Why Feb 26, 1993 Shows That Those Who Say jan. 6, 2021 was "No Big Deal" Are Wrong.

CoffeeTiger

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I will agree with you there. I don't agree with Pence on a lot of things, but I can't argue that he doesn't stand fast in his beliefs and principles. He's one of the very few close Trump associates who has never been directly accused of lying, breaking the law, or defrauding peoples. 

It may be true that many Republicans don't care for Trumps attitude and speeches, but in many cases those same people DO love his policies, beliefs, and his fight at all costs, never surrender attitude. 

If Republicans believe Trump is the best hope to win the 2024 election for the R's then they will grab their noses and checkmark his name just as many of them did in 2016 and 2020. 

You are being naive' about the Republican party as well as the severity of the threat to our democracy.

The Republican party is now the party of Trump:

“I think the succumbing of the Republican Party to the Big Lie just swamps everything else,” Bill Kristol, the longtime conservative strategist who has become a leader in the Republican opposition to Trump, told me. Although it was possible last January to believe that the GOP would “repudiate” Trump, Kristol said, his dominance endures. To Kristol, it’s hard to make the case that the Republican surrender to Trump’s antidemocratic impulses “is a passing cloud, even a very big and unpleasant cloud. It’s going to be part of the scene for a while,” he said.

Trump’s consolidation of control means that arguably for the first time in American history, the dominant faction in one of the nation’s major political parties is displaying the willingness to rig the rules of electoral competition in a manner reminiscent of the authoritarian parties that have undermined democracy in countries such as Hungary, Poland, and Venezuela. The Republican Party, even with some remaining dissent, has “mostly been turned into a pro-autocracy party or an illiberal party, a party where the leadership and a lot of the base … think it’s more important that they be in power than constitutional rights and liberal protections be valued,” Susan Stokes, the director of the Chicago Center on Democracy at the University of Chicago, told me.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/01/defending-democracy-steps/621170/

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I used to have more faith in the American people.

If MAGA didn't confirm it, the pandemic damned sure did.

It would give one hope knowing that it's mostly the same people, if only there weren't so damned many of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well, just because it's part of who i am: Here's some 1/6/ memes 

Starting with a 11/20/20 tweet that aged like milk from the BlaZe's own Tomi Lahren.

qc6xd4r7t3a81.jpg 

Because 1/6 was just "A tourist visit' according to some Republican  politicians. 

sKdVn3ximtJEeCoD0RsWvrdS_T4nlV_iBxEhrPTy

1/6 MAGAts according to their RPG roles 

9j6jbkbw64a81.jpg

Aome of the immediate Republican reaction (Before they decided 1/6 was a peaceful protest) was that it was a violent protest led by ANTIFA duisguised at Trump fans:

9vnwrnikp2a81.jpg

tZQzCwdnTFKICfT9m452POKnpYKi6T9R1Skng-q6

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

You forgot the "patriots" who defecated and smeared their s*** on the halls of our capitol.

11 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

It's that first one that really gets me. And it really gets me that all the same people on here who said that January 6th would never happen are the same ones saying now that it wasn't a big deal. I get that it's embarrassing and difficult to admit you were wrong in this charged little ecosystem but nut up and be adults about it. 

• Like 3

As I said to my wife that day, what do these thugs think they can do?  They could have burned the Capitol to the ground and Biden would still have become president.

January 6th was an embarrassment but it never had a chance to do anything to our government or institutions of government.  Democrats are wringing every drop they can from it…..even if the pomp and stance is made up. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

As usual, yall are missing the whole point.

The govt, hell even some of the same folks like Mueller, lied to the American People to get us into a forever war in Iraq and Afghanistan. 20 years later and our sons and daughters getting slaughtered in the field, the MIC getting filthy stinking rich, we droned weddings and funerals for the fun of it and have likely pissed off whatever allies we had in the ME forever. Those same liars then dressed up some sleazy fictional campaign compromat and proceeded to drag America thru the wringer for 4-5 years over just this side of nothing. 

WHAT WE SHOULD BE ASKING HERE IS HOW DO WE RESTORE FAITH IN OUR GOVT. But no, we will never get that. Clearly our govt has failed us many many times. It failed us so often that now about 40% of our populace prefers a game show host to real leadership. But those in the "Ruling Oligarchy" prefer to blame the "Deplorables" than to even look at their own record. It is NEVER their fault, not even 1%, even when they hold all three branches of govt, like right now. It is ALWAYS the Deplorables fault. NEVER EVER THEIR OWN. The issues are never with the people that have failed us for the last 30 years plus in DC, the same talking heads that are 100% owned by the MIC and the 1%. It is never their problem for being IN POWER for 30-40-or more years. NEVER THEIR PROBLEM. It is always the problem of the middleclass and their powerless asses that screw Utopia up. The Utopia of MIC and Wall Street kickbacks and bribes etc.

ALWAYS BLAME THE VOTERS...

Even though the middleclass people that have never and will never hold any power, ALWAYS BLAME THE VOTERS...

One thing I think we can all agree on here is this: The Democrats were supposed to be the "governing party," well that has vaporized.

What happened to:
M4A?
Minimum Wage Hike?
Taxing the Wealthy?
Inflation?
SCM Crisis?
The Border Mess?
More Deaths from the Pandemic since JB took over, with vaccines, than under trump??

JB did end the war, and I will be eternally greatful. That was a decision that should have been made every year since about 2003 or 2004.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, autigeremt said:

January 6th was an embarrassment but it never had a chance to do anything to our government or institutions of government.  Democrats are wringing every drop they can from it…..even if the pomp and stance is made up. 

I mean, Statuary Hall was destroyed, dontchaknow? DESTROYED!

The buffalo shaman dude in the Viking hat (or were those two different LARPing morons?) was scary. I mean, I was so unnerved by the whole thing that I ate a second slice of key lime pie to calm my nerves.

The fact that anyone involved is still being held a year later while actual killers, rapists, and other violent felons are being released back into society to, well, continue being worthless shitstains (in Houston alone there have been dozens of homicides this year committed by folks out on lowball bail awaiting trial).

I'll leave this here, too.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/cbs-buries-poll-results-showing-most-americans-of-both-parties-think-jan-6-was-a-protest-that-went-too-far

cb833db5a2456ce695ac362ffe742e1ea04537a9_105885_u163994.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

The buffalo shaman dude in the Viking hat (or were those two different LARPing morons?) was scary. I mean, I was so unnerved by the whole thing that I ate a second slice of key lime pie to calm my nerves.

The fact that anyone involved is still being held a year later while actual killers, rapists, and other violent felons are being released back into society to, well, continue being worthless shitstains (in Houston alone there have been dozens of homicides this year committed by folks out on lowball bail awaiting trial).

I'll leave this here, too.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/cbs-buries-poll-results-showing-most-americans-of-both-parties-think-jan-6-was-a-protest-that-went-too-far

cb833db5a2456ce695ac362ffe742e1ea04537a9_105885_u163994.jpg

Never mind the chaos and destruction of cities and attacks on federal buildings and personnel, citizens and anyone else in the way.........Democrats LOVE this stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

There were people in the Capitol building literally trying to hunt down members of Congress.  There were chants of "Hang Mike Pence."  People were busting out windows and hammering ballistic glass doors to get where they thought Congressional members might be hiding out.  Capitol Police were violently attacked, hit in the head with heavy objects.  What some of those officers experienced was so traumatic they committed suicide in the weeks and months after.  They were trying to bust into a room where an officer was holding a gun at them telling them to back off, and they thought they could overwhelm him, and a woman was lawfully shot and killed as a result.

And you act like because some of them didn't come in and deface Statuary Hall and ransack every room they were in, it wasn't a big deal.

GTFO with that gaslighting bull****.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Seriously, some of you need to completely overhaul your sources of political news and commentary.  You're being fed a line of coordinated bull**** narratives even as you fancy yourself avoiding the biased narratives of the "mainstream media."  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, autigeremt said:

8keykk6654a81.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Of course you weren't scared....you were watching it on tv at home....probably on Fox News....probably cheering them on. 

Uhhh....you do know what happens in DC/Federal court and what happens in Houston Tx are two separate things, right? 

Like people being arrested and held in DC jails for 1/6 has no impact on what the judges and prosecutors in Houston, Tx do. 

If you want to go complain to Houston that they are being too lenient then go ahead, but it has nothing to do with 1/6. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Of course you weren't scared....you were watching it on tv at home....probably on Fox News....probably cheering them on. 

Uhhh....you do know what happens in DC/Federal court and what happens in Houston Tx are two separate things, right? 

Like people being arrested and held in DC jails for 1/6 has no impact on what the judges and prosecutors in Houston, Tx do. 

If you want to go complain to Houston that they are being too lenient then go ahead, but it has nothing to do with 1/6. 

This tactic reminds me (to just give one example) of when people say "Why are we helping refugees/immigrants/Afghans when US veterans are homeless?!?"  

It's a false dichotomy pitting an almost universally sympathetic group's needs against those of some group the person wants to be deemed as unworthy of our help.  But the two have nothing to do with each other.  We don't have to choose whether to help veterans OR help refugees.  We can actually help both.  And if you're angry that there are so many homeless veterans not being helped by our government, then the proper course of action is to demand our government do better by them - full stop.  Leave the refugees, asylum seekers, and so on out of it.  It's not a zero sum game.  We can choose different priorities for our money in other areas and have money to help those who need help.

This is a similar false dichotomy.  We can demand justice for these people who violently stormed our Capitol, threatened our elected leaders, injured police officers, and committed terroristic threats and activities AND the good people of Houston, TX can demand that violent felons down there aren't released back into society too soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

GTFO with that gaslighting bull****.

Do you believe there was any gaslighting going on when VP Harris compared January 6th to Pearl Harbor and 9-11?  How about when President Biden said (paraphrasing) for the first time in our history a confederate flag was in the Capitol building?  Even though it was a true statement, what was it’s purpose other than to invoke emotions of his base.  Their credibility suffers when they make speeches like this.  By the way, Confederate statues were in the Capitol building until this year.

The House Votes To Remove Confederate Statues In The U.S. Capitol

June 29, 2021. 7:55 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/29/1011303611/the-house-votes-to-remove-confederate-statues-in-the-u-s-capitol

The difference between January 6th and Pearl Harbor, 9-11 and the Civil War is the latter events were a start of a war.  January 6th was not.  January 6th was not a good day in the history of the US, but it wasn’t on the same level of the above mentioned dates either.  I am sure it is somewhere in between.  

• Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you believe there was any gaslighting going on when VP Harris compared January 6th to Pearl Harbor and 9-11?  How about when President Biden said (paraphrasing) for the first time in our history a confederate flag was in the Capitol building?  Even though it was a true statement, what was it’s purpose other than to invoke emotions of his base.  Their credibility suffers when they make speeches like this.  By the way, Confederate statues were in the Capitol building until this year.

The House Votes To Remove Confederate Statues In The U.S. Capitol

June 29, 2021. 7:55 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/29/1011303611/the-house-votes-to-remove-confederate-statues-in-the-u-s-capitol

The difference between January 6th and Pearl Harbor, 9-11 and the Civil War is the latter events were a start of a war.  January 6th was not.  January 6th was not a good day in the history of the US, but it wasn’t on the same level of the above mentioned dates either.  I am sure it is somewhere in between.  

Where have I defended any of this?  Stick to the subject at hand in *this* thread, which is a bunch of people trying to downplay and minimize the significance and seriousness of what happened on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC.  This is Exhibit A for Whataboutism...completely ignore the arguments being discussed by pointing the finger at something else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Where have I defended any of this?  Stick to the subject at hand in *this* thread, which is a bunch of people trying to downplay and minimize the significance and seriousness of what happened on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC.  This is Exhibit A for Whataboutism...completely ignore the arguments being discussed by pointing the finger at something else.

You brought up gaslighting and I asked you questions about the President and VP gaslighting themselves?  I did not say you defended any of the *celebration* of January 6th, just asked your opinion of their speeches.

I did say the truth lies somewhere in between the 2 extreme views.  I just can’t go all in on what this administration and most of the media are presenting as such a threat to democracy on that date.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You brought up gaslighting and I asked you questions about the President and VP gaslighting themselves?  I did not say you defended any of the *celebration* of January 6th, just asked your opinion of their speeches.

I did say the truth lies somewhere in between the 2 extreme views.  I just can’t go all in on what this administration and most of the media are presenting as such a threat to democracy on that date.

I bought up gaslighting in reference to what we are discussing in this thread - which is the currently floated narrative of some (including people participating in this thread) that the events of Jan 6th are no big deal, overblown, not a real threat, etc.  It came right after comments making light of how violent the people who broke into the Capitol were because some of them walked between the velvet ropes in the Statuary room and didn't vandalize anything in there.  It wasn't a general comment on gaslighting.  It was about something specific.  The response to that, if any, is to either agree with me and admit that the gaslighting trying to minimize it is wrong, or make a counterargument as to why what they are saying is correct and not gaslighting at all.  It is not to point to some other example of the other side gaslighting as a form of deflection.

The events of Jan 6th, and the days leading up to it in their entirety were most certainly a threat to our democracy.  Even being unsuccessful, they have been catalysts for further division and erosion of our democratic form of government.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I bought up gaslighting in reference to what we are discussing in this thread - which is the currently floated narrative of some (including people participating in this thread) that the events of Jan 6th are no big deal, overblown, not a real threat, etc.  It came right after comments making light of how violent the people who broke into the Capitol were because some of them walked between the velvet ropes in the Statuary room and didn't vandalize anything in there.  It wasn't a general comment on gaslighting.  It was about something specific.  The response to that, if any, is to either agree with me and admit that the gaslighting trying to minimize it is wrong, or make a counterargument as to why what they are saying is correct and not gaslighting at all.  It is not to point to some other example of the other side gaslighting as a form of deflection.

The events of Jan 6th, and the days leading up to it in their entirety were most certainly a threat to our democracy.  Even being unsuccessful, they have been catalysts for further division and erosion of our democratic form of government.

It wasn't a serious attempt to do anything....except be a bunch of a**holes breaking the law. 95% of them got a slap on the wrist. Unfortunately one of them died because of their idiocy but that's nothing new with riots these days. 

• Facepalm 1

21 hours ago, Trakem said:

As I said to my wife that day, what do these thugs think they can do?  They could have burned the Capitol to the ground and Biden would still have become president.

America’s Near-Death Day

What would have happened if Mike Pence had said yes?

By David French
January 05, 2022

GettyImages-1230473117.jpg

Most Americans, I fear, don’t truly understand the danger the United States faced on January 6, 2021. I say this with confidence—our nation was one Mike Pence “yes” away from potential fracture.

As we reflect on January 6, it’s understandable to focus on the mob’s terror attack on the Capitol, but—as strange as this may sound—that dreadful spasm of violence was ultimately one of the less dangerous aspects of Trump’s campaign to overturn the election. Indeed, the moment of maximum danger had come earlier, and it occurred mostly behind the scenes.

This was the concerted effort to persuade or coerce Mike Pence into delaying or overturning the certification of the presidential election. We knew he was under pressure. We knew that Trump was demanding that he act. But we didn’t know how much pressure, and we didn’t know that Pence had been handed a road map to a coup.

We also didn’t yet know that even dreadful violence, instigated by Trump, would not be enough to materially undermine Republican support for Trump.

But here’s what we now know. We know that Vice President Pence had been presented with a legal argument that he had the power to overturn the presidential election entirely or—at the very least—the ability to delay certification of the election to build pressure on Republican legislatures in Biden states (like Georgia, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania) to select an alternate slate of electors.

We also know that Jeffrey Clark, the former acting assistant attorney general for the Department of Justice’s Civil Division, actively threatened Acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen’s job if Rosen didn’t use the power of the DOJ to attempt to coerce Georgia and other states to appoint new electors.

At the same time, former Trump adviser Peter Navarro has explained in great detail that he and Steve Bannon were actively executing a plan they called the “Green Bay Sweep” to use the weaknesses and ambiguities in the Electoral Count Act to attempt to force Pence to delay certification.

Finally, all of this was taking place against a background reality that while the GOP base might not have endorsed the attack on the Capitol, they were still committed to the idea that the election was stolen, and they were still absolutely committed to Trump.

Doubt me? Look at this startling approval chart, and remember that January 6 is not just the day the mob attacked the Capitol, it’s the day that Pence and Senator Mitch McConnell broke with Trump and took the lead in making sure Congress certified Biden’s victory:

Screenshot-2022-01-05-161611.png

So, let’s walk through what happens if Mike Pence says yes on January 6, 2021. What happens if, instead of announcing that he will discharge his constitutional duties and certify Biden’s victory, he puts out a different letter, one that echoes the “reasoning” of the infamous Eastman memos and either attempts to certify a Trump victory or refuses to certify Biden’s win?

First, the attack on the Capitol would almost certainly not happen. Instead of an angry mob chanting “Hang Mike Pence,” the Capitol would be surrounded by a jubilant mob celebrating a great victory, and the very existence of the mob would hang like the Sword of Damocles over any Republican who dared object.

This mob and its Republican allies wouldn’t see themselves as usurping American democracy; they would believe in their heart of hearts that they were saving the country from a corrupt election and a corrupt party. You would immediately hear rhetoric about 1776 and a great triumph over the hated forces who tried to destroy the nation they love.

Second, there would almost certainly be immediate, massive protests in blue cities and blue states. There would be a good chance that some of those protests would turn violent, and that would immediately not only harden Republican support for Trump; it would grant him yet another pretext for attempting to invoke the Insurrection Act and using active-duty troops to secure control of the streets.

Third, governors on both sides of the divide would face intense pressure to declare their intentions (who will they recognize as president?), at the same time that Biden would be launching an immediate legal effort to obtain Supreme Court review. Trump would almost certainly begin to publicly prepare his own swearing-in ceremony.

The Supreme Court would intervene and confirm Biden’s win—how could it not? But then it would be an open question whether Trump would respect the ruling. It would be an open question whether an even more radicalized Republican base would allow Trump to respect the ruling. Remember, the Supreme Court has no meaningful independent authority to enforce its orders. It ultimately relies on voluntary compliance from the nation’s political branches of government.

If Mike Pence had said yes, would our nation witness two swearing-in ceremonies, one with John Roberts administering the oath of office to Biden and the other with a different judge administering the oath to Trump?

And again, if all of this sounds too far-fetched to contemplate, remember that when Mike Pence stood for the rule of law and the Constitution, millions of Republicans rejected Pence, not the man who tried to engineer an American coup. Even to this day, where I live in Tennessee, there is considerable base-GOP anger at Marsha Blackburn, one of Trump’s most loyal senators, because she didn’t ultimately vote against election certification on January 6.

And if you think more than a few GOP politicians would have actively resisted Trump, you forget the way in which the vast majority of the GOP quickly folded and refused to vote to either impeach or convict a president who plotted a profound constitutional crisis. And you forget the power of a jubilant, victorious right-wing media that would have thundered their approval for Pence across the length and breadth of these United States.

We would have seen GOP resistance, but those resistors would have immediately faced a wave of threats and intimidation unlike anything we’ve yet seen—especially if they were understood to take the side of violent protests on the left.

I’m sorry to walk through this darkness, but it’s necessary. It’s important to understand that many millions of Americans believe that the election was stolen and that Trump was the true victim of 2020, that his fight was noble, and that the members of the GOP who thwarted him were traitors. They long for Trump’s return.

Yes, this devotion may fade, and there are signs that Republicans are more divided than polls may suggest, but it hasn’t faded yet, and even the suggestion that Trump should face a serious primary challenge in 2024 can generate intense backlash.

We can’t heal the patient unless we diagnose the disease, and the disease is serious. Hatred of the left combined with devotion to Trump almost plunged our nation into an existential crisis. The vice president’s courage in a pivotal moment prevented further chaos, but when the GOP is busy attempting to purge the party of all but the former president’s most loyal allies, can we be confident such courage will prevail again?

A conversation about manliness and moral courage …

Late last year I had a great conversation with Vox’s Sean Illing about the Trump right’s corrupted view of masculinity and how bullying had replaced moral courage as a cardinal masculine virtue in parts of the right.

It’s always fun to talk to Sean, and I’d encourage you to listen to the whole thing, but I wanted to close this newsletter with a bit of hope. One of the reasons why the Trump right is so vicious is that it knows it’s vulnerable:

Sean Illing
I really do believe the ultimate choice is between conversation and violence. But I don’t think it’s too late, I really don’t. Things have been much, much worse than they are now. But we have to pull back and we have to do it soon. How does that start?
David French
Well, let’s say bad news, good news. So I think the bad news is this idea that we might reach a point where millions of Americans who were all-in for Trump will essentially give some version of mea culpa I don’t think that something like that is in the cards.
I think the way things change is people move on. It’s not necessarily that they’ll sit there and they’ll say, “I never should have been on this guy’s team.” They’ll just say something like, “Well, let’s not do that again,” or, “I like this other person better.” I think there’s a lot of room for that kind of transformation.
There’s something telling in one of the text messages that was released that the Fox News hosts sent to Mark Meadows on January 6. Laura Ingraham said, “This is hurting all of us.” What you have is this group dynamic on Trumpism where part of the appeal, actually, is they’re all in this together, they’re really all in this movement.
One of the reasons why it’s so hostile toward dissent is, I think, they know their own vulnerability. I think they know that they’re vulnerable to a better vision.
So one of the reasons why people who are “never Trump” politicians, or politicians who once supported Trump now don’t support him anymore, are so viciously attacked is because these people are the threat. Because they offer an alternative conservative vision for this country that is not based on hatred and animosity and aggression and cruelty. They offer an alternative to the J.D. Vance version, which says, “I think our people hate the right people.”
An alternative version of conservatism says, “There are no right people to hate. You don’t hate people. You believe what you believe out of conviction that this is a worldview and a set of policies and ideas that contribute to the flourishing of all of the American people, not just your tribe, and your goal is not to pit American against American.”
There is a vision and a version of conservatism that stands in total contradiction to what the Trumpist right is. I think it still has appeal, and it’s one of the reasons why there is such aggression directed at those who dissent. Because they have memories, most of them except the very youngest, they have memories of a different version of conservatism, one that could motivate people through inspiration rather than aggression, and they know they’re vulnerable to it.
So my optimistic take is that if enough conservatives, enough conservative politicians, enough conservative public intellectuals, enough conservative pop culture figures offer this alternative, don’t expect some mass American repentance. But some mass Republican turning away from Trump is very, very possible, and it’s the very possibility of that which makes the aggression of the other side seem so urgent and necessary to them.

That’s the path past Trumpism. We shall see if it’s a path Republicans take.

https://newsletters.theatlantic.com/the-third-rail/61d614df05e48f0021124667/americas-near-death-day/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Never mind the chaos and destruction of cities and attacks on federal buildings and personnel, citizens and anyone else in the way.........Democrats LOVE this stuff. 

:ucrazy:

You really don't see what a crazy post that is?

• Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

It wasn't a serious attempt to do anything....except be a bunch of a**holes breaking the law. 95% of them got a slap on the wrist. Unfortunately one of them died because of their idiocy but that's nothing new with riots these days. 

Again...

Many were literally trying to hunt down members of Congress.  

There were chants of "Hang Mike Pence."  

People were busting out windows and hammering ballistic glass doors to get where they thought Congressional members might be hiding out.

Capitol Police were violently attacked, hit in the head with heavy objects.  

Multiple Capitol Police officers committed suicide in the weeks and months after.  

A mob of them were trying to bust into a room where an officer was holding a gun at them telling them to back off, and they thought they could overwhelm him, and a woman was lawfully shot and killed as a result.

And

347 of them are charged with felonies out of 700+ arrested thus far.

It's mindnumbingly oblivious or willfully sticking one's fingers in their ears shouting "LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU" to sit there and say it wasn't a serious attempt to do anything.  Good Lord, have a seat before you lose whatever tatters of credibility you still have left.