Games in Israel Thread

toddc

I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet but I think this might have been the best result we could hope for. While it would have been exciting to run through the competition i'm really glad the team didn't just breeze through these games. Now Pearl has some great teaching material to use over the next few months as they get ready for when the games really count. 

Overall i was very pleased with how the team looked. The newcomers have a lot of talent and will be a big help this coming season. Its going to be a real challenge for Pearl to divide up the minutes this next season. We had a lot of different lineups out there with a lot of new faces learning to play together and they looked really good most of the time. I think Westry can give us some time at PG and Broome is going to be a great player for us. Both Traore and Tre looked better than i expected. And every players was flying around on defense. 

And most important of all?? No one got hurt. So could not have hoped for a better result from these exhibition games!

Getting Traore was really a two-fer. He's at Auburn where he'll be a big help and he's NOT at LSU, where he would have been a pain to deal with.

• Like 4

I think this team is going to be good!!!

Broome is a boss!   He’s got good D, as well as an offensive game.   Traore is a very good 4.  Unfortunately, I think some people will be disappointed because he’s not Jabari, even though no one is.    It’s just the reality of the situation.    I think we can already see some improvement from Flan.   Westry is the real deal!!!   He is a major piece that was missing last year!   I can’t wait to see how his game unfolds this year. I like what I saw from Wendell at times.  He’s trying to become a more complete guard.  He’s making strides.   Cardwell has improved!  Jaylin is still Jaylin (that’s a big compliment, btw).  Adding Tre and Westry gives us a lot more options at G.  
I love that we played the Israeli national team!!!  Their ball movement really tested our D!   We’ll be a better team because of it!   I can’t wait til BB season!!!!

• Like 3

I won't offer too much of an opinion as when I do some take it as their opinions don't, interesting seeing the aggression in this thread and it's just an exhibition game......

But anyway even as big as losing two front court players to the NBA I'm really really really hoping to see an upswing in our guards to be complete players. Also interested in seeing who will or can be an alpha in this group

I could see Westry being an alpha. He made a few bonehead defensive plays, but, he seems to have some dog in him. I could also see Traore silently taking over a game. He's not as animated as a KD or even how Jabari would be to an extent, but, I can see him getting buckets when he needs to. 

Overall, I like having more options at guard and think we're better off now with the addition of Westry and Donaldson than we were last year. We'll only be as good as our guard play allows which we saw in the tournament. 

• Haha 3

Context is key here. How good professional basketball players are, let alone throwing in a top 10 pick who currently gets good minutes, cannot be understated.

Our guards' size hurt us in the final game. Size is gonna bother us there all season, but we have ways to combat that. But also, it won't be often where Wendell has a 6'9 guy guarding him.

Chance, Yohan, and Johni are going to be great new additions to the team. Chris Moore oddly had his best game against the top competition. I wanted to see more out of Jaylin, he seemed to be half a second off. Flan is going to be Flan but with more explosiveness this year.

We will look a lot better against student athletes. I think if guard plays continue to improve, the Sweet 16 is a realistic goal for this team. And really that is on par for where our program's goals should be each year, so I am excited despite having 2 NBA 1st rounders leaving the program. Wendell Green is going to be the key for us. He has to stay healthy and keep improving his floor game. 

How many college teams would've beat this Israeli team? How many could have realistically kept Deni Avdija in check? Dude is a 6'9 guard.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

Also, the way these games were officiated is certainly not going to be how our games will be called there was a lotttt more contact being allowed. Hopefully that bodes well for us

Context is key here. How good professional basketball players are, let alone throwing in a top 10 pick who currently gets good minutes, cannot be understated.

Our guards' size hurt us in the final game. Size is gonna bother us there all season, but we have ways to combat that. But also, it won't be often where Wendell has a 6'9 guy guarding him.

Chance, Yohan, and Johni are going to be great new additions to the team. Chris Moore oddly had his best game against the top competition. I wanted to see more out of Jaylin, he seemed to be half a second off. Flan is going to be Flan but with more explosiveness this year.

We will look a lot better against student athletes. I think if guard plays continue to improve, the Sweet 16 is a realistic goal for this team. And really that is on par for where our program's goals should be each year, so I am excited despite having 2 NBA 1st rounders leaving the program. Wendell Green is going to be the key for us. He has to stay healthy and keep improving his floor game. 

How many college teams would've beat this Israeli team? How many could have realistically kept Deni Avdija in check? Dude is a 6'9 guard.

Avdija got all the physical tools in the world for his frame. Not a great matchup for our young boys unfortunately (not sure what NBA would’ve, but one that isn’t in peak athletic shape would’ve been ideal) 

Unfortunately, I think some people will be disappointed because he’s not Jabari, even though no one is.

Honestly, I was encouraged more than anything. He doesn't bring that sweet stroke Jabari had, and he might not have the same level of defense, but one thing he can do that Jabari couldn't do so much of is drive to the basket through traffic.

Last year, there were two first rounders on the team. This year, there are four players (Westry, Traore, Flanigan, Broome) who could legitimately play their way into being a first rounder. Personally, I'd love to see all of them go in the 2023 lottery with a ring on their finger. And yes, I believe this team really has that kind of potential.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Honestly, I was encouraged more than anything. He doesn't bring that sweet stroke Jabari had, and he might not have the same level of defense, but one thing he can do that Jabari couldn't do so much of is drive to the basket through traffic.

Last year, there were two first rounders on the team. This year, there are four players (Westry, Traore, Flanigan, Broome) who could legitimately play their way into being a first rounder. Personally, I'd love to see all of them go in the 2023 lottery with a ring on their finger. And yes, I believe this team really has that kind of potential.

I was encouraged as well.  I think this team has the potential to be better than last year.      I can see the on court chemistry being even better than last year.  Not to mention what this trip did for off court chemistry as well!