Head Coaching Search 2022

Zeek

3 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

I would either hire the OC or DC from Ga or Bama.. If they would be interested

Uga’s DC is gone to Oregon. Bama’s is dealing with a DUI. UGA doesn’t have a very good offense. Bama’s is an old washed up a**hole who wants to get back to the NFL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You've got to think about where Auburn stands currently. After we pay a new coach and his staff to come here, we could be looking at $60 to $70 million dollars over the past 15 months because of Gus and his staffs buyouts, Harsin and his staffs buyouts and the new coach and his staff. That's insane!!! Because of that, I don't see Auburn paying a huge contract for the next coach. 

Also, Auburn has usually went with a coach that has Auburn ties. They went away from that practice when they hired Harsin and with the end result of that mess, I see them going back to the old ways of Good Ol' Boy Network. 

They'll definately want a coach with strong recruiting ties and a coach who has a good reputation with his players. 

When all of the above is factored in, plus it is a bad time of the year to find a coach, I realistically see these coaches as candidates. (Not my candidates but who I really think Auburn will wind up choosing from)

Will Muschamp (2 stops at Auburn, strong recruiter, has been SEC coach at 2 schools and wants to be HC again)

Eli Drinkwitz (was on staff at Auburn in 2010, coached under Gus and Harsin at Arky St. if I remember correctly, has recruited really well at Missouri, SEC head coach currently at Missouri)

Kevin Steele (has been at Auburn recently, strong recruiter that put alot of players in the NFL, knows the SEC from decades of experience, coached under Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne, Saban, Les Miles and Dabo Swinney, players always loved him, he wanted this head coaching job 1 year ago. The PTB wanted him and he would be a Yes Man for them)

Gene Chizik (I could see a scenario where he would be a last resort. Kinda how Mack Brown has came back to UNC)

Rhett Lashlee (just because he knows the school, he is young and would be very cheap and a puppet for the PTB)

In NO WAY would I want any of those candidates but I would about bet you that our next head coach will come from that list. I don't see us hiring Hugh Freeze. We didn't hire him 1 year ago and I don't think you could fire Harsin with all the rumors out there and then hire Hugh Freeze who had the same issues at Ole Miss. 

21 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Freeze

Grimes

Dell ( with experienced staff)

Corey Raymond *up and comer and will eventually be a great HC one day*

Raymond is intriguing. If considering position coaches with no coordinator experience. Lots of credibility too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcware said:

What are the odds that we have the new guy lined up and ready to go as soon as Harsin is relieved of his duties.

I would say excellent odds. You don't go to the media saying that you've opened up an investigation into your current head coach if you don't already have another guy lined up. I hope we have our ducks in a row.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TeamZero77 said:

I would say excellent odds. You don't go to the media saying that you've opened up and investigation into your current head coach if you don't already have another guy lined up. I hope we have our ducks in a row.

So I’m circling Thursday on my calendar maybe Friday announcement

2 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I would say excellent odds. You don't go to the media saying that you've opened up an investigation into your current head coach if you don't already have another guy lined up. I hope we have our ducks in a row.

Unless they're incompetent and cant see beyond their own noses. 

• Like 1

I want the best candidate and I don't believe in racial quotas. However, I think it would be extremely unifying if we chose our first ever minority HC. There are plenty of good candidates.

• Like 2

Just now, wcware said:

So I’m circling Thursday on my calendar maybe Friday announcement

Mark Schlabach was reporting on the Harsin situation last friday and he said he thinks an announcement will be made by wednesday whether we keep him or fire him. If that's correct then I would think Auburn names their new head coach friday. If it's an underwhelming hire, I predict that Auburn releases the news sunday hoping the Super Bowl will overshadow the bad hire. 

Mark Stoops.  He’ll owe $1.75 million if he leaves UK.  I would back the truck up and ante up the offers until he can’t say no.  

Doubt it will happen, but he’s a realistic option for Auburn.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wcware said:

What are the odds that we have the new guy lined up and ready to go as soon as Harsin is relieved of his duties.

image.gif.23aea3d9fceb62d664f6596cb29a049c.gif

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Bama would probably PAY US right now to take Bill OBrien.  Their fans are praying he gets a job somewhere else. 

No no no no and no.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Don't really care who it is so long as they are proven recruiters in the southeast. 

I'd prefer if Muschamp weren't the HC, but would love him as DC. 

I'd like Freeze or Kendall Briles. I'm an offensive guy, and what we've seen the last 8 years has been rough. 

One thing I'm pretty sure of, this won't be an unproven, out of left field hire.

Just now, AEAugirl said:

Bama would probably PAY US right now to take Bill OBrien.  Their fans are praying he gets a job somewhere else. 

No no no no and no.  

I agree 100%. He's jumping to the NFL again at some point anyways.

I'd prefer someone we can keep as long as we had Gus. Someone with virtually no NFL aspirations. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

They are going to give the appearance that there is a “search” so it will not be “immediate” but there is no doubt they are already starting to put those feelers out and have those behind the scene conversations. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I want the best candidate and I don't believe in racial quotas. However, I think it would be extremely unifying if we chose our first ever minority HC. There are plenty of good candidates.

I am 1/8 Native American and currently been out of a head coaching job in college football for the last 31 years (since I was born).  Does that count?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

18 minutes ago, wcware said:

ZERO....not a chance 

Heck who are they going to trust to go hire this guy?  AG is gonna have to be canned also. Gen Burgess?  I doubt it.   This is gonna be  a mess.

I quickly discounted the thought of Prime as our HC, but the more I think about it, he may be less risk than Freeze (is less risk) and would not have a problem walking into anyone's living room and recruiting head to head.  He will lose plenty, but the man will absolutely embrace the portal, NIL and recruiting your own players to stay.  I still don't forgive him for the PI in the Sugarbowl ...just keeping it real.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

Everybody saying Fickell, Kiffin, Aranda, etc. are just setting yourselves up to be disappointed all over again. I've said it in other posts, LOOK AT OUR HIRING HISTORY ALL THE WAY BACK TO SHUG JORDAN. We aren't getting a "big name." The post earlier in this thread that said "it's not about who Auburn wants now, it's who would want Auburn now." As much as it hurts to say that, it's true. We aren't going to break the bank and go all in like Alabama did with Saban, Texas A&M did with Jimbo or LSU has done with Brian Kelly. I know alot of you will say Jimbo or Brian Kelly are overrated but you've got to think like a 17 or 18 year old kid and they've seen Brain Kelly in the playoffs a couple times and seen Jimbo win a Natty and beat Bama. Even the Mississippi schools have "name brand" coaches in Leach and Kiffin. Those 2 are in the news ALOT and on ESPN and they're characters. Sam Pittman is the least known coach in the West and he has done a phenomenal job at Arkansas. We are WAY behind in the SEC West when it comes to the popular coach and exciting offenses, etc. and that stuff matters!!!

As far as Fickell, just stop. He has NEVER been out of Ohio. He grew up in Ohio, went to school in Ohio, did all his asst coaching in Ohio and his head coaching has been all in Ohio. He ain't leaving!!! Especially with Cincy going to the Big12 now. Look at all the offers he has had to leave and he never would. So why would he come to Auburn, in this mess, when he turned down bigger jobs?

Dave Aranda just won the Big12 title and wouldn't budge when LSU came calling recently. And he won a Natty at LSU as DC and still chose to stay at Baylor. He is from Southern California and insiders say USC wanted him a few months ago but he wouldn't leave Baylor. So USC ponied up and got Lincoln Riley. Aranda is a strange cat and he is all about the fit and not the flash or money. We wouldn't offer him anyway and he wouldn't come here.

A large portion of our fanbase isn't grasping just how bad Auburn is looking right now because of firing Gus and his staff, then firing a coach after 1 season and gonna be paying his staff too. We are being viewed as a program with meddling boosters who will fire coaches 2 years after a Natty (Chizik), 8 years without a losing season (Malzahn) and now after 1 year (Harsin). I'm not being negative, just stating facts at how the world outside of Auburn views our football program right now.

This. I am an outsider and have gotten some heat, but here is one of your own guys/ ladies telling you the truth. There is literally no way Urban Meyer, either one of the Stoops, and especially Lane Kiffin are going to Auburn. You are radioactive right now. I think if you can secure Kevin Sumlin (a great recruiter, but may not be interested in the SEC again), Clay Helton, or Freeze, consider yourselves fortunate and blessed. You're already paying Malzahn. You're soon to be paying Harsin and his staff. Money might, might be an issue. Do you REALLY want Urban Meyer after all his baggage? You guys have got to be realistic.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am 1/8 Native American and currently been out of a head coaching job in college football for the last 31 years (since I was born).  Does that count?

Gotta wait till you stop drooling at least. You still a baby in coaching standards.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

You've got to think about where Auburn stands currently. After we pay a new coach and his staff to come here, we could be looking at $60 to $70 million dollars over the past 15 months because of Gus and his staffs buyouts, Harsin and his staffs buyouts and the new coach and his staff. That's insane!!! Because of that, I don't see Auburn paying a huge contract for the next coach. 

Also, Auburn has usually went with a coach that has Auburn ties. They went away from that practice when they hired Harsin and with the end result of that mess, I see them going back to the old ways of Good Ol' Boy Network. 

They'll definately want a coach with strong recruiting ties and a coach who has a good reputation with his players. 

When all of the above is factored in, plus it is a bad time of the year to find a coach, I realistically see these coaches as candidates. (Not my candidates but who I really think Auburn will wind up choosing from)

Will Muschamp (2 stops at Auburn, strong recruiter, has been SEC coach at 2 schools and wants to be HC again)

Eli Drinkwitz (was on staff at Auburn in 2010, coached under Gus and Harsin at Arky St. if I remember correctly, has recruited really well at Missouri, SEC head coach currently at Missouri)

Kevin Steele (has been at Auburn recently, strong recruiter that put alot of players in the NFL, knows the SEC from decades of experience, coached under Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne, Saban, Les Miles and Dabo Swinney, players always loved him, he wanted this head coaching job 1 year ago. The PTB wanted him and he would be a Yes Man for them)

Gene Chizik (I could see a scenario where he would be a last resort. Kinda how Mack Brown has came back to UNC)

Rhett Lashlee (just because he knows the school, he is young and would be very cheap and a puppet for the PTB)

In NO WAY would I want any of those candidates but I would about bet you that our next head coach will come from that list. I don't see us hiring Hugh Freeze. We didn't hire him 1 year ago and I don't think you could fire Harsin with all the rumors out there and then hire Hugh Freeze who had the same issues at Ole Miss. 

Wasn't trying to be harsh with my last post; I just re-read it. This is simply what I'm saying. Auburn has great tradition and is a good job, one of the best in college football. But you've got things working against you here, IF they fire Harsin or both parties pull the "mutual parting of the ways" thing that's so common now, and that's what I'm thinking will happen. They'll settle and Auburn will look a little better for it not "technically" being a firing.

Freeze and some of the people that have been mentioned, that second tier after the dream candidates, aren't bad at all and Freeze will be great if given another chance. But why expect a pie-in-the-sky candidate like Aranda? That isn't happening for a number of reasons.

Remember what Bill Parcells said: "Perception is reality."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Dave Aranda, Dell McGee, Stan Drayton, Charles Huff, Terry Price.