Jerry Falwell Jr Finally Admits That His Christian Persona Was Always A Lie. LongTime Leader of The Evangelical Christian Right Says He Doesn't Even Believe In The Church or Organized Religion.

CoffeeTiger

4 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:There’s a war against Christians, if more people don’t make their religion political it will be over quickly 

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

Wow - I gathered that CoffeeTiger was a nut, but posting a meme that mocks a Bible verse, Yeesh.  I’d be angrier if I didn’t feel the need to pray for his twisted little heart.

Thank! I’m glad I have a forum fan. 

im gonna call you Pensy for short! 

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

I've always believed (actual) Christians would rue the day the church became identified with Republican politics. 

I agree. That's one reason that the left helps with that identification.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

39 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I think Greg Locke, Franklin Graham, Kenneth Copeland, et al are doing a fine job of identifying with the Republican/Evangelicals all by themselves.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I think Greg Locke, Franklin Graham, Kenneth Copeland, et al are doing a fine job of identifying with the Evangelicals all by themselves.

I completely agree. I almost added to my post "not that they needed any help."

• Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

image.jpeg

Thank! I’m glad I have a forum fan. 

im gonna call you Pensy for short! 

At least give me a cool nickname, like desantnuts.  Pence is kind of mild for my taste

12 hours ago, Grumps said:

That's right Grumps, it's the left who is trying to associate the Christian religion with the Republican party.  :rolleyes: :laugh:

https://harvardpolitics.com/in-god-we-trust-how-american-christianity-became-republicanism/

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/how-christian-fundamentalists-took-over-the-republican-party/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_right

Bad, bad left!

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

I am not blaming the left for the identification. "Christians" have done it all on their own. I was just trying to state that it helps the left and the left is happy to oblige in helping with the identification. I'd call it good politics. Does that make more sense?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:44 AM, Grumps said:

I am not blaming the left for the identification. "Christians" have done it all on their own. I was just trying to state that it helps the left and the left is happy to oblige in helping with the identification. I'd call it good politics. Does that make more sense?

So you think associating Christianity with Republicans helps the left politically??  :dunno:

No, that makes no sense at all.  It's terrible politics. 

"Estimates suggest that between 65% to 75% of the US population is Christian (about 230 to 250 million). The majority are Protestant Christians (150 to 160 million) and Roman Catholics (70 to 75 million) and other minorities of Mormons, Orthodox and Jehovah's Witnesses (about 13 million in total)."

Granted, Democrats are generally inept politically, but I don't think they're so stupid as to associate Christianity with their opposition.

You've come up with some real corkers of statements recently.  I hope you are feeling well.

Edited by homersapien

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

So you think associating Christianity with Republicans helps the left??  :dunno:

No, that makes no sense at all.  And it's terrible politics. 

"Estimates suggest that between 65% to 75% of the US population is Christian (about 230 to 250 million). The majority are Protestant Christians (150 to 160 million) and Roman Catholics (70 to 75 million) and other minorities of Mormons, Orthodox and Jehovah's Witnesses (about 13 million in total)."

Granted, Democrats are generally inept politically, but I don't think they're so stupid as to associate Christianity with their opposition.

You've come up with some real corkers of statements recently.  I hope you are feeling well.

Maybe I am as confused as you say. It was the left who said that Mike Pence was insane because he says that God speaks to him. It is the left that posts when "Christians" say something stupid or do something that they think is un-Christian-like.

So I assume that you don't think that it helps your political candidates when people treat Trump like he is a wonderful Christian? I think that hypocrisy from people on the right helps candidates on the left. But I may be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

The left sees themselves as mentally superior and above religion.  Which is ironic, because they got almost everything wrong about the virus, got played by a Marxist organization and politicians that just wanted to loot and destroy, and voted for the single worst President in the history of the country.  

All republicans had to do was recognize Christian’s to get any enlistment.  No I don’t believe Republicans are the answer either, but an easy selection over Marxist morons trying to aim the nose of the plane at the ground

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:19 AM, pensacolatiger said:

The left sees themselves as mentally superior and above religion.  Which is ironic, because they got almost everything wrong about the virus, got played by a Marxist organization and politicians that just wanted to loot and destroy, and voted for the single worst President in the history of the country.  

All republicans had to do was recognize Christian’s to get any enlistment.  No I don’t believe Republicans are the answer either, but an easy selection over Marxist morons trying to aim the nose of the plane at the ground

This will shock you, but a lot of Democrats and even progressives are religious too, they just don't make it the centerpiece of the political discourse and don't try to force their religion down the throat's of everyone else through laws that are based on their religious beliefs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

This will shock you, but a lot of Democrats and even progressives are religious too, they just don't make it the centerpiece of the political discourse and don't try to force their religion down the throat's of everyone else through laws that are based on their religious beliefs. 

This may shock you too, but the original laws of the land were based on religious beliefs.  There would not be morality without religion.  Look no further that the current gender bending rage to see this.  That rage is how people acted before religion. Only my opinion, but I would rather live in a moral world.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This may shock you too, but the original laws of the land were based on religious beliefs.  There would not be morality without religion.  Look no further that the current gender bending rage to see this.  That rage is how people acted before religion. Only my opinion, but I would rather live in a moral world.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;.......

Not just a good idea, it's the law.

As for morality,  human experience demonstrates that it does not require any specific religious belief:

Secular morality is the aspect of philosophy that deals with morality outside of religious traditions. Modern examples include humanism, freethinking, and most versions of consequentialism. Additional philosophies with ancient roots include those such as skepticism and virtue ethics. Greg M. Epstein also states that, "much of ancient Far Eastern thought is deeply concerned with human goodness without placing much if any stock in the importance of gods or spirits."[1]: 45  An example is the Kural text of Valluvar, an ancient Indian theistic poet-philosopher whose work remains secular and non-denominational.[2][3][4] Other philosophers have proposed various ideas about how to determine right and wrong actions. An example is Immanuel Kant's categorical imperative.

A variety of positions are apparent regarding the relationship between religion and morality. Some believe that religion is necessary as a guide to a moral life. According to some, this idea has been with us for nearly 2,000 years.[1]: 5  Others suggest this idea goes back at least 2,600 years as exemplified in Psalm 14 of the Hebrew Bible.[5] According to others, the idea goes back as far as 4,000 years, with the ancient Egyptians' 42 Principles of Ma'at.[6]

Others eschew the idea that religion is required to provide a guide to right and wrong behavior. The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Ethics however states that religion and morality "are to be defined differently and have no definitional connections with each other".[7]: 401  Some believe that religions provide poor guides to moral behavior. Various commentators, such as Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion), Sam Harris (The End of Faith) and Christopher Hitchens (God Is Not Great) are among those who have asserted this view.

(see source for a complete discussion. with references)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_morality

And this doesn't even address the innumerable times in human history that immoral or evil acts have been committed in the name of religion.

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

There's never been a period in human history "without religion" 

at a minimum, tens of thousands of different religions have existed all through human history. All with differing sets of beliefs and morals. 

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

There's never been a period in human history "without religion" 

at a minimum, tens of thousands of different religions have existed all through human history. All with differing sets of beliefs and morals. 

I didn’t refer to any specific religion in my statement, that would be un-American.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I didn’t refer to any specific religion in my statement, that would be un-American.

I don't  agree with the idea that without Christianity then nobody would know what was good or bad, right or wrong, etc.  

12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;.......

Not just a good idea, it's the law.

I didn’t mention a specific religion in my OP.  Do you disagree our original laws were based on religion?

”In God We Trust” is on our money and in the Capitol Building.

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

As for morality,  human experience demonstrates that it does not require any specific religious belief:

Of course a specific religious belief is not required to have morality, but absent a moral compass given at a young age by religion will create a world absent of morality.  JMO, I wouldn’t want to put it into practice though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I don't  agree with the idea that without Christianity then nobody would know what was good or bad, right or wrong, etc.  

Again, I didn’t mention Christianity in my OP. 

46 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

1) I didn’t mention a specific religion in my OP.  Do you disagree our original laws were based on religion?

2) ”In God We Trust” is on our money and in the Capitol Building.

1) Yes, I disagree.

2) "In God We Trust" was not part of the founding documents.  It was created by Congress in 1864 during a period of a popular religious revival in the "Act of April 22, 1864". 

It is clearly unconstitutional.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Of course a specific religious belief is not required to have morality, but absent a moral compass given at a young age by religion will create a world absent of morality.  JMO, I wouldn’t want to put it into practice though.

I acknowledge your opinion.  I disagree. 

A "moral compass" does not require a religious context. It can be - and typically is (at least in our society) -  presented in the context of one, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Look no further that the current gender bending rage to see this.  That rage is how people acted before religion. Only my opinion, but I would rather live in a moral world.

Sorry, but I forgot to address this.

Not sure what you mean by the "current gender bending rage" but gender has nothing to do with morality. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Sorry, but I forgot to address this.

Not sure what you mean by the "current gender bending rage" but gender has nothing to do with morality. 

If, as is the popular view of some in society, gender is a social construct, then society can socially construct their own morality.  It’s not that far of a leap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1