School Board, anyone?

TexasTiger

Anybody here running for the school board?

School trustee tangled in Web

By William J. Kemble, Correspondent 07/31/2005

HYDE PARK - Two school board trustees say comments posted on a Web site by new board member Kevin Post may conflict with his obligation to uphold state and federal education laws.

In telephone interviews last week, Trustee Doug Hieter said a district resident contacted him about Post's comments on the Web site www.freerepublic.com under the user name kphockey2. Hieter said he's particularly concerned about seemingly homophobic comments made by Post.

Trustee Stephen Hughes said he was troubled by Post's "derogatory" references to school board actions and the types of people Post considers harmful to society.

"I hope he realizes his own personal views can't color his decisions on what the school district has to and should do," Hughes said. "I also think it was somewhat misleading of him not to fully express his position on all areas related to the school district."

Both Hieter and Hughes have asked district Superintendent Carole Pickering to look into the matter.

POST, AN operations engineer with Central Hudson in Kingston, received 1,267 votes in the May 17 school board election, making him the leading candidate among four who were vying for two seats.

Reached by telephone at work on Friday, Post confirmed having made several postings to the Free Republic Web site but declined to discuss them.

"Thank you very much for calling and checking into it," he said. "I just don't have any comment."

POST'S profile was deleted from the Web site following Friday's interview, but on Thursday night included this message: "F the Democrats! I am a former Republican Committeeman in the Town of Plattekill/County of Ulster in New York State. School Board Elect member of the Hyde Park School Board. I will eventually be a Republican Committeeman in the Town of Hyde Park/County of Dutchess in New York State."

The profile concluded with the message: "Always up for a good freep," a nickname for Free Republic counter-demonstration activities by self-proclaimed "protest warriors." Post referred in the profile to demonstrations against gay rights activities in New Paltz and antiwar demonstrators in Kingston, as well as an out-of-state anti-John Kerry campaign in 2004.

IN AN 11-paragraph account of a November 2004 trip to Clarks Summit, Pa., Post wrote: "Couple great freepers were a part of the group. First, my lovely wife, Mrs-kphockey2, who came down for the weekend; Dutchy came in Friday morning and stayed through Monday and then cam(e) back for the party Tuesday night; and finally, COACH, a freeper from Staten Island who is the founder and genius behind CatholicsAgainstKerry.com. He is a wealth of political knowledge."

In some postings, kphockey2 is accompanied by the identifier "Yasser Arafat burn in Hell" or "Michael Schiavo burn in Hell," a reference to the husband of Terri Schiavo, the vegetative Florida woman who died after her feeding tube was removed by court order earlier this year.

ON JULY 5, four days after Post started his school board term, he wrote: "Got to vote against the national school lunch program/reduced or free meals tonight. I hope it turned some heads." In another posting, he wrote that in "my first official meeting as a member of the skool board, I cast a NO vote on the participation of our district in the Nation(al) School Lunch program. Too bad the lemmings said yes."

In response to an apparent June 28 request to participate in an upcoming protest, Post declined to attend because there was a board meeting where he said he could "vote against the current sb vp (school board vice president) for not having a clue."

In response to a June 22 post about the death of a John Kerry supporter, kphockey2 wrote: "Good f'ing riddens. One less commie voter. Only 50+ million more to go."

A July 2, 2004, posting about a counterdemonstration in New Paltz opens with: "This evening we FReeped the dykes - women? - in black again." Women in Black is an organization that frequently has protested the war in Iraq.

DESCRIBING the May school board election, kphockey2 wrote: "Yesterday afternoon I unleashed a solo one-legged FREEP of the School Budget Vote in my town of Hyde Park, NY. My wife and I cast our vote against the 7%+ Budget Increase (9%+ Tax Increase). We then set up at the entrance to the parking lot. I held up my sign from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. to catch the bulk of the working voters."

Post offered this account of a 2004 counterprotest in Kingston: "On Saturday Nov. 13, the forces of Good and Evil once again clashed, this time in Kingston, NY. The leftists were there to 'Protest the Iraq War and the loss of life in Falluja.' The leftist scum amassed on the Academy Green with about 100 in number."

IN A Jan. 4 posting on social events attended by Tri-State Chapter members of Free Republic, Post wrote:

"As you probably already know, THE ANN COULTER joined us for our party. The look on everyone's face when she arrived was priceless! There was a simultaneous "Holy $@%#, is that Ann Coulter?!" Coulter is a conservative commentator and author whose best-selling books include "Treason" and "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)."

IN OTHER postings prior to the school board election, Post wrote that his Free Republic background could hurt his chances of becoming a school board member. In a March 11 posting under the heading "Freeper planning on school board - any advice?" he responded to one person's statement that "my ideas are far to radical" by writing: "So are mine. Keeping my mouth shut until after election day."

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.cfm?..._id=74969&rfi=6

Archived