Coach Mason

Proud Tiger

44 minutes ago, provibe said:

Just like it did with all the other rumors on here 

Find me one other example even close to the Mason departure.

It's clear CDM wanted to get away from coaching in Harsin's program. Took a paycut, to a worse job, in a crumbling conference. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

How many of the rumors of the past week aligned with the reality of how things occurred?

The Mason wanting to leave move was also a rumor on here and outside of here for weeks too. How did that rumor end up? 

Yup. Bo leaving was a rumor too. Lots of stuff folks get wrong. But I'd say the rumors on here are usually right, and almost always based on something in the vicinity that turns out to be true. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Find me one other example even close to the Mason departure.

It's clear CDM wanted to get away from coaching in Harsin's program. Took a paycut, to a worse job, in a crumbling conference. 

I don’t know why he l

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Yup. Bo leaving was a rumor too. Lots of stuff folks get wrong. But I'd say the rumors on here are usually right, and almost always based on something in the vicinity that turns out to be true. 

Yeah like Harsin was going to be fired in 24 hrs 

29 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Wow I get a downvote from you of all people. Care to say why?

Because people keep trying to act like there must be some other reason besides Mason having serious issues with Harsin.

It's bad. But it's true. There's no need to be in denial about that. 

When a good coach has a lot of great recruits to work with, he looks like a great coach.  See Alabama and Georgia for confirmation.

I'm an amateur competition steak cook, just having fun and not winning much, but I can tell you this: 90% of winning, among like-skilled opponents, comes down to one thing: good steak selection.

AU football didn't get many good (much less great) steaks in recruiting this year.  It will have an impact over time.

It’s like some of you have never had a job before. Sometimes bosses are demanding and aholes. You either deal with it and meet expectations or move on. Our DC moved on. Until our former DC comes out and says something you are speculating. I suspect after being a head coach he had forgotten what it was like to be told he was doing a crappy job. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Butthead said:

It’s like some of you have never had a job before. Sometimes bosses are demanding and aholes. You either deal with it and meet expectations or move on. Our DC moved on. Until our former DC comes out and says something you are speculating. I suspect after being a head coach he had forgotten what it was like to be told he was doing a crappy job. 

And he was.  Until the Alabama game, which was blip on the radar screen, it seems.

4 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

And he was.  Until the Alabama game, which was blip on the radar screen, it seems.

I read on this forum that DM did not call the IB. Our new DC called it. Is it true? Idk. But I did read that here & it would make sense considering how different we looked, scheme wise. Maybe I’m one of the few that’s happy DM is gone. Got tired of seeing that 20 yard cushion. Good riddance. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I read on this forum that DM did not call the IB. Our new DC called it. Is it true? Idk. But I did read that here & it would make sense considering how different we looked, scheme wise. Maybe I’m one of the few that’s happy DM is gone. Got tired of seeing that 20 yard cushion. Good riddance. 

I don't disagree.  Miss State game was a debacle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

That makes two of us.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I don't disagree.  Miss State game was a debacle.

I was at that game with my step dad….mannnn. I was talking play-off hypotheticals at one point in that game…boy did that come back to bite me. lol 

Edited by TAYLORKEETON

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It’s been a great evening! 

Grilled some filets and ribeyes. Baked taters in the oven. 

I need to get down your way just so we can eat great food until we're stupid (ok, a short trip), and wash it all down with tasty beverages.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, ertrader said:

Mason resigned I believe so we don’t owe him any kind of buyout

Right but I meant Vandy may still be paying him. Using easy numbers to make an example, if Vandy owed him $2M a year for x years and we were paying him $1.5M, Vandy would pick up the remaining $0.5M. If he goes to OSU and only makes $1M, then Vandy has to pick up the remaining $1M so it’s no different for him.  

No idea what his buyout was from Vandy or if it would ever work like that, just a theory I was bouncing around in my head. 

Why'd he leave? Writing on the wall. He's not defending Chip Kelly and Oregon now. Look at Mississippi St. and Alabama games and you've got your answer. Would have been better if he was fired, but for some reason, he was allowed to resign.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I was at that game with my step dad….mannnn. I was talking play-off hypotheticals at one point in that game…boy did that come back to bite me. lol 

We all did that.  Before TAM: 6-2, with 2 "good losses".  Facing TAM on the road with talk of "Harsin for Coach of the Year".

Then the freaking wheels came off.  Five straight losses when we held double-digit leads in most games, including the Iron Bowl.  Bad decisions by our coaching staff (and Tank Bigsby for going out of bounds when he was obviously told before the play to stay in bounds; lay blame where it is appropriate) cost us the Iron Bowl.  Which was probably our best chance of winning it in the next 6 years, based upon recruiting differences between us and them..

I drank the Kool-aid.  It was orange flavored and very good - at the time.  Now I'm thinking it was poison instead of standard Kool-aid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Why'd he leave? Writing on the wall. He's not defending Chip Kelly and Oregon now. Look at Mississippi St. and Alabama games and you've got your answer. Would have been better if he was fired, but for some reason, he was allowed to resign.

Was the Alabama inclusion trolling?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Hey D-Mo, I know the offense has been in the bottom quadrant of the conference as of late. And our starting QB can’t move and is getting hawked down by the best pass rusher of this generation. And we can’t figure out how to get a single passing yard in the 4th quarter. And we’re going against the #1 offense in football, #1 QB in the sport, #1 WR duo, all that jazz. And you held them to 10 points through 4 quarters, zero up until Alabama realized we literally can’t move the ball forward…

But I don’t think you did a good job D-Mo! You coulda did better!” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Was the Alabama inclusion trolling?

Only if the rumors of Schemedding  having more input into the increased pressure are illegitimate. Past results would indicate Mason's bend don't break no pressure defense would have resulted in massive Alabama points. Just my take though.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Something NOBODY is talking about, again referencing the timeline.  Resigned on 1/22...not immediately but four days later on 1/26 he accepted the OSU offer.  If nothing else, it's not a stretch to believe Harsin wasn't going to put up with less than 100% allegiance.  He was pushed and those four days are what cost him the $ half million .....

From Mason (on 1/26) - 

"After meaningful discussions with Coach Gundy these past few weeks about his vision for the program, it became apparent that leading the defense for the Cowboys was the right fit for me," Mason said in a statement. "I look forward to working with the student-athletes, coaches and staff as they continue to build a winning culture of success, inclusion and integrity on and off the field."

I find the last phrase from Mason almost comical, knowing where Gundy goes for his news. 

At the very least, Harsin had probably told him to fish or cut bait.  When he decided to cut bait, the replacement was announced immediately; Harsin (on 1/22) -

"Coach Schmedding was at Coach Mason's side day after day getting our defense prepared and ready. He is a tremendous defensive coach, who has coordinated championship defenses and is a proven winner. I know our defense will take the next steps forward under Coach Schmedding's leadership."

Meanwhile back in Stillwater, on Pokes Report one of their guys not believing anything was done and might not happen (on 1/21) -

"We know that he wanted out at Auburn and that a new DC was coming in at Auburn.

Im sure the Auburn site is tuned in to what is going on at Auburn in terms of coaches but we have the best sources at Oklahoma State and we feel confident that this is not happening in the way it is being reported. Could he becoming DC? Sure, but we don't think its imminent or as far into the process as some are reporting."

And... why does it matter where he gets his news. Stupid statement.