in my position group, I think I would ask to play a different position.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Cam Newton too, according to some in football circles.

After 2 national championships, a #1 overall NFL selection, and a NFL MVP, I'd say he's proven himself as a QB.

JG...not so much

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gatewood should have always been a TE.

Exactly........the QB Gus recruited around the same time as Frazier become TE/WR was successful........and ashamed to say I can't remember his name......not because of his lack of success......my old timers is kicking in😢

10 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Gatewood was good when he played in h.s. but warmed the bench behind an excellent starting QB. Think Fullwood in Bo's shadow.

No disrespect but that is a terrible example. Gatewood is no Fullwood as far as talent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Geez peoples.  It's high school. You have a D1 QB on your roster and you have Gatewood. You are going to get them both on the field. Gatewood could start in high school at any number of positions and help your team. The other guy was a QB. Gatewood was a team player and went along with it, and it probably hurt his chances of being a QB in college.  Gatewood had offers from almost everybody, including a late offer from Bama.  If you feel a need to  bash Gus, this is a bad example. Everyone on the boards was excited to get him.

18 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Geez peoples.  It's high school. You have a D1 QB on your roster and you have Gatewood. You are going to get them both on the field. Gatewood could start in high school at any number of positions and help your team. The other guy was a QB. Gatewood was a team player and went along with it, and it probably hurt his chances of being a QB in college.  Gatewood had offers from almost everybody, including a late offer from Bama.  If you feel a need to  bash Gus, this is a bad example. Everyone on the boards was excited to get him.

You're right, he could've played any position...in HS.  This has nothing to do with Gus.

Gatewood could've been a perfect TE, similar to the Kelce, Kittle, Graham, Gonzalez, Hernandez type. He would've made our O much more dynamic.

5 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Exactly........the QB Gus recruited around the same time as Frazier become TE/WR was successful........and ashamed to say I can't remember his name......not because of his lack of success......my old timers is kicking in😢

Cj Uzomah

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You're right, he could've played any position...in HS.  This has nothing to do with Gus.

Gatewood could've been a perfect TE, similar to the Kelce, Kittle, Graham, Gonzalez, Hernandez type. He would've made our O much more dynamic.

Cj Uzomah

A North Gwinnett high school alum 

• Like 1

I certainly didn't have any issue offering and signing Gatewood or giving him an opportunity to win the QB job. Once we saw him though, we should've had the awareness to move him. Whether at AU or UK, I've never seen him look comfortable at QB. It's fine to take a flyer on a freak athlete at QB, but you should be able to scout him once you see it in practice. If he's not a QB, don't waste time. Move him. If he doesn't want to do that, move on.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I certainly didn't have any issue offering and signing Gatewood or giving him an opportunity to win the QB job. Once we saw him though, we should've had the awareness to move him. Whether at AU or UK, I've never seen him look comfortable at QB. It's fine to take a flyer on a freak athlete at QB, but you should be able to scout him once you see it in practice. If he's not a QB, don't waste time. Move him. If he doesn't want to do that, move on.

That's pretty much exactly what happened.  The "problem" was that he was a good enough QB that he deserved a shot.  And half the people on here were pissed that he didn't get playing time and that was the primary reason he transferred.  Gus deserves to be bashed for a few things, but Gatewood is just not one of them. If I had a nickel for everyone who thought he was our future at QB, even after he lost the QB battle, well, .... I'd have a lot of nickels.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

After 2 national championships, a #1 overall NFL selection, and a NFL MVP, I'd say he's proven himself as a QB.

JG...not so much

That doesn't change the fact that some in football circles wanted Cam Newton to be moved to TE. That was before he'd proved himself at QB, at pretty much the same stage in his career that J.G. was in at AU.

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

That's pretty much exactly what happened.  The "problem" was that he was a good enough QB that he deserved a shot.  And half the people on here were pissed that he didn't get playing time and that was the primary reason he transferred.  Gus deserves to be bashed for a few things, but Gatewood is just not one of them. If I had a nickel for everyone who thought he was our future at QB, even after he lost the QB battle, well, .... I'd have a lot of nickels.

Yep way too many people trying to change their opinion all of a sudden when damn near the whole fan base wanted Gatewood to play more after that LSU game in 2019

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gus's QB recruiting had no rhyme or reason. You had the big bodied freaks like Cam/JG. Then the true dual threats like Marshall, Malik, JF3, DD, etc. Then the pro-style era with JJ, Sean White, and Stidham. Then Nix who is a dual threat but really didn't run all that much at AU. Just made no sense. Like Gus couldn't make up his mind on what type of QB he wanted

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, au302 said:

Gus's QB recruiting had no rhyme or reason. You had the big bodied freaks like Cam/JG. Then the true dual threats like Marshall, Malik, JF3, DD, etc. Then the pro-style era with JJ, Sean White, and Stidham. Then Nix who is a dual threat but really didn't run all that much at AU. Just made no sense. Like Gus couldn't make up his mind on what type of QB he wanted

I think he took whoever he could talk into coming and in reality he had some success with all kinds.

26 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think he took whoever he could talk into coming and in reality he had some success with all kinds.

Yea his three seasons of success came with the three types. Just weird that for a guy that was nationally renown for his offensive prowess he couldn't figure out which type he operated best with. Caused a lot of guys to be poor fits and leave