with the risk of looking like a dummy.....

aubiefifty

does miss state have better players than washington state? leech has shocked me to the point i wish we had gotten him. even his d seems to be playing better.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

does miss state have better players than washington state? leech has shocked me to the point i wish we had gotten him. even his d seems to be playing better.

Not a shock to me. 

Was just thinking the other day, with all this talk going around about hiring Deion, or Lane, if you're going to hire a coach out of Mississippi you might as well hire the best one in the state currently. That being Mike Leach. 

• Thanks 1

I think he is similar to Gus in that he has a lot of 8 and 9 win seasons with the occasional big season mixed in. The big difference is he has never had access to the talent level that Gus was able to recruit here. 

He has shown 3 times now that he can turn a mediocre program into a competitive team.

I think the bigger problem with him is he is an oddball and people in control don't want him to be the face of their program. 

It would be interesting to see what he could do at a top tier school.   

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, nurbis said:

I think he is similar to Gus in that he has a lot of 8 and 9 win seasons with the occasional big season mixed in. The big difference is he has never had access to the talent level that Gus was able to recruit here. 

He has shown 3 times now that he can turn a mediocre program into a competitive team.

I think the bigger problem with him is he is an oddball and people in control don't want him to be the face of their program. 

Yep, give him Saban, or Kirby's roster, and he may never lose a game.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nurbis said:

he has a lot of 8 and 9 win seasons with the occasional big season mixed in.  

That sounds great and exactly what auburn needs and what auburn will always be even at our best. Perhaps if we were in the acc we can sustain like clemson over the past few years but we are not therefore i have reasonable expectations. 

• Dislike 1

I was thinking the other day that I wouldn't mind someone from that coaching tree, esp. if they mixed back in the run more. I don't know that there is anyone that would be a good fit, though:
https://lubbil.ngontinh24.com/article/the-mike-leach-coaching-tree

3 minutes ago, tsande07 said:

I was thinking the other day that I wouldn't mind someone from that coaching tree, esp. if they mixed back in the run more. I don't know that there is anyone that would be a good fit, though:
https://lubbil.ngontinh24.com/article/the-mike-leach-coaching-tree

That would probably look something like the missouri football offense we played against in the sec champ game way back when.

Leach is alright, he's got a veteran qb this year but i personally wouldnt want his offense on the plains however i do admit it would be interesting to see what he could do. I like heupels apporach to passing and running at tennessee currently

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 11:57 AM, nurbis said:

Exactly. He got Texas Tech to a #1 ranking by beating Texas in 2008. He can coach up players and has always punched above his weight class. He does have the occasional stinker games where you're left scratching your head at WTF just happened? I would love to see him have top talent.

Fun fact: Mike Leach is one of the few head coaches that never played organized football at any level. Charlie Weis was another one.

On 10/8/2022 at 2:02 PM, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I like heupels apporach to passing and running at tennessee currently

I'm sold on Heupel's 25 year old transfer QB who is having a once in a lifetime season. Let's wait another year or two before we consider Tennessee's coaching problems solved.