9 game conference schedule coming?

DAG

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

LSU is not a main Auburn rival. That’s something that has been built up by really exciting and competitive games throughout the last 30 years or so. Auburn should get Florida or Tennessee or Mississippi State. Those are schools we have extensive history with.

I think we have enough history with Turds and thUGA, TYVM.

Edited by AUwent

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

I think we have enough history with Turds and thUGA, TYVM.

I would take Mississippi State as the third permanent rival. Would rather it not be Tennessee or Florida, regardless of the amount of history we have with them. Someone mentioned that the only reason we're rivals with LSU is that there have been so many memorable games in the last 30 years. . . yeah, well, that's what it takes to build a rivalry, and we have a lot more recent history with the Corndogs than Florida or Tennessee. MY first football memory is of the Interception Game in 94. My first game in the student section was the nail biter in 04. I'm 38 years old, and I can't even remember when Tennessee was a permanent rival. The only classic game with them that I remember was in 04, when they were being talked up so much and we bitch slapped 'em up and down Neyland. (And, truthfully, the amount we dominated them at their place, and then beat them again in Atlanta when they had the motivation of having been shown up at home pushing them, is all the more impressive when you consider that Tennessee team lost a total of 3 games, including the 2 losses to us.)

Florida has a little better case, because we were still facing them every year into this century. . . but really, it shouldn't be UT, UF, or LSU if UAT and UGA are the first two. Again, Mississippi State would work. Vandy would make more sense for Bama, because it seems like Bear always made it a point to schedule them so there's some history there.

Edited by Rednilla
Perspective on how epic the 04 beatdown in Knoxville was
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AUght2win said:

LSU is not a main Auburn rival. That’s something that has been built up by really exciting and competitive games throughout the last 30 years or so. Auburn should get Florida or Tennessee or Mississippi State. Those are schools we have extensive history with.

At the very least, Tuberville's tenure that LSU game became a rivalry. That's going back 20+ years now. There was a window of time where that game was the most important one in the West. And I know there are several legendary games prior to that era as well. Earthquakes, fires, fake whistles, 4 INTs, etc 

Mississippi State would be better in terms of giving us an easier opponent to balance Bama or UGA, and maybe Florida and Tennessee have more historical draw looking back further eras but in the modern era I'd say LSU is certainly a rival of ours. Sure, we haven't been holding our end up of the bargain after Cam Newton's time which has made the matchup lose its luster a bit but there are some legendary games we have had with LSU and would definitely consider them our 3rd rival in modern times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as I'd like to see AU back playing UF and Tenn. every year I don't think that's practical. If our two other permanent opponents are to be UGA and UAT, then we are due a lesser foe for the third permanent. Should bammer get AU, UT and Vandy every year? Maybe this time they won't be able to pull off nonsense like that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I would take Mississippi State as the third permanent rival. Would rather it not be Tennessee or Florida, regardless of the amount of history we have with them. Someone mentioned that the only reason we're rivals with LSU is that there have been so many memorable games in the last 30 years. . . yeah, well, that's what it takes to build a rivalry, and we have a lot more recent history with the Corndogs than Florida or Tennessee. MY first football memory is of the Interception Game in 94. My first game in the student section was the nail biter in 04. I'm 38 years old, and I can't even remember when Tennessee was a permanent rival. The only classic game with them that I remember was in 04, when they were being talked up so much and we bitch slapped 'em up and down Neyland. (And, truthfully, the amount we dominated them at their place, and then beat them again in Atlanta when they had the motivation of having been shown up at home pushing them, is all the more impressive when you consider that Tennessee team lost a total of 3 games, including the 2 losses to us.)

Florida has a little better case, because we were still facing them every year into this century. . . but really, it shouldn't be UT, UF, or LSU if UAT and UGA are the first two. Again, Mississippi State would work. Vandy would make more sense for Bama, because it seems like Bear always made it a point to schedule them so there's some history there.

I def respect your view but I just don’t think all 24 matchups need to be history driven (though most do).

Edited by AUwent

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I def respect your view but I just don’t think all 24 matchups need to be history driven (though most do).

Um. . . did you read my whole response? Because my conclusion was that we didn't need to have the third game be against a traditional rival like UF, UT, or LSU. Mississippi State would work, but so would a lot of other schools. My problem is having the yearly rivalries against nothing but the best teams in the SEC.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Um. . . did you read my whole response? Because my conclusion was that we didn't need to have the third game be against a traditional rival like UF, UT, or LSU. Mississippi State would work, but so would a lot of other schools. My problem is having the yearly rivalries against nothing but the best teams in the SEC.

Gotcha. 

40 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I am too young for the yearly Tennessee rivalry but old enough for the Florida rivalry. Some of the best game memories are the wins over UF in the early’90s. 
The first Tennessee game I attended was the SECCG in ‘97 when they still had Peyton, Jamal Lewis, Price.. etc. Both game day experiences were amazing. 
If you play a conference schedule that includes one of those 2, you probably don’t need to schedule an ooc opponent that is above mid-tier because the strength of schedule will be strong regardless.
However, make one of the bottom tier schools of the conference as a regular opponent and happen to have one of those inexplicable losses and AUburn misses out on the benefit of the doubt. Plus, I could give a crap less about seeing a mizzou or Vandy type game. I enjoy the big game atmosphere and I understand the team doesn’t need that every week but I’d rather spend the money it takes to attend an AUburn football game on an interesting opponent as opposed to attending a game that is most likely a win. 

The fact that we have rivalries with the stronger programs is actually a good thing. We shouldn't shy away from that. We just need to get our asses in to gear to match our rivals. Which we historically have in some respect or else they wouldn't be our rivals. It's up to us to improve, not shy away 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's up to us to improve, not shy away 

Yup, that’s the point I’m attempting to articulate. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

@aubearcat: Well I hate to break it to ya, but we have games with Baylor, UCLA and Miami up the pipeline. Cancel those and I’d be grudgingly ok with a good third opponent.

@Tiger: You’d better have been satisfied with how 2017 and 19 turned out then because that’s the absolute best case scenario if you get your way. I can’t stress how rich it is that some of the same people who want as tough a schedule as possible are the same ones unsatisfied with anything but the semifinals.

Edited by AUwent

18 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

My prediction, AU will play UGa every other year. We're not going to have both bama and UGa as yearly games and that's just fine. 

That would be insane. I really don’t understand the thought process of those saying this. Breaking up the best rivalry in CFB and the oldest rivalry in southern football would be okay? Why even be a fan of the sport if you’re willing to sacrifice stuff like this? Imagine a Red Sox fan saying they’re fine with only playing the Yankees every other year.

To each his own but I don’t understand

25 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The fact that we have rivalries with the stronger programs is actually a good thing. We shouldn't shy away from that. We just need to get our asses in to gear to match our rivals. Which we historically have in some respect or else they wouldn't be our rivals. It's up to us to improve, not shy away 

Exactly. It’s beyond me how any true Auburn fan could want to run from Alabama or UGA.

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

@aubearcat: Well I hate to break it to ya, but we have games with Baylor, UCLA and Miami up the pipeline. Cancel those and I’d be grudgingly ok with a good third opponent.

@Tiger: You’d better have been satisfied with how 2017 and 19 turned out then because that’s the absolute best case scenario if you get your way. I can’t stress how rich it is that some of the same people who want as tough a schedule as possible are the same ones unsatisfied with anything but the semifinals.

The people that you keep quoting wants to see high school quality football. So yes they are satisfied with it. You are the one stressing . Mind you, I imagine the playoff expansion will happen soon enough as the conferences who originally balked at it , now understand that has conferences start adding power houses, there is a chance for more multiple losses in a season. They also understand more quality teams, equal more quality matches E.G. more money. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AUwent said:

🤷🏻‍♂️  So, if you’re elite does that matter?  I don’t think uat, ohio st, Clemson, .. etc  cares about who they play. Put the team on the schedule and win. That should be the goal. If AUburn needs some 3rd rate team to get to the playoffs then what does that say about AUburn? I’d rather play a top tier team and possibly lose rather than play a 3rd rate team and have a probable win.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

So you would willingly have a more difficult road to a championship just for the antiquated notion that we should never shy away, at all, not in the least, not even when it's the smarter thing to do?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Exactly. It’s beyond me how any true Auburn fan could want to run from Alabama or UGA.

It's not UAT or UGA that anyone is running from. It's the notion that our third permanent rival should be yet another one of the traditional powers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

🤷🏻‍♂️  So, if you’re elite does that matter?  I don’t think uat, ohio st, Clemson, .. etc  cares about who they play. Put the team on the schedule and win. That should be the goal. If AUburn needs some 3rd rate team to get to the playoffs then what does that say about AUburn? I’d rather play a top tier team and possibly lose rather than play a 3rd rate team and have a probable win.  

Bear Bryant was a master of scheduling opponents that would not challenge his team too greatly, so yeah, I think UAT cares about who they play. It can't be all cupcakes, but it can't be all juggernauts, either. Ohio State and Clemson play in conferences other than the SEC.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

The people that you keep quoting wants to see high school quality football. So yes they are satisfied with it. You are the one stressing . Mind you, I imagine the playoff expansion will happen soon enough as the conferences who originally balked at it , now understand that has conferences start adding power houses, there is a chance for more multiple losses in a season. They also understand more quality teams, equal more quality matches E.G. more money. 

You’re correct that if we get those three, 9-3 will almost guarantee us a spot in a 12 team playoff.

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

Well, if the traditionalists win out, UAT would get Tennessee and MSU. Clemson routinely plays a cupcake filled schedule. 

Edited by AUwent

18 hours ago, AUght2win said:

65-75% of the people on the planet were not alive the last time Tennessee was a rival with us. Not to mention, Tennessee also hasn't mattered in 105% of our players' lifelines. That LSU rivalry has much much more value man 

• Like 1

if winning doesn't matter to you, I would say go LSU or UF. if you do need that extra win most seasons, the most realistic availability will probably either be UK or Vandy 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

65-75% of the people on the planet were not alive the last time Tennessee was a rival with us. Not to mention, Tennessee also hasn't mattered in 105% of our players' lifelines. That LSU rivalry has much much more value man 

I don’t want any of those three (Florida, LSU, Tennessee) as our third but you’re completely right.

Some of our fans are monks, I swear. They’re obsessed with having as tough a schedule as possible all because of what happened almost 20 years ago.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I don’t want any of those three (Florida, LSU, Tennessee) as our third but you’re completely right.

Some of our fans are monks, I swear. They’re obsessed with having as tough a schedule as possible all because of what happened almost 20 years ago.

UGA wasn’t what they were 5 years ago let alone 20. Alabama hasn’t always been on top either . Things happen in cycles. 

• Thanks 2

As long as we don't have to play LSU, Bama and UGA EVERRRY season, I'd be fine with whatever. Those have essentially been auto-losses for the past decade. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Honestly, I'm fine with having a tough schedule, just because I'm slowly starting to shift to placing more value in the regular season. I think everything has become so postseason centric in CFB that it's just ruining the sport. If we have a really enjoyable 10-2 where you beat UGA or Alabama, but you lost to the other of the two and maybe LSU, I think there's fun in that

We, as well as virtually everyone in the SEC, are going to get to a point where you're basically playing an elite team every week anyway once Clemson and FSU/Miami inevitably get invited. Whatever format we get probably won't be the format in 10 years tbh 

• Like 1