Head Coaching Search 2022

Zeek

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Prime starting to grow on me. Clown coach for a clown football program.

Ok gotta ask why is he a clown coach? I'm just curious why so many people don't think he will be good. Please I'm asking seriously. 

I would like for Freeze, Briles, Grimes, and Rhule to get an interview.   Mark Stoops is also worth a discussion   

Others have mentioned Kiffin.   He recruits well.  He could maximize the NIL opportunities AU would offer, and he knows a thing or two about offense.  He would definitely need to ease up on his commitment to the analytics.   

Deion is a marketing genius and an absolute BOSS in recruiting.   If he is coupled with a great OC and DC, and let them do their thing, that could be a very good situation.   My concern would be what if those coordinators aren’t very good.  (see Tubs 2003 and 2008, or Gus 2013-14, etc.)

Fickell is a good coach, but after this fiasco with “a yankee outsider”, the PTB is going to be looking for Pat Dye Jr, Bo Jackson, or at least someone with the last name Davis (or maybe not after Austin’s twelve seconds on staff🤷‍♂️)

I know it’s going to happen, but I’m still going to throw up on my phone when Kevin Steele, Rhett Lashlee, and Will Muschamp are all in the final 4.🤦‍♂️   Hopefully we hire that 4th guy.  

• Like 1

Fickell - Though he's spent his entire career in and around Ohio, his current UC roster has 8 kids from FL (9 if you count the Bama transfer), 3 from GA, and a smattering of other states south of the Mason-Dixon line. His buyout should be down to $3-3.5M now

Grimes - Everyone here already knows him so, I'm not sure I need to add anything extra. He could be a cure for our OL issues (recruiting and teaching)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Ok gotta ask why is he a clown coach? I'm just curious why so many people don't think he will be good. Please I'm asking seriously. 

I’m looking for his coaching history and all I can find is he’s been HC at Jax st since 2020.  That’s not much coaching experience so other than the name novelty what is he bringing coaching wise to AU?

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I’m looking for his coaching history and all I can find is he’s been HC at Jax st since 2000.  That’s not much coaching experience so other than the name novelty what is he bringing coaching wise to AU?

It's not just the experience I'm looking at, I'm seeing this man pull some extraordinary talent that has no business going to JSU, Plus the man knows how to coach, he has been in and around football all his life and has been really good at it too.

He can recruit, He can coach, knows the lay of the land in the south, plus the press conferences and everything else would be amazing. 

I'm calling it now, if we don't end up with him somebody else will and he will dominate. 

All he needs is good coordinators around him and I think he can do that. He has connections.

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, au302 said:

If we can't compare Urban to BP than don't see how we can do the same for Freeze. Seriously, people on here were outraged about Harsin's daughters attire at games. Imagine the outcry if we hire Hugh, regardless of if he's been punished. Back up the brinks to Fickell, Rhule, and Aranda in that order. When they say no, hire Grimes or Lebby

Because Urban and BP aren't in the same stratosphere as far as what they did. BP lied to the NCAA about a barbeque. Urban Meyer slept with a cheerleader at Florida (not common knowledge but the guy is a dbag so I dont mind saying it) and actively protected his physical and emotionally abusive WR coach for YEARS whole knowing what was going on. 

Edit: I now see that I misunderstood what you were saying. Completely my fault. You weren't in any way defending Urban Meyer as a coach selection. You were saying you cant defend Freeze and not defend Meyer.

Edited by AUFightingSoldiers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Because Urban and BP aren't in the same stratosphere as far as what they did. BP lied to the NCAA about a barbeque. Urban Meyer slept with a cheerleader at Florida (not common knowledge but the guy is a dbag so I dont mind saying it) and actively protected his physical and emotionally abusive WR coach for YEARS whole knowing what was going on. 

Edit: I now see that I misunderstood what you were saying. Completely my fault. You weren't in any way defending Urban Meyer as a coach selection. You were saying you cant defend Freeze and not defend Meyer.

No worries. I could've worded that better, lol

I am a big Harsin supporter and think what's happening to him is utter crap.  However, I would be fine with firing him if we hired Dave Aranda. He has SEC experience (LSU DC), is a proven winner, still young, has already won the Big-12, and is just a very capable coach. He also has no history of scandal or intrigue.

But there is about a 1% chance AU could land him.  He has a large buy-out at Baylor and I am positive their donors would pony up even more to keep him if necessary. And even if AU said money is no object, I STILL doubt he comes to this utter mess.  AU's name is mud in the coaching world right now (it's just a fact).

Other than Aranda, I would be excited about very few other realistic candidates.  Grimes might be tolerable.  Lebby might be alright.  The rest on your list are awful.

23 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Can I ask why? Dude is gonna be dangerous when he gets moved up. Better us then whoever else. 

Hmmm.. amazing how Prime Time's brand is better than Auburn football now days. Strong enough to be sold on T.V.  by a billion-dollar company. Which Saban shared the limelight with, OVER AND OVER AGAIN. His salary is only $300.000 and net worth of around $40 million, which is not much now days for someone like him. So we can actually buy him.  BTW did you see the two major recruits he just got, which will follow him. He would have a top five class in his first year. WE HAVE A TALENT PROBLEM, THAT IS GETTING WOREST BY THE DAY! Yet, half the people want to hire a slimeball. Which will big ammo used against us in recruiting and would be the perfect fuel for skull dragging us on social media. Auburn football would instantly become a media daring, and, he has the hype ability like Bruce used to rebuild the basketball team. This is already getting positive feedback on twitter spaces, and a small push is being made.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, shabby said:

The idea that Freeze is Gus 2.0 is ridiculous. What he did with Malik is all the proof you need that this comparison is ridiculous.

They're both known quantities... being that they are both 4+ loss coaches. Are you going to act like Nick Marshall and Cam Newton didn't make Gus look competent? Liberty lost 5 games last year with Willis. What's going to happen next year without him?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

I am a big Harsin supporter and think what's happening to him is utter crap.  However, I would be fine with firing him if we hired Dave Aranda. He has SEC experience (LSU DC), is a proven winner, still young, has already won the Big-12, and is just a very capable coach. He also has no history of scandal or intrigue.

But there is about a 1% chance AU could land him.  He has a large buy-out at Baylor and I am positive their donors would pony up even more to keep him if necessary. And even if AU said money is no object, I STILL doubt he comes to this utter mess.  AU's name is mud in the coaching world right now (it's just a fact).

Other than Aranda, I would be excited about very few other realistic candidates.  Grimes might be tolerable.  Lebby might be alright.  The rest on your list are awful.

I would love Aranda but he is in the unrealistic category with Fickel in my mind. Actually Aranda would be even more unrealistic than Fickell IMO. 

2 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

Hmmm.. amazing how Prime Time's brand is better than Auburn football now days. Strong enough to be sold on T.V.  by a billion-dollar company. Which Saban shared the limelight with, OVER AND OVER AGAIN. His salary is only $300.000 and net worth of around $40 million, which is not much now days for someone like him. So we can actually buy him.  BTW did you see the two major recruits he just got, which will follow him. He would have a top five class in his first year. WE HAVE A TALENT PROBLEM, THAT IS GETTING WOREST BY THE DAY! Yet, half the people want to hire a slimeball. Which will big ammo used against us in recruiting and would be the perfect fuel for skull dragging us on social media. Auburn football would instantly become a media daring, and, he has the hype ability like Bruce used to rebuild the basketball team. This is already getting positive feedback on twitter spaces, and a small push is being made.

Oh I agree that's basically what I said above you, I believe some posters just can't see the big picture. It's not always just about xs and os.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

I have to admit, charisma wise, it would be a home run hire.  Instant name recognition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

Oh I agree that's basically what I said above you, I believe some posters just can't see the big picture. It's not always just about xs and os.

Exactly! Saben is not a good x and o man. He did it with multiply top five rated class's. Prime Time sells to young recruits. Look at THE RECRUITS HE IS PULLING TO THAT SMALL SCHOOL! Proof is in the pudding! 

7 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I have to admit, charisma wise, it would be a home run hire.  Instant name recognition.

Correct, we do not have the luxury to rebuild, after this damage. We are facing three or four bad years of football. Read that last sentence again. YEARS! Just like Bama did, WE NEED A SPLASH HIRE! There are several SEC teams lining up to kick our ass! 

Get your ass on the airplane with a blank check, and, don't come back without him. Same as Bama did!

Edited by VegasEagle

49 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Hugh Freeze will be Gus 2.0 but with way more personal and NCAA baggage.

I’d argue Freeze is basically anti-Gus. The only thing they have in common is that they coached in the high school level, coached at Ark State, and wear visors. I guess both have children that attended auburn.  

Their offense really isn’t that similar if that’s why you called Gus 2.0. 

But since I commented; Freeze or Grimes for me. I can get onboard with Rhule just because he’s a pure program builder who hires good coordinators, but I don’t think this is a realistic get. 

• Like 1

image.gif.3d67ce3f2eaf81c21074ee6b53ee54d7.gif

alright! This is the stuff I live for on here! I’m going Fickell, Freeze, Grimes! But…keep an eye on Petrino, Stoops, Patterson, Cristobal, and of course Jeff Fisher. Let’s bring back the old band!

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

Correct, we do not have the luxury to rebuild, after this damage. We are facing three or four bad years of football. Read that last sentence again. YEARS! Just like Bama did, WE NEED A SPLASH HIRE! There are several SEC teams lining up to kick our ass! 

It would be a big balls hire for sure.  That’s why I can’t see it happen at Auburn.  If they did pull the trigger AU would have two of the most charismatic HC’s in the SEC.

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

I bet teams like  WY and Eastern Mich will call our AD, trying to get on the schedule.   

Everybody saying Fickell, Kiffin, Aranda, etc. are just setting yourselves up to be disappointed all over again. I've said it in other posts, LOOK AT OUR HIRING HISTORY ALL THE WAY BACK TO SHUG JORDAN. We aren't getting a "big name." The post earlier in this thread that said "it's not about who Auburn wants now, it's who would want Auburn now." As much as it hurts to say that, it's true. We aren't going to break the bank and go all in like Alabama did with Saban, Texas A&M did with Jimbo or LSU has done with Brian Kelly. I know alot of you will say Jimbo or Brian Kelly are overrated but you've got to think like a 17 or 18 year old kid and they've seen Brain Kelly in the playoffs a couple times and seen Jimbo win a Natty and beat Bama. Even the Mississippi schools have "name brand" coaches in Leach and Kiffin. Those 2 are in the news ALOT and on ESPN and they're characters. Sam Pittman is the least known coach in the West and he has done a phenomenal job at Arkansas. We are WAY behind in the SEC West when it comes to the popular coach and exciting offenses, etc. and that stuff matters!!!

As far as Fickell, just stop. He has NEVER been out of Ohio. He grew up in Ohio, went to school in Ohio, did all his asst coaching in Ohio and his head coaching has been all in Ohio. He ain't leaving!!! Especially with Cincy going to the Big12 now. Look at all the offers he has had to leave and he never would. So why would he come to Auburn, in this mess, when he turned down bigger jobs?

Dave Aranda just won the Big12 title and wouldn't budge when LSU came calling recently. And he won a Natty at LSU as DC and still chose to stay at Baylor. He is from Southern California and insiders say USC wanted him a few months ago but he wouldn't leave Baylor. So USC ponied up and got Lincoln Riley. Aranda is a strange cat and he is all about the fit and not the flash or money. We wouldn't offer him anyway and he wouldn't come here.

A large portion of our fanbase isn't grasping just how bad Auburn is looking right now because of firing Gus and his staff, then firing a coach after 1 season and gonna be paying his staff too. We are being viewed as a program with meddling boosters who will fire coaches 2 years after a Natty (Chizik), 8 years without a losing season (Malzahn) and now after 1 year (Harsin). I'm not being negative, just stating facts at how the world outside of Auburn views our football program right now.

• Love 1