9 game conference schedule coming?

DAG

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34430807/sec-leaning-nine-game-conference-schedule-which-not-only-adds-value-tv-protects-season-ticket-sales

It looks like it is only a matter of time. @aubiefifty, you will have to teach me how to embed a whole article on the comment section.

Obvious two for us: Alabama, UGA

Who will be our third ?

They really need to give us Vandy or something since we'd be paired with Bama and UGA lol

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

But honestly I'd like to see LSU be our third I'd hate to lose out on playing that game yearly. Bama and UGA can't be this much better than us forever. They will eventually come back to earth. Right, guys? Right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

But honestly I'd like to see LSU be our third I'd hate to lose out on playing that game yearly. Bama and UGA can't be this much better than us forever. They will eventually come back to earth. Right, guys? Right? 

I want florida, but I can for sure see them throwing Vandy at us. 

• Like 1

A UF or Tennessee game would be awesome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

SEC leaning toward nine-game football league schedule, which 'not only adds value for TV, but protects season-ticket sales'

play

There is mounting momentum among SEC schools to go from eight conference games to nine in football once Oklahoma and Texas join the league, sources told ESPN.

The league's athletic directors held their regularly scheduled meeting earlier this week. Administrators and coaches from multiple schools in the league said the feeling now is that the SEC will ultimately land at nine conference games with a 3-6 format when the new scheduling model is announced.

"Going to nine games not only adds value for TV, but protects season-ticket sales, donations and College Football Playoff access for more teams," one SEC athletic director told ESPN.

Another league source said there were a few schools on the fence between eight and nine games back in May during the SEC spring meetings, but added, "I think there's ample support now to get to nine. More rivalries can be played on an annual basis, and the content that an extra league game would provide for TV would mean a lot more money."

Oklahoma and Texas are set to join the SEC in 2025 and possibly a year earlier. The proposed nine-game model would include three permanent opponents each year and then a rotation of six other opponents.

For instance, Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told ESPN this week that the Aggies would be in favor of playing Texas and LSU every year and then one other permanent opponent.

One of the frustrations for many around the league with the current schedule is how long teams go without playing each other. For example, Georgia has never played in College Station against Texas A&M, which joined the league in 2012.

"If the vote were taken today, it would be nine games," an SEC athletic director told ESPN. "I thought we were there in May, too, but there was some flip-flopping. I think most of those schools have crossed over and will probably vote with the room."

Some coaches have voiced support for nine games. Alabama's Nick Saban has long been a proponent and said schools "owed it to the fans to play more good games. If we don't, they're going to quit coming."

Missouri's Eliah Drinkwitz said this summer "to me, it has to be a 3-6 model."

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher told ESPN this week he thinks nine games is "probably the best scenario. That way, you can keep alive the rivalries and the secondary rivalries, because in this league the secondary rivalries are almost as important as the primary rivalries."

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian has said it was important that the Longhorns be able to play Oklahoma and Texas A&M every year once his school begins play in the SEC. The only way to do that would be to play nine games with a 3-6 model.

Several ADs said they are hopeful the schedule plan will be finalized sometime this fall before the 2022 season is complete.

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

SEC leaning toward nine-game football league schedule, which 'not only adds value for TV, but protects season-ticket sales'

play

There is mounting momentum among SEC schools to go from eight conference games to nine in football once Oklahoma and Texas join the league, sources told ESPN.

The league's athletic directors held their regularly scheduled meeting earlier this week. Administrators and coaches from multiple schools in the league said the feeling now is that the SEC will ultimately land at nine conference games with a 3-6 format when the new scheduling model is announced.

"Going to nine games not only adds value for TV, but protects season-ticket sales, donations and College Football Playoff access for more teams," one SEC athletic director told ESPN.

Another league source said there were a few schools on the fence between eight and nine games back in May during the SEC spring meetings, but added, "I think there's ample support now to get to nine. More rivalries can be played on an annual basis, and the content that an extra league game would provide for TV would mean a lot more money."

Oklahoma and Texas are set to join the SEC in 2025 and possibly a year earlier. The proposed nine-game model would include three permanent opponents each year and then a rotation of six other opponents.

For instance, Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told ESPN this week that the Aggies would be in favor of playing Texas and LSU every year and then one other permanent opponent.

One of the frustrations for many around the league with the current schedule is how long teams go without playing each other. For example, Georgia has never played in College Station against Texas A&M, which joined the league in 2012.

"If the vote were taken today, it would be nine games," an SEC athletic director told ESPN. "I thought we were there in May, too, but there was some flip-flopping. I think most of those schools have crossed over and will probably vote with the room."

Some coaches have voiced support for nine games. Alabama's Nick Saban has long been a proponent and said schools "owed it to the fans to play more good games. If we don't, they're going to quit coming."

Missouri's Eliah Drinkwitz said this summer "to me, it has to be a 3-6 model."

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher told ESPN this week he thinks nine games is "probably the best scenario. That way, you can keep alive the rivalries and the secondary rivalries, because in this league the secondary rivalries are almost as important as the primary rivalries."

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian has said it was important that the Longhorns be able to play Oklahoma and Texas A&M every year once his school begins play in the SEC. The only way to do that would be to play nine games with a 3-6 model.

Several ADs said they are hopeful the schedule plan will be finalized sometime this fall before the 2022 season is complete.

Pls everyone learn from @toddc and post unformatted text 

I'd prefer pods of some sort.  9 games need to happen.  3 non-factor games each year is just awful.  Such an easy fix.

I'd take any of LSU, UF, UT.  I know we'll have ppl crying about hardest schedule blah blah blah...but it's fine.

• Facepalm 1

There's going to be a reckoning of OOC games.

Are they still going with "every team gets two teams from their 'tier'?"

@Tiger: There is literally zero sign of that happening any time soon.

@W.E.Dand @aubearcat: Well then don't complain when 9-4 is our absolute peak every year. Literally any of you who were sick of Gus for not being able to get over that mark had better not be wanting this to happen (I was too but if we do get literally anyone other than Vandy well then just bring him back because that's the absolute best we'll be able to do).

My proposal:

(O = host on odd; E = host on even)

Alabama
O—Louisiana State, Tennessee
E—Auburn

Arkansas
O—Missouri
E—Mississippi, Texas

Auburn
O—Alabama, Vanderbilt
E—Georgia

Florida
O—Georgia, Oklahoma
E—South Carolina

Georgia
O—Auburn
E—Florida, Kentucky

Kentucky
O—Georgia, Vanderbilt
E—Tennessee

Louisiana State
O—Texas A&M
E—Alabama, Mississippi

Mississippi
O—Arkansas, Louisiana State
E—Mississippi State

Mississippi State
O—Mississippi, South Carolina
E—Texas A&M

Missouri
O—South Carolina
E—Arkansas, Oklahoma

Oklahoma
O—Missouri
E—Florida, Texas

South Carolina
O—Florida
E—Mississippi State, Missouri

Tennessee
O—Kentucky
E—Alabama, Vanderbilt

Texas
O—Arkansas, Oklahoma
E—Texas A&M

Texas A&M
O—Mississippi State, Texas
E—Louisiana State

Vanderbilt
O—Tennessee
E—Auburn, Kentucky

Edited by AUwent

As an added bonus I'm currently working on rotating games. I think two straight years would be way better than every other because some teams would have greatly imbalanced schedules from year to year (too many big home games on one year, two many big road games on another).

*TO BE UPDATED AS MORE TEAMS ARE ADDED*

Years 1-2, 5-6, 9-10, etc.

Alabama vs. Florida

Alabama vs. Kentucky

Alabama vs. Mississippi

Alabama vs. South Carolina

Arkansas vs. Auburn

Arkansas vs. Florida

Arkansas vs. Georgia

Arkansas vs. Louisiana State

Arkansas vs. Mississippi State

Arkansas vs. South Carolina

Auburn vs. Louisiana State

Auburn vs. Mississippi

Auburn vs. South Carolina

Auburn vs. Tennessee

Auburn vs. Texas

Florida vs. Kentucky

Florida vs. Mississippi

Florida vs. Texas A&M

Florida vs. Vanderbilt

Georgia vs. Tennessee

Kentucky vs. Louisiana State

Kentucky vs. Mississippi

Kentucky vs. Mississippi State

Kentucky vs. Missouri

Mississippi vs. Texas

Mississippi vs. Vanderbilt

Mississippi State vs. Tennessee

Missouri vs. Tennessee

Oklahoma vs. South Carolina

Oklahoma vs. Tennessee

South Carolina vs. Texas A&M

South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt

Tennessee vs. Texas A&M

Years 3-4, 7-8, 11-12, etc.

Alabama vs. Arkansas

Arkansas vs. Kentucky

Arkansas vs. Oklahoma

Arkansas vs. Tennessee

Arkansas vs. Texas A&M

Arkansas vs. Vanderbilt

Auburn vs. Florida

Auburn vs. Kentucky

Auburn vs. Mississippi State

Auburn vs. Missouri

Auburn vs. Oklahoma

Auburn vs. Texas A&M

Florida vs. Louisiana State

Florida vs. Mississippi State

Florida vs. Missouri

Florida vs. Tennessee

Florida vs. Texas

Georgia vs. Mississippi

Georgia vs. South Carolina

Kentucky vs. Oklahoma

Kentucky vs. South Carolina

Kentucky vs. Texas

Kentucky vs. Texas A&M

Louisiana State vs. South Carolina

Louisiana State vs. Tennessee

Mississippi vs. Missouri

Mississippi vs. Oklahoma

Mississippi vs. South Carolina

Mississippi vs. Tennessee

Mississippi vs. Texas A&M

South Carolina vs. Tennessee

South Carolina vs. Texas

Tennessee vs. Texas

Edited by AUwent

31 minutes ago, AUwent said:

@W.E.Dand @aubearcat: Well then don't complain when 9-4 is our absolute peak every year. Literally any of you who were sick of Gus for not being able to get over that mark had better not be wanting this to happen (I was too but if we do get literally anyone other than Vandy well then just bring him back because that's the absolute best we'll be able to do).

My proposal:

Alabama
E—Auburn

Arkansas
O—Missouri
E—Mississippi, Texas

Auburn
O—Alabama, Vanderbilt
E—Georgia

Florida
O—Georgia, Oklahoma
E—South Carolina

Georgia
O—Auburn
E—Florida, Kentucky

Kentucky
O—Georgia, Vanderbilt
E—Tennessee

Louisiana State
O—Texas A&M
E—Alabama, Mississippi

Mississippi
E—Mississippi State

Mississippi State
E—Texas A&M

Missouri
O—South Carolina
E—Arkansas, Oklahoma

Oklahoma
O—Missouri
E—Florida, Texas

South Carolina
O—Florida

Tennessee
O—Kentucky
E—Alabama, Vanderbilt

Texas
O—Arkansas, Oklahoma
E—Texas A&M

Texas A&M
E—Louisiana State

Vanderbilt
O—Tennessee
E—Auburn, Kentucky

No shot that Bama draws AU, UT, and LSU as permanent rivals. They'll lose LSU, most likely, and probably get Mississippi State.

• Angry 1

34 minutes ago, AUwent said:

@W.E.Dand @aubearcat: Well then don't complain when 9-4 is our absolute peak every year

I dont complain about it like everyone seems to want too. It hasn't stopped us in the last and it isn't going to stop us going forward 

Edited by W.E.D

33 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

No shot that Bama draws AU, UT, and LSU as permanent rivals. They'll lose LSU, most likely, and probably get Mississippi State.

What a croc of ****. Hopefully Ross Dellenger of SI is right.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Didn’t Jimbo hint that A&M would get MSU?

I haven't seen any news about it, I'm just saying that's more likely what Bama's permanent rivals would be. Not getting rid of the Iron Bowl, not getting rid of the Third Saturday in October, and not going to play three of the other five traditional SEC powers on a permanent basis.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34430807/sec-leaning-nine-game-conference-schedule-which-not-only-adds-value-tv-protects-season-ticket-sales

It looks like it is only a matter of time. @aubiefifty, you will have to teach me how to embed a whole article on the comment section.

Who will be our third ?

naw man folks know i am a puter dummy. i think lsu.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

My proposal:

Alabama
E—Auburn

Arkansas
O—Missouri
E—Mississippi, Texas

Auburn
O—Alabama, Vanderbilt
E—Georgia

Florida
O—Georgia, Oklahoma
E—South Carolina

Georgia
O—Auburn
E—Florida, Kentucky

Kentucky
O—Georgia, Vanderbilt
E—Tennessee

Louisiana State
O—Texas A&M
E—Alabama, Mississippi

Mississippi
E—Mississippi State

Mississippi State
E—Texas A&M

Missouri
O—South Carolina
E—Arkansas, Oklahoma

Oklahoma
O—Missouri
E—Florida, Texas

South Carolina
O—Florida

Tennessee
O—Kentucky
E—Alabama, Vanderbilt

Texas
O—Arkansas, Oklahoma
E—Texas A&M

Texas A&M
E—Louisiana State

Vanderbilt
O—Tennessee
E—Auburn, Kentucky

Arkansas will for sure get OU and TU IMO. That’s the old southwest conference. Then you can add Missouri 

• Like 3

My prediction, AU will play UGa every other year. In the era of the pods, we won't have both bama and UGa as yearly games and that's just fine. 

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 4
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Who will be our third ?

My heart wants Tennessee because I miss that rivalry. Tired of playing the Mississippi schools but if it has to one of them I'd take State. 

Then again I'd take Vandy if they're feeling generous. 

On the other side I'd love to see Bama play Oklahoma every year. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My heart wants Tennessee because I miss that rivalry. Tired of playing the Mississippi schools but if it has to one of them I'd take State. 

Then again I'd take Vandy if they're feeling generous. 

On the other side I'd love to see Bama play Oklahoma every year. 

“Feeling generous.” Screw that, we’re owed Vandy if we have to play Turds and Humpers.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Arkansas will for sure get OU and TU IMO. That’s the old southwest conference. Then you can add Missouri 

Who is TU? :poke:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, AUwent said:

“Feeling generous.” Screw that, we’re owed Vandy if we have to play Turds and Humpers.

I don't disagree. I just don't think we'd get that break. 

I personally prefer Tennessee over the butt sniffers. My first game at Auburn was against Tennessee, so I've always enjoyed playing them over LSU or the Mississippi schools.  Always was Auburn's first SEC game of the year. Plus I'm tired of Auburn having to face bamr and uga every year.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I don't disagree. I just don't think we'd get that break. 

I strongly suggest you guys read this article:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/24/sec-football-schedule-future

So would you think we're more likely to get Clanga?

56 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I personally prefer Tennessee over the butt sniffers. My first game at Auburn was against Tennessee, so I've always enjoyed playing them over LSU or the Mississippi schools.  Always was Auburn's first SEC game of the year. Plus I'm tired of Auburn having to face bamr and uga every year.

What was good for us then isn't necessarily good for us now. I wish both our fans and Tennessee fans would realize that.

Edited by AUwent

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

LSU is not a main Auburn rival. That’s something that has been built up by really exciting and competitive games throughout the last 30 years or so. Auburn should get Florida or Tennessee or Mississippi State. Those are schools we have extensive history with.

• Like 1