Men vs Miami Game Thread

Maverick.AU

2 minutes ago, creed said:

Just a question. Is Kessler a center that plays like a forward or a forward that doesn't really play like a center?

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but Kess projects at the 5 because of his defense but has the ability to step out and shot 8 - 10 feet. I know before the season i read that he really wants to develop his offensive game and was hoping to showcase that he can step out and hit some shots. Our offense didn't develop into that b/c we were pick and role heavy to start the year and it worked well until it didn't anymore. He didn't really have opportunities he should've had on offense b/c our guards couldn't knock down shots consistently.

Defense was packed inside constantly on our bigs and guards driving. He also needs to improve on passing out of the double teams. An extra year could do him a lot of good but i understand if he decides to not come back. His defense alone will get him some minutes off the bench in the NBA.

2 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

This 100%. Kessler transferred from North Carolina for 2 reasons. The first and main reason he left UNC is because he didn't want to be a "back to the basket" player. The 2nd reason he left is more a reason he came to Auburn and that is because Jabari would be here and Kessler felt like this could be a special season. Bruce actually mentioned both of these recently as being the 2 reason Kessler came here. 

That sounds like he is a forward. I've seen some on here predict him as a first rounder but I don't see a team selecting him in the first unless he can prove his 3pt, mid range shooting and FT ability.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Multiple Miami players said in their press conference that they’ve seen great teams all year and weren’t particularly impressed with Auburn. They got asked about Jabari (and his dunk ad nauseam) and the beat writers kept referring to our All-Americans and asking how they can be stopped. These guys were ready and they talked the talk and walked the walk. That was dominating and they looked much better in every phase including coaching and scheme. We were fortunate it was as close as it was at halftime quite frankly. We were simply outclassed tonight. Back to the drawing board. 

This Miami team beat both Duke and UNC.  I was rooting hard for USC the other day because they were a better matchup for us.

Oh well.  Sucks now, but this team still did things no other AU team has ever done.  Fun damn season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Multiple Miami players said in their press conference that they’ve seen great teams all year and weren’t particularly impressed with Auburn. They got asked about Jabari (and his dunk ad nauseam) and the beat writers kept referring to our All-Americans and asking how they can be stopped. These guys were ready and they talked the talk and walked the walk. That was dominating and they looked much better in every phase including coaching and scheme. We were fortunate it was as close as it was at halftime quite frankly. We were simply outclassed tonight. Back to the drawing board. 

Regarding Miami players and what was said I wouldn’t expect anything less from them. They will more often than not have something cocky to say. They won but that team is filled with juniors and seniors

2 minutes ago, creed said:

That sounds like he is a forward. I've seen some on here predict him as a first rounder but I don't see a team selecting him in the first unless he can prove his 3pt, mid range shooting and FT ability.

He's projected as late 1st or early 2nd round. He's a 5 but he needs to be able to show he can hit the 8 - 10ft. NBA is all pick and roll. He can hit that shot. 

Something else to think about regarding Kessler. Maybe he was playing hurt. He got his shoulder extended pretty good in that last game.

I'm surprised no one is talking about Kessler not playing virtually at all in the 2nd half (of course foul trouble kept him out of the 1st half, but that wasn't the issue in the 2nd half). Neither did Cardwell. I don't remember any time during the season when neither of those guys played. Anybody got a sense of what was going on there? My sister was at the game & said that during 1 time out in the 2nd half (maybe the under 16) Jabari was up in Kessler's face (after the 2nd time they both failed to hit put backs). I'm not sure Kessler played after that. Just so odd. All season folks said we might have the best front court in the country, but tonight Kessler played 6 minutes & Jabari had his worst game.

Beyond that, when I saw the ages & years of experience of the Miami guys before the game, I thought, "Uh oh." There have been a number of games when I thought our youth & immaturity really showed, & tonight was 1 of them. Bruce said before that we panicked in past games, & we clearly did so tonight. In the past it was primarily our guards, but tonight I thought it was more the front court which is our strength. How many missed put backs? How many rushed shots on Jabari's part? The guards weren't great, of course, but the strength of our team was awful tonight.

So, a disappointing end to a good season. I expect growth & maturity from our guards heading into next season. And I hope Bruce can mine the portal like he did for this year. War Eagle!

Edited by TigerTennis80
  • Like 1

This team was fun but different than other pearl teams. Talented yes. But wasn’t nearly as fast, slashing,  and dynamic.  And we really haven’t had great perimeter shooting since 2019. 

Villanova's coach, Jay Wright, was doing an interview thursday and talked about why you see so many upsets in college basketball but mainly in the NCAA Tourney. He said his team, Gonzaga and some others always keep their guys for multiple years and most of their players stay the full 4 years. He said the mid major schools also have teams with alot of 3 and 4 year players on them because they're not putting many players into the NBA. He said with the "1 and done" being so popular now at bigger schools that his team, Gonzaga and other teams that have Junior and senior heavy teams have an advantage because their guys have built so much chemistry and it really shows. 

With the transfers on this years Auburn team, as well as Jabari being new, I think we did a great job all in all. I know we are full of emotions right now and are disappointed we didn't go farther but as time goes by, we will all be happy this team finished 28-6 and won the SEC, got to be AP #1 for 3 weeks and had hopefully the #1 pick in the NBA draft playing for us. It's SOOOO tough to win the NCAA Tournament because you've got to have 6 almost perfect games. We didn't have those perfect games but the sun will still rise in the morning and we will still love Auburn. It's gonna be ok. WDE

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 4

Defense harassed Jared or Bryce and they could kick it to Danjel/Samir/Malik to knock down shots. Jabari and Kessler get hounded and they kick it to Flan/Cambridge/KD and it's basically a guaranteed brick. We need shooters period 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, e808 said:

That’s been pretty much the  theme for every loss. A decision has to be made. Do u think the guards will be better with another year under their belt or do u seek better talent.  The team next year could look a little different or entirely different only time will tell

I think Flan and Jaylin are our best players next year. KD is gonna have to improve his 3 point shot and Wendell has to make better decisions. We definitely need another guard. 

2 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I'm surprised no one is talking about Kessler not playing virtually at all in the 2nd half. Neither did Cardwell. I don't remember any time during the season when neither of those guys played. Anybody got a sense of what was going on there? My sister was at the game & said that during 1 time out (maybe the under 16) Jabari was up in Kessler's face (after the 2nd time they both failed to hit put backs). I'm not sure Kessler played after that. Just so odd. All season folks said we might have the best front court in the country, but tonight Kessler played 6 minutes & Jabari had his worst game.

Beyond that, when I saw the ages & years of experience of the Miami guys before the game, I thought, "Uh oh." There have been a number of games when I thought our youth & immaturity really showed, & tonight was 1 of them. Bruce said before that we panicked in past games, & we clearly did so tonight. In the past it was primarily our guards, but tonight I thought it was more the front court which is our strength. How many missed put backs? How many rushed shots on Jabari's part? The guards weren't great, of course, but the strength of our team was awful tonight.

So, a disappointing end to a good season. I expect growth & maturity from our guards heading into next season. And I hope Bruce can mine the portal like he did for this year. War Eagle!

Because they didn’t match up with Miami well. Miami plays small ball and fast. Their tallest player is literally a stretch 4. Also, the bench players were contributing more on offense. Jabari and Kess were missing bunnies at the rim all night. Bruce was hoping the bench could give us a spark. 

Kess may be injured but I just think he didn’t have a good game. It is what it is.

• Like 1

Miami may be small, but Dear Lord they could jump and blocked a ton of shots. Kessler and Jabari were just getting blown by.  The 2019 team did the same thing to Kansas. Speed kills.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

I think Flan and Jaylin are our best players next year. KD is gonna have to improve his 3 point shot and Wendell has to make better decisions. We definitely need another guard. 

If Flanagan is one of our best players next year, it will be a long one. Just keeping it real

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Love these guys, but if this is true you should expect a similar season to last year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Miami may be small, but Dear Lord they could jump and blocked a ton of shots. Kessler and Jabari were just getting blown by.  The 2019 team did the same thing to Kansas. Speed kills.

2019 team was experienced and learned from getting smashed by Clemson the previous year. This team would be light years better with another year together but that won’t happen

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I've talked about it in previous threads but kids now fall in love too much with the 3. I help run a basketball clinic b/c my sons play. Hell, nobody has a mid range game anymore. I've seen all tournament, players wide open 10 - 15ft only to 1. Drive into a charge or step out for a 3pt shot. They don't know what to do with 10 - 15ft open shot. No one has a floater. 

Demar D on the Bulls is killing the NBA with mid range game. This is why Jabari's game will translate well. He takes those shots face up or back to the basket. He was off tonight but kid is going to be a problem!

I don't mind the 3s if the right players are taking them and we're hitting them at a certain percentage. We just didn't have the personnel needed to generate enough offense. Still a great season. 

I love mid range shooting. Kawhi Leonard was my dude because he has that automatic mid range . 3 point game is fun, it will recruit a lot of talent and keep butts in the seat. It just frustrating because you can go on runs, but if you go cold , you can give up huge runs. I am ready to see this team transition to a point where if the 3 isn’t falling, they can fall back on something else. I also have been disappointed with the lack of continued defense intensity. Between Auburn and Memphis yesterday , I am losing my mind. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Flan??

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Love these guys, but if this is true you should expect a similar season to last year. 

Totally agree. I'm on the fence about if I even want Flanigan back, lol. There could be upgrades in the portal 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Totally agree. I'm on the fence about if I even want Flanigan back, lol. There could be upgrades in the portal 

I don't. But as long as daddy is on the sideline that won't matter. 

• Like 1

Just now, GTNupe11 said:

I don't. But as long as daddy is on the sideline that won't matter. 

Why in the hell would he start over Jaylin if this weren’t the case? Williams does everything better . Been saying this all year long.

3 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

You do realize he tore his Achilles this year right? Not every team gets to have a Jabari. 

Yes I think I do remember hearing that. Maybe the recovered Achilles will allow him to shoot straight, make layups, and not pass the ball into the stands. Other than that yeah he’s our best next year. 

I was feeling some type of way but have to remember Harper and Bryce got better throughout there tenure at Auburn. It’s hard to say how good the guards will be it was their first year together. I am sure they will work on their strengths and weaknesses in the off-season. I think there sound be a little more substance to the offense.