Head Coaching Search 2022

Zeek

51 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

It's not just the experience I'm looking at, I'm seeing this man pull some extraordinary talent that has no business going to JSU, Plus the man knows how to coach, he has been in and around football all his life and has been really good at it too.

He can recruit, He can coach, knows the lay of the land in the south, plus the press conferences and everything else would be amazing. 

I'm calling it now, if we don't end up with him somebody else will and he will dominate. 

All he needs is good coordinators around him and I think he can do that. He has connections.

He can but would he. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamZero77 said:

Everybody saying Fickell, Kiffin, Aranda, etc. are just setting yourselves up to be disappointed all over again. I've said it in other posts, LOOK AT OUR HIRING HISTORY ALL THE WAY BACK TO SHUG JORDAN. We aren't getting a "big name." The post earlier in this thread that said "it's not about who Auburn wants now, it's who would want Auburn now." As much as it hurts to say that, it's true. We aren't going to break the bank and go all in like Alabama did with Saban, Texas A&M did with Jimbo or LSU has done with Brian Kelly. I know alot of you will say Jimbo or Brian Kelly are overrated but you've got to think like a 17 or 18 year old kid and they've seen Brain Kelly in the playoffs a couple times and seen Jimbo win a Natty and beat Bama. Even the Mississippi schools have "name brand" coaches in Leach and Kiffin. Those 2 are in the news ALOT and on ESPN and they're characters. Sam Pittman is the least known coach in the West and he has done a phenomenal job at Arkansas. We are WAY behind in the SEC West when it comes to the popular coach and exciting offenses, etc. and that stuff matters!!!

As far as Fickell, just stop. He has NEVER been out of Ohio. He grew up in Ohio, went to school in Ohio, did all his asst coaching in Ohio and his head coaching has been all in Ohio. He ain't leaving!!! Especially with Cincy going to the Big12 now. Look at all the offers he has had to leave and he never would. So why would he come to Auburn, in this mess, when he turned down bigger jobs?

Dave Aranda just won the Big12 title and wouldn't budge when LSU came calling recently. And he won a Natty at LSU as DC and still chose to stay at Baylor. He is from Southern California and insiders say USC wanted him a few months ago but he wouldn't leave Baylor. So USC ponied up and got Lincoln Riley. Aranda is a strange cat and he is all about the fit and not the flash or money. We wouldn't offer him anyway and he wouldn't come here.

A large portion of our fanbase isn't grasping just how bad Auburn is looking right now because of firing Gus and his staff, then firing a coach after 1 season and gonna be paying his staff too. We are being viewed as a program with meddling boosters who will fire coaches 2 years after a Natty (Chizik), 8 years without a losing season (Malzahn) and now after 1 year (Harsin). I'm not being negative, just stating facts at how the world outside of Auburn views our football program right now.

I get where this is coming from. I too have been disappointed by Auburn hiring schlubs. But a lot of other SEC schools make it a habit of hiring guys like that. Until they don’t. LSU and Texas AM come to mind. Maybe this is our time! Don’t kill our dreams!

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I bet teams like  WY and Eastern Mich will call our AD, trying to get on the schedule.   

What? That doesn't make sense, if you don't like the Idea it's ok but damn, If you are going to critique make sense. 

We have weathered the storm with Bruce and boy has that worked out.  

I would welcome Freeze.   If we are going to get a black eye for being accused of stuff - let's go all in.  It's Raider-time. 

Lebby really intrigues me - he knows O saw how Lane K can use things like social media to help sell his program.

K  Briles - same as Lebby and knows FL -  I would take KB over Lebby

J Grimes may be my #2 with his background on the OL.  Gosh knows we have figure that out.  

Freeze - Grimes - little Briles, then Lebby

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I get where this is coming from. I too have been disappointed by Auburn hiring schlubs. But a lot of other SEC schools make it a habit of hiring guys like that. Until they don’t. LSU and Texas AM come to mind. Maybe this is our time! Don’t kill our dreams!

Not trying to kill dreams, I'm just trying to be realistic and tell y'all to not get your hopes up because the past has always shown that we get disappointed when our coaching hires are named. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

Hmmm.. amazing how Prime Time's brand is better than Auburn football now days. Strong enough to be sold on T.V.  by a billion-dollar company. Which Saban shared the limelight with, OVER AND OVER AGAIN. His salary is only $300.000 and net worth of around $40 million, which is not much now days for someone like him. So we can actually buy him.  BTW did you see the two major recruits he just got, which will follow him. He would have a top five class in his first year. WE HAVE A TALENT PROBLEM, THAT IS GETTING WOREST BY THE DAY! Yet, half the people want to hire a slimeball. Which will big ammo used against us in recruiting and would be the perfect fuel for skull dragging us on social media. Auburn football would instantly become a media daring, and, he has the hype ability like Bruce used to rebuild the basketball team. This is already getting positive feedback on twitter spaces, and a small push is being made.

Big risk due to lack of total experience, but we are in a risky place.

2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

What? That doesn't make sense, if you don't like the Idea it's ok but damn, If you are going to critique make sense. 

I agree whole heartily, just having fun.   Just saying, lots of teams are looking at Auburn as a wounded opponent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Come here? I think it's possible with the right amount of money. 

Hire good coordinators. By good I assumed you meant SEC experience. Everyone seems to think can’t recruit in SEC without it.

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Hire good coordinators. By good I assumed you meant SEC experience. Everyone seems to think can’t recruit in SEC without it.

Nope I believe he can get anybody he wants to succeed here. If their SEC experience coordinators okay, but the dude has connections and will be able to get any coach he wants.

coaches would love to come work for him. 

Edited by autiger88

14 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If we don’t do it now, we are going to get our brains beat in for years to come I fear

Edited by wcware

1 hour ago, shabby said:

The idea that Freeze is Gus 2.0 is ridiculous. What he did with Malik is all the proof you need that this comparison is ridiculous.

Oh he is definitely gus 2.0 -- there have been so many comparisons of the two over the past decade by various reporters and they're good buddies with a similar coaching style

I think of the names mentioned, Aranda would be the best hire but I don't think there's a prayer in getting him. Auburn would have to throw top 5 money at the guy and he'd still probably turn it down. He's got leverage and Baylor is a good program. 

Same with Fickell, who would be number two. 

Grimes is an idea I like. He was perhaps the most talented COACH on Chizik's staff, a strong recruiter and I have no doubt he would build a good staff. He also is very familiar with Auburn, which could be a bad thing. I certainly think our price tag would be higher. 

Freeze is the easiest choice, but the most dangerous. As risk-averse as our compliance staff is, it's hard to see us hiring him. As others have said, Pearl's offenses were pretty minor in comparison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VegasEagle said:

Fair, but, why?

Some people have problems with his Prime Time persona playing past. Scared of all the flash. But everybody in the league respected his work ethic and ability. Lockdown corner, true student of the college and Pro game and oh I almost forgot, election to the NFL Hall of Fame in 2011. Was a frequent league leader in key stats interceptions, punt return average, etc. Hosted NFL Sunday pregame shows, and played MLB baseball part time over bout 9 seasons. Not as well as Bo, but good enough to make a major league roster. 

Now he's a grown 50+ year old man, smooth as silk, and a great motivator and leader of those young guys he coaches. Works them hard and is preparing them for life. Lights out recruiter because he's an idol to all those young black athletes, and will be a red hot coaching commodity very soon. Serious fishmerman so that would be big bonding plus with some of our boosters. But those bubbas will never allow a black head coach at Auburn, especially not someone as showy as Prime Time was in his playing days. He was truly Prime Time- he backed it up. 

Might end up at alma mater FSU, or another major school soon. 

• Like 1

@Zeek, thank you for your detailed analysis when you make threads.  I know that takes a lot of time to make.

My understanding is Steele is not under consideration now or in the future.

31 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Not trying to kill dreams, I'm just trying to be realistic and tell y'all to not get your hopes up because the past has always shown that we get disappointed when our coaching hires are named. 

I dont think it's that Auburn cant get the big name/proven coach. I dont think people behind the scenes WANT the big name coach because said coach would have the credibility to tell them to screw off.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

Some people have problems with his Prime Time persona playing past. Scared of all the flash. But everybody in the league respected his work ethic and ability. Lockdown corner, true student of the college and Pro game and oh I almost forgot, election to the NFL Hall of Fame in 2011. Was a frequent league leader in key stats interceptions, punt return average, etc. Hosted NFL Sunday pregame shows, and played MLB baseball part time over bout 9 seasons. Not as well as Bo, but good enough to make a major league roster. 

Now he's a grown 50+ year old man, smooth as silk, and a great motivator and leader of those young guys he coaches. Works them hard and is preparing them for life. Lights out recruiter because he's an idol to all those young black athletes, and will be a red hot coaching commodity very soon. Serious fishmerman so that would be big bonding plus with some of our boosters. But those bubbas will never allow a black head coach at Auburn, especially not someone as showy as Prime Time was in his playing days. He was truly Prime Time- he backed it up. 

Might end up at alma mater FSU, or another major school soon. 

That’s a shame then because if talent is the name of the game Auburn would be loaded in short order.  If he didn’t work out after 4 or 5 years the next guy would at least have a stocked cupboard to work with.

• Like 1

You know, others are right. Guys like Steele, Grimes, and even Freeze aren't going to go head to head with Kirby recruiting wise. Sure, they'll do better than Harsin and maybe even Gus, but if we really want to compete for top 5 classes, you gotta go for someone like Prime or Dell and hope they have good coordinators 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

You know, others are right. Guys like Steele, Grimes, and even Freeze aren't going to go head to head with Kirby recruiting wise. Sure, they'll do better than Harsin and maybe even Gus, but if we really want to compete for top 5 classes, you gotta go for someone like Prime or Dell and hope they have good coordinators 

I’m all in for Dell

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

There’s not one single recruit that doesn’t know who Coach Prime is.  Instant cred.