9 game conference schedule coming?

DAG

28 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I'm fine with playing them every year if they play each other too. Put us in a pod with them, fine. Us playing Georgia every year while Bama draws Tennessee, not such a good deal. Give Bama their due; they've been a monster. They don't need a schedule advantage too.  With NIL, Texas and the Aggies look to be monsters going forward too, so nobody's schedule is getting any easier.

Bama and UGA won’t play every year. That’s not happening. Might as well not even think about it. Bama is the reason for SOS so they want all the smoke. NS has been begging for a 9 game conference schedule while others balked as well as limiting OOC weak opponents. 

21 hours ago, aubearcat said:

AUburn should almost assuredly beat the MS schools every year as well as beating a usc, mizzou, or vandy. To me, it’s similar to the arguments made against Ohio ST or Clemson. Many SEC fans will complain that those teams only played 1 or 2 good conference games a year. Well, that’s what having a lower tier SEC opponent would be for AUburn. 2 good games a year and maybe 1 good ooc opponent with 9 games of meh. Play bammer, uga, UF, and 2-3 mid game ooc opponents with the other conference games and that’s a good schedule. Nobody is saying play uga, bammer, and UF 3 weeks in a row. 

Can I just say you sound like a Bama fan.   Auburn doesn’t deserve to beat anyone. It’s called, earning a victory.  You make it sound like the other schools aren’t trying to compete.    The only school that truly does that is vandy.   If you think it’s been competitive with Georgia in the last 15 years, you are a delusional fan.   

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Can I just say you sound like a Bama fan.   Auburn doesn’t deserve to beat anyone. It’s called, earning a victory.  You make it sound like the other schools aren’t trying to compete.    The only school that truly does that is vandy.   If you think it’s been competitive with Georgia in the last 15 years, you are a delusional fan.   

How does he sound like a Bama fan? That’s corny.  If most Auburn fans make the argument that we should be winning at least 8 games a year, those schools more times then not are included in those 8 wins. 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

How does he sound like a Bama fan? That’s corny. 

I don't think he sounds like a Bama fan. Just someone with ridiculously unrealistic standards/expectations.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, AUwent said:

I don't think he sounds like a Bama fan. Just someone with ridiculously unrealistic standards/expectations.

Unrealistic to say we should beat the Mississippi schools, USCe and Vandy? How is that unrealistic if most Auburn fans say at worse we should be an 8 win team ? Aren’t you the one harping that we should add the likes of those last two versus playing Bama and UGA every year? I wonder why that’s the case? Because in your mind , we will beat them more often. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Unrealistic to say we should beat the Mississippi schools, USCe and Vandy? How is that unrealistic if most Auburn fans say at worse we should be an 8 win team ? Aren’t you the one harping that we should add the likes of those last two versus playing Bama and UGA every year? I wonder why that’s the case? Because in your mind , we will beat them more often. 

Sorry, I meant that he expects us to be able to compete for championships while having to play an absurdly killer schedule every year:

-UAT

-UGA

-Florida

-Two of LSU, Oklahoma and the Texases

-Either Baylor, UCLA or Miami--two of whom have very bright outlooks and another who could potentially reach that.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Sorry, I meant that he expects us to be able to compete for championships while having to play an absurdly killer schedule every year:

-UAT

-UGA

-Florida

-Two of LSU, Oklahoma and the Texases

-Either Baylor, UCLA or Miami--two of whom have very bright outlooks and another who could potentially reach that.

I need to re-read his post because I didn’t get that . I did see he wants some highly competitive games for the fan experience . Selfishly , I want that too. I imagine we won’t get three hardcore games like that though . But some of y’all are arguing we shouldn’t be playing Georgia or Bama annually then questioning someone else’s Auburn fandom?! Nah that’s crazy to me.

Edited by DAG

There is no reality where we should not be a solid favorite against the Mississippi schools, S Carolina, Vandy, Mizzou, Arkansas, Kentucky's of the conference. Those games should never be toss up games. Are we even talking about Auburn here, we have been down for a few years but the resources, history, and ability to land a different caliber of recruits is overwhelmingly in our favor against those schools.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I need to re-read his post because I didn’t get that . I did see he wants some highly competitive games for the fan experience . Selfishly , I want that too. I imagine we won’t get three hardcore games like that though . But some of y’all are arguing we shouldn’t be playing Georgia or Bama annually then questioning someone else’s Auburn fandom?! Nah that’s crazy to me.

23 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I disagree. If AUburn is elite, you win 2 of the 3 with great games and pageantry, all the more better. If mizzou, vandy, msu…etc is your all-time opponent, okay. However, that 2-1 or 3-0 seems diminished because you’re winning against a lesser opponent. The UF games and rivalry was great. 

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I don’t see how that post has anything to do with championships ? He is not even saying we have to win all three of those games. I think more so he is getting at that if we want to get to that elite status we shouldn’t be running and some of y’all are straight running.  You can change the narrative all you want . But the funny thing is when we get vandy, the only thing the SEC is going to do is off set that with a much higher quality team every year and just rotate. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t see how that post has anything to do with championships ? He is not even saying we have to win all three of those games. I think more so he is getting at that if we want to get to that elite status we shouldn’t be running and some of y’all are straight running.  You can change the narrative all you want . But the funny thing is when we get vandy, the only thing the SEC is going to do is off set that with a much higher quality team every year and just rotate. 

He was responding to me when I said that if he wants a big third opponent, he had better be okay with losing at least four games a year, which I pointed out was a reason most of us were sick of Gus.

As for "running," it's simple. I look and I see that Georgia is at an unprecedented high that shows no sign of ebbing any time over the next ten years, after fifteen years of complete domination in that series. Expecting us to beat both them and Alabama even half the time is an absurd demand and makes us a far less attractive job than we should be. Gus had all the leverage in the world after beating both of them in 2017, regardless of what happened in the championship. We had to give him whatever he wanted.

And so I think, that maybe giving up that rivalry would give us a somewhat easier path to winning championships.

But if we're going to get both those rivalries, then maybe we should get the easiest team in the conference to compensate. It's true that rotation can increase schedule parity, but not when you have to play THREE historic powers, two of them being the best programs in the country, while many other teams are getting just one power (the idea of LSU getting both Misses, for example).

Edited by AUwent

41 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not really concerned with how you think I sound. If believing AUburn shouldn’t shy away from any contest and believing there are teams that AUburn should always expect to beat makes me sound like a bammer or whatever, that’s okay with me because that’s what I expect.
If you don’t think AUburn can compete regularly with the top teams in the nation and needs to schedule lesser opponents to get a better record, that’s your opinion. I however believe that AUburn is capable of competing at a high level no matter the schedule. With the right coach and recruiting, AUburn can be an absolute beast  

I never said that the series with uga had been competitive the last 15 years (see coaching and recruiting). During the Dye era, AUburn regularly beat uga (again see coaching and recruiting).  With the argument you’re making, because of the lack of that competitiveness, maybe AUburn should quit playing them on yearly basis because it’s tough. 

Also, I don’t know how “should” gets equated with “deserve” but yeah, there are teams in the SEC that AUburn SHOULD beat almost every time and when they don’t, it SHOULD be surprising (insert vandy, mizzou, usc, old uk). There’s obviously some that believe playing UF would be too difficult because having bammer and uga on the schedule. However, playing one at the beginning of the season, one in the middle, and one at the end mixed in with some of the lower tiered SEC schools (that AUburn SHOULD beat) and middling ooc is not that terrible, IMO. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus was losing games he had no business losing  with some of the talent we had. Are you kidding right now? He also was losing to every rival consistently as well. You can't be doing both. The same will be said of CBH too.

Yes, A&M '14 and Tennessee '18 were atrocious losses.

But "losing to every rival consistently?" Newsflash, EVERYONE loses to Nick and Kirby consistently. He still beat Nick three times, better than almost anyone else in the country. Because of that he had all the bargaining power in the world and we had no choice but to give him that massive buyout.

12 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I’m not really concerned with how you think I sound. If believing AUburn shouldn’t shy away from any contest and believing there are teams that AUburn should always expect to beat makes me sound like a bammer or whatever, that’s okay with me because that’s what I expect.
If you don’t think AUburn can compete regularly with the top teams in the nation and needs to schedule lesser opponents to get a better record, that’s your opinion. I however believe that AUburn is capable of competing at a high level no matter the schedule. With the right coach and recruiting, AUburn can be an absolute beast  

I never said that the series with uga had been competitive the last 15 years (see coaching and recruiting). During the Dye era, AUburn regularly beat uga (again see coaching and recruiting).  With the argument you’re making, because of the lack of that competitiveness, maybe AUburn should quit playing them on yearly basis because it’s tough. 

Also, I don’t know how “should” gets equated with “deserve” but yeah, there are teams in the SEC that AUburn SHOULD beat almost every time and when they don’t, it SHOULD be surprising (insert vandy, mizzou, usc, old uk). There’s obviously some that believe playing UF would be too difficult because having bammer and uga on the schedule. However, playing one at the beginning of the season, one in the middle, and one at the end mixed in with some of the lower tiered SEC schools (that AUburn SHOULD beat) and middling ooc is not that terrible, IMO. 

Georgia. Is. Not. Going. Back. To. Where. They. Were. In. The. Pat. Dye. Era. Any. Time. Soon.

The point isn't that we can't compete with the elites less than any other SEC school, it's that we shouldn't have to be playing them at a higher frequency than everyone else! And if you get your way, we will have a vastly tougher road than ANYONE else--in the conference and in the nation!

We can play Alabama and Georgia every year and as long as we get Vandy, it can still be a fairly equitable schedule for everyone. Are we ever going to go undefeated? No. But that's okay, 11-1 or even 10-2 would get us in with a 12 team playoff. But if we get Florida or LSU in that third spot, that means we are playing five powers every year while everyone else is playing three or at most four. In other words, we will fail to even reach 9-3.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

Just now, AUwent said:

Yes, A&M '14 and Tennessee '18 were atrocious losses.

But "losing to every rival consistently?" Newsflash, EVERYONE loses to Nick and Kirby consistently.

Georgia. Is. Not. Going. Back. To. Where. They. Were. In. The. Pat. Dye. Era. Any. Time. Soon.

Then why did he lose to LSU in back to back years with coach O as the coach ?! Great news flash. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Then why did he lose to LSU in back to back years with coach O as the coach ?! Great news flash. 

Gee, maybe because they had Joe Burreaux in 2018? As angry as the 2017 loss made me, at the end of the day LSU was still a 9 win team in one of the toughest stadiums to win in.

Look, we seem to at least agree that we shouldn't get a Florida or LSU in our third spot. So let's settle on that. We get to keep our two precious historic rivalries and then get the easiest team in the league to compensate, allowing for a healthy balance of tradition and SoS parity with the rest of the league in a nice compromise. :)

Edited by AUwent

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Gee, maybe because they had Joe Burreaux in 2018? As angry as the 2017 loss made me, at the end of the day LSU was still a 9 win team in one of the toughest stadiums to win in.

Look, we seem to at least agree that we shouldn't get a Florida or LSU in our third spot. So let's settle on that. We get to keep our two precious historic rivalries and then get the easiest team in the league to compensate, allowing for a healthy balance of tradition and SoS parity with the rest of the league. :)

Go look up Joe passing stats back in 2018. See, now you look foolish with those absolutes. He went 15-30 for 200 yards and zero passing TDs against UGA. He had a couple of rushing TDs in the short yard game. Stop it. You going to learn one day haha. Same thing with the scheduling. 

Edited by DAG

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Go look up Joe passing stats back in 2018. See, now you look foolish with those absolutes. You going to learn one day haha. Same thing with the scheduling.

That's fair but they're still an insanely talented team year in and year out. Yes Gus lost some games he shouldn't have but at the end of the day, would people be happy with a realistic maximum of 8-4 every year, with maybe, just maybe a miraculous 9-3 once in a decade? Because that's what would happen if Bearcat got his wish.

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

That's fair but they're still an insanely talented team year in and year out. Yes Gus lost some games he shouldn't have but at the end of the day, would people be happy with a realistic maximum of 8-4 every year? Because that's what would happen if Bearcat got his wish.

Let's see how it plays out. I highly doubt we get three intense opponents but what I will keep saying is even if we get an easy opponent the schedule will off set it.

• Like 1

I like keeping Turds and Dawgs. I like the idea of UF - we get more recruits from Florida and Louisianna, plus it's a good road trip, not saying Bourbon Street is a bad place to spend an evening, but at my age the beach is easier on my liver.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 5:39 PM, aubearcat said:

If you don’t think AUburn can compete regularly with the top teams in the nation and needs to schedule lesser opponents to get a better record

Is any other Traditional power in the SEC going to have all three yearly games be against one of the other traditional powers? I mean, would Florida's permanent games be Georgia, Auburn, and LSU? Would Georgia's be Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee? Would Alabama's be Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU?

Seriously, if that's the way we're going to play it, then okay, but I wouldn't be okay with us drawing Alabama, Georgia, and Florida when Bama gets Auburn, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt, and Georgia gets Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina. I mean, you see the advantage that gives them, don't you?

• Like 1

I think 9 conference games and "recommending but not requiring" that all conference members play an add'l P5 game makes the most sense. I also think the league should consider a way to integrate a second bye into the regular season...as two cupcakes and two byes would help with the in-season fatigue. 

I'd rather rotate through the conference faster, keep the Iron Bowl/DSOR, and get variety w/ the PSU, Cal, Baylor, UCLA, Miami types of series. There is no way that this wouldn't positively impact the media deal too, and I think season ticket demand would increase.

I hope that Auburn is competitive every year. I absolutely know that Auburn hasn't shied away from a tough schedule since 1981, so I don't understand the sentiment by a minority in this thread that wishes the road was easier. 

Edited by BigBlueWDE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Is any other Traditional power in the SEC going to have all three yearly games be against one of the other traditional powers? I mean, would Florida's permanent games be Georgia, Auburn, and LSU? Would Georgia's be Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee? Would Alabama's be Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU?

Seriously, if that's the way we're going to play it, then okay, but I wouldn't be okay with us drawing Alabama, Georgia, and Florida when Bama gets Auburn, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt, and Georgia gets Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina. I mean, you see the advantage that gives them, don't you?

I see there’s disadvantages. However, I do think uga would play Tennessee instead of usc because it’s a more traditional rivalry.  I also think UF would keep LSU and ooc FSU (which is no big deal now but they have the capability of being elite) because of traditional rivalry ties. 
I began watching AUburn in the mid ‘80s with UF being a regular opponent. They were a yearly opponent while I was in school. I realize the landscape has drastically changed but those were super fun games. Really the only time UF has consistently beat AUburn was during the Spurrier years. 

The split for the Permanent 3 games I saw was that the teams would split by "Big 8" and" Little 8"

Big 8: AU, Bama, LSU, UF, UGA, Texas, OU, A&M

Little 8: Tenn, Ark, OM, MSU, Vandy, Mizzou, UK, USC

Each of the "Big 8" teams would have 2 permanent opponents from that pool and one permanent "Little 8"

So for example:

AU = Bama, UGA, Vandy

Bama = AU, OU, Tenn

Tex = OU, A&M, Arkansas

A&M = Tex, LSU, MSU

LSU = A&M, UF, OM

UF = LSU, UGA, UK

UGA = AU, UF, USC

OU = Tex, Bama, Mizzou

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This was a pod system proposed by this poster. Pablo Escobarner proposed switching mizzou and a&m.