9 game conference schedule coming?

DAG

All teams and conferences are governed by TV/Online data. Viewership and sponsorships determine rivalries vs. reminisce. Scheduling is based on future dynamics and I am sure decision makers will pair games that future viewers will be interested in watching and not necessarily what past viewers remember enjoying, i.e., impact of Boomers vs. Gen X vs. Millennials vs. so on and what that dynamic looks like in future $$$$ per group. Sounds cold but college sports is a business and based on numbers, part of what was lost when everyone sold their souls to big money. 

The Iron Bowl is one of the SEC's biggest viewer draw, therefore, there is support from TV, sponsors, conference, and universities. Everyone is happy. Hopefully, the impact of the rivalry game maintains/grows. Otherwise, macro-level pressure to change develops. 

Edited by AU_Canoe

31 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I don’t want any of those three (Florida, LSU, Tennessee) as our third but you’re completely right.

Some of our fans are monks, I swear. They’re obsessed with having as tough a schedule as possible all because of what happened almost 20 years ago.

And some of our fans don’t want to play Alabama and UGA. Which is just the most pathetic notion you could have as an Auburn Tiger.

32 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You’re correct that if we get those three, 9-3 will almost guarantee us a spot in a 12 team playoff.

Well, if the traditionalists win out, UAT would get Tennessee and MSU. Clemson routinely plays a cupcake filled schedule. 

So a schedule of 12 games should be 2 tough games, bammer and uga, 3 fluff games (ooc games of Alabama A&M types), and 7 games of meh conference games? Again, I’d rather have a tougher more marquee type opponent than a gimme game. Especially if it’s an old-time rivalry. The UF rivalry is sweet. The trip to BHG is awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

UGA wasn’t what they were 5 years ago let alone 20. Alabama hasn’t always been on top either . Things happen in cycles. 

I’m betting that poster was on the pro-leave the SEC bandwagon a few years ago. 

11 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

All teams and conferences are governed by TV/Online data. Viewership and sponsorships determine rivalries vs. reminisce. Scheduling is based on future dynamics and I am sure decision makers will pair games that future viewers will be interested in watching and not necessarily what past viewers remember enjoying, i.e., impact of Boomers vs. Gen X vs. Millennials vs. so on and what that dynamic looks like in future $$$$ per group. Sounds cold but college sports is a business and based on numbers, part of what was lost when everyone sold their souls to big money. 

Roy "Money Bags" Cramer is always the first name that comes to my mind.

Auburn-Tennessee-UGA-Alabama

Texas-TAMU-Oklahoma-Missouri

Arkansas-Vandy-OM-Miss State

Florida-FSU-Miami-LSU

Clemson-USC-Kentucky-UNC

No matter what, somebody will get screwed and somebody will have it made. Arkansas comes out roses here. So does Clemson. But these all seem competitive, geographically logical and rivalry based.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:13 PM, IronMan70 said:

My prediction, AU will play UGa every other year. We're not going to have both bama and UGa as yearly games and that's just fine. 

22 hours ago, AUght2win said:

That would be insane. I really don’t understand the thought process of those saying this. Breaking up the best rivalry in CFB and the oldest rivalry in southern football would be okay? Why even be a fan of the sport if you’re willing to sacrifice stuff like this? Imagine a Red Sox fan saying they’re fine with only playing the Yankees every other year.

To each his own but I don’t understand

It's not a question of want, it's the reality of the situation. Do you understand that we would still play UGa every other year ? That is why the pods will be so important. In a pod, all 4 teams will play the same 3 yearly games.We would be paired with bama and 2 other teams.  

Do you actually think for 1 minute that bama would allow UGa to be in their yearly pod ? Not a chance and UGa wouldn't allow that either. So it's either the Iron Bowl or the DSOR and there is no way the IB is going to every other year. So no, that's not insane, that's the reality of what we are dealing with. 

Edited by IronMan70

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Florida-FSU-Miami-LSU

Clemson-USC-Kentucky-UNC

No matter what, somebody will get screwed and somebody will have it made. Arkansas comes out roses here. So does Clemson. But these all seem competitive, geographically logical and rivalry based.

I don’t see any possible way that Arkansas doesn’t end up tied to OU and Texas. In fact , I would argue that would be set in stone and wanted by all parties .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

🤷🏻‍♂️  So, if you’re elite does that matter?  I don’t think uat, ohio st, Clemson, .. etc  cares about who they play. Put the team on the schedule and win. That should be the goal. If AUburn needs some 3rd rate team to get to the playoffs then what does that say about AUburn? I’d rather play a top tier team and possibly lose rather than play a 3rd rate team and have a probable win.  

It matters a lot.   3rd rate team????who is that?  They’re all from the SEC.   Some of this has to be about a level playing field through out the entire conference.   Sorry to break it to ya, but until Kirby and Saban retire those two are one and two in conference.   

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t see any possible way that Arkansas doesn’t end up tied to OU and Texas. In fact , I would argue that would be set in stone and wanted by all parties .

I’d be fine with that and it’d make sense. But don’t underestimate the importance of that Arkansas-LSU battle for the golden boot. That rivalry means a lot to Arky. At the same time, so does the Arky-TAMU rivalry.

I think when it comes to the western teams you have to keep Texas, AM, and OU together. The last spot in that pod is definitely either Arky or Mizzou.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Florida-FSU-Miami-LSU

Clemson-USC-Kentucky-UNC

If you saw my proposal on page 1, it would keep competitive balance while preserving the *important* rivalries.

UAT and UGA are not getting weaker any time in the next decade, so I really wanted one permanent opponent. But if those rivalries must continue, we absolutely need Vandy.

Edited by AUwent

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I’d be fine with that and it’d make sense. But don’t underestimate the importance of that Arkansas-LSU battle for the golden boot. That rivalry means a lot to Arky. At the same time, so does the Arky-TAMU rivalry.

I think when it comes to the western teams you have to keep Texas, AM, and OU together. The last spot in that pod is definitely either Arky or Mizzou.

This is true . Many of Arkansas fans hated losing that rivalry for Missouri , although Many LSU fans were “whatever” about it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

It's not a question of want, it's the reality of the situation. Do you understand that we would still play UGa every other year ? That is why the pods will be so important. In a pod, all 4 teams will play the same 3 yearly games.We would be paired with bama and 2 other teams.  

Do you actually think for 1 minute that bama would allow UGa to be in their yearly pod ? Not a chance and UGa wouldn't allow that either. So it's either the Iron Bowl or TSOR and there is no way the IB is going to every other year. So no, that's not insane, that's the reality of what we are dealing with. 

It’s not the reality at all. The reality is TV dollars.

I know some like to picture Alabama and UGA as wielding the influence of some underworld mob boss that WILL have their way, but that’s silly. The conference, those two included, will do what makes money. For better or worse. Nothing would be better for ratings right now that those two in the same pod.

So even if Alabama or UGA or Auburn would vehemently be against it (for the record, they wouldn’t be), it would happen anyway.

Also, I understand a bit of thinking Alabama has an outsized influence, with the size of their brand and dating back to the days when the Bear literally ran the conference. But what on earth makes you think UGA has any more power than us? LMAO UGA just won their first title in 40 years. They’ve got about the exact same resume as us, with a recent small window of success.

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If you saw my proposal on page 1, it would keep competitive balance while preserving the *important* rivalries. I really wanted the 1-7 format (absolutely sick of Georgia, sorry), but if we must then ok.

You can’t align conferences with true competitive balance in mind unless you’re willing to realign them every few years. Dynasties rise and fall. UGA and Alabama won’t be on top forever. Tennessee and UF won’t be down forever. You might be able to structure it loosely based on AD budget, but even that will change over time.

Proximity and rivalries are what it should come down to.

• Facepalm 1

With the schedule rotating , don't see the big need in keeping GA as the permanent (Bama will always be annual) .  I'd rather the other 2 be balanced.  I'd love to have Kentucky just because that's close to me 😆 

52 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

So a schedule of 12 games should be 2 tough games, bammer and uga, 3 fluff games (ooc games of Alabama A&M types), and 7 games of meh conference games? Again, I’d rather have a tougher more marquee type opponent than a gimme game. Especially if it’s an old-time rivalry. The UF rivalry is sweet. The trip to BHG is awesome. 

Uh, just because we don't play UF, UT, or LSU every year doesn't mean that we won't ever play any of them. I'd be willing to bet we would almost always have at least one of those three on the schedule, if not two of them. Are they still "meh conference games" then?

This is the SEC. There's no such thing as a "meh" game on the conference slate. But you're asking for trouble if you willingly make the third team on the permanent slate one of the six traditional powers, because they all have the resources to become a powerhouse with the right coach. If a coach like that comes along at Mississippi State, or Ole Miss, or South Carolina, he's virtually guaranteed to be lured away by a traditional power. But Tennessee, Florida, and LSU *are* places that could get a coach like that and hold onto him, making our schedule all the tougher.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

With the schedule rotating , don't see the big need in keeping GA as the permanent (Bama will always be annual) .  I'd rather the other 2 be balanced.  I'd love to have Kentucky just because that's close to me 😆 

No. Just no. That's the oldest rivalry in the deep south, literally our oldest rival. No chance I want to get away from that one.

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

It matters a lot.   3rd rate team????who is that?  They’re all from the SEC.   Some of this has to be about a level playing field through out the entire conference.   Sorry to break it to ya, but until Kirby and Saban retire those two are one and two in conference.   

So refuse to get in the fight because you might lose or because you’ve fought some other difficult fights. Perhaps my kids should get out of advanced placement classes because it’s difficult with those classes plus the after school jobs and sports they play. The we play bammer and uga so why would we play another tough team seems to be a defeatist mantra. JMO. 

• Facepalm 1

50 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You can’t align conferences with true competitive balance in mind unless you’re willing to realign them every few years. Dynasties rise and fall. UGA and Alabama won’t be on top forever. Tennessee and UF won’t be down forever. You might be able to structure it loosely based on AD budget, but even that will change over time.

Proximity and rivalries are what it should come down to.

There is literally no sign of either falling back to earth any time soon. I give the chance of Farquad still being there when he turns 80 (that’s 2031!) at about 85%.

9 hours ago, aubearcat said:

So refuse to get in the fight because you might lose or because you’ve fought some other difficult fights. Perhaps my kids should get out of advanced placement classes because it’s difficult with those classes plus the after school jobs and sports they play. The we play bammer and uga so why would we play another tough team seems to be a defeatist mantra. JMO. 

OK, but you’re going to have to live with never losing fewer than four games every year, something that many of us (myself included, but now thinking I might’ve been in the wrong) hated on Gus for.

If we get LSU or Florida as our third, here is what our regular season goals should be: >=6-6 100% of the time, >=7-5 75% of the time, >=8-4 50%, and 9-3 25%. Honestly even that might be unrealistic.

Edited by AUwent

29 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Uh, just because we don't play UF, UT, or LSU every year doesn't mean that we won't ever play any of them. I'd be willing to bet we would almost always have at least one of those three on the schedule, if not two of them. Are they still "meh conference games" then?

This is the SEC. There's no such thing as a "meh" game on the conference slate. But you're asking for trouble if you willingly make the third team on the permanent slate one of the six traditional powers, because they all have the resources to become a powerhouse with the right coach. If a coach like that comes along at Mississippi State, or Ole Miss, or South Carolina, he's virtually guaranteed to be lured away by a traditional power. But Tennessee, Florida, and LSU *are* places that could get a coach like that and hold onto him, making our schedule all the tougher.

Yeah, a yearly game against mizzou, usc, vandy, .. etc is meh. I never thought there would be AUburn fans that would shy away from games because those games would be tough and because AUburn had and will play difficult games. As a fan you’d rather watch a game of AU v mizzou rather than AU v UF because bammer and uga was already on the schedule and AU may lose one of those games? I’d rather AUburn be at level to compete with all those teams and watch all those games instead of AUburn being at level of needing a lower tier conference team on the schedule to compete. You know, all that work , hard work stuff…JMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

OK, but you’re going to have to live with never losing fewer than four games every year, something that many of us (myself included, but maybe thinking j was in the wrong!) hated on Gus for.

If we get LSU or Florida as our third, here is what our regular season goals should be: 7-5 100% of the time, 8-4 75% of the time, 9-3 (which would get us into a 12 team playoff with such a schedule) 25% of the time.

I disagree. If AUburn is elite, you win 2 of the 3 with great games and pageantry, all the more better. If mizzou, vandy, msu…etc is your all-time opponent, okay. However, that 2-1 or 3-0 seems diminished because you’re winning against a lesser opponent. The UF games and rivalry was great. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I disagree. If AUburn is elite, you win 2 of the 3 with great games and pageantry. If mizzou, vandy, msu…etc is your all-time opponent, okay. However, that 2-1 or 3-0 seems diminished because you’re winning against a lesser opponent. The UF games and rivalry was great. 

Yeah, and if I had a billion dollars, I’d be a billionaire!

Get real, my dude. There is no way we ever win 10 regular season games if you get your way. Doesn’t mean we can’t occasionally get to the playoff if it expands to 12, of course—and if you’re okay with that being our ceiling, fair enough, can’t argue with you.

Edited by AUwent

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah, and if I had a billion dollars, I’d be a billionaire!

True enough but if you want to take the easy way out that’s what you do. However, if you want to be the best of the best that’s what you do. Or you can always walk out the back door because there may be difficulties at the front door. You have to make the choice. 

12 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Yeah, a yearly game against mizzou, usc, vandy, .. etc is meh. I never thought there would be AUburn fans that would shy away from games because those games would be tough and because AUburn had and will play difficult games. As a fan you’d rather watch a game of AU v mizzou rather than AU v UF because bammer and uga was already on the schedule and AU may lose one of those games? I’d rather AUburn be at level to compete with all those teams and watch all those games instead of AUburn being at level of needing a lower tier conference team on the schedule to compete. You know, all that work , hard work stuff…JMO. 

Well, you see, some of us don't feel like facing murderer's row every single season. The SEC is tough enough as it is. There's plenty of intrigue with Auburn vs. Mississippi State, which was the third permanent opponent I suggested. I think it's pretty pathetic that you are trying to shame those of us who have sense, as if somehow the work is less hard when not going up against 3 of the top 20 programs in the history of the sport every single year. Good grief.

• Thanks 2