Coach Mason

Proud Tiger

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Only if the rumors of Schemedding  having more input into the increased pressure are illegitimate. Past results would indicate Mason's bend don't break no pressure defense would have resulted in massive Alabama points. Just my take though.

Here’s my constant response to that: the Houston game 

Who called the Houston game? 

15 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Here’s my constant response to that: the Houston game 

Who called the Houston game? 

Houston scored 17 points…that loss was not the defense in my opinion (no matter who was calling it). Houston had a good offense…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Butthead said:

It’s like some of you have never had a job before. Sometimes bosses are demanding and aholes. You either deal with it and meet expectations or move on. Our DC moved on. Until our former DC comes out and says something you are speculating. I suspect after being a head coach he had forgotten what it was like to be told he was doing a crappy job. 

Man. See this is exactly what I’m talking about. People trying to rationalize or brush it off. Again, find me a comparable example if this just part of the normal coaching carousel.

And for the record, coaching major college football is not comparable to hardly any career field out there. Honestly. It is so wildly different from pay scale to work-life balance to relocation to job security to coworkers to internal and external pressure.

If you really think “Harsin being a demanding boss” is the reason a man would take a 400 grand paycut, move 500 miles to Stillwater, Oklahoma, for a lateral job at a worse school in a bad conference where he has no connections… 

Then you must be new to football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Check with Chuba Hubbard.  Set off a ****storm in Stillwater when the picture surfaced.  

Where he gets his news is his business. The fact that you brought it up, is juvenile. I guess you believe in censorship, huh? I am fully aware of the situation, and they were out of line. I guess Mason shouldn't have went there, because he doesn't watch an approved news source in their opinion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Was the Alabama inclusion trolling?

It annoys me so much when guys apply old school metrics to new school football.

With the spread, HUNH, targeting, and rules favoring offensive production, point totals are totally different than they used to be. It’s literally like inflation for football.

When you look at a final score these days, take 10 points off each team’s total, and that’s what it would have translated to in the old days. 

These old dudes will look at allowing them 17 to Houston or 20 to Ole Miss and think that’s too much. It’s insanity.

If you can hold an opposing team under 24 these days, that should be enough to win. In the pre spread era, that expectation was around 14-17. 

TLDR - Mason was excellent for every game outside Mississippi State and Penn State. Anybody who says otherwise doesn’t understand modern football and didn’t appreciate what we had this past season with Mason. Maybe it serves us right he left.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Why do people generally leave for the same position somewhere else less prestigious for a 27% pay cut?  The normal reasons:

• Better opportunity for promotions and advancement
• Better work environment
• Couldn't work for the previous boss any longer
• New position is closer to home, kids/parents, or extended family
• Spouse had a big time job opportunity in the area
• Better job security - new situation is more stable
• Ethical or philosophical disagreements with previous employer

There are probably a few others but I think this covers about 99% of the reasons someone might take $400,000 less to do the same job somewhere else.

I think some deductive reasoning can eliminate a few of these.  

Better opportunity for promotions and advancement - Mason has already been a head coach and has a well established track record as a DC.  His prospects of getting another HC somewhere aren't improved by moving.

New position is closer to home, kids/parents, or extended family - Mason doesn't have any roots in the Oklahoma area.

Spouse had a big time job opportunity in the area - There's no indication or even a hint that this move was made to allow Mrs. Mason to pursue a career opportunity.

So we're left with the following:

I think you could reasonably make a case that any or all of these reasons played into his decision.  I can tell you that what I've heard was that he and Harsin didn't see eye to eye on the basic philosophy of how to run a program, and specifically how to handle and relate to the players.  I heard he took particular exception to the way Kobe Hudson's situation was handled.  But those aren't facts I can verify for you.

If anyone can think of another reason to add to the mix, have at it.  But I think if you hover in the vicinity of those four, you're probably in safe airspace.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

After all the dust has settled from the Harsin fiasco, one thing that has kind of got lost for me is the mystery of the Coach mason move. I would sure like to know why he left for Oklahoma St. at less salary. I've heard some things but one lesson I've learned in all this mess is not to post anything that isn't supported by that seemingly obsolete thing called facts.  Anybody know why Mason left besides him?

Only Coach Mason knows for sure.  Any other reason from anyone else is mind-reading from the peanut gallery, no matter how it's presented as some sort of 'logic.'  Most of that 'logic' is just some re-hashed butt-hurt version of 'It's Harsin's fault.'

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Where he gets his news is his business. The fact that you brought it up, is juvenile. I guess you believe in censorship, huh? I am fully aware of the situation, and they were out of line. I guess Mason shouldn't have went there, because he doesn't watch an approved news source in their opinion. 

Nope.

Frankly, I had to laugh to keep from screaming.  Since you push for an explanation, I'll give you my take.

I took the statement at face value, not a toss away, and as an attempt to throw shade at the Auburn program and likely added fuel to the accusation that Harsin was racist.  The reality is that there is probably as much or more evidence that Gundy/OSU is as uninclusive as Auburn.  It's my experience and belief, over my 56 year lifetime, that amateur sports is the only place in this country that doesn't need that agenda crammed down it's collective throat (never served in the military, so I can't comment there).  When I was  a 17 year old walk on catcher at Auburn in '83, there was one black player, Dewayne Friend, that was a man among boys and the consumate teammate.  He oozed leadership, compassion and grit from his pores.  To say he was beloved wouldn't come close.  That's my experience and belief.  Again, the statement was disingenious and timed for effect, unfortunately I believe it hit the intended target.  It's obvious that just because he coached at Stanford and Vandy, doesn't mean he has degrees from Stanford and Vandy.  TIFWIW.

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It annoys me so much when guys apply old school metrics to new school football.

With the spread, HUNH, targeting, and rules favoring offensive production, point totals are totally different than they used to be. It’s literally like inflation for football.

When you look at a final score these days, take 10 points off each team’s total, and that’s what it would have translated to in the old days. 

These old dudes will look at allowing them 17 to Houston or 20 to Ole Miss and think that’s too much. It’s insanity.

If you can hold an opposing team under 24 these days, that should be enough to win. In the pre spread era, that expectation was around 14-17. 

TLDR - Mason was excellent for every game outside Mississippi State and Penn State. Anybody who says otherwise doesn’t understand modern football and didn’t appreciate what we had this past season with Mason. Maybe it serves us right he left.

This is literally true. I ran the numbers in another thread. In 2000 total points per game was about 40. It’s right at 60 now. Given our offense’s inability to run when it had to, Mason did a very strong job this year.

Even against State, the D just collapsed because it got not breaks. Read the play chart. You can’t let a run and shoot team just keep snapping the ball.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Nope.

Frankly, I had to laugh to keep from screaming.  Since you push for an explanation, I'll give you my take.

I took the statement at face value, not a toss away, and as an attempt to throw shade at the Auburn program and likely added fuel to the accusation that Harsin was racist.  The reality is that there is probably as much or more evidence that Gundy/OSU is as uninclusive as Auburn.  It's my experience and belief, over my 56 year lifetime, that amateur sports is the only place in this country that doesn't need that agenda crammed down it's collective throat (never served in the military, so I can't comment there).  When I was  a 17 year old walk on catcher at Auburn in '83, there was one black player, Dewayne Friend, that was a man among boys and the consumate teammate.  He oozed leadership, compassion and grit from his pores.  To say he was beloved wouldn't come close.  That's my experience and belief.  Again, the statement was disingenious and timed for effect, unfortunately I believe it hit the intended target.  It's obvious that just because he coached at Stanford and Vandy, doesn't mean he has degrees from Stanford and Vandy.  TIFWIW.

Your bizarre mention of where the man got his news, shows a stylized statement,  consistent with the imagery in your biased mind. In other words,  horsefeathers. 

• Facepalm 2

Look, CDM is clearly a smart man and coach, and also a good man. It's clear that his philosophy is opposite of Harsin's, and that's ok. It's a different beast at a school like Auburn than Vanderbilt. There's pressure and it's intense. It's on Harsin for not realizing that and hiring him.

By all accounts Schmedding is a good dude too, and he's put up with Harsin for years now. It is what it is. At the end of the day, we are where we're at, and mistakes made by all. Hopefully Jeff is a good DC and has the players respect

• Like 3

I tried to fire Mason after Arkansas.  He’s a good name and good recruiting but he was never a long term answer.  When I think of Mason I think of Auburn’s D giving up multiple 3rd and longs and Mississippi State.  The Pirate knew he had us beat when they were down by 21+

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer Brown said:

…a stylized statement,  consistent with the imagery in your biased mind.

Hahahaha, you mean opinion. You write like Don King, but the dead giveaway on your comprehension level…

12 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

…Mason shouldn't have went there….

Literary brilliance. 

20 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So because he doesn't buy into the mainstream media who has been proven to be biased and unreliable at the very least, that means Coach Gundy doesn't run a program with inclusion and integrity? 

Mod edit:  Leave any and all political comments in the politics forum.  DO NOT POST THAT HERE. 

• Like 1

People mentioning the miss st game but not thinking or having any understanding of the match up and actual football played that game hurts my head so bad

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Why do people generally leave for the same position somewhere else less prestigious for a 27% pay cut?  The normal reasons:

• Better opportunity for promotions and advancement
• New position is closer to home, kids/parents, or extended family
• Spouse had a big time job opportunity in the area

There are probably a few others but I think this covers about 99% of the reasons someone might take $400,000 less to do the same job somewhere else.

I think some deductive reasoning can eliminate a few of these.  

Better opportunity for promotions and advancement - Mason has already been a head coach and has a well established track record as a DC.  His prospects of getting another HC somewhere aren't improved by moving.

New position is closer to home, kids/parents, or extended family - Mason doesn't have any roots in the Oklahoma area.

Spouse had a big time job opportunity in the area - There's no indication or even a hint that this move was made to allow Mrs. Mason to pursue a career opportunity.

So we're left with the following:

I think you could reasonably make a case that any or all of these reasons played into his decision.  I can tell you that what I've heard was that he and Harsin didn't see eye to eye on the basic philosophy of how to run a program, and specifically how to handle and relate to the players.  I heard he took particular exception to the way Kobe Hudson's situation was handled.  But those aren't facts I can verify for you.

If anyone can think of another reason to add to the mix, have at it.  But I think if you hover in the vicinity of those four, you're probably in safe airspace.

I think it’s also possible that he knew what Harsin was about to be facing regarding the “investigation”. Having been in football as long as he has, he knows when the power brokers put a bullseye on your back, the chance of survival are slim to none. Is it possible he knew every bit of the BS that was about to be spewed by the media and he wanted to get away from it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

People mentioning the miss st game but not thinking or having any understanding of the match up and actual football played that game hurts my head so bad

I’m not going to look it up but I would bet the number of offensive plays they ran in the second half compared to us would be eye popping. We were gassed and they were eating us alive.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

I’m not going to look it up but I would bet the number of offensive plays they ran in the second half compared to us would be eye popping. We were gassed and they were eating us alive.

Yes. There's so much to that game than look at defense against miss st.....like people have to know that

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wcware said:

I think it’s also possible that he knew what Harsin was about to be facing regarding the “investigation”. Having been in football as long as he has, he knows when the power brokers put a bullseye on your back, the chance of survival are slim to none. Is it possible he knew every bit of the BS that was about to be spewed by the media and he wanted to get away from it? 

Mason would have been in prime position to either be named new HC or to stay on as DC.  He was very well respected and liked among the power brokers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Mason would have been in prime position to either be named new HC or to stay on as DC.  He was very well respected and liked among the power brokers.

You know I thought about that. I thought he had to know a bunch of this was brewing, so that then made me think what was going on so bad that would make him leave what he had to know may be a great opportunity for him. 

2 hours ago, wcware said:

Okay. I’ll bite. Why would Mason flee this? If Harsin gets fired he either gets retained by the next Auburn coach, BECOMES the next Auburn coach, or finds another job instantly. I don’t understand the logic of him “jumping ship”. Why would he need to? His resume speaks for itself and he would be fine if the Auburn football program closed up tomorrow.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I usually credit our fan base with being pretty smart. This is the first time I think I’ve seen our fans truly not have any clue about a coach. The guy is an 8 or 9 out of 10, and everyone acts like he was a fledgling 3 or 4 desperate for a job.

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 2

Is there any chance that Mason knew about the investigation into others' complaints and felt like Harsin would be replaced and wanted to leave before it happened?

14 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Is there any chance that Mason knew about the investigation into others' complaints and felt like Harsin would be replaced and wanted to leave before it happened?

This was just asked and my response is: why would a Mason be scared of being here when Harsin is replaced? He’d likely be retained or become the next HC.